Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Citizen Kane: A 1K Challenge

coollogo_com-274212345.png.941be97d276762f7eda950480fb03f88.png

Introduction

Hi Vibe! Long time no 1K-C (See what I did there??) To be exact, I have not attempted nor completed this challenge since FMH 2015 (I'm showing my age there). However, being such a huge fan of this challenge I knew right away once I got back into the game that it would be one of the first few that I would try. Of course the first thing to sort out, as with all of this goal challenges, was what league I wanted to start in, what team I wanted to use, and (most importantly) what player I wanted to take along on this magical adventure.

giphy.gif

The League

As you will find out later, my choices for leagues were rather limited. The player I chose was quite the highly rated talent and as such, only the very best of Europe's elite could afford him. This narrowed down my choices in leagues to the big five, England, Spain, Germany, France and Italy. In the end I decided that I would start my journey off in the easiest league to score goals in of the lot, France.

Image result for ligue un

The Team

To be honest, I really wanted to go with Monaco. Their young, up and coming talent that still had not been plucked up by teams in Europe had me chomping at the bit to take the reins there. I even loaded up a save and tried my hardest to get my chosen player to sign with the club but to no avail. He simply would not take the carrot. And so I had no choice but to go with the boring choice in PSG. Oh well!

Image result for PSG logoThe Player

Some of you remember from my time at the site in the past that I looooved to use players who were a bit older than the usual 1KC candidate. I'm not a big fan of picking that 16, 17 or 18 year old wunderkid that I knew would become a world beater and stomp the challenge. Where's the fun in that?? I either preferred picking relative unknowns (such as Guillermo, De Tomas) or players that were 22, 23 or 24 (such as Welbeck, Hernandez, Soldado). For my first 1K Challenge since my return, I decided that I would go with that latter and pick a striker that was a bit older than the average candidate. I usually prefer it when I'm already a big fan of this player in real life but as I was scrolling through potential candidates, I couldn't really find anyone that caught my eye. That is until I stumbled upon this beast of a striker:

Image result for Harry Kane

That's right! None other than Harry Kane. This man has been absolutely ripping the Premier League and Europe to shreds the last few seasons and I'm a massive fan. He is probably the best finisher in world football at the moment with maybe only Lionel Messi being the exception. His ability to find space and his ruthlessness in front of goal make him a prime candidate in my mind for this challenge.

Starting Stats

Screenshot_2017_10_07_10_29_49.png

That's it for now guys! I would love to see some support  :D Share your thoughts on the player, league and club selections :) 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, AzmiG26 said:

Good luck! You made interesting choices, I assume you need to get a GPG in the first season.

Thank you! What do you mean by GPG?

Cool, can't wait to watch how this pans out! Reckon it's going to be massive!

I've actually been thinking about starting with slightly older strikers - I've gotten a name for doing 1KCs with Adam Armstrong (there's even a rumour that I am Adam Armstrong incognito, which I can neither confirm or deny), and he's going to be the ripe old age of 20 next game. I was thinking I'd have to skip him next time, but if you can do it with players even more ancient, maybe I will give it a go! ?

19 hours ago, AzmiG26 said:

goal per game

Oh yeah, I think he needs better than a gpg if not he won't make it. He needs to start off flying if not we're going to have problems.

@Prize @Ashez

Thanks guys :)

6 hours ago, samhardy said:

Can't wait for the poor start followed by the incumbent meltdown :P

Sigh why do you have to be so negative :(

5 hours ago, scratch99 said:

Cool, can't wait to watch how this pans out! Reckon it's going to be massive!

I've actually been thinking about starting with slightly older strikers - I've gotten a name for doing 1KCs with Adam Armstrong (there's even a rumour that I am Adam Armstrong incognito, which I can neither confirm or deny), and he's going to be the ripe old age of 20 next game. I was thinking I'd have to skip him next time, but if you can do it with players even more ancient, maybe I will give it a go! ?

I think 20yo are DEFINITELY doable, you just need the right tactic, team and league choice. A bit of luck with injuries :)

Season 1: Citizen Kane Moves to Paris

Introduction

Transfer Update

The PSG team I inherited from Unai Emery wasn't the best side in the world, but I intended to transform them into world beaters in the next few seasons. The first player I went after was of course, the main man, Harry Kane. Tottenham would not let him go on the cheap, as I had expected, but eventually parted ways with him for 60 Million Pounds.

Image result for harry kane conference

Kane announcing his departure from Tottenham

To make the purchases I wanted, I knew that I had to raise more funds, so I decided to let Edinson Cavani and Lucas Moura leave the club. The Uruguayan left for Arsenal in a deal worth 40 Million Pounds, and the Brazilian joined Lyon for 19 Million Pounds.

