Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career BG's 1-season challenges 5/5: DT with Ronni & Messi

EPIC that is the only word to describe what you have done here BG, purely EPIC

what a contest and in the end Goliath (as I think we all knew deep down) took the challenge, but David did himself and you very proud, but the fact that Lewandowski took corners, no free kicks or penalties and still managed to score an avg 1 per game shows how good he is, but thats nothing to take away from David who fought until his last breath

Bring on Challenge 4 dude, can't wait to see what your Crazy A%* comes up with next

6 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Thank you so much. Hope people will remember this career next time they hear Tasos Karamanos :)

I started a new save last night and came within a millimetre of signing him as a squad player in league 1 ?

4 hours ago, veerus said:

Good point, I forgot you were cheating and playing him as a DLF. :red::laugh:

You'll need to sit the next one out :)

3 hours ago, Taff said:

EPIC that is the only word to describe what you have done here BG, purely EPIC

what a contest and in the end Goliath (as I think we all knew deep down) took the challenge, but David did himself and you very proud, but the fact that Lewandowski took corners, no free kicks or penalties and still managed to score an avg 1 per game shows how good he is, but thats nothing to take away from David who fought until his last breath

Bring on Challenge 4 dude, can't wait to see what your Crazy A%* comes up with next

Appreciate it, mate!

It's hard to settle on a number when playing a new challenge. Lewan was always going to score but I was slightly worried Tasos would be no match at all. I estimated and hoped he'd do OK at least and really glad it worked out.

Same thing for the next one. Never done anything like it so it's hard to settle on a specific number. But it can also be done without a minimum so I might go with that and just get a best score in. Any followers will then have a benchmark to aim for a break.

39 minutes ago, Brenty92 said:

I started a new save last night and came within a millimetre of signing him as a squad player in league 1 ?

Tasos Karamanos, the Almost-David ;)

Great work Bati, you should have come up with a better tie breaker, like a coin toss. I'm sure we'd all have trusted you! 

2 hours ago, Idol said:

Great work Bati, you should have come up with a better tie breaker, like a coin toss. I'm sure we'd all have trusted you! 

I had no games left in the season. Somewhat glad I didn't need to figure out an alternative decider. Coin toss would've been an option tho :) cheers mate.

BG's 1-season challenges 4/5

- The Comeback Kidd -

?

Updates will drop as follows:

• The Introduction
  • BG's Masterplan
  • 1st. Half Season
  • 2nd. Half Season

(The Introduction coming soon..)

- The Comeback Kidd -

- The Introduction -

Welcome to my latest, and penultimate, installment of my 1-season challenges. Before I started this career that consists of five 1-season challenges I had roughly in mind which ones I was going to attempt. This, however, was not one of them. Reading through existing challenges posted by many of you inspires me to try new things and this particular one was inspired by a certain Viber who created a "fast-car challenge". The entire challenge is a great read and inspirational but it was the single word 'overtake' that made something in my head go 'vrooooom'... a lengthy career became a single-season one... overtake in the league table transformed into comeback in a game... and here we are.

• The Internet says: a comeback (or come-from-behind) is an occurrence of an athlete or sports team engaged in a competition overcoming a substantial disadvantage in points or position, particularly if this results in the disadvantaged team winning. It has been described as "the single greatest aspect of competition that most embodies the spirit of what makes sport extraordinary".

Wow. "The spirit of what makes sport extraordinary". That's beautiful. I want some of that! :) And I'm getting some of that. I've never attempted anything like it so it's kinda hard to settle on a challenging but not impossible amount of..you guessed it..comebacks in a season. After looking thru several of my and other posters' recent careers I've gathered enough info and match statistics to settle on a number that's slightly above the average amount of comebacks a season. Again, never attempted anything of its kind so I hope my calculations are right in going with a team that plays roughly 50 games a season. And the number of successful comebacks I've settled upon will be just under half the to-be-played games; 20.

• FMM17 says: a successful comeback is winning the game after trailing (0-1, 0-2, 1-2 etc..) at any point in the game.

So what I'm going to try to do is fall behind..deliberately..in order to be able to make a comeback and win the game. Sounds easy? No. Of course it isn't, you risk losing games. Too many losses and it's another club added to your lengthy resume. Key is getting behind as early in the game as possible in order to increase your chances of making a successful comeback and not ending up losing the game. It's a challenge I'm more happy willing to take on. I've got a plan in mind but it still needs polishing.

