Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics The mighty 3-2-3-2 : 200+ goals in first season

YeTiYeTi

The mighty 3-2-3-2 EME:

Been using this tactic since the 2017 edition and finally decided to present it to you guys :)

Tactical shape:

IMG_2465.thumb.PNG.54154a11495a3e513e0a34463220a39b.PNG

Defensive instructions:

IMG_2466.thumb.PNG.f4be52d7dca95e790ed957d535fc5501.PNG

Attacking instructions:

IMG_2467.thumb.PNG.2d86dddf843be37bbdd81cd729d7a5ba.PNG

How did the team perform?:

IMG_2472.thumb.PNG.031d61055d0d291917867059ce64540c.PNG

IMG_2460.thumb.PNG.be3e01f2f465e6d73abb0a758b9b3227.PNG

IMG_2463.thumb.PNG.344a4e0b5891dec2e7d2b89ba7b787e1.PNG

8 players being above 10 goals in their first season !

Concluding

Had already used this tactic in the previous version, as well with smaller teams and got pretty successfull everywhere I got.

Examples: Became champion twice in a row with Oxford City, climbing from Vanarama South to League Two, before joining Bari in Serie B, and leading them to European Qualifying place in Serie A. Then joined Schalke 04 where I won pretty much everything there was to win with them.

I'm sure you can get better results with better players and/or by fine tuning the tactics, but that was pretty decent for a first season :)

Edited by YeTiYeTi

Who did you use as AM, and why did you pick AM instead of AP or Trequartista? Never really used this role and it's the first time I see it used.

Edited by JohnyBravo

Can’t speak for the op but in that game I used barco and siggy stardust, I was also thinking of trying an ap as well, and also changing the roles for the strikers but the tactic works fine as is

11 hours ago, JohnyBravo said:

Who did you use as AM, and why did you pick AM instead of AP or Trequartista? Never really used this role and it's the first time I see it used.

I mainly used Thomas Lemar (I've thought him to play in this role). I was looking for a player with the following:

• Excellent passing
  • Excellent decision making
  • Good dribbling
  • Good shooting
  • Collective player

He finished the season with 10 goals as you can see in the print screen and nearly 40 assists (no proof of this one, you'll have to believe me :D). 

Let's have a look at the roles and definitions:

• AM - "[...] he fashions chances for himself and others in final third[...]"
  • T - "[...] drops into the holes between the opposition's midfield and defence [...] drifts around looking for space when the team is not in possession[...]"
  • AP - "[...] drops into the holes between the opposition's midfield and defence [...] aiming to turn defence into attack in an instant
  • SS - "[...] agressively pushes forward into goalscoring positions as the ball move into the final third [...]"

Basically, I didn't select SS as I already had two strikers and two inside forwards. That's already 4 players looking to score goals. AP & T sounds to me like players that are usefull to hold possession of the ball and/or becoming additional striker when in transition phase. AM was exactly what I was looking for: a player that can give killer passes to my strikers and inside forwards and that, time to time score some goals.

12 hours ago, AYB said:

Can’t speak for the op but in that game I used barco and siggy stardust, I was also thinking of trying an ap as well, and also changing the roles for the strikers but the tactic works fine as is

Regarding the strikers roles the idea is pretty basic as when you have two strikers. One is fast and runs past the defence, the other one is powerfull and can hold the ball for the team to come up the pitch or flick the ball for the quicker players.

What could be changed in this tactic are the outside players. These could be wingers with good crossing abilities but then you'd need to specify this in the attacking instructions. I'm pretty sure it could work out nicely. But that wasn't my choice :) Instead I wanted players with freedom to penetrate from outside to inside or to outflank and cross. That's why I gave very little instructions in the "Final Third" section of the Attacking Instructions.

Hope this answers both your questions (y)

Had something similar, but with only two defenders. Scored loads as well, but abandoned it as it was getting in the way of my 1K attempt.

I have used similar 3-2-3-2 approaches as well, with a fair amount of success. I don't particularly like having two strikers and 2 inside forwards, as they tend to position themselves in the same area of the field - i.e. the left inside forward move towards the same spot where the left central striker is, as well as the right IF.

The main weakness of the formation is the open space left by your IFs on the flanks - a counter attacking team with quick wingers will cause havoc.

Regarding the AP/AM discussion, my experience says that the AP tends to drift more looking for space, while the AM tends to stay more fixed in the central position.

All in all, it looks like a solid tactic for a strong team. Good job :)

17 minutes ago, rafa said:

I have used similar 3-2-3-2 approaches as well, with a fair amount of success. I don't particularly like having two strikers and 2 inside forwards, as they tend to position themselves in the same area of the field - i.e. the left inside forward move towards the same spot where the left central striker is, as well as the right IF.

The main weakness of the formation is the open space left by your IFs on the flanks - a counter attacking team with quick wingers will cause havoc.

Regarding the AP/AM discussion, my experience says that the AP tends to drift more looking for space, while the AM tends to stay more fixed in the central position.

All in all, it looks like a solid tactic for a strong team. Good job :)

I have to agree, this tactic would never work in real life and might look a bit chaotic when watching your FMM game. But it's efficient, so... To limit the flanks weakness, I wanted 3 defenders and 1 midfielder with a defensive mentality, hence the BWM role for the latter.

I've looked for defenders that were all: good in the air, quick, with good tackles and placement and decision making (plus passing for the  BPD role). The BWM had pretty much the same: good at tackles, placement, decision making, stamina and passing. 

That results in receiving a little less than 1 goal per game (0.9) but when you score more than 3 (3.2), it's acceptable. I however notice that this tactic was better defensively speaking in the 2017 version. I also notice that in my second season, opponents seem to have adapted to my tactic and tend to score more (1.2)... even though I do score more as well in this second season (3.4)

I'm currently thinking of a new tactics and will come back with another topic if successfull :D

You could always try a regular CM or DLP instead of the BWM, as the BWM tends to float around more, instead of being defensively solid.

35 minutes ago, Jens said:

You could always try a regular CM or DLP instead of the BWM, as the BWM tends to float around more, instead of being defensively solid.

I know but that was my idea of using the BWM. I already have 3 centre backs in charge of the middle of the pitch. This 1 BWM is allowed to float on flanks to intercept/defend

I was flying using your wonderful tactic, it seems since the latest update none of these tactics on the forum work with any consistency, if anyone has a winning tactic or link to a winning tactic on the new update, please reply 

6 hours ago, joshb said:

I was flying using your wonderful tactic, it seems since the latest update none of these tactics on the forum work with any consistency, if anyone has a winning tactic or link to a winning tactic on the new update, please reply 

I have a to agree. Since the latest update my formation, (easy 4goals a agame) has stopped working. This formation on the other hand isn’t affected by the update.

Of all the tactics i have tried and experimented with, this has been the best that i have tried. I am currently using wolves and we ended the season with only one loss and had a clean sweep of all the trophies. But i changed the attackers to an advanced forward and deep lying forward pairing and the bwm to a deep lying playmaker and sometimes central midfielder, when i play stronger teams, I change to control and narrow the width. Thanks for the tactic