Image result for cavani and lucas

Two PSG mainstays forced out under my new regime

Armed with a bit more cash, I highlighted four key areas in which I wanted to strengthen my team, in goal, at centre back, in central midfield and on the wing. My big purchase ended up being the acquisition of midfielder Matias Vecino from Fiorentina for 25 Million Pounds. Joining him were goalkeeper Anthony Lopes, winger Hakim Ziyech and centre back Leo Lacroix.

Image result for matias vecino

Vecino demonstrating his patented heading technique

Incoming Player Attributes

Spoiler

Screenshot_2017_10_08_17_55_43.png

Screenshot_2017_10_08_17_55_52.png

Screenshot_2017_10_08_17_55_58.png

Screenshot_2017_10_08_17_56_10.png

The Tactic

Unbelievably enough the tactic I will be using is the same one I used the last time I attempted this challenge in FMM15.

Screenshot_2017_10_08_17_57_44.png

All five of my new signings slotting into the starting XI

The Season

Ligue Un

Screenshot_2017_10_08_18_00_22.png

What a roaring season as we net over 100 points and steamroll the league

French Cup

Screenshot_2017_10_08_18_01_08.png

Citizen Kane with a hatter in the final!! :O

Champions League

Screenshot_2017_10_08_18_03_28.png

Screenshot_2017_10_08_18_03_33.png

Our defence does us in the end as Napoli manage to score twice in the Parc des Princes to win on away goals.

Coupe de la Ligue

Screenshot_2017_10_08_18_03_21.png

We didn't even really turn up on the night :(

All in all a reasonable season as we win the league and the French Cup. Nothing to be unhappy about.

Individual Performances

Player of the Season

Many players made the case to be crowned player of the season in my inaugural campaign at the helm. Angel Di Maria for one contributed 6 goals and 21 assists despite a injury hit campaign which only saw him make 42 appearances. Mattias Vecino and Leo Lacroix both impressed in their debut seasons as well, with the former scoring 11 times from midfield and the latter being a mainstay in a defence that only conceded 18 goals in the league. However, the award has to go Serge Aurier who along with being part of that defence with Lacroix, also provided an astounding 17 assists from right back!

Image result for serge aurier psg

Aurier thanking me for the award

Player Stats

Spoiler

Screenshot_2017_10_08_18_16_59.png

Screenshot_2017_10_08_18_17_03.png

Screenshot_2017_10_08_18_17_07.png

Screenshot_2017_10_08_18_17_14.png

Citizen Kane

Let's take a look at the main event, how Kane performed. But first, his stats!

Stats

Screenshot_2017_10_08_18_05_25.png

Just look at that Shooting, Movement, and Decisions. Man is looking world class.

Performance

Screenshot_2017_10_08_18_06_40.png

My word what a season!! Over 90 goals with more than a 1.5 goals per game return. Kane took no time at all to settle into life in Paris. Bring on the next season!!

Games: 58

Goals: 91

That's it for now guys! How did you guys think the season went? Will Kane improve next season? Can he complete the 1k? And how about the signings? Good, bad or ugly, I want to hear everything you guys have to say :)

giphy.gif

Great start! Yeah, he'll make the 1K, no doubt at all about that... He'll push through that 100 barrier soon too. Well done mate. ?

Ziyech looks really good too. I've never used him, though he gets on my shortlist everytime. Might have to change that soon!

Immense first season, and scoring over 90 goals in his first season in France shows why Kane is one of the best in the world (expect when England Play) 

KIU dude, this is going to be epic

7 hours ago, scratch99 said:

Great start! Yeah, he'll make the 1K, no doubt at all about that... He'll push through that 100 barrier soon too. Well done mate. ?

Ziyech looks really good too. I've never used him, though he gets on my shortlist everytime. Might have to change that soon!

Haha still a long way to go mate but thanks for the optimism. 

Ziyech is quite a useful player but he doesn't seem quite so good for the price. 

