Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Concord Rangers: Champions on the Cheap?

Aaron55

Concord Rangers. The Vanarama National League South also-rans. The BBC Essex Senior Cup contenders. The virtual unknowns.

How about Premier League Champions and winners of the Champions League?  

Any club at any level with those aims would obviously consider large investments in the playing squad to help them get to the required standard to make a good challenge in these competitions. It makes sense. The best players come at a price.

But how about attempting to take a club from the sixth tier all the way to the pinnacle of English and European club football, without spending any money on transfer fees at all?! 

Well, that is just what I will be attempting to do with the previously mentioned Concord Rangers. Free agents, loanees and youth players will have to rise to the challenge as we (hopefully) rise up the divisions. 

I've never attempted anything like this before, and have never spent much time managing in the lower leagues, and have no idea how this will turn out,  but I really wanted to challenge myself, and thought this could also be a career which people here might be interested in following. 

Will aim to have a first update posted here hopefully later tonight. 

1 minute ago, Aaron55 said:

Concord Rangers. The Vanarama National League South also-rans. The BBC Essex Senior Cup contenders. The virtual unknowns.

How about Premier League Champions and winners of the Champions League?  

Any club at any level with those aims would obviously consider large investments in the playing squad to help them get to the required standard to make a good challenge in these competitions. It makes sense. The best players come at a price.

But how about attempting to take a club from the sixth tier all the way to the pinnacle of English and European club football, without spending any money on transfer fees at all?! 

Well, that is just what I will be attempting to do with the previously mentioned Concord Rangers. Free agents, loanees and youth players will have to rise to the challenge as we (hopefully) rise up the divisions. 

I've never attempted anything like this before, and have never spent much time managing in the lower leagues, and have no idea how this will turn out,  but I really wanted to challenge myself, and thought this could also be a career which people here might be interested in following. 

Will aim to have a first update posted here hopefully later tonight. 

I did exactly the same thing with AFC Fylde on FMM2017 didnt spend a penny on any player including pre contract signings. Took me about 5 or 6 seasons to get to the prem. 

Might even still be on the threads....

Good luck though dude ?

4 minutes ago, Chris Woodward said:

I did exactly the same thing with AFC Fylde on FMM2017 didnt spend a penny on any player including pre contract signings. Took me about 5 or 6 seasons to get to the prem. 

Might even still be on the threads....

Good luck though dude ?

Thanks, I knew someone must have done it before haha, and nice that's a great achievement! Hopefully I'll do at least half as well as you ?

1 minute ago, Aaron55 said:

Thanks, I knew someone must have done it before haha, and nice that's a great achievement! Hopefully I'll do at least half as well as you ?

Better still do even better than i did! 

I have faith ?

All the best mate! Not an easy challenge but patience and lots of time searching for good enough players will do the trick! Looking forward to the first update!

3 minutes ago, Rocket said:

Good luck mate, it will be a hard task for your first fmm18 career. ;)

I love taking a team from non-league to Premier League but to do it without spending any money? Love that kinda ambition... will be watching closely and might just attempt it myself

You have to checking the free transfers all the time and keep tracknof who is running their contracts down.

It's a fun challange, i would adjust my budget every season to give me more money for wages...it really helps to get the bigger 'free' players.

7 hours ago, Taff said:

Fair play dude a very ambitious challenge look forward to following this one, but no transfers to me that’s a bit

A5CFEE86-24FE-4588-A64A-6A91D7562084.gif.bdb02895276aa29f2e6b7d6dc259c405.gif

but good luck 

It's the same to me haha, was just trying to think of something that would really challenge me. Usually just do Rangers or Championship/Premier League teams.

Season 1: Quick Update

When the history books look back on Concord Rangers unbelievable journey from Non-League no-marks to the Champions of England and Europe, they'll say it all started on Saturday 5th August 2017, at 3:01pm. Just a minute after kick-off in their first game of the Vanarama National League South 2017/18 season, against Wealdstone, midfielder Ricky Wellard received the ball in a brilliant position, and opened the scoring. The first goal, the spark, that set Concord on their way to becoming legendary. 

Or not. Unfortunately, Ricky Wellard plays for Wealdstone.

However, we did at least manage to deservedly go on to win the game 2-1.

