Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Scratch Tries: Andrea Pinamonti 1.5KC [Complete]

Scratch Tries: Andrea Pinamonti 1KC [Intro]

So here I am on FMM2018 at last! Better late than never, hey?

After finally finishing my FMM2017 Facundo Colidio 1KC, I took a break from FMM. Then I started an FMM2018 Oxford United career (very mediocre, didn't finish the first season). Then I took a break again, a long one. Then I restarted the Oxford United career (much more successful, still didn't finish the first season).

And then...

@Woody got me thinking about 1KCs again (on the tail end of the Colidio topic) and @BatiGoal @Rob2017 @Nucleus and @Foxy all chipped in with advice. Even @samhardy said he liked my idea of a 1KC where Newcastle achieved total domination (well he may not have actually said that).

And here we are... An Andrea Pinamonti 1KC at Newcastle Utd.

Why Pinamonti?

Once upon a time, I started a PinaColada double 1KC, featuring Pinamonti and Colidio. Unfortunately I got caught up in other careers and it ended up abandoned. I circled back to Colodio for a 1KC last time and it just made sense that it was Pinamonti's turn this time. I owed him one...

Let's have a look at him:

pinamonti-season01-04.jpg.d6c85c8f9c40a46b769f186971844e0e.jpg

Promising. To compare, this is what he looked like when I used him in FMM2017:

pinacolada-setup-08.png

He's faster this year, which fits right in with my way of playing. Shame he's not so selfish though...

Why Newcastle?

To be honest, my first thought was to return to Celtic where you have a big team in a poor league, which is great for a 1KC. I also like the fact that it takes a few years to build up a great team - you have to really work at it.

But as @BatiGoal pointed out, it was getting a bit boring with me always using Celtic. Also Pinamonti costs too much for Celtic in FMM2018.

Newcastle could afford him and it's been a while since I've done a Newcastle save. As a Newcastle fan, it seemed time to put that right. It's likely to be harder to do a 1KC in the EPL than in Scotland, but what the heck, it seems like a good fit.

Details

As with all my careers, I'll be using the EME.

I only have England (the Premier League and the Championship) loaded. No switching teams in this one, it's Newcastle all the way baby! Also, I find that the more leagues you have loaded, the more lower quality players there are, which makes it harder to find the higher quality ones. With fewer leagues there is a much higher chance that young player from abroad is a gem.

And all the unlockables are off, so I can use them once I've earned them in this career.

What's Next?

I've already played season one, but have run out of time to write it up today. Expect it in the next day or two. I'm excited to be back playing again!

Edited by Scratch
Changed title to reflect season

Oh oh oh...im looking forward to this 😆

Good luck fella...im glad i have made a small contribution to this career.

The fact that your using Newcastle too is adding to my joy. 😂

4 hours ago, lilgwanz said:

Can't wait for this one mate!

Thanks mate! I'll try to get through it faster than the last one! 🙂

added 0 minutes later
3 hours ago, macmole said:

The master of the 1kc stories is back

So, um, no pressure then? 😄

3 hours ago, Woody said:

Oh oh oh...im looking forward to this 😆

Good luck fella...im glad i have made a small contribution to this career.

The fact that your using Newcastle too is adding to my joy. 😂

Thanks mate, you gave me the spark that I needed to kick this off. I'm sure I would have got around to it sometime, but this is actually on you! 😄

Actually in hindsight, it's a bit strange I've never done a 1KC with Newcastle - I'm really really loving it.

3 hours ago, Nucleus said:

Glad to have had some impact on this! All the best Scratch

Thanks mate, I appreciated the support I got over there on that other thread, helped me make up my mind it was time to get back in the saddle.

3 hours ago, Foxy said:

It's Friday✔

I'm finishing work at lunchtime✔

@scratch99 has started a new career✔

That career is with the mighty yellows

Oh well 3 out of 4 ain't bad, good luck mate😃

Not bad at all! Was really actually planning to do a U's career, but I'm a sucker for a 1KC and it seemed a lot harder to do one at Oxford. Might try it in the future though. Would be an interesting one - get a promising young striker and try to grow the club faster than his growth and ambition...

Thanks!

Edited by scratch99
2 hours ago, Titjes said:

Good luck ;) 

Pinamonti is a quality choice for a 1kc :)

Thanks mate - he is looking great so far. I think he's going all the way! 

16 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

and it seemed a lot harder to do one at Oxford

Agreed I would love to do an Oxford based 1k but its finding the right player that will stay at the club long enough.

7 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Oh, Jesus Christ!! It's happening...

:(

Where is the mute button for this thread?

Sorry mate. I promise I'll only ping you with every second Champions League victory 😂

There is *some* good news for Sunderland (though may depend on your point of view). Rafa Benetiz decided to get back at Newcastle for sacking him when someone better came along, so he took over at Sunderland. Not sure if you'll be able to accept him, but I'm sure you'll be rising through the leagues quick smart... 

5 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Agreed I would love to do an Oxford based 1k but its finding the right player that will stay at the club long enough.

Yeah and they have to be good enough to score in the Premier League (assuming you'll make it there). Tricky to get that balance. A player good enough to cut it at the top, who'll stick around for the journey... I think I'll try it one day, but might be a crash and burn situation!

