Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic World Cup 2018

FuddledFox

With the World Cup draw taking place today in Moscow and with so many diffrent nations represented here on Vibe I thought I would start this thread.

Feel free to share your thoughts on next summer's tournament or memories from previous World Cups. 

My first real memories are of Italia 90. I might be biased as it was my first but I still think it's my favourite to date. It always helps when the host nation do well and Italy performed well at that tournament. Add in Pavarotti and that iconic song and great memories come flooding back. Also doesn't hurt that England made the semis which is our best performance since 66 and we were Gazza's stud length away from making the final. 

Apart from France 98, the World Cups have been a total embarrassment for us, mind you the Euros are doing a good job of making us look like fools. 

USA 94 was a kick in the teeth for England fans. To not qualify was an absolute disgrace. 

As a youngster I used to go into tournaments honestly believing we were going to win the whole thing. These days I just pray we don't embarrass ourselves. We have long believed our own hype and thought we were better than we were. These days at least we live in the real world and know how poor we are. 

Individual memories live long, Lineker scoring that Pen vs  Roger Millers Cameroon, Gazza breaking onto the world scene, Platts volley against Belgium, Maradona getting arrested for stealing a Ferrari whilst high on coke lol. 

Korea and Japan was brilliant from a neutral with Ronaldo (the original and best) banishing the memories of France 98 and leading Brazil to glory. Ireland also did themselves proud that year. 

Lets hope Russia entertains because some tournaments flatter to decisive. 

I remember a little from '90 as I had an older brother and I used to watch his videos. My first world cup memory is from 90 and is this.

I think Higuita is lucky he did that scorpion kick vs England so he isn't better remembered for this:laugh:

10 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Who are you hoping Holland get? @BatiGoal @PriZe

Dunno about PriZe, but I'm hoping the European Champions ?? Portugal as I have Portuguese blood dribbling thru my veins (y)

First memory was Italia 90 as well, I remember Caniggia getting launched vs Cameroon ? ? 

I think my first memories was USA 94, and I've watched on and off since, France 98 was great all the hype and France destroying Brazil, 

Don't have too many memories at this point of any great moments but always happy to see England Crash and Burn :P

7 minutes ago, Taff said:

Don't have too many memories at this point of any great moments but always happy to see England Crash and Burn 

Those street parties you Welsh and Scots have every 4 years must be fun and memorable.

20 minutes ago, Taff said:

Don't have too many memories at this point of any great moments but always happy to see England Crash and Burn :P

Probably the best thing about the World Cup to be honest. :laugh:

Being Irish, I really can't talk about the World Cup :laugh:

Just kidding, but seriously, we had the best possible start to the campaign and we bottled it, but aye, at least we beat Wales ;)

17 days top go until the World Cup starts, although Russia v Saudi Arabia doesn't excite me that much as an opening game, so I thought I would bump this thread and remind everyone that you can discuss anything World Cup related right here.

I bought my father a surprise ticket to the 3rd place play-off :) He got it in the mail yesterday and was in absolute shock !

So let's get some predictions lads.

Winner: Brazil if Neymar stays fit but I think France will go far as well.

How far your nation will get: I think England will make the quarter finals.

Top Scorer: Going to go for Greizman.

I think France will come good this time and win it.

England, Quarters too is the best I think.

I will go for Jesus as top scorer.

Winner - I was going to go for Spain until the chaos ensued so now I’m saying Brazil.

England - Will get through the group and lose in the last 16 to one of Poland, Colombia or Senegal.

Top Scorer - Romelu Lukaku

48 minutes ago, Titjes said:

Winner: Brazil

How far your nation will get: I just hope that "golden generation" will get far this time :laugh:

Top Scorer: Messi

Belgium

Further than Titjes with his girlfriend

Lukaku

Show some pride in your country, man! :D 

Winner: 🇵🇹 Portugal 🇵🇹 

How far your nation will get: World 🏆 champions

Top Scorer: Gonçalo Guedes 👍 

Did anyone else find it annoying that there was only 1 game today? I got the taste for the world cup and then no game tonight😔

Did enjoy the first match but I think Saudi made Russia look much better than they actually are. Saudi's look the perfect combination of having no attack and no defence😝