Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics How to improve my possession percentage?

wosite

After purchasing FMM2017 in December, 2016,  I played Premier League at first (Arsenal for many times, Swansea and Bournemouth).  Then I played Serie A and Bundesliga (Dortmund, Milan and Inter). However, I met problem when I was challenging La Liga.

I chose Barcelona, and I wanted to build its fluent and beautiful football in the game. So I made offer to Thiago, Nainggolan, Koulibaly and Mario Fernandes and got them. But then, when I played against Sevilla in Super Cup Final, there was something wrong to possession percentage.

I won on the score, both home and away(6-0;0-5), but I lost on possession(49-51;51-49).201ef1fb43166d22368fde604c2309f79252d2b4.jpg.744048cb7647b643a8670eaa1e0c11ec.jpg50c8972a2834349b96fea571c3ea15ce34d3beb4.jpg.47de55a1b0d2d8fdfd9bfef44d383a40.jpg

So I decide to ask for help here. Bros, please tell me how to handle with it, and give some advice to my tactics.

c7f4d013b07eca80c243f3139b2397dda34483e2.jpg.8256f2ee88b10ba8ccfb0ffe92c5afc1.jpg7932d22397dda14409b45e47b8b7d0a20ef486ef.jpg.d7a3a973070cafb7af8bb82e590d44c6.jpg

Thank U. 

1 hour ago, KennyMiller27 said:

Try shifting the mentality to Balanced - Attacking football = more runs/forward passes so the ball moves away from you more

OK I'll try. Thx Bro

I would not even bother looking at the posession with such good victories - Nice tactic, did you try the tactic in the mentioned leagues with the teams listed :)?

7 minutes ago, AndersJ said:

I would not even bother looking at the posession with such good victories - Nice tactic, did you try the tactic in the mentioned leagues with the teams listed :)?

I just wanna play tiki-taka on Barca...I think the fans in Camp Nou would boo if Barca played in 40 possession.

I didn't use this tactics before, because most of teams i played have a Ad player(like Mesut Ozil or Mario Gotze). So I used 4-2-3-1 for Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, Swansea, Bournemouth, Dortmund and Inter.

That tactics is

Attacking,short,mixed,mixed,normal and pressing only for home; (especially powerful in ECC, my Arsenal beat Juve 6-0 and Monaco 8-0 in this way)

Attacking,directed,mixed,mixed,normal and pressing for weaker away

Balanced, mixed,mixed,mixed,committed and pressing for stronger away

As @AndersJ says, I wouldn't be too worried with such good victories.

But I get that you want to recreate the tiki taka football of Barcelona. I'd say that you should stick with short passing only - direct is close to long ball and mixed is, well, a mix...

I'd also say that playing "defensive" on the mentality isn't quite as defensive as you'd think. I've had some big wins with defensive, and it generally means that you have a lot more of the ball.

You could also go short for goalkeeper distribution, so that you build from the back.

I bet defensive, short, mixed, short, cautious would give you the best possession stats, although you might not get such big wins!

10 hours ago, Mr.Manager said:

As @AndersJ says, I wouldn't be too worried with such good victories.

But I get that you want to recreate the tiki taka football of Barcelona. I'd say that you should stick with short passing only - direct is close to long ball and mixed is, well, a mix...

I'd also say that playing "defensive" on the mentality isn't quite as defensive as you'd think. I've had some big wins with defensive, and it generally means that you have a lot more of the ball.

You could also go short for goalkeeper distribution, so that you build from the back.

I bet defensive, short, mixed, short, cautious would give you the best possession stats, although you might not get such big wins!

In coincidence I tried defensive yesterday. As you say, it did has a higher possession. I think a defensive mental means safer pass and take less risk , not a tactic kicking ball away from box as i used to think. U are totally right mate.

Meanwhile i have two guess about this game.

One is that FMM have a invicible degree of tactics proficiency, for my 2 season-played Arsenal(not change a lot) can dominate games with attacking mental(Always 55-60 percent).

The other is different league has different tactics tendency, so we need different tactics to dominate different league. My 4231 ran very successfully in Premier League and Bundesliga(even for Swansea and Bournemouth), but it was not as flunent in Italy until I closed the pressing. And it became a joke in Barca: A possession of 37% but shot ratio 22:1(against Sevilla in La Liga, a victory of 2-0)! So I guess different league needs different way and i decide to make a experiment on Marseille after my lunch.  I don't know whether that comes to U. Could u plz tell me about how your tactic switch in different league?

For this Barca, maybe I changed too much players for Barca, maybe new red-blue warriors are not fit La Liga's tempo and my tactics, maybe this tactic is not a ball possess tactic for La Liga. I'll do more experiment After my try in Ligue 1.

At last, thank u for answering!

Possession stats in this game are a bit wonky.  Unless your possession is worse than ~45%, you're probably still getting plenty of chances in game.  So I'd worry about shot and CCC totals which, in your case, seem fine. 

First of all, play an AP and DLP and midfield ( DLP's can be a great playmaker, very underrated squad role! ). They often have nice passing, decisionmaking and creativity stats, which is what you need to find the little passes in between.

Then you'll want Suarez to receive the ball, pass it on to the AP or to the Inside Forwards. So you should probably use another striker role, experiment with that and see what fits.

The beautiful thing about Barca is that they don't hurry to much in transition, they stay in formation, you might want to leave the pressing untoggled.

Go for short passing, with a balanced mindset. If you play attacking, players will rush forward looking for the first opportunity they get to get the ball into the penalty area.

19 minutes ago, Jeroenvk94 said:

First of all, play an AP and DLP and midfield ( DLP's can be a great playmaker, very underrated squad role! ). They often have nice passing, decisionmaking and creativity stats, which is what you need to find the little passes in between.

Then you'll want Suarez to receive the ball, pass it on to the AP or to the Inside Forwards. So you should probably use another striker role, experiment with that and see what fits.

The beautiful thing about Barca is that they don't hurry to much in transition, they stay in formation, you might want to leave the pressing untoggled.

Go for short passing, with a balanced mindset. If you play attacking, players will rush forward looking for the first opportunity they get to get the ball into the penalty area.

I want Busquets to get ball and make short pass so I made him DLP. Perhaps I should switch him in BWM. My DLPs hardly get points more than 6 like u says(included Baselli, Xhaka and some i can't remind), the only two successful DLP are Emre Can in Liverpool(3 goals, 10 Assists, 7.32, 4231,DLP, partner is Henderson as BBM) and Surman in Bourenmouth(can't remember stats, partner is Arter as BBM) . I don't know how to use a DLP, as I don't know how to dorminate La Liga.

As for Suarez, i only tried AF and CF, AF can score a lot but pass less, while CF always do nothing(score a lot in several matches). I'm good at using AF and Target Man in one forward tactics, but know little about others. I will try different Forward types.

Only switch the mental into Balanced helps little, maybe it will do a lot after former two switch.

At last, Thanks 4 your opinion mate!

3 hours ago, veerus said:

Possession stats in this game are a bit wonky.  Unless your possession is worse than ~45%, you're probably still getting plenty of chances in game.  So I'd worry about shot and CCC totals which, in your case, seem fine. 

Maybe it can be 40% --IMG_0302.thumb.PNG.cacae65ef4048928b689e39b0581e579.PNG

I think the prior reason of this is my tactics are verdicted as a counter-attack tactic in La Liga by system. So I have to make some difference.

Sometimes FMM is more difficult than FM. As u say, it is wonky sometimes.