So who's this Comeback Kidd you say? Who said anything about a kid? or player? I've done enough player-based challenges already and goal-scoring ones too. This is completely different, but hopefully just as crazy. :) If you think about it there's really only one team I could be attempting this madness with. I'm of course talking about Vanarama National League North side..

The Comeback Kidd with..

Kidderminster Harrier FC

cVLH8X5.png

Challenge inspired by: @mcandrew003 big thanks to you!
Challenge link: an adaptation of The Vibe Grand Prix
Challenge objectives:
  • Easy - Keep The Job
  • Medium - Secure Promotion
  • Difficult - Win The League
  • Insane - 20 Comebacks

Thanks for reading and comments of any sort appreciated. Stay tuned for the next update..

- BG's Masterplan -

Wow! Thanks for taking insapration off the challenge, and it's a fantastic little idea. Doing it with Kidderminster tied in beautifully aswell. Go and smash it Bati!

8 hours ago, Brenty92 said:

So 10 players up front until behind then one of Bati's super tactics bails you out? Interesting challenge bud!

Dude! What's with the spoiler?? Guess it spares me the "masterplan" update lol. Not quite tho but could work just as well I suppose.

7 hours ago, mcandrew003 said:

Wow! Thanks for taking insapration off the challenge, and it's a fantastic little idea. Doing it with Kidderminster tied in beautifully aswell. Go and smash it Bati!

Thanks. Not that you need it, but It's a little push in the back to continue posting challenges ;)

6 hours ago, samhardy said:

Good luck Ayrton!

Thanks mate. Totally off-topic, but I stopped watching Formula 1 when this great Legend passed. Truly shocked and lost all interest since then. Now tho my interest has slowly picked up again since the arrival of teen sensation and Dutchie Max Verstappen. Vrooooom.. and back to Kidderminster :)

5 hours ago, Mr.Manager said:

Ah lovely. I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about this. I think you've got this though man, I can see you smashing that target!

Thanks, I'm confident as well, but I gotta say 20 is a misleading number. I'm estimating to need around 35+ wins to secure 20 comebacks, and Kidderminster aren't particularly known for their talents. Tricky stuff here.

3 hours ago, Ashez said:

This is going to be insane! Cracking idea mate, best of luck :) 

Best remedie for a failure is getting back to winning ways. Let's hope I can soften the pain from my most recent loss with victory here. Thanks mate!

1 hour ago, Real_Random said:

Interesting concept, good luck

Thanks biggie! Will need some luck too.

Unfortunately I think you should have named this challenge after this man 

220px-Shawn_Michaels_at_WrestleMania_XXI

You've just given yourself too much to do surely?!? I'm almost gutted I'm likely going to miss it's conclusion! If I do make sure you remind me! 

I sure remember him. Wasn't one of his nicknames The Heartbreak Kid? Off-topic again lol.. I remember first watching this when Tito Santana dominated the ring. Good ooooold days :)

1 hour ago, BatiGoal said:

I sure remember him. Wasn't one of his nicknames The Heartbreak Kid? Off-topic again lol.. I remember first watching this when Tito Santana dominated the ring. Good ooooold days :)

Indeed, it's Shawn Michaels aka HBK :D. 

3 hours ago, AndersJ said:

Great challenge ! Looking forward too see more! ???

Thanks mate, it's taking longer than I thought preparing this not-so-great squad for the challenge. Still in pre-season :D

Great stuff going on here! 

On David vs Goliath: wow, so close, edge of the seat stuff. It's incredible that you got him so close. Really enjoyed seeing how you did it too!

On this crazy Comback Kid thing: this is going to be real interesting too. Tickles me a bit because I'm doing the exact opposite in my Second Chance career: Trying to get Armstrong as many goals as possible in the first 70 or 80 minutes, then throw the game right at the end...

@scratch99 thanks mate, despite losing to Goliath it was a very enjoyable save. Alternating strikers enabled me to follow the race step by step until the finish line and that made it really fun to play.

