Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Rangers - Only Scots Allowed

Hello Everyone, 

I'm a longtime follower of fmmvibe and thought it was about time I posted a story of my own. 

I'm going to be posting my first story as manager of Rangers, the club I support and have had a season ticket with since I was a young boy. 

The twist will be that I can only sign Scottish players. I will gradually sell members of the existing squad who were not born in Scotland.

Within a few seasons my squad will all be from Scotland.

WHAT ARE MY GOALS? 

• To have a fully Scottish squad 
  • To break Celtics dominance *Won the last 5 league titles*
  • Win 10 league titles in a row *current record in Scotland is 9*
  • Finish a season unbeaten *Celtic done this last season*
  • Win the Europa League *made it to the final once before*
  • Win the Champions League *furthest we have went is the 1st knockout round*

This challenge would be hard enough without the rules I've placed on myself but will make it a lot more exciting :D 

BOARD SET THEIR EXPECTATIONS.

I'm expected to win the league in my first season, something which will be a tough task considering all the outgoings! 

We do have the advantage of not having European football this season so can focus purely on a domestic treble

Screenshot_20170927-124433.png

Screenshot_20170927-124453.png

added 0 minutes later
7 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

Good luck fella. Looking forward to following how you get on.

Thanks mate, we shall soon find out. 

PRE SEASON 

In Scotland you play in a group to qualify for the next round of the Betfred Cup during pre season. 

We'd already played a 1-1 draw with Morton before I signed so I took this opportunity to use the group as a chance to work out my settled starting 11 before the first league game. 

As you can see we scored a lot of goals, exactly what we should be doing with such an attacking formation, I'm impressed with the way we've performed with all the changed currently taking place at the club. 

Screenshot_20170927-133100.png

TACTICS THE KEY TO SUCCESS

With the limitations I have set myself I feel it's important we get the tactics spot on. 

We will be playing an attacking 4-2-3-1 formation. As we have the 2nd best squad of players in the league it makes sense to use the mentality. The weakest area of the squad is our defence and rather than protect that, I'd rather make it a case of

"we will score one more goal than you!" 

Screenshot_20170927-131708.png

Screenshot_20170927-131712.png

CURRENT TRANSFER SUMMARY

As you'll see we still have plenty time in the transfer window to make adjustments but I thought I'd update you on our current situation.

We've signed 4 good young scottish players. 

1. Jai Quitongo - he will be our poacher upfront for years to come. Already impressed with his stats at the age of 19
  2. Greg Docherty - I'm currently unsure which position I will utilise him in. Either as a deep-lying playmaker or advanced playmaker in the CAM position.
  3. Tony Gallacher - very young prospect, whilst he is a left back I'm currently retraining him in the right back position due to the lack of decent right backs in the market.
  4. Stephen Mallan - a lot of potential, will make a great deep lying playmaker

Screenshot_20170927-133147.png

Screenshot_20170927-133122.png

Screenshot_20170927-133151.png

Screenshot_20170927-133156.png

Screenshot_20170927-133202.png

added 0 minutes later
4 minutes ago, salohcin said:

Looking good bro! Good luck with this! 

thanks man! 

6 hours ago, Rocket said:

Good luck mate, hopefully Celtic wins the treble for the next few years then rangers will luckily win the betfred cup 1 year. ;)

Looking that way IRL mate, hopefully I do better in the game lol 

5 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

I remember quite a few Dutchies moving on to the Scottish league sporting the Rangers colors. Goodluck with this journey!

Thanks mate. Yeah Michael Mols, Arthur Numan, The De Boer brothers, Van Bronkhorst... All successful at Rangers back in the glory days! 

3 hours ago, samhardy said:

Always enjoy the POYC challenges. Should be good to follow, best of luck!

Thanks for the support man! was going to make it only sign british players but scottish makes it that extra bit harder!

TRANSFER WINDOW SHUTS 

I didn't make any further signings in this window so we will rely heavily on players promoted from the U20's. 

I could not afford to bring in any of my top targets despite the fact we said goodbye to 8 players. As you can see we lose some key players like Niko Kranjcar and Martyn Waghorn but all in the name of the challenge! 

We were crying out for a centre back to partner Danny Wilson and hopefully the decision to stick with young David Bates doesn't cost us. 

Screenshot_20170927-225226.png

8 SCOTS IN STARTING ELEVEN

I mentioned in my opening post that it may take a couple of seasons until I'm able to sell all of my non Scots.

I'm happy with how we are doing after the first window with only 3 non Scots remaining in our starting 11. 

Foderingham, Tavernier and Rossiter are all English and excellent players. The plan is for them to have great seasons and to sell them on for a large profit at the end of the season in order to fund the transfers of my key targets.

Screenshot_20170927-225350.png

If you are unable to sell the non-Scottish, just demote them to the reserve team. It's (kind of) kill the challenge if you still have some English players. However, good luck!

FIRST SILVERWARE AT FIRST ATTEMPT

I was delighted that we won the Betfred Cup. The first competition we've had the chance of winning! 

In the league we sit top but its been far from easy as we've already suffered 4 defeats. Luckily Celtic are having an off season unlike their unbeaten season IRL! 

I'll give a more indepth analysis into specific matches as the career goes on but until we get rid of all the non Scots I'm not going to focus on this too much. 

3 hours ago, AzmiG26 said:

If you are unable to sell the non-Scottish, just demote them to the reserve team. It's (kind of) kill the challenge if you still have some English players. However, good luck!

I appreciate where you're coming from mate but I did say it would take time to move everyone on, going through a transition but by the end of the next summer window you won't see any non Scots ;)

Screenshot_20170928-110300.png

Screenshot_20170928-110312.png

Screenshot_20170928-110349.png

16 minutes ago, ScottishTactician said:

appreciate where you're coming from mate but I did say it would take time to move everyone on, going through a transition but by the end of the next summer wind

I think that's fair its your own save and your own rules after all. Doesn't hurt to bump up some non Scots value for a year before getting rid.

Good positive stuff. Hope your decent form continues.

21 minutes ago, ScottishTactician said:

I appreciate where you're coming from mate but I did say it would take time to move everyone on, going through a transition but by the end of the next summer window you won't see any non Scots ;)

Nah, it's up to you after all. Good work too!

Great read mate as a fellow Blue Nose, I always find that in my Rangers careers Celtic always have a slow start then start to pump out the wins later on in the season

you are doing very well i hope you can achieve your goals. would like to add more information to get more excited and joy.

thank you