Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Scratch: Faustino Asprilla & Juan Hernandez 1KC ⚽?[S4]

Scratch

Introduction

Well here I am again, at the start of another 1KC attempt!

Why Another 1KC?

This will likely be my last FMM 2017 career and I want to use what I've learnt from my other 1KCs to go again and build a higher tally. I want to take this striker way past where my first one ended up (and also past @BatiGoal's first striker too ;)).

Some of my choices reflect this aim, but other are contradictory to it, as you'll see below. As much as I want to get a high score, I don't want to take all the easy options (otherwise I'd take Rashford to PSG and go for 1,500).

Wait, What About PinaColada?

After completing the Second Chances and Accidental Armstrong 1KC, I should have gone straight back to my PinaColada double 1KC. However, it's been 4 months since I last played that and my enthusiasm for it is gone.

At the time I started it, there'd only been two FMM 2017 1KC attempts (mine and BG's) and I felt like doing something out of the box. Now there are a bunch of other 1KC attempts either completed or running right now and I sort of want to see what I can do with another attempt.

Club

My first thought was to use Celtic again, as they are great for a 1KC. However, that was a bit predictable and I wanted to manage in a league I haven't played before.

I quickly settled on Holland, which has some strong clubs in a generally weak league. I was originally eyeing Ajax as I wanted a player there and young players are generally expensive! In the end though Ajax was a little too obvious.

Out of the big three clubs, Feyenoord intrigued me the most. They can potentially be huge on the world stage, but historically they've underachieved - they've only won 15 titles compared to Ajax's 33 and PSV's 23 (10 to 25 and 20 in the Eredivisie era). The Internet also tells me that they represent the working class in Rotterdam compared to the artists and aristocrats in Amsterdam.

I like the idea of taking an underdog and making them great (and maybe catching up to Ajax and PSV) and Feyenoord allows me to do that, while still having a major club (which will help the 1KC). So Feyenoord it is!

Player

I knew early on that I wanted a player that I could manage internationally. That rules out English players because Gareth Southgate has some sort leverage over the FA. Instead I was looking at Nigerian and Colombian players as those jobs are gettable.

I also wanted a player that hadn't been used much before. That sort of goes against my desire to build a big score. I probably should have gone for a nailed on wonderkid.

I was originally considering Mateo Cassierra (the player I mentioned was at Ajax above), but in the end I went with Juan Hernandez who starts at Granada B, as he was much cheaper and a couple of years younger.

hernandez-intro-03.jpg.a8fc0e0a7e4a946dbc520f9c448bb2ac.jpg

Here's what he looks like at the start of the game:

Spoiler

hernandez-intro-04.png.852274dc62df011b57ad2ec06008d13c.png

hernandez-intro-05.png.37a895198ab0fed8b61ca0bf98a65fd0.png

hernandez-intro-06.png.fa91f3424461dbedc7e6441130243c8a.png

It's a bit of a risk choosing him, as I suspect he's not quite top rung... But given the league we're in, the base stats he starts with, the amount of room to grow, I think he can do the job. What do you think?

Manager

This time I need some help. As mentioned above, the key to getting a big score is to get the Colombia job. I got it once before as an Australian, but I'd won the Champions League in that case.

I thought getting a Colombian in to help me out would increase the chances of us getting the job, so I called on an old friend, who was glad to ride to our assistance:

hernandez-intro-01.jpg.371ce622956fa01a059aaadc28c41698.jpg

Yes, Faustino Asprilla, the former Newcastle player! He was only too happy to help and I'm particularly keen to see how his unique training techniques help Hernandez develop.

Details

As always, I'm using the EME.

I've also reset the unlockables, so I can use them when I unlock them again. I generally don't like using unlockables, but in this case I'll take all the help I can to get Hernandez to a higher total.

Updates

I've said this before, but I'm going to try to keep the updates light. I have a lot of other stuff on my plate at the moment and I don't really have the time (or enthusiasm) to go into as much detail as before.

Still expect me to dig into certain details every so often, but I'm not going to bother with progress charts or stitching together the player form charts.

Failure

I'm feeling pretty good about this career right now, but if it looks like Hernandez is not going to make it, I'll ditch this career and start again with someone else.

I'm pretty confident that won't be necessary, but this is likely to be my last FMM 2017 career and I don't want to get stuck doing 20 seasons with someone who I know isn't going to deliver.

