Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat How to counter 4-5-1

johnvibe77

Right I need to see your roles and instructions if I'm going to try and help, I see your basic formation which looks similar to one I started out with 2 years ago 

But I need to see what you're using rather than the opposition 

18 minutes ago, Taff said:

Right I need to see your roles and instructions if I'm going to try and help, I see your basic formation which looks similar to one I started out with 2 years ago 

But I need to see what you're using rather than the opposition 

Right now i am using this formation which is giving me good results till now...  but is bit leaky at the back...   I want to understand about the counter roles for each position as asked in the previous thread....  

Screenshot_2017-09-02-10-40-55-542_com.sigames.fmm2017.png

OK first thing is the reason it's leaky at the back is due to the fact that if the opposition are counter attacking you only have one CD and your GK in place with your 2 WB's and a BPD who tend to be further up the pitch

Your midfield is very physical but there's no passing type player (AP/CM/DLP), you just have the BWM who is basically running around the pitch trying to win the ball back off anyone who has it, then again with the counter attack is your BBM might be too high up the pitch to get back and cover

and you're overloading your box with two IF's two Strikers and your BBM all trying to find space in there

So here's my suggestions (might work might not)

Either have your BPD and change the WB's for FB's to give you more cover, or stick with the WB's but have two CB's 

Change the BWM (most people agree it's a broken role in this years game) and change him for a DLP (as mentioned in @fuddledfoxFM guide) I never really used them until I read it, but get the right player in there and it can make all the difference, that way if your BBM is high up the pitch, your DLP is there to help out the defence

Up top I'd change one of your IF's for a W and maybe change the CF (it's really hard to find players who fit this role) to maybe a TM or DLF.  The TM needs good Strength and Aerial, while the DLF needs good strength and passing, and can like your midfield to the attackers without overloading the box 

As for instructions, I tend to always start off with balanced, mixed, mixed, mixed, commited/normal and either pressing or counter attack on, but once you start play the games on slow or medium and see who's doing what and stuff.  

As for the counter positions, I really have no clue, I tend to stick to a formation and change the instructions during the game if it's not working

maybe balanced, short, mixed, mixed, normal and pressing (but the pressing will ware your players out quicker, if there constantly having to chase down the opposition

I hope this helped a little dude, but there are so many good articles out there and I am by no means a tactical genius, but a few minor tweaks can change a game, so if you chose to change something try one thing at a time

good luck  

I have tried finding a "counter tactic" for each formation but doesn't really work imo. It isn't reliable. What I ended up doing is going with the most suitable/strongest formation for the players I have and fiddle with the passing focus. If their left flank is weak I focus on my right etc. Ime it's worked much better than switching to new formations every game depending on the opponents'. 

Or have like a more offensive/defensive formation for home and away games. 

21 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

I have tried finding a "counter tactic" for each formation but doesn't really work imo. It isn't reliable. What I ended up doing is going with the most suitable/strongest formation for the players I have and fiddle with the passing focus. If their left flank is weak I focus on my right etc. Ime it's worked much better than switching to new formations every game depending on the opponents'. 

Or have like a more offensive/defensive formation for home and away games. 

Well I agree with you...  but still I think we can turn the odds by tweaking wisely in game specially in situation when you are 2-1 down and have 30 odd mins left on clock....  this little tweaks are nothing but fixing the players roles by setting up appropriate counter for each opposition player role.....  I have seen it working for me...  but I am still unaware of most of the counters ...  like if the opponent has certain formation  with 5 midfield and each has a specific roles...  so what counter role should i give to my midfield player that can help to change the situation in my fav.. or add a bit of pressure on the opposition....  A guide on counter to each position/role would be really helpful...  right now i see guides on .. what the current roles are meant for... or capable of..... 

edit:  the striker with role "CF" has a THUMBS UP for that role in the tactics option.

22 minutes ago, Taff said:

OK first thing is the reason it's leaky at the back is due to the fact that if the opposition are counter attacking you only have one CD and your GK in place with your 2 WB's and a BPD who tend to be further up the pitch

Your midfield is very physical but there's no passing type player (AP/CM/DLP), you just have the BWM who is basically running around the pitch trying to win the ball back off anyone who has it, then again with the counter attack is your BBM might be too high up the pitch to get back and cover

and you're overloading your box with two IF's two Strikers and your BBM all trying to find space in there

So here's my suggestions (might work might not)

Either have your BPD and change the WB's for FB's to give you more cover, or stick with the WB's but have two CB's 

Change the BWM (most people agree it's a broken role in this years game) and change him for a DLP (as mentioned in @fuddledfoxFM guide) I never really used them until I read it, but get the right player in there and it can make all the difference, that way if your BBM is high up the pitch, your DLP is there to help out the defence

Up top I'd change one of your IF's for a W and maybe change the CF (it's really hard to find players who fit this role) to maybe a TM or DLF.  The TM needs good Strength and Aerial, while the DLF needs good strength and passing, and can like your midfield to the attackers without overloading the box 

As for instructions, I tend to always start off with balanced, mixed, mixed, mixed, commited/normal and either pressing or counter attack on, but once you start play the games on slow or medium and see who's doing what and stuff.  

As for the counter positions, I really have no clue, I tend to stick to a formation and change the instructions during the game if it's not working

maybe balanced, short, mixed, mixed, normal and pressing (but the pressing will ware your players out quicker, if there constantly having to chase down the opposition

I hope this helped a little dude, but there are so many good articles out there and I am by no means a tactical genius, but a few minor tweaks can change a game, so if you chose to change something try one thing at a time

good luck  

Thaks.. for your input... the point mentioned about my defence is really what makes it leaky i think.. i have changed it as per your inputs... also made the BWM to DP... also never knew about what BWM(except they attack and win the ball)  did before reading your 2 cents above about it. Let me see how it goes now. 

6 minutes ago, johnvibe77 said:

.. like if the opponent has certain formation  with 5 midfield and each has a specific roles...  so what counter role should i give to my midfield player that can help to change the situation in my fav..

That's what I mean with the passing focus. In this case I would go "both flanks" to avoid the packed center.

Not being funny but away at West Ham with that squad is a tough game. Sure you wanna give yourself the best chance of winning but it's not one you should be targeting as a relegation six pointer.