Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help inside forward

Use a winger with good Aerial, Movement, Shooting and Technique. Screenshot_20180313-090624.thumb.png.1b7bd23e6e48dcfef18b96b42af4bfc5.png

Most importantly, make sure his natural position (between caps/goals & 'Aerial') is 'Inside Forward' and play him on the opposite side of his preferred foot (ala Robben).

This is like very classic tactics that works. I inserted Lemar because he is an interesting example that good inside forward on left wing can have his left foot as stronger although it doesn't make sense. As a winger in real life I know I wouldn't cut inside :D. I am not playing him as a advanced playmaker because I hate them on wings as they belong to the midfield.

Screenshot_2018-03-18-09-00-50.png

Screenshot_2018-03-18-09-00-41.png

Screenshot_2018-03-18-09-01-03.png

@desmon111 yeah, they are called inside forwards because while, for example, you have him on a right wing and his stronger foot is left, then if he gets ball he will try to get in front of a goal by cutting inside exactly like Robben, he is well known for this, look him up. Wingers as their stronger foot is right on the right side will try to get to the side and pass high balls into the box - the best scenario is Target man (good aerial) waiting for those passes. Inside forwards doesn't care who is infront of a box and are expected to be a bit selfish - shoot without passing.

Screenshot_2018-03-19-08-26-06.png

Screenshot_2018-03-19-08-26-01.png

On 3/17/2018 at 11:46, samhardy said:

Then he's not a very good inside forward.

Not entirely true. I have noticed that the usual in-game behaviour for inside forwards is to be at the wing position when the team doesn't have the ball, and to move to the centre of the attack when the team is in possession.

A 'real world' inside forward would stay on the wing until he has the ball possession, not behave as a centre forward whenever anyone in the team has the possession.

Use the vanilla version of FM18 (before any updates). Back then you could put whatever you wanted at IF and have them average 1+ goals per game played. 

48 minutes ago, rafa said:

Not entirely true. I have noticed that the usual in-game behaviour for inside forwards is to be at the wing position when the team doesn't have the ball, and to move to the centre of the attack when the team is in possession.

A 'real world' inside forward would stay on the wing until he has the ball possession, not behave as a centre forward whenever anyone in the team has the possession.

They all "cut inside" at some point both in FMM and in reality. If, as the guy I was responding to was saying, albeit not with great detail, a player set as an inside forward stays rooted to the wing all game and never makes inroads into the centre then he's either not a very good inside forward or not carrying out his role properly.

53 minutes ago, rafa said:

Not tested this but perhaps IFs may be more inclined to stay out wide if creative freedom is set to disciplined and drift around more if set to expressive?

Depends on the player's personality and traits too I guess...

in my tactics 4-2-3-1, i have two inside forward but at least one will cut inside and the other inside forward just stay out?why?

1 hour ago, desmon111 said:

in my tactics 4-2-3-1, i have two inside forward but at least one will cut inside and the other inside forward just stay out?why?

May be worth checking the players' positions screen to see if 'cuts inside' shows up in their traits with the IF role selected. Some players will naturally play that way whilst others will stay out wide.

Tactics will only do so much, ideally you need the right players in the roles