@Taff :laugh:

- The Comeback Kidd -

cVLH8X5.png

- The Masterplan -

Reminder of the challenge objectives:
  • Easy - Keep The Job (side challenge)
  • Medium - Secure Promotion (side challenge)
  • Difficult - Win The League (side challenge)
  • Insane - 20 Comebacks (main challenge)

Before we get to the Masterplan, which in all fairness isn't that "master" tbh but it sounds so damn cool :) but before we get to that let's have a look at the new squad. Kidderminster don't have great players -what a surprise eh!- so in order to deliberately go a goal down to force a comeback we really need much better players than we have right now. It's very risky to fall behind and there's limited time to win games as a result so we need to be much stronger in attack. I was shocked when I had a look at the attacking-minded midfielders and flank players. The 'Creativity' in the squad is way below par. That's a major concern so we must address this asap. A second top priority is our GKs. We have two 17yo keepers who are in no shape or form ready for a full season of "comebacks". We'll concede way more than necessary with either one in goal so we must address this pressing matter as well. The rest of the squad isn't too terrible but a couple improvements here and there is of course always welcome and will make my job a little easier eventually.

Transfers In & Out

3oQtdRt.png

There's a very very limited budget at this Vanarama National League North side so we don't have a lot to spend. I spent a few hours looking for decent players to add to the squad and I must say I'm quite happy with the result.

Goalkeepers - Chris Willis (5K + p/ex). I'm delighted with Chris. There were about 5-6 GKs on my shortlist and they were either snatched away from me by other teams or they had excessive wage demands. So I'm glad we got this new GK in goal and won't be needing to rely on a 17yo who isn't as good as our new man. It's a big boost to the squad to have a GK with 2 greens in the essential attr. and another 2 not too far off.

Defenders - Two decent defenders CB and LB were already at the club but we needed reinforcements. So we got Haining (10K) and Chambers (free) to join us. Another great deal for a good price and I feel much more confident now with a strengthened backline. I want to allow 1 goal into the net but once the opponents receive their X-mas gift it needs to be an inpenetrable wall!

Midfielders - Here's where I was looking for real quality. We are in dire need of providers for the striker. I must have had like 25-30 on my shortlist but it was a real battle getting good guys in. Rival bidders, wage demands, club too small, etc etc wasn't easy to get the players I was looking for. Or..the standard I was looking for but we eventually ended up with 2 quality additions for our midfield in Burns (free) and Lavery (6K). They both cover essential positions right behind the striker so I'm very pleased. The other midfielders at the club will do a respectable job I'm sure.

Forwards - I had no good strikers at the club to work with. 'Shooting' alone doesn't cut it, so it was a trip to the market once more. I'm playing a 1-striker formation so I only need a couple good men. 10-ish on my shortlist and I managed to get 3. That's perfect as I may switch to a 2-striker formation mid-season if things aren't going to my liking. We got Curran (20K), Fairhurst (22K) and McLaughlin (7K). Strikers are generally the more expensive additions but we just had enough to get them all in so I'm really happy with the current squad atm. The other players are minor additions for quality squad depth.

The Masterplan

Main Formation

lstCRwb.png

This is what we're planning to play - and realize those 20+ comebacks with. New GK Willis between the posts. A pretty good backline with new boys Haining and Chambers. A 5-man midfield with DLP Croasdale in the center and 4 providers in front of him. Ngwatala is a striker but I was unable to find a better winger in his place so he's going to play right there with his fine left foot. Knights makes a solid right flanker and new boys Burns and Lavery play in AMC. The striker's spot is really competitive with 3 new boys. Altho McLaughlin lacks pace, he'll start as a sub, Curran and Fairhurst made it hard for me to decide whom of the two is going to be the starter. It's Curran for now as Fairhurst joined with a minor injury and still needs time to fully recover. But it's going to be a healthy battle for FC spot.

The Plan

K84rIsO.png

This is it. Nothing spectacular tbh. I simply switched GK Willis with ST Curran. Remember, I need 20+ comebacks in order to complete this challenge so we need to go a goal down asap. I don't want to score and I do want to concede so playing the formation on the left makes sense. If mid first half I'm still not a goal down I'll switch to the formation on the right. That should open up enough for the opponent to strike. If I lose too much "time" conceding goals I'll skip formation "left" and start with "right" from kick-off. It's crucial we concede a fast goal as every minute that passes it's less time we get for a potential comeback. There could be times that we're unlucky and don't concede fast enough or face even worse opponents. I've promised myself that if we do not concede in the first half I'll just play for the win. Kidderminster is a pretty decent team now -much better than at the start- but it's too risky even for this team to try and trail in the 2nd half and still put on a fight for 3 pts. We risk losing too many points and if that happens I lose my job and this challenge. So the damage really needs to happen in the first half, but I'm quite confident that won't be a major problem. And if it is I'll go with @Brenty92 plan to play 10 attackers or 10 flank players :)

Thanks for reading. Any related blabber is much appreciated. See you next update everyone. Cheers!

Next Update

- 1st half season -