Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Who are your favourite footballers

FuddledFox

I like asking this question because you often get some interesting answers and stories behind the reasons.

I don't have one absolute favourite but I will run through a few here to get the ball rolling.

Oxford players 

Slim pickings here as for most of the time I have been following Oxford it has been there worst period in there history and I missed some of the real top players like Ray Houghton, John Aldridge and Dean Saunders playing for the club.

Joey Beuchamp would be high on my list. I saw him play towards the end of his peak and then in his decline due to injuries but what a player. A tricky traditional winger who scared the life out of full backs he really should have played at a higher level but enjoyed being the big fish in Oxfords small pond. He did sign for West Ham for 1 Million in 1994 but only spent 58 days at the Hammers because he was home sick! If you don't know your geography London and Oxford are only a few hours from each other. He signed for our rivals Swindon for £750k before signing back for us for 250k a season and a bit later. So all in all a very good deal for us.

Here is one of his best goals for us.

I think in recent years one of my favourite players would be James Constable. Known as Beano he scored the goals which got us back into the football league a few years ago. In total he scored 106 goals for the club in 280 apps (one short of being Oxford all time top goalscorer) including one at Wembley in the playoff final vs York. A real no nonsense type of player who is typical in the lower leagues in England he was a real 100% as well as a decent goalscorer. He also turned down a move Swindon during his time at Oxford and anyone who sticks two fingers up at Paulo Di Canio is a top bloke in my book.

I should also make honourable mentions for Dean Windass, Dean Whitehead and Chris Hackett for their time at Oxford.

Other players 

I have to mention Steven Gerrard as he scored the best goal I think i have ever seen live in the stadium. It came Vs Middlesbourgh.

In terms of players for England I have to say my favourites would be Beckham because he simply gave everything for England and lead the team by example despite often porr management and wrong team selections. I loved Shearer as well around Euro 96 and France 98 he was simply unstoppable and a proper all round Striker. 

My favourite England player I think was Michael Owen before injuries ruined his career. He was simply so quick and could change a game in an instant with his pace and finishing. If he hadnt had the injuries he did I'm sure he would be Englands all time top scorer and not Rooney.

This goal vs Brazil in 2002 sums up Owen for me. He could make bad balls good simply with his presence and willingness to run and hassle defenders and then was cool and calm enough to finish as well.

These are just a few of my favourite players and I could have listed even more.

Thank you for reading 

Kevin Phillips, Niall Quinn, Steed Malbranque, Sessegnon, Cattermole, Julio Arca, Nosworthy, Asamoah Gyan, Defoe, Micky Gray, Thomas Sorensen, Lorik Cana

Maldini, Totti, Xabi Alonso, Lampard, Gerrard, Messi, Fat Ronaldo, Henry, Bergkamp, Pirlo, Figo, Beckham, Zidane, Roberto Carlos

Loved Roy Keane as well

3 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

That surprises me. I know he was a good player but wasn't he a prick when he left Sunderland? I might be thinking someone else.

He left for money but wasn't really a prick, think you're thinking of Darren Bent

Owen comes to mind as I know he's one I gravitated towards as a kid but as an adult it would have to be Fernando Torres, he was easily my first footballing love and I was devastated when he left but it was a lesson I had to learn as I've never cared so much about a player since, even Suarez. Sure I appreciate his brilliance but I never allowed myself to love him haha. Torres volley against Blackburn is one the best goals I've ever seen haha. 

Gerrard and Carragher are obvious mentions but Mascherano, Reina, Agger, Fabio Aurelio, Riise, Finnan and Alonso were players I really liked as well. Tbh I liked most our starting XI's under Rafa, I just wish he could of had the funds to make us what he wanted us to be. We never really had any good wingers under him and when you hear we had deals agreed to sign David Villa and David Silva but the owners pulled the plug it sucks. 

Tbh it's not very often I hate a Liverpool player and I can't think of many if any under Rafa I didn't have time for but since those days there are a few. The standouts being Mignolet who I've never rated, sure he has good spells but he's unless most of the time and Moreno, but in truth Moreno is starting to turn me as he's been solid this year so far but I fear the second I trust him he'll score an own goal, give away a penalty and be sent off all in one game haha. No other top team would of had Mignolet in goal as long as we have and it's so frustrating, I know Reina nosedived towards the end with us but swapping Mignolet for Reina is like swapping Alonso for Aquilani. 

Outside of Liverpool my favourites echoes Sam's which is no surprise as he mentioned most the legends in his second paragraph. I'm too clever to fall into that trap Sam ;). I remember loving Real Madrid on the early football games I had which I suppose is why I have a soft spot for them now. 

Never worth getting too attached to any player really especially supporting club like Oxford cause they arnt going to stick around long one way or another.

Mignolet is simply not a top 4 goalkeeper and can't see a queue to sign him when he leaves Liverpool.

Moreno always seems like a luxury wing back to me. In a team with a solid defence and midfield he would look great. The way Liverpool are at the moment I'm not sure he works because you don't have that solid base that let's him do his thing.

