Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AzmiG26

Battle of the Best: Donnarumma VS. Meret

Battle of the best: Donnarumma VS. Meret

Hello Vibers, and welcome to this article! As you probably know, Italy has one of the most excellent goalkeepers of all time in Gianluigi Buffon. But as he gets closer to retirement, it’s time to start looking for a successor. As the title suggests, this article will simulate both Donnarumma's and Meret's future in FMM. Moreover, we’re going to simulate them at one and the same club, that club is Udinese (which is Meret’s club by the way).

First, let me Introduce you to both players.

Screenshot_20171010-004331.thumb.png.072e7a8ff6a327e82f7ef2262dcd2f8d.png

Shown above is an infamous wonderkid, Gianluigi Donnarumma. He initially starts at A.C. Milan. He has great attributes for a 17 year old, with green numbers in Aerial, Handling, and Reflexes. His other attributes stand in blue and in a few years those will improve. However, he has weak throwing and average physicals. To cap things off, he already acquired two caps for the Italian national side.

Screenshot_20171010-004337.thumb.png.121f2a088d45466f5c5c6af90c54502a.png

Alex Meret is two years older than Donnarumma, less known and less used than his generational compatriot. At the moment he has worse attributes compared to Donnie; yet he still has some positives, like greens in Agility, Reflexes, Teamwork. His kicking and physicals are a little concern. But, he yet has a lot of time to improve, so those attributes will start going up.

And now that you know the players, let’s advance ten years in the future!

Screenshot_20171012-212359.thumb.png.df3b5159c0ab4740cd236a6e3f6e73bf.png

Massive improvement for Donnarumma! His GK attributes are amazing by now; he has 20 in Aerial, Handling, Reflexes, Leadership, followed by Stamina and Strength! His throwing only improved a little though, but everything except that is progressing well. Also, as you may noticed, he’s now residing in the English capital with Arsenal. He acquired more caps to the Italy national team too!

But, what about his performance?

Screenshot_20171012-224918.thumb.png.1c410780a51ce82f0e44fba30e5cd712.png

Screenshot_20171012-225003.thumb.png.33660c19f767b6d2f1f26a9646def834.png

He starts off awfully. In his first season with Udinese, he only made eight appearances, conceding 14 goals, followed by a terrible rating at 5.87 average. As the years go on, he’s starting to make more appearances, but his awful performance on 2020/2021 saw him going to Germany. Even though it seems like a miserable season, with Stuttgart almost relegated, Arsenal activated his release clause to take him there. He makes more appearances at Arsenal than at his former sides, while also providing excellent goalkeeping skills to the club.

Club Appearances (Since start of the game): 326 Matches

Goals Conceded(Since start of the game): 424 Goals

But, is he significant enough to make his club win something?

Screenshot_20171012-212501.thumb.png.b7ee9bf6887a957cf04967eb5f117341.png

Well, he never wins the league, but he did win the EFL Cup twice with Arsenal. Only a bunch of little trophies, but a few are always better than none!

Screenshot_20171012-212532.thumb.png.d1b8bd1d1ace4b4f57c5375da802cc8e.png

Alex Meret surprisingly also made it to England by joining as the Blue Manchester number one. Even though most of his attributes don’t look better than Donnarumma's, he does have better Decision, Positioning, Teamwork, and Technique. Aside from that, he was always called up by the national side but has not gained his first cap.

Screenshot_20171012-225044.thumb.png.5eb347efb14fefd9b072f6232cf5b0f5.png

Screenshot_20171012-225101.thumb.png.3310bab54c4b9329992aec9379ca7efb.png

He started better than Donnarumma, as he played more matches than him, yet conceded less. In the same year Donnarumma went to Germany, he followed his example to another club, Wolfsburg. After a few seasons in Germany, the oil-rich club Manchester City bought him for 24 Million Pounds. His first season in Manchester City is exceptional, making 52 appearances and only conceding 47 goals.

Club Appearances (Since start of the game): 279 Matches

Goals Conceded(Since start of the game): 379 Goals

Only joining Manchester City for one year, he’s yet to produce trophies for his club. Until now, he hasn’t done that.

Conclusion

In conclusion, although both players don’t have the best start in the world, they are two of the best young goalkeeper in the world. Donnarumma is a more popular and expensive option than Meret, whose performance in England is marvellous as well.

Donnarumma has proven that he is a fantastic player, but in my opinion, Alex Meret comes closely behind him. I see him as a better choice for teams with less budget, chasing European qualification or even the trophies if you limit yourself with transfer fees.

Well, I’d love to hear what would you say about this, feel free to leave your comments below.

Thanks for reading!

39 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

Nice first article.

I have never bought Meret before but I think I'm going to have to take a look at him in FMM18 as he looks a good prospect.

Good work mate.

Thanks! Can't wait to see how is he in FMM18!

3 minutes ago, tsadefalu said:

Nice article mate!!!

Never tried Meret in any of my save. Definitely gonna sign him in FMM18

Thanks! Why not try him a little this year?

2 hours ago, salohcin said:

Great write-up mate! And interesting choice of goalie to battle Donna!

Thanks! They both are Italian so I thought it'd make a good comparison.

12 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Great article :) Never knew Meret could become that good!

Thanks! Of course with facilities like City, it could happen.

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

Wonderful work mate and thank you for bringing a new player to my attention! 

Thanks! I'm surprised that no one knows him though, I mean he's a wonderkid after all.

9 hours ago, MerlionMaple96 said:

Nice write up mate :)

I actually didn't know Donnaruma got that scary good.

Also had never heard of Meret before. How did you find out about him?

Thanks! I think this time Donnarumma peaked early and for Meret, I saw him being bought by top-class teams in the division. I read the wonderkids page to check his PA too.

2 hours ago, Priester said:

What goalkeeper training did you use? 

This is purely AI(computer) controlled simulation, so no control over training. 

Great First Article dude, and I think a few people will be giving Merat a go next year, I actually picked him up in one of my saves this year and he is a very good GK one to get loan out and then use if you're using teams with aging goal keepers