Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help How do you counter the counter?

I recently started a career in the Premier League as Sunderland. It's been going pretty decent so far, but now in the latter half of the season I'm coming up against a lot of teams who counter attack. While I've gotten some results, teams at or below my level with counter attack on are ripping me apart. Any tips to slow them down? I'm currently running a 4-4-2 attacking with only pressing on.

I would think about using the offside trap, to catch that last man running in behind your defence or ease up on your attacking formation and limit your pressing as this will leave gaps for them to run into. 

Maybe it isn't specifically the 'counter attack' that's ripping you apart. Pressing may tire your players out quickly and force them out of position. Try without it. Another thing you could try is go with 'balanced' ment. Sunderland aren't a top team at the start so going attacking will cause you problems at the back.

A decent first 6 months means little. Keep tweaking and looking for weak links/players to improve in the next transfer window.

Generally 3 main ways to counter a good counter-attacking team.

1. Better players

Yeah, not exactly the option for every team. But this is the strategy to go for long term with any long term save. No counter-attacking team can do their thing when your centre backs are faster than their wingers/strikers. The goal conversion will also be much lower with an infallible goalkeeper between the sticks.

Not every team are like that, so probably the next 2 strategies are for you.

2. More defensive mentality

If your defenders aren't defensively a wall, then obviously you need to position them further back. They need to be able to get back when your are being counter-attacked.

3. Rough play

Playing with aggressive players or with committed tackling can be a risk. But it is a worthwhile risk if you are inferior enough to the opposition that they could run circles around your players.

8 hours ago, Tom476 said:

I would think about using the offside trap, to catch that last man running in behind your defence or ease up on your attacking formation and limit your pressing as this will leave gaps for them to run into. 

Not sure if my central defenders are good enough to run the offside trap but ill keep that in mind thanks.

4 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Maybe it isn't specifically the 'counter attack' that's ripping you apart. Pressing may tire your players out quickly and force them out of position. Try without it. Another thing you could try is go with 'balanced' ment. Sunderland aren't a top team at the start so going attacking will cause you problems at the back.

A decent first 6 months means little. Keep tweaking and looking for weak links/players to improve in the next transfer window.

I'll take off pressing, i definitely think it tires them out but also opens up the team to be ripped apart by passing teams. Also when I attacking 442 i mean with two wingers playing up in the attacking midfield area as inside fowards. I almost always am in balanced mentality unless im down a goal (happening often now lol)

4 hours ago, Meow said:

Generally 3 main ways to counter a good counter-attacking team.

1. Better players

Yeah, not exactly the option for every team. But this is the strategy to go for long term with any long term save. No counter-attacking team can do their thing when your centre backs are faster than their wingers/strikers. The goal conversion will also be much lower with an infallible goalkeeper between the sticks.

Not every team are like that, so probably the next 2 strategies are for you.

2. More defensive mentality

If your defenders aren't defensively a wall, then obviously you need to position them further back. They need to be able to get back when your are being counter-attacked.

3. Rough play

Playing with aggressive players or with committed tackling can be a risk. But it is a worthwhile risk if you are inferior enough to the opposition that they could run circles around your players.

Ill try commited tackling thanks.