Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FuddledFox

The oldest player on FMM17 - Peter Hinds

The oldest player on FMM17 – Peter Hinds

59b416c442c8f_391-PeterHinds.jpg.6fbe924c59ce6b2f05e50c52b18d6341.jpg

Earlier this week @samhardy brought to our attention the fact that in the FMM17 database there lies a player who is the ripe old age of 54. That players name is Peter Hinds and he plays as a striker for 1st Bangor an amateur team in Northern Ireland.  In honour of this Sam went on to create the Peter Hinds challenge which can be found here. I plan on giving it a go myself very soon.

I decided I wanted to find out more about the great man as he isn’t a player I had ever heard of either in real life or FMM. I decided I would do a little research and see what I turned up and it seems Peter has had an interesting career.

Peter Hinds Career

Peter was born in Saint Peter, Barbados on 8th June 1962 but moved to England with his family when he was young. He was late moving into professional football as he joined the army for 3 years after school. After his stint in the army he played for non-league sides Enfield and Bishops Auckland before getting his big break as a pro from an unlikely source. During his time at Bishops Auckland Peter got an agent and following an unsuccessful trial with Sunderland his agent got him a move to play in Japan for Fujita on a 1 year deal. The move was a success with the Japanese fans taking Peter into their hearts and even leading to an offer to go to Brazil and play for Sao Paulo. He turned down the chance to go to Brazil and instead moved to Scotland to play for Dundee United for £65,000. He made  his debut on the 23rd August 1989 in a 2-1 loss against Hamilton Academical coming on as a sub and scoring Dundee Utd only goal. A goal on debut would prove to be a rare highlight during his time in Scotland as he would only make 18 appearances and score 2 goals during his one season with Dundee Utd. Peter struggled to adapt to the physical nature of the Scottish Premiership and was quoted as saying ‘there is no empathise placed on skill and it’s a lot harder than expected’ he also said about his first game against Celtic ‘They were so physical and the match turned into a battle’.

At the end of his first season in Scotland Peter was offered an escape. He moved to the tropical island of Madeira to play for CS Maritimo in the Portuguese first division. This would prove to be a good move as Peter scored 10 goals in 30 games over 2 years before moving to mainland Portugal to play for Gil Vicente where he scored 3 goals in 19 games in his only season with them. Following his departure from Gil Vicente at the end of the 1992/93 season Peter seems to go off the footballing map before turning back up in Northern Ireland when he signed for Ards in 1997. He spent 1 season with the red and blues scoring 2 goals in his 32 appearances in the Northern Irish top division. It seems Northern Ireland has become home for our hero as all his clubs have been in the lower leagues with spells at PSNI, Brantwood and Knockbreda before he signed for 1st Bangor in 2007. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find any stats from his time at these clubs.

Peter Hinds in FMM17

Screenshot_20170909-162029.thumb.png.fba522dc58dc8d7bf94937e1074cbea8.png

I have to say I’m quite impressed by these stats from a 54 year old. His physical stats aren’t bad and there are much slower players in the game than him who are 20 years younger! I would have expected more from his mental stats for a man of his experience if you played him as a target man you would want much better than 4 teamwork. Technical stats are decent(ish) in couple of areas I like the look of 11 finishing and technique and 10 dribbling as well.

It seems that Peter may have finally hung up his boots as he is now listed as manager of 1st Bangor so if you want to use his talents you will have to be quick as I doubt he will feature as a player in FMM18.

Thank you for reading.

Fascinating stuff, always nice to know more about characters like these :D I'm sure Peter will become a vibe legend by the end of the year. I also had no idea he had a trial at Sunderland, how embarrassing!

Great work mate

Really interesting mate! 

6 hours ago, Taff said:

Another great write up, and interesting stuff, can't believe they put him in the game but miss out on others, but thats life

I typically agree but unique and one offs like this I love. We've had a discussion, a challenge and I'm assuming a few careers based on this lad, how many other "characters" on this game can say that? I hate players added purely for regen fodder as if those were real kids instead we might not need or rely on regens as much but in cases like this I'm happy to make an exception. Like Freddy Adu and Carlos Fierro should be on every FMM IMO regardless of ability as they are fan favourites of the series. Players like this just give the game personality imo and are just unique. 

Quite impressive (age and physical stats), considering he's not even a goalkeeper.

Good job as usual mate! :) 

Even some world renowned players refuse to retire when it's time, and one could argue most of them end up embarrassing themselves or eventually being forced to retire due to persistent injuries (which is to be expected after a certain age). For example, I thought Rivaldo should have retired after 2011 or even 2012, but he chose to continue until 2015. Honestly I didn't expect he'd carry on after 2008.

@Stam Rafael v.d Vaart is another example. Not quite of the same caliber as Rivaldo but an outstanding player in his better days. Unfortunately that's a good 5+ years ago and he's been struggling with fitness, form, injuries ever since.

I will remember him for the quality player he was but I'm afraid the majority remembers him for the struggles in the latter part of his career and that's a massive shame.

Very interesting article, mainly because I live in Newtownards (Ards) and can remember going to watch Ards play when Peter Hinds was our player.

Yes he is now manager of our local rivals Bangor which is only 6 miles away.

He settled down here in Northern Ireland as he met a local woman, married and had two daughters.

1 hour ago, Massey127 said:

Very interesting article, mainly because I live in Newtownards (Ards) and can remember going to watch Ards play when Peter Hinds was our player.

He settled down here in Northern Ireland as he met a local woman, married and had two daughters.

I love it a bit of local knowledge to flesh out this interesting character 

2 hours ago, Massey127 said:

Your now 2nd person I have heard from who saw him play. Had guy tweet me last night say he saw him play for Dundee Utd. Did he do a good job at Ards?

The standard of football in Northern Ireland is not great so yes he stood head and shoulders above the rest of the team and was actually one of the best players in the league at the time.

On 10/09/2017 at 16:41, Massey127 said:

He also settled down in bishop auckland and had a son to a local woman. That son being me 😎

the old man's still got it 

6 hours ago, A Hinds said:

He also settled down in bishop auckland and had a son to a local woman. That son being me 😎

the old man's still got it 

This screenshot is from my 2nd season on FMM2018 and he is still playing. He is the player manager there. 

BF5A709C-C117-418A-A1E1-11E36171F3FD.png

Having stumbled across this while doing a search for Peter, I can give you some details of his time at Enfield - his was a brief stay but he made an impact in the run in to our Conference (National League) triumph in 85-86, played mostly on the right and scored some important goals, one of which can be seen here

Enfield FC in the 80s