D0sCDHtd.thumb.jpg.77ea60e64e70fd5b3a2dd82d818a9b2e.jpg

So, maybe it was just the spark we needed after all.  A win in our first competitive game in charge of a much changed Concord Rangers side from when I first took over as manager. Seven players were either sold or released, bringing in a total transfer profit of £525!

QywdiJTP.thumb.jpg.a1645ea37f8c0a2e903c15059b666f3a.jpg

These transfers helped to allow us to bring in 11 new players to hopefully improve the team and create some depth to the squad.

r5L-paRd.thumb.jpg.7f4c6fc1bd72ec066379d4d022c0c060.jpg

And did they improve the team? Well, so far we're not doing too badly for a team where the board expect us to battle bravely against relegation. A 4-3 friendly loss before any new transfers were made being the only loss preceding a run of 8 wins in a row, including 5 league games, which leaves us sitting pretty at the top of the table.

vvsxKcqQ.thumb.jpg.e6d3ca3cabcbbae0a604c9241690e8f7.jpgenFoAoi8.thumb.jpg.13d40ff3f98a40f73b2cc3e7ac3a310b.jpg

We even had four of our players feature in a single Team of the Week, a week where we had a 4-0 victory over Hemel Hempstead, and a 90+3' goal helped us to the 3 points in a 3-2 win against Truro.

ly6hWWwD.thumb.jpg.d5038621cdb7afc7d2ee9f7ff7599094.jpg

The team certainly seems to be playing well, and a list of the top performers in the squad would have to include Jordan Brown, formerly of Arsenal and West Ham, who has scored 9 goals in 5 games, including 5 in just one game.

Bv1V9rv1.thumb.jpg.92552c6e349bac3552eaa0c6604c7d24.jpgWATvM-AN.thumb.jpg.6084b379c1a7f1e75454229b56f0e288.jpg

As for team formation and tactics, I'm keeping it quite simple, using a 4-4-2 formation, with an attacking mentality. I'm still playing around a bit with the tactics side of things, so I'll post them when I have more of a set idea of what I want.

From now on, I'll be posting end of season updates, detailing everything that has gone on in that season. Hope you enjoyed this small update, and I look forward to what's going to happen next :D 

Edited by Aaron55

Good luck mate. I'm in the same league as you with Chippenham Town although I'm sure I will spend money when I get the chance. ?

Halfway through season 1 and I'm 6 points clear at top of VNS after 27 games. I got to the FA Cup 2nd round too drawing 3-3 with Scunthorpe but lost 4-0 in the replay.

2 minutes ago, Connor1874 said:

Good luck mate. I'm in the same league as you with Chippenham Town although I'm sure I will spend money when I get the chance. ?

Halfway through season 1 and I'm 6 points clear at top of VNS after 27 games. I got to the FA Cup 2nd round too drawing 3-3 with Scunthorpe but lost 4-0 in the replay.

Nice, sounds like you're doing quite well :D

4 minutes ago, kylieboi88 said:

What a run your on! Great to see your dismantling by local side!!! 

Brown looks immense how long can you keep hold of him? Big club release? 

Yeah, most of the new signings needed that release clause. Hopefully be able to get a few of them on new contracts in the near future. 

Good going so far mate, 

I found getting the EFL easier than getting up to the Prem.

I would regularly start a new season with almost a different squad. I just sold on for profit and bought in better freebies.

The higher wages helps tons.

KIU dude soon be wuppin Real Madrid in the final of the Champions League on a gloomy Wednesday night. ?

6 minutes ago, Chris Woodward said:

I would regularly start a new season with almost a different squad. I just sold on for profit and bought in better freebies. 

Yeah, pretty much my plan currently. 

2 hours ago, Aaron55 said:

Nice, sounds like you're doing quite well :D

Thanks mate, so far so good.

All inspired by my Chorley save from last year, where I took them from the North Vanarama league to League One playoff hopefuls in 6 season. Sadly I lost that file while in League One so I'll never know the true potential of that one. ?

7 minutes ago, Connor1874 said:

Thanks mate, so far so good.

All inspired by my Chorley save from last year, where I took them from the North Vanarama league to League One playoff hopefuls in 6 season. Sadly I lost that file while in League One so I'll never know the true potential of that one. ?

Gutting! :O:'(