Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vibe Vibe Community App

Robbrown172

I know it may be too difficult to develop, and would take a huge amount of effort and time, but I think it would be a great idea if there was a Vibe Community app for Android and iOS.

Being able to recieve notifications when someone has messaged you/commented on your topics and accessing the forum with one click would be great.

I would be willing to help in any way if anything like this was ever considered.

I don't feel it's needed, however I do agree that push notifications from an app alerting you of PMs, tags, replies and the like would help wth interaction. Especially for those who aren't inclined to be on here as much as the regular members. I know I can ignore websites/apps without intending to but "offsite notifications" do help keep me interacting. I'm way more likely to open Twitter if I know I have something waiting for me compared to just opening it up for a nose. 

Is that worth the time and money of an app when the site is suited for mobile and PC display? I'm not in a position to say. It's not something I'd push for yet I do see how it could help keep people coming back etc. 

I just thought if we recieived notifications, like the ones we get from Twitter and Facebook, it would be easier for us to reply to messages/topics, rather than logging via the internet, not knowing if you've got any notifications until you log on.

It would also make it easier to access the forum on-the-go, so if you're on a bus, or on your break at school/college/work, you can quickly check the forum, rather than opening your browser, searching "FMM Vibe" and logging in everytime.

I do understand that it would take a huge amount of time and money to develop a working and succesful app.

This would be great so I don't have to get on my computer all the time, or have to go on safari to check my notifications, I personally think it would be better to have a mobile app to receive notifications.

Personally I just stay logged in and have Vibe as my first bookmark :S. Takes seconds to see what's going on, likely quicker than an app would take to load. 

Simply put, we won't be creating an app for the site, mainly because we don't need to for the other technologies available to us, and it simply isn't worth the effort of having to constantly get things approved whenever we want to do an update - this is one of the main sticking points for us.

Instead, we already support part of the Progressive Web Apps standard which means you can choose to "Add to Homescreen" in your browser and get a totally self contained environment anyway, just like an app.

We're going to be constantly improving our use of the standard over the next few months so that you automatically get prompted to add the link if you visit the site more than x times in a period of time (I understand that discoverability is a mess), and so that you get push notifications from the site just like a real app. 

Over the next few iterations of the site design, we're also going to move to a more mobile-first attitude so that things feel more like a real app rather than a browser. This is a more of a longer term project, but is something we're working on in the background.

56 minutes ago, Putzy said:

Simply put, we won't be creating an app for the site, mainly because we don't need to for the other technologies available to us, and it simply isn't worth the effort of having to constantly get things approved whenever we want to do an update - this is one of the main sticking points for us.

Instead, we already support part of the Progressive Web Apps standard which means you can choose to "Add to Homescreen" in your browser and get a totally self contained environment anyway, just like an app.

We're going to be constantly improving our use of the standard over the next few months so that you automatically get prompted to add the link if you visit the site more than x times in a period of time (I understand that discoverability is a mess), and so that you get push notifications from the site just like a real app. 

Over the next few iterations of the site design, we're also going to move to a more mobile-first attitude so that things feel more like a real app rather than a browser. This is a more of a longer term project, but is something we're working on in the background.

Thank you for the response :) Looking forward to the future updates!

14 hours ago, Robbrown172 said:

I know it may be too difficult to develop, and would take a huge amount of effort and time, but I think it would be a great idea if there was a Vibe Community app for Android and iOS.

Being able to recieve notifications when someone has messaged you/commented on your topics and accessing the forum with one click would be great.

I would be willing to help in any way if anything like this was ever considered.

You can receive notifications via email just go to the settings and set it up

4 hours ago, Dar J said:

You can receive notifications via email just go to the settings and set it up

That's a good solution for the short term if you find yourself wanting that. It's certainly not ideal though - 2 clicks to get onto the site rather than just one.

13 hours ago, Putzy said:

That's a good solution for the short term if you find yourself wanting that. It's certainly not ideal though - 2 clicks to get onto the site rather than just one.

I Know but it's better than nothing