Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Backs in narrow formation

Patas

Hi all. I just started new career with Leeds United and i decided to use 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond formation. I like the idea to have 2 strikers up front, to make a pressure on opponents back line all of the time. However, i have a dilemma when it comes to a defence. Should i use wing backs or full backs? I am aware that this formation is central based, and i could have problems with teams who are using wingers. I want to prevent an opponents with wingers to exploit my weakness in those wide areas. How to do that? If someone has an experience with this formation then write here please.

I'd say wingbacks.  From what I understand, fullbacks function optimally only when there's another winger working ahead of them on the sideline.

You'll need wing backs as you have to have some sort of wide outlet unless you want every game to end 0-0. To avoid exposure in the wide areas, I would recommend mobile centre backs and an intelligent defensive mid who can act as a defender when the opponent counter attacks. If you have high pressing on you can stop counter attacks at source, and keeping the majority of possession will minimise the opportunities the other team has to counter attack and exploit the wide areas. 

If you want to ignore all of that it won't be the end of the world, tactics are down to personal preference after all. The most important things in the tactic you wish to use are the actual players you deploy at wingback. To ensure they can cope with being high up the pitch and getting back quickly when required, they need very good stamina (atleast 15) and relatively high pace if possible (you can get away with 12/13 but I would advise more). Also, needless to say, wingbacks need to be good going forward and able to pick out your two strikers. If you can get 12+ on crossing, that helps.

Good luck :D If you get stuck, think of real life teams that use similar tactics (narrow midfields and reliance on the wingbacks) like Spurs.

I would defiantly say wing backs. If you can get some decent ones with 15 in teamwork, stamina and crossing then you will surprised by the assists they get and sometimes goals they can grab.

Tierney from Celtic and Alexander-Arnold from Liverpool are both great young players who with IT develop into world class wing backs.

Thanks all for your answers. I'll go with wing backs. Now i'll dive into a transfer market to find some players that can fit to this role, cause i'm not satisfied with my current back line.

15 hours ago, Fish18ish said:

To avoid exposure in the wide areas, I would recommend mobile centre backs and an intelligent defensive mid who can act as a defender when the opponent counter attacks.

I have a DLP in that position, would that be too passive? Thanks for observations.

1 hour ago, Patas said:

Thanks all for your answers. I'll go with wing backs. Now i'll dive into a transfer market to find some players that can fit to this role, cause i'm not satisfied with my current back line.

I have a DLP in that position, would that be too passive? Thanks for observations.

Others might say otherwise, but in my opinion a DLP is better than a BWM for this, because BWMs have a tendency to get sucked out of position to win the ball.

6 hours ago, Fish18ish said:

DLP is better than a BWM for this, because BWMs have a tendency to get sucked out of position to win the ball.

And because DLPs operate significantly better and more efficient than BWMs in this year's engine.

8 hours ago, veerus said:

And because DLPs operate significantly better and more efficient than BWMs in this year's engine.

I have to say "regular" CMs are also almost too good this year. Not really a specialized role like the others, it's your all-round midfielder if you will, but having played two side by side (a CM pairing in my recent CC save) they do a very very solid job.

I must admit to not having used CMs very often this year.  It's not even a consideration for me, primarily because I've yet to see a player who has more green traits as a CM compared to a DLP or AP.