5 hours ago, Taff said:

Immense first season, and scoring over 90 goals in his first season in France shows why Kane is one of the best in the world (expect when England Play) 

KIU dude, this is going to be epic

Yeah I absolutely love Harry irl he's a phenomenal finisher. Me and Ashez were actually talking about how England could be a force to reckon with at the World Cup if only they had a better midfield to support Kane/Rashford/Sterling/Alli

@Ashez @danovic78 @AzmiG26

Thanks a lot guys :)

Season 2: Citizen Kane Tackles Europe

Introduction

Transfer Update

This was the first real transfer window in which I had the riches of PSG at my disposal to go out and spend frivolously. And boy did I ever spend it frivolously! I went out and signed four new players for a total of 98.5 Million Euros! Who did I purchase for this lump sum you ask? Well, the most expensive purchase of the four was none other than Yannick Carrasco, the flamboyant Belgian winger. It took a total of 40 Million Pounds to pry him from the grasp of Atletico. He would slot in as my main choice on the left wing while Draxler would play on the right wing. In addition to Carrasco, I also bought Gustavo Gomez for 31 Million Pounds, Kyle Walker-Peters for 20 Million Pounds and Andrea Poli for 7.5 Million Pounds. Poli in particular was quite the bargain as he slotted right into my starting XI alongside Krychowiak and Verrati in midfield.

Image result for yannick carrasco

Wrong badge buddy!

Screenshot_2017_10_14_18_12_53.png
Screenshot_2017_10_14_18_13_01.png
Screenshot_2017_10_14_18_13_07.png
Screenshot_2017_10_14_18_13_14.png

The Starting XI

Screenshot_2017_10_14_18_14_07.png

All but one of my new signings slot straight into the starting XI

The Season

Unfortunately I forgot to take screenshots before I overwrote the save file, so I only have the manager history to go by as to how the season went. 

Screenshot_2017_10_14_18_15_04.png

As you can see it was absolutely stunning season as we won every trophy that we could possibly win, scoring 100 league goals in the process! Too bad I don't have more screenshots of the season to share with you guys, considering how much of a success it was :( 

Individual Performances

Player of the Season

Again, there were terrific candidates all over the pitch for this award. Last season's winner, Serge Aurier however, was not among them. He saw a dramatic dip in production as his 17 assists in 2016/17 dropped to just 6 assists this season. Making up for that was newboy Andrea Poli, who registered a superb 14 assists and 57 appearances adding a great deal of consistency to the best midfield in Europe. Centre back Marquinhos was also massive as he martialed the back four to a season in which they only conceded 30 league goals while providing a 6 assists as well! However, the award has to go to Angel Di Maria, who despite falling out of favour with the arrival of Carrasco and improvement of Draxler and Ziyech, still produced a gargantuan 22 assists and 9 goals in just 36 appearances! Simply stunning!

Image result for di maria

Maybe I would be calling on the Argentine more next season

Citizen Kane

Stats

Screenshot_2017_10_14_18_26_48.png

Performance

Screenshot_2017_10_14_18_27_29.png

An unfortunate drop in performance for Kane who picked up a month long injury just before the end of the season and never really recovered his form after. Still 78 goals in 53 games is nothing at all to frown at!

Games: 111

Goals: 169

That's it for now guys! How did you guys think the season went? Will Kane improve next season? Can he complete the 1k? And how about the signings? Good, bad or ugly, I want to hear everything you guys have to say :)

giphy.gif

Good stuff mate. Shame about the drop in goals.

Signings look good. I'm a big fan of Kyle Walker-Peters who I used very effectively in an England save this year. I have also used Gomez who is a proper defender. He doesn't do anything very flashy but does the simple things well (something a few Premier League defenders should think about in real life) and you have to love all that pace in a CB.

KIU 

Great job, I'm sure the drop is just a blip... Back to 90 next year (if not 100!!).

I've used Kyle Walker-Peters twice and once he was an utter legend and once he was mediocre... Hope you get the good model! ?

9 hours ago, FuddledFox said:

Good stuff mate. Shame about the drop in goals.

Signings look good. I'm a big fan of Kyle Walker-Peters who I used very effectively in an England save this year. I have also used Gomez who is a proper defender. He doesn't do anything very flashy but does the simple things well (something a few Premier League defenders should think about in real life) and you have to love all that pace in a CB.

KIU 

Walker-Peters is a total beast! Definitely develops into one of the best wingbacks in the game. And yes, Gustavo Gomez is terrific as well, too bad he's a little pricey :(

7 hours ago, scratch99 said:

Great job, I'm sure the drop is just a blip... Back to 90 next year (if not 100!!).

I've used Kyle Walker-Peters twice and once he was an utter legend and once he was mediocre... Hope you get the good model! ?

Hopefully it IS just a blip. Harry has all summer to rest up and regain his sharpness though so I'm not worried.

Haha, I can confirm that I got the good model ;) 

7 hours ago, Taff said:

Shame about the dip in goals but I’m sure with the quality you have in the squad next season he’ll be back to smashing 80/90 goals

Yes that's my hope. Hopefully we can continue to beef up the squad a little next season as well. 

