Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Poll The Weekly Poll: Do you put a Goalkeeper on the bench?

FuddledFox

The Weekly Poll: Do you put a Goalkeeper on the bench?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Do you put a Goalkeeper on the bench?

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • Never
    • My names Sam and I don't give a....

This poll is closed to new votes

It's back by popular demand! The weekly poll.

Do you put a Goalkeeper on the bench?

Related image

Recently we saw Dani Alves have to don the gloves and go in goal for PSG in the final moments of a French Cup game and we have seen many occasions in the past where an outfield player has had to stand in for the 'keeper either due to all subs being made or the manager not listing a sub goalie. When I first started playing Championship Manager in the 90's you only had 3 subs on the bench available to you so you had to maximise those three players. I would like to have a striker, a versatile player who could cover a number of positions and because I am cautious a goalkeeper as well. Now in many top leagues we have the option of 7 players or sometimes more on the bench so it's easier to accommodate a goalie but do you? Is it really worth it, how many times have you had your goalie sent off or injured during a game? Have you ever not picked a sub goalie and it has come back to haunt you?

As always I would love to hear your experiences and thoughts.

Thank you for reading and voting. 

Depends who my assistant puts on the bench :P Where's the option for that?

I rarely make subs so pick my XI and off we go. Two main assets I want when buying players are versatility and stamina.

9 minutes ago, Titjes said:

Both times sending off :P

What's your keeper doing:O are you using a sweeper keeper and high defensive line?

6 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Where's the option for that?

Covered by option 4:P

7 minutes ago, samhardy said:

arely make subs so pick my XI and off we go. Two main assets I want when buying players are versatility and stamina

It's a fine line between lazy and old school. Which side of it are you?

3 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

Didn't want to use my option this week but you've left me no choice ;)

It's lazy but I also go to the effort of buying versatile players to fill the bench... So that cancels out the laziness I guess :P

Always! Cus i know the moment i don't he will get injured or sent off.

I dont think i could risk it to honest, unless you have a player with a keeper dual role....which i dont think we have ever seen in FMM.

1 hour ago, FuddledFox said:

What's your keeper doing:O are you using a sweeper keeper and high defensive line?

High defence line :)

6 minutes ago, Rob2017 said:

I always use one, and use a high line and offside trap, but I can’t actually remember the last time I had to use him.

Same here.

1 hour ago, Titjes said:

High defence line :)

You have me interested. Was both sendings off the same player? Does he have high aggression or low decisions? 

52 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

Same here.

You have me interested. Was both sendings off the same player? Does he have high aggression or low decisions? 

If I'm not mistaken it was Ter Stegen once and Ederson the other time. Both on a clean break trough after last defender was beaten

Edited by Titjes

Sometimes. 

Sub1-2: Def, Sub3-5: Mid, Sub6-7: For

Sub8: biggest talent, Sub9: GK

S8-9 come on when there's injuries/suspensions in the squad. That's how most of my 20-men squads look like. 

Up to the assistant as I always do clear all pick all and make the odd starting XI change so I never pick my subs, mainly because I think the current system is too fiddly. 

22 hours ago, samhardy said:

I rarely make subs so pick my XI and off we go.

21 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Up to the assistant as I always do clear all pick all and make the odd starting XI change so I never pick my subs

I wonder no more why I'm #1 :P

3 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

I wonder no more why I'm #1 :P

If you plan your squad correctly and keep it small the AI can't really mess up naming your subs. 

1. They always pick a keeper

2. Have a few defenders who can play across the line, so you should be covered. 

3. A CM to replace the BBM which I do every match 

4. I usually play narrow so i have no wide players which means strikers are picked or CM's so I always have something to work with. 

I never pick a goalie.. it’s a hangover from a long time ago when subs were limited. Just never ever needed one and like the risk!!

29 minutes ago, Snip said:

I never pick a goalie.. it’s a hangover from a long time ago when subs were limited. Just never ever needed one and like the risk!!

Ian Atkins style. Seem to remember Scott Mcniven going in goal for us years ago cause we had no sub Gk maybe at Shrewsbury.

No. Never. Why'd I do that? Absolute waste of a bench option.

7 players - 1 full back, 2 centre backs, 2 centre mids, 1 winger, 1 striker.

It's somewhat because I'm quite set in having 2 types of centre backs and 2 types of centre mids, and somewhat because my central players can often play wide anyways.

Edited by Meow

Okay, I'll rework the question

Does the amount of red cards/in match injuries for keepers need to be looked at? Seems clear that most people take this for granted and that keeper relating events don't happen often enough in game? 

3 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Oi!!! get your own poll. coming round here reworking my questions?

4 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Does the amount of red cards/in match injuries for keepers need to be looked at? Seems clear that most people take this for granted and that keeper relating events don't happen often enough in game?

Yes there should be more sense of jeapody if you choose not to have a sub keeper.

38 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

Oi!!! get your own poll. coming round here reworking my questions?

Yes there should be more sense of jeapody if you choose not to have a sub keeper.

I agree but keeper events always irritate me haha

9 hours ago, Ashez said:

If keepers get 2 injuries in a season people start complaining there are too many injuries. If the team doesn't score a goal for every 2 created chances the game is too hard. If strikers can't score over 50gls the game is too unrealistic. 

Other than that I believe everyone is very happy with the game :S