1 minute ago, FuddledFox said:

Never worth getting too attached to any player really especially supporting club like Oxford cause they arnt going to stick around long one way or another.

Mignolet is simply not a top 4 goalkeeper and can't see a queue to sign him when he leaves Liverpool.

Moreno always seems like a luxury wing back to me. In a team with a solid defence and midfield he would look great. The way Liverpool are at the moment I'm not sure he works because you don't have that solid base that let's him do his thing.

Wise words mate

Agreed, I've never been convinced by him and I can't believe how many chances he's had. Apparently Lazio wanted him for £12m in the summer but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Like I typically will support any player wearing the shirt but Migs drives me crazy. Lovren is another one but when he's good he's solid but he has brain farts way too often like vs Spurs. I just hate all our defence tbh as none of it is good enough. 

We need to bin Hendo as the number 6 and bring in an elite holding/ball winning midfielder. That alone would improve us so much as it would stop us being so isolated but for some reason Klopp loves Hendo at the 6. We've never replaced Mascherano and it drives me mental as I love my DMC's haha.  

This is pretty tough tbh. Growing up it would have had to be Beckham. I was absolutely Beckham crazy back then and the only jersey I ever owned had his name on it. Then of course he moved to Madrid and I was absolutely shattered. (Kind of how Ashez was with Torres I guess). After that I don't think I ever completely went fanatic over any players. Of course I love Ronaldo as well as Giggs and Scholes (both of whom I am saddened that I only got to watch play in the latter half of their careers). Big fan of Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Rooney as well. My favorite player at the moment would have to be Michael Carrick and he's probably been my favorite player since Scholes retired. Just a class player and person.

Away from United it would be hard to pick a favorite. At the moment it might be Harry Kane. He just makes scoring goals look so easy haha. Always had a soft spot for Jermaine Defoe as well as Peter Crouch as well. Can't think of any other of the top of my head tbh. Oh! John O'Shea and Darren Fletcher as well. Here are two superb goals from both of them:

11 minutes ago, MerlionMaple96 said:

Michael Carrick

Has to be one of most underrated and underused English players of last few years particularly when we hype up anyone with an English passport and has 2 good premier league games in a row

I grew up as a United fan and there was one player who outshone everyone in my book for his brilliance, arrogance and sheer blind passing ability

the guy was a bit but what a player and I still never believe he didn’t play that often for France

Then there’s Roy Keane, Mark Hughes Dennis Irwin and Kanchelskis and then the class of 92 Giggs, Scholes and Beckham and then the strike partnership of Cole and Yorke

outside of United I loved Liverpool players like Fowler and McManaman (spelling?)

at Newcastle there was Shearer and Ginola

Chelsea had Zola

Arsenal had Bergkamp and Henry

but one of my all time favourite players was someone who I honestly believe could have killed it had he been brought into one of the big clubs

Le Tissier WHAT A LEGEND!!!!

14 hours ago, FuddledFox said:

@Taff

I have theory about Cantona but I don't think many would agree so might keep it to myself?

Great selection of players. I could have easily put any of them in my post.

I'd be interested to hear your theory, but you can PM me if you'd rather it be a bit less public

2 hours ago, FuddledFox said:

No Cameron Jerome in that list?

The problem with Jerome is that he needs to have 100 shots before he scores one. I wouldn't describe him as much of a target man any way, he's tall but likes to get beyond the defence whereas someone like Holty was all about holding it up for others then getting into the box for the cross.

4 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

Proper strike partnership.

You ever watched Premier Passions @samhardy?

Yeah course, multiple times actually. Would recommend anyone viewing this thread to watch this from the show :laugh:

Bet there's no team talks like that anymore!

6 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

Great show. Re watched it few months ago. Amazing how much football has changed in 20 years.

Seen this one? Orient manager sacks the fan's favourite player at HT and picks a fight with two other players :P He was sacked and is now a taxi driver.

For me it would definitely be Dennis Bergkamp, just a great player overall, and coming from a family of Dutchmen he was definitely a family favourite. I still remember watching his goal against Argentina at the world cup on live TV and celebrating frantically with my family.  

4 hours ago, Erreh said:

For me it would definitely be Dennis Bergkamp, just a great player overall, and coming from a family of Dutchmen he was definitely a family favourite. I still remember watching his goal against Argentina at the world cup on live TV and celebrating frantically with my family.  

The best players step up when you need them to don't they. Wonderful goal by a wonderful player. 

Great ball from @PriZe mate Frank De Boer as well.

1 hour ago, FuddledFox said:

The best players step up when you need them to don't they. Wonderful goal by a wonderful player. 

Great ball from @PriZe mate Frank De Boer as well.

Pure magical stuff from bergkamp and indeed great ball by de Boer :) Think after this goal i ran up an down the house screaming for 10 minutes:laugh:

2 hours ago, Kingsolop said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ronaldinho was the King for me...I remember his goal against England at the 2002 WC....Wow!

Yeah real genius of a player. He had such quick feet defenders couldn't get near him.

Can't say I enjoyed the goal vs England but it was great vision to see the opening.