Season 3: Citizen Kane Loses His German Friend

Introduction

Transfer Update

As you see me settle into a squad that I really like, you will see me making fewer and fewer transfers per season. Most of the transfers will be players leaving the club with only a handful coming in. I'm definitely a manager who prefers quality over quantity and I only ever buy players if I think they are:

1. Worth the price

2. Can contribute to the team

Having said that, I will reveal that I only brought two new faces into the club this season. The more expensive of which was a Greek center back by the name of Kostas Manolas. I was hoping that the 22.5 Million Pound signing would be able to forge an effective partnership with Gomez at center back. The other player to arrive was James Ward-Prowse of Southampton. He would be an excellent utility member for my midfield, and for just 18 Million Pounds, I felt that he was a bargain.

Image result for kostas manolas

"Everything-a gonna be oookay", he says. I don't understand why the Italian accent...he's Greek!

There was a mass exodus this summer as I continued to trim my squad. Many youth players who I felt were not up to the task were sold or allowed to leave on a free transfer. In addition to these departures, there also arrived a massive bid for Julian Draxler that I simply could not turn down. Chelsea wanted him for 75 Million Pounds and with our strength in depth in the wide position (and the emergence of Guedes), I decided to let him leave. Following Draxler were the likes of Marquinhos, Vecino (who was a flop after I purchased him in my first season), Trapp, Thiago Silva, Pastore and Ben Arfa. All in all we posted a profit of around 90 Million Pounds for the window.

Image result for marquinhos thiago silva

People began to think I didn't like Brazilians...

Spoiler

Screenshot_2017_10_17_21_55_01.png

Screenshot_2017_10_17_21_55_08.png

The Starting XI

Screenshot_2017_10_17_21_57_37.png

Not much of a change here, though Manolas replaces Marquinhos and Guedes replaces Draxler

The Season

Ligue Un

Screenshot_2017_10_17_21_58_51.png

We absolutely ran riot in the league this season. 34 wins!

French Cup

Screenshot_2017_10_17_21_59_04.png

Kane to the rescue in a tight one!

Champions League

Screenshot_2017_10_17_21_59_35.png

Screenshot_2017_10_17_21_59_27.png

Don't ask me how we didn't go through after beating Juve away by 2 goals :(

Coupe de la Ligue

Screenshot_2017_10_17_22_00_50.png

Kane with the hat trick when it mattered most!

We had a really amazing season performance wise. If only we hadn't blown the lead against Juve :(

Individual Performances

Player of the Season

Last season's winner Angel Di Maria didn't get much of a shout this season as his deteriorating attributes and poor fitness saw him play just 26 times all season. His play was so abysmal I decided not to even renew his contract at the end of the season! However, many other players stepped up and put in some scintillating performances. For Gancalo Guedes, this was the first season he was a regular starter for the side. But he didn't let the inexperience show as he popped up with 14 goals and 24 assists. Hakim Ziyech on the other wing was nearly as prolific, registering 10 goals and 23 assists. In the middle of the park James Ward Prowse was excellent coming off the bench as he scored 6 times and provided 22 assists in 42 appearances. However, my player of the season has to be Marco Verratti who scored 11 goals and provided 24 assists while playing a pivotal role in midfield. 

Image result for verratti

"Mama mia! Just-a perfect!" - Verratti IS Italian

Player Stats

Citizen Kane

Stats

Screenshot_2017_10_08_18_05_25.png

Performance

Screenshot_2017_10_17_22_09_14.png

OH! Grippingly close to the 100 mark. If only he had a couple more games :(

Games: 170

Goals: 266

That's it for now guys! How did you guys think the season went? Will Kane finally hit 100 next season? Can he complete the 1k? Good, bad or ugly, I want to hear everything you guys have to say :)

giphy.gif

P.S. If you guys want to see the development of any of the players in my squad, including their stats and attributes, do let me know and I will post them here :)

Sensational form! (y)

Ziyech has always been very good when I have started a Ajax save but soon wants away and gets snapped up by a bigger club.

7 hours ago, AzmiG26 said:

Back to the 90s! Good to see that he's back to his best form. 

Yes, I was very pleased with Harry this season :)

5 hours ago, danovic78 said:

Sensational form! (y)

Ziyech has always been very good when I have started a Ajax save but soon wants away and gets snapped up by a bigger club.

Yeah he is a very useful player, but I do have to admit there are probably better options out there given his price.

5 hours ago, Taff said:

Great season there and fair play for clearing out the team

Kane is well on track for the 1K and next season will see him break the 100 mark

Yeah I can't stand to have excess players in the squad. I try to keep my squad nice and tailored at 23 players.

Let's hope so!!