Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Where am I going wrong?!

When a new FM comes out, I spend months of fun coaching in all kinds of countries and leagues. I've had great fun in 17 taking clubs to several promotions, winning silverware with underdogs etc.

But once all that fades and the season closes, I turn my attention to a more fun and relaxed attempt at domination with a big club.

No thrills really, just toying with a big budget. Problem is, I can't actually ****ing do it! Particularly in England.

My latest adventure was Chelsea. Spent my massive budget signing some young players but also good enough for first team. Played the same tactics I play with every club, one which saw me finish 3rd with Newcastle.

We were well in the title race until March, only to fall away completely, resulting in me being sacked with 2 games left.

So the question is, why do I find it so damn hard?

Honestly mate I have had the same problem with this years FM at the start I loved it and it was great but for the last few months it's gotten quite boring. I start a save do some good business in the summer window and then my team play awful and I give up. 

Doesn't seem to be a formation issue as you've been having success with it, more like a consistency thing mainly. If the team performance drops like that obviously the players aren't pulling their weight anymore. I know EPL seasons coupled with Eur. and ITN games can be really gruelling to the players. If they're not 'tired' from playing 1 game they're 'fatigued' from playing 3 in a week for months.

Best advice I can give you is to make sure you rotate your players over the season. The #games I go for is 50 tops. I try not to overplay anyone unless I'm doing a challenge. Squad depth is key. Hopefully a quality bench brings back your consistency.

You could try something that I did on fmm16 and have been doing in my current save on 17. On 16 I had a Real Madrid save, by the start of season 2 I had 2 full first teams and rotated the whole outfield every game. 

IMG_1213.thumb.JPG.816871cc4b71b383572fe2d94d98a613.JPG

IMG_1214.thumb.JPG.cf73bf63d5200a8fc69de52e4c1f7783.JPG

obviously with the players rotating every game they are always in top condition, hardly get injured and morale is high because every player in the squad is playing, I only had a squad of 22.

during must win games like cup finals and semis I combined the 2 teams to make the strongest possible.

im doing the same with Leeds now on 17 but it's taken me 5-6 seasons to reach be able to rotate between 2 teams, won the PL last season doing it tho. 

Ps it gives you a massive advantage come the end of the season when every team is blowing out there ass and yours is fresh. 

Could probably be possible to achieve in first season with Chelsea if you buy smart, I spunked all 150m on cavani and pogba so didn't start it till 2nd season. 

3 hours ago, gazroid27 said:

You could try something that I did on fmm16 and have been doing in my current save on 17. On 16 I had a Real Madrid save, by the start of season 2 I had 2 full first teams and rotated the whole outfield every game. 

IMG_1213.thumb.JPG.816871cc4b71b383572fe2d94d98a613.JPG

IMG_1214.thumb.JPG.cf73bf63d5200a8fc69de52e4c1f7783.JPG

obviously with the players rotating every game they are always in top condition, hardly get injured and morale is high because every player in the squad is playing, I only had a squad of 22.

during must win games like cup finals and semis I combined the 2 teams to make the strongest possible.

im doing the same with Leeds now on 17 but it's taken me 5-6 seasons to reach be able to rotate between 2 teams, won the PL last season doing it tho. 

Mate that's a great Idea you know, I'm hibs and don't have that calibre of money but something that I'll definitely keep in mind for my next save

? You can use the load/save selection feature, speeds things up a lot.

I thought if you wanted to take things to the extreme and you had the monies you could even have 3 teams, league home/league away/cup. I've never tried that tho, a lot of ppl prolly use a cup team already anyway. 

46 minutes ago, gazroid27 said:

? You can use the load/save selection feature, speeds things up a lot.

I thought if you wanted to take things to the extreme and you had the monies you could even have 3 teams, league home/league away/cup. I've never tried that tho, a lot of ppl prolly use a cup team already anyway. 

I wouldn't recommend 3 teams tho. The lack of game time for most players would hinder their development significantly, not to mention the "feels he's a first team regular" moans, which would affect squad morale.

2 teams is the most balanced solution.

I use more of a 'rolling' squad, meaning that the moment I feel someone is underperforming, I replace them. That gets me to 3/4 consecutive games per player.

Other than that, I erase my roster EVERY single game and repick them. It gets me to a more evenly distributed playing time.

1 hour ago, Jens said:

I use more of a 'rolling' squad, meaning that the moment I feel someone is underperforming, I replace them. That gets me to 3/4 consecutive games per player.

Other than that, I erase my roster EVERY single game and repick them. It gets me to a more evenly distributed playing time.

Wow mate, that costs a decent amount of time to do :O

Just now, Jeroenvk94 said:

Wow mate, that costs a decent amount of time to do :O

Most of the time someone is injured or suspended so it actually takes less time since I don't have to swap as many players. Bitches get results :D 

34 minutes ago, Jens said:

Most of the time someone is injured or suspended so it actually takes less time since I don't have to swap as many players. Bitches get results :D 

You don't get results though :P

3 minutes ago, samhardy said:

You don't get results though :P

I'll admit I let the assistant pick for our USA save ?