Looking Forward

I'm about 2 or 3 months into the first season and it's looking reasonable. Of course I'm at the stage where the team isn't strong yet and Hernandez is only a youngster, so we're not exactly setting the world alight. I'll keep on chugging along and hopefully be back with an update with the next week.

So... What do you think? ?

Looking a great combination. Not my club :P but they're great for this challenge and it'll be fun to see this Dutch team do well in Holland and Europe.

I'm sure the player is going to deliver. And with Asprilla as his mentor, your best decision yet, you won't need to get your hands dirty. The actual challenge at this point is trying not to score 1000 gls with this pairing. I bet you'd fail ;)

Goodluck!

He looks like a promising player! I have heard of that name somewhere( well, maybe in one of my filtering for my 1KC).
Anyway, good choice for the club.I'm looking forward how'd you done mate!

Really interesting choice of player and club. Feyarnoord always seem like one of the forgotten giants of the European game maybe as you said because they are over shadowed by PSV and Ajax.

I won't over any advice and if you read my last 1kc post you will know why! But I will wish you good luck.

9 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Looking a great combination. Not my club :P but they're great for this challenge and it'll be fun to see this Dutch team do well in Holland and Europe.

I'm sure the player is going to deliver. And with Asprilla as his mentor, your best decision yet, you won't need to get your hands dirty. The actual challenge at this point is trying not to score 1000 gls with this pairing. I bet you'd fail ;)

Goodluck!

Thanks mate! Hoping to finish just behind your new 1KC score (when it comes). ? I don't think I can reach @kts365 but I'd like to reach 1200.

I'm just a bit worried that Hernandez won't develop much, although that's another reason I went with a 17 year old. I've seen 19 year olds that were already fully developed, but 17 year old generally have a fair bit of room to improve. Anyway, time will tell!

9 hours ago, Risheek said:

Great mate! Looking forward to it! Juan looking great very early on, I'll be honest, I've heard about him but as I never saw him progress in my saves I never got to using him, I'm sure he'll smash it for you though. Feyenoord is great option as well. Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, he's a bit of a risk, which is why I'm open to throwing it all away if it looks like he's not developing. Could go either way, but feeling positive at this point!

8 hours ago, AzmiG26 said:

He looks like a promising player! I have heard of that name somewhere( well, maybe in one of my filtering for my 1KC).
Anyway, good choice for the club.I'm looking forward how'd you done mate!

Thanks mate - I'd never heard of him and didn't even know he was in the game for quite a while (you need Spain loaded). There really aren't many young Colombian strikers in the game so my choice was limited - but when I found him, he seemed like the best choice...

7 hours ago, fuddledfoxFM said:

Really interesting choice of player and club. Feyarnoord always seem like one of the forgotten giants of the European game maybe as you said because they are over shadowed by PSV and Ajax.

I won't over any advice and if you read my last 1kc post you will know why! But I will wish you good luck.

Thanks mate. Yeah when I was deciding which club to play I was surprised to find they hadn't won as much as PSV (though I guessed Ajax would be out in front). That sort of clinched things in their favour. Gotta love an underdog... Though with a 50K+ stadium they aren't really very underdoggish.... :D

As for your 1KC post, it's open in another tab, but I haven't read it yet! Was going to read it last night, but I pushed this post out and went to bed. Now I'm a bit scared to go see what it says! :O

BTW, my 20 year old Oxford United cup is no more... Kids.... :'(

6 hours ago, scratch99 said:

I'm just a bit worried that Hernandez won't develop much,

I'm a decade into my save ( 536 games 800 gls :) ) and I had a look at a 27yo Hernandez. Hmm, he's never left his first love Granada so that's probably a good thing, he's loyal to the bone. However.. Yes however.. his scoring record ..

• Granada B: 80gls in 110 games (4 seasons)
  • Granada: 30gls in 160 games (6 seasons)
  • Total: 110gls in 270 games

And he's got only 3 green attributes to show for, rest low blue's. Looks to me he's a great player... for lower leagues. How reliable are AI managers and simulations? Very. :laugh: of course the above says absolutely zero but always happy to give 1KC Vibers a good motivational shake before the first ball's been kicked (y)

2 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

I'm a decade into my save ( 536 games 800 gls :) ) and I had a look at a 27yo Hernandez. Hmm, he's never left his first love Granada so that's probably a good thing, he's loyal to the bone. However.. Yes however.. his scoring record ..

