Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Mr.Manager Tries the Best League In The World Challenge

Recap

We're in to season 25 and I promise that this will be my last change of club…

But where would I go? I need one last decent club, that would have the resources and potential to be turned in to a Champions League winning force relatively quickly.

There was only one candidate really…

Back to Bala (Seasons 25 - 30)

This is it, one last push for glory!

We're back where it all started. We left Bala Town 9 seasons ago to strengthen the rest of the league, but the club has continued to tick along impressively without me.

A lot of the players I left behind are still here, good quality but very old. And my son is still on the books too, it's going to be great to be reunited with the chip off the old block: Emyr Manager!

Our first season back in the hotseat couldn't have gone much better…

IMG_2030.thumb.PNG.9d49eb11baad1d1cf8464d72ba9f590c.PNG

EURO Cup winners!

Season 26 was good, but not quite good enough:

IMG_2029.thumb.PNG.930b16645649e77766940473dbc49313.PNG

A bit of a limp display in the Champions League quarter finals as we were beaten 2-0 on aggregate by Milan in the quarter finals.

A weird twist of fate in season 27 saw us face the exact same opposition at the exact same stage…

IMG_2028.thumb.PNG.e5f1893a7286eda769affc5decab1287.PNG

Exact same result. Well, we managed to score this time, but again they dumped us out. Bummer.

Seems like time is running out on this challenge. Can we at least finish with a bang?

IMG_2027.thumb.PNG.9ad11f8beb2f8413703e6799ed8b741e.PNG

Winner! Two more of those please. 

IMG_2026.thumb.PNG.e0a0c5395bf417eaa956992c81a41dbd.PNG

Second trophy in a row…

IMG_2034.thumb.PNG.09c4d1ca4f5efdababa0c61a1979254a.PNG

And in our final season we lost in the final…

So, some great performances by Bala in Europe. But we can't get that number 1 ranking on our own…

Europe - Other Welsh clubs

The success of this challenge was always going depend on how I could get the rest of the clubs to get on.

The good news was that the likes of Carmarthen, Connah's Quay, Llandudno, Prestatyn and Haverfordwest all managed to make the knockout rounds.

The bad news is that none of them got mucher further than that, and never consistently. Carmarthen made the quarter finals of the EURO cup in season 26, but that was about as good as it got…

Rankings

At the start of my return to Bala, the Welsh league was the sixth strongest in the world.

Getting higher than that was going to be very difficult. 

Remember, it's only the four most recent seasons that count…

IMG_2032.thumb.PNG.4b7d734fd8b429c2ed6d45b979477c8a.PNG

No cigar! We didn't ever improve on that #6 ranking.

Interestingly, season 30 might have been our best season yet - yes Bala were beaten in the final of the Champions League, but Carmarthen made it to the semifinals of the EURO Cup and were unlucky to lose out to Porto. Haverfordwest also made the second knockout round. 

I'm confident that if this challenge could run for another 10 seasons, we would take that number 1 spot. As it is, I'm happy with how we got on, and I'm proud of all of the Welsh contingent.

I know it's a really long challenge, but I'd be fascinated to see if anyone can do better than me and take the Welsh league in to the top 5…

Thanks for following guys.

IMG_2035.PNG

IMG_2036.PNG

IMG_2037.PNG

Well... I've been meaning to read this for weeks and I just read through all of it - it took 30 minutes (I started reading it before you posted this last update). I guess I timed my run into the box nicely!

Great job mate, sorry you got stuck on 6th, but realistically that was a massive achievement in it's own right, absolutely epic! Just really fantastic achievements. What were the budgets like in the end?

Anyway, I'm definitely not gonna copy you this time (and try this one). No way! ?

Perfect timing (although wouldn't expect anything less from Adam Armstrong himself)!

Thanks man, to be honest, I never thought i'd actually get the top spot. Hence the title "tries"! But yeah, definitely happy with getting as far as i did. 

The budgets weren't bad towards the end, i was able to afford £60k wages and probably got something like £10m each season. What was good to see was that the other Welsh clubs were all improving their facilities even without me so by the end they all had some good players and a bit of money in the bank.

I don't blame you for not fancying this one though, too many long careers can be a killer! I think I might have one last save left in me before we move on to FMM18...

2 hours ago, Mr.Manager said:

I think I might have one last save left in me before we move on to FMM18...

Can't wait to see what it is!! ?

44 minutes ago, anfieldsquirrel said:

Superb career, sad it's over :( Getting Wales to number 6 is some achievement!

Thanks mate! I gave it my best shot.

Dude, as I have said multiple times, you have achieved something huge here, and there is no taking that away from you, it's one thing to win the UCL with a shitty Welsh team (it's OK for me to say that as a Welshman) but to get 6 out of 12 competing in Europe is huge, and moving them from something like 50th to 6th is MASSIVE!!!

Huge congrats dude a job very well done

24 minutes ago, Taff said:

Dude, as I have said multiple times, you have achieved something huge here, and there is no taking that away from you, it's one thing to win the UCL with a shitty Welsh team (it's OK for me to say that as a Welshman) but to get 6 out of 12 competing in Europe is huge, and moving them from something like 50th to 6th is MASSIVE!!!

Huge congrats dude a job very well done

Thanks mate, really appreciate it. Good to have had you cheering me on since day 1 too!

I don't know where Bala is but it'd be cool to go and watch them in real life... Are you local to any of these Welsh league teams?

31 minutes ago, Mr.Manager said:

Thanks mate, really appreciate it. Good to have had you cheering me on since day 1 too!

I don't know where Bala is but it'd be cool to go and watch them in real life... Are you local to any of these Welsh league teams?

No I actually live in Hereford but from my Home  village the nearest one would be Cardiff Met Uni, or Port Talbot, most of the teams are based either West or North Wales 

I just looked it Up and Bala is on the outskirts of Snowdonia National Park and not that far from our Main man @Ashez, who's sure to be well up for a trip to Bala with you 

Was a joy to follow this epic journey. Much better than I deemed possible and I think it's given a lot of readers hope to get a worthy run in for any of the lower leagues. Great job! Big congrats!

Like others I've read through this all today. A thoroughly enjoyable journey and remarkable to see how far you've come! Probably one of my favourite careers of the year :)

P.S Tom Lawrence loved scoring in Europe!

19 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Was a joy to follow this epic journey. Much better than I deemed possible and I think it's given a lot of readers hope to get a worthy run in for any of the lower leagues. Great job! Big congrats!

Cheers BG! Glad to prove you wrong :P

19 hours ago, samhardy said:

Like others I've read through this all today. A thoroughly enjoyable journey and remarkable to see how far you've come! Probably one of my favourite careers of the year :)

P.S Tom Lawrence loved scoring in Europe!

Thanks mate, means a lot! It's probably best reading it in one go as you can easily see how far we progressed. Ah man, Tom Lawrence might well be my favourite player this season...

13 hours ago, mcandrew003 said:

Huge congratulations, one of the biggest achievements of the year and yet again you managed to lure us all in with a incredible career. Well done!

Thanks mate! It's funny - I technically failed, but no one seems to care! Everyone seems to have enjoyed the journey and that's really great. Thanks again pal.