Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Wingbacks....what's important?!

Woody

Hey all...

As some of you may well know i have a bit of a love/hate(mostly hate) relationship with the new update.

I am currently enjoying a nice weekend away with the clan and i've got abit of spare time to to do some testing.

Now...i have come across a quandry.

This may have come up in other posts but i haven't been able to find anything, i was wondering what is important in a modern day Wingback?

Before i get loads of replies, i have been trying to take into account where my WB is playing.

I thought if i play a wingback in a FB slot does tackling become more important than if he played in a more advance WB position with say a DM as cover infront of the back 2.

As most modern day WB are crap at tackling but rely on mostly pace and positioning, crossing blah blah, does that mean tackling isnt that important.

So say we could get away with a 10 tackling as long as he has pace to recover and high decisions maybe.

I'm not sure, i am just throwing it out there for discussion as i'm not too sure if it responds in the same way as irl.

Personally regardless of role or team set up I focus on the defensive attributes, especially positioning. My reasoning is imo the main job of a FB is to defend and I don't want the engine screwing me if my player is to attack minded. 

I have the same approach with other roles like CM APM/BBMs as I'll also make sure they have solid defensive attributes even if they're playing an attack focused role. 

2 hours ago, sduncan0312 said:

Teamworking, Tackling, pace, crossing, stamina are the main characteristics. Then I look at positioning, strength and dribbling.

I get all that i do....but i want to know in a advanced WB position how much is tackling needed.

Can i get away with a low tackling attribute if there is cover.

Last season Chelsea had Moses down the right, sacrifising his ability to defend(as he is a winger/striker). Now obviously he does track back but he was so devestating in that title winning season.

Man Utd are doing it this year, but not to the same effect. I think in order for it to work you need 3 at the back and a supporting DM sitting in front of the 3.

Its all hypathetical i know but i think its worth a look into.

I'm thinking 2 BPD either side of a CD supplying balls to the WB with maybe an Anchor or DLP infront of the defence....i'm not sure, like i said it's an hypothosis at the moment.

What's the point of having good tackling if you aren't in the right place to use it? Positioning is the vital one out of the two, arguably more vital at DMR/L as they're more likely to be out of position. After that I'd look at decisions as you want them breaking at the right times while they need the stamina to last for 90 mins. 

25 minutes ago, Ashez said:

What's the point of having good tackling if you aren't in the right place to use it? Positioning is the vital one out of the two, arguably more vital at DMR/L as they're more likely to be out of position. After that I'd look at decisions as you want them breaking at the right times while they need the stamina to last for 90 mins. 

I know what you mean and i agree...i was seeing if i could replicate real world. 

It appears in this case i cant, more sides are using wingers as wingbacks...its strange yes but to some degree its working.

8 hours ago, Acidsparxx said:

I know what you mean and i agree...i was seeing if i could replicate real world. 

It appears in this case i cant, more sides are using wingers as wingbacks...its strange yes but to some degree its working.

Most attacking wingbacks are just failed wingers tbf

added 0 minutes later
8 hours ago, Acidsparxx said:

7 minutes ago, Ashez said:

added 0 minutes later

Very true.....but then you look at Bale. Left back turned left inside forward.

17 hours ago, Acidsparxx said:

Hey all...

As some of you may well know i have a bit of a love/hate(mostly hate) relationship with the new update.

I am currently enjoying a nice weekend away with the clan and i've got abit of spare time to to do some testing.

Now...i have come across a quandry.

This may have come up in other posts but i haven't been able to find anything, i was wondering what is important in a modern day Wingback?

Before i get loads of replies, i have been trying to take into account where my WB is playing.

I thought if i play a wingback in a FB slot does tackling become more important than if he played in a more advance WB position with say a DM as cover infront of the back 2.

As most modern day WB are crap at tackling but rely on mostly pace and positioning, crossing blah blah, does that mean tackling isnt that important.

So say we could get away with a 10 tackling as long as he has pace to recover and high decisions maybe.

I'm not sure, i am just throwing it out there for discussion as i'm not too sure if it responds in the same way as irl.

There's no definite answer for that. Ideally you would like to have a well-rounded player, with good pace and stamina. But then it depends on what you actually need for the position. If you have a solid back three, you can probably pull off a more attack minded player. If you play only two CBs, you may want your WB to have better defensive skills.

14 minutes ago, rafa said:

There's no definite answer for that. Ideally you would like to have a well-rounded player, with good pace and stamina. But then it depends on what you actually need for the position. If you have a solid back three, you can probably pull off a more attack minded player. If you play only two CBs, you may want your WB to have better defensive skills.

Exactly....thats why i though you could negate a tackling wb for a more attacking minded one.

But only if you played 3 at the back....like Chelsea did.

I'm not sure its all thoughts like i said but there might be something in it ?