• Granada B: 80gls in 110 games (4 seasons)
  • Granada: 30gls in 160 games (6 seasons)
  • Total: 110gls in 270 games

And he's got only 3 green attributes to show for, rest low blue's. Looks to me he's a great player... for lower leagues. How reliable are AI managers and simulations? Very. :laugh: of course the above says absolutely zero but always happy to give 1KC Vibers a good motivational shake before the first ball's been kicked (y)

Haha, thanks for your support mate! So much more determined to get him past Villalibre now! ;) 

18 hours ago, Ashez said:

Excellent OP and interesting player choice mate! I'm aboard the hype train! 

Thanks mate! This is the point where I should be saying it will be crash and burn this time around, but I'm feeling good about this one!

18 hours ago, samhardy said:

Should've named the manager Adam Armstrong ;) Good luck mate! Even with the large Newcastle related contingent of this save...

Thanks mate! Nah, I'm saving Armstrong to be manager of the save where I take Sunderland down through the leagues and out the bottom without winning a single game! :P 

Joking, obviously! (I'm feeling bad now. not enough to delete it though! ?)

23 hours ago, Cockers2505 said:

Guess who's back... @scratch99 is back, you are the ENTERTAINER, I love reading your exploits, i'm contemplating the EURO challenge before FFM 18 kicks in, but haven't much time on my hands lately, but anyway, good luck mate

Back again... Thanks mate! Yeah, I'm still a bit low on the amount of time I have, but want to squeeze one last career out of FMM 2017. Hope you can too! ?

5 hours ago, scratch99 said:

Back again... Thanks mate! Yeah, I'm still a bit low on the amount of time I have, but want to squeeze one last career out of FMM 2017. Hope you can too! ?

Are you not entertained?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

(name the movie :P )

And no, I'm NOT entertained, I don't call it entertainment everytime I follow one of your careers I need an oxygen mask :S

26 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

Are you not entertained?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

(name the movie :P )

And no, I'm NOT entertained, I don't call it entertainment everytime I follow one of your careers I need an oxygen mask :S

Anyone who doesn't know which movie that's from deserves shooting on the spot :P

9 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Not with this one mate. If it was a 1.5KC it might be close, maybe even a 1.2KC, but a 1KC will be a walk in the park. No need to get stressed by it... ?

added 0 minutes later

I'll probably fall flat on my face now.... 

7 hours ago, scratch99 said:

LOLZ... But despite the use of @Ashez photo there, Batman stole that meme! It's actually from an Australian actor!

gladiator.gif.6d10fad05df702d201bdb2d042803098.gif

Isn't he actually from New Zealand? Sure I've heard that before. Anyway this is going wildly off topic so I'll leave it there :P

Good to see you back on the horse mate! And without Alan Armstrong in tow shockingly (although i imagine he'll make an appearance somewhere down the line...)! 

Just a quick one - how do you reset the unlockables? 

31 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Isn't he actually from New Zealand? Sure I've heard that before. Anyway this is going wildly off topic so I'll leave it there :P

Yeah, actually he is, but he spent most of his life in Australia. I think there are more Kiwis in Australia than NZ at this point!

30 minutes ago, Mr.Manager said:

Good to see you back on the horse mate! And without Alan Armstrong in tow shockingly (although i imagine he'll make an appearance somewhere down the line...)! 

Just a quick one - how do you reset the unlockables? 

Thanks mate. The saddest thing:

Screenshot_20170907-162524.png.625a52fa2cebd61362f99399ae539599.png

Adam Armstrong is not in the game.... :'(  I was thinking he might make a good back up striker as the bunch I've got now couldn't hit the goals with a bazooka...

To reset the unlockables, I found the game.cfg file and renamed it (on Android, not sure if you can on iPhone). That reset everything like coaching badges etc as well as the unloackables. Later on I noticed something in the menu that made we wonder if I could have just chosen that, but not sure...

2 hours ago, Cockers2505 said:

:laugh::laugh: look at us discussing whether Russel Crowe was from New Zealand or Australia when @Ashez scary batman is at large!!!!! 

Who cares :laugh: the point is good luck @scratch99 on your 1K challenge 

this is why I joined this Forum, it's hilarious at times

Thanks mate! Yeah, it's great here! I'm a bit freaked out by that batman though... Probably won't be able to sleep tonight. Might have to stay up and play instead! ?