2 hours ago, scratch99 said:

Thanks mate, you gave me the spark that I needed to kick this off. I'm sure I would have got around to it sometime, but this is actually on you! 😄

Actually in hindsight, it's a bit strange I've never done a 1KC with Newcastle - I'm really really loving it.

God bless ya 😆

Got everything crossed for ya dude 👍

2 hours ago, samhardy said:

Oh, Jesus Christ!! It's happening...

:(

Where is the mute button for this thread?

Oh....this has defo gone up a notch now 😂 

Pls @scratch99 if only to upset Sam 😂😂

On 14/07/2018 at 01:20, Woody said:

Oh....this has defo gone up a notch now 😂 

Pls @scratch99 if only to upset Sam 😂😂

Well, alright then,... :D

added 0 minutes later
On 14/07/2018 at 03:47, Rob2017 said:

Good look boss man 

Thanks mate! Just about to post the first update. :)

added 0 minutes later
On 14/07/2018 at 10:25, gunnersaur said:

Good luck 

Thanks! 

Update - Season 1

So lets get this thing going!

Team Report

Let's see what I inherited from Rafa Benetiz:

pinamonti-season01-02.jpg.125f745b4816506861850a22f77cc677.jpg

Hmm, we have money to spare, some promising youngsters and a good mood! Beyond that, we basically have a bunch of players that aren't going to win anything anytime soon. Looks like we have some work to do.

Let's see how we ended up at the end of the year:

pinamonti-season01-41.jpg.c23e25c8ab1b8475960be75978c9ff21.jpg

Well, we've certainly improved somewhat, but we still have some way to go.

Staff

The first thing I do in any career is to sort out my staff. We start with a decent bunch, but not enough gold for me:

pinamonti-season01-01.jpg.f7bfd565d8167303a0b7da1f5b3e7a3b.jpg

Those that passed their exams stayed. Those that didn't made way for someone else:

pinamonti-season01-03.jpg.731b167bc8a7a0264ae270afa092302d.jpg

Transfers

On to the playing squad. As always, I like to rip the squad up and bring in a bunch of promising youngsters who may end up as superstars.

As I said in my previous update, I load as few leagues as possible. That means there are less mediocre players in the game and the chances of a South American youngster becoming a superstar is pretty good.

So out with most of the team and in with the next generation. It will take time for them to mature, but it's hard to go wrong with this approach (it should mean terrible results if FMM was more realistic, but it isn't).

Going out were 19 players, even some players I might have been happy to keep:

Spoiler

pinamonti-season01-32.jpg.4fde95a7eb442fc32a5494cb1ff6c1f9.jpg

pinamonti-season01-33.jpg.655e4b118c4b8b9c4c7ee153518842f7.jpg

Coming in were 18 players:

Spoiler

pinamonti-season01-34.jpg.6cae7beace5329633d41feb0ea67e47d.jpg

pinamonti-season01-35.jpg.4a2f44dce8879956ec13341d7a5ecf4a.jpg

Notable newcomers:

• Pinamonti obviously, costing £29M plus a player (I forget who). I think he's worth it.

• Rodrygo and Junior, both of whom I considered for the 1KC player at one point. Maybe they will work well as wide players. If not, they will be good backup strikers. If worst comes to worst, then I'll be able to sell them at a high profit.

• Pavon who was gold for me in all my FMM 2017 careers. He's performing well in season 2, but his attributes aren't as good as I expected.

• Arthur who seems destined to be a world class midfielder.

• Ajer who I've used before at Celtic. Had mixed feelings about this one as he's only good for a few seasons before the squad eclipses him, but he's very versatile and a good asset at this point.

• Dudu, ditto.

• Rajkovic who is still the best keeper on a quality vs cost ratio. I didn't have that much luck with him in FMM 2017 (he used to text during training and piss his teammates off), but I couldn't go past him.

• A bunch of other promising young players from abroad, ranging in age from 17 (develop for later) through to 25 (should be able to use now).

So, massive changes, hope it works out...

Tactics

I've only had a few short saves in FMM 2018, none lasting a whole season. In the first, I used the 4-3-2-1 tactic I've used in all my 1KCs. It sucked badly. 🙁

When I came back after a break (and an update to the app), it seemed to work well again, so that's what I went with.

pinamonti-season01-28.jpg.6c3c105549821946e461cb05c24a9f17.jpg

I tweaked the instructions / player roles a little depending on who was playing, the opponents, the stage of the game, etc but it was 4 3 2 1 formation all the way.

Dramas

I guess it's not football if there aren't dramas from time to time. Our big drama was Arthur. He came in for £6.75M plus a player and grew into this over the course of the year:

pinamonti-season01-42.jpg.d6a0b3feaff536244a06be57436afd46.jpg

He quickly established himself as our best midfielder, but got injured after a month or two. When he returned from injury several months later, he somehow decided he was too good for Newcastle:

pinamonti-season01-11.jpg.f9f7a95fa24212b55cb900c925946ccd.jpg

He wasn't the only one who wanted to leave. Both Pavon and Fred made noises about leaving - but they both signed new contracts, while Arthur was insistent about leaving. Not a week would go by without some sort of headline about how unhappy he was.

In this situation I normally cut my losses and sell the player. Well, having received several £100M+ bids, I couldn't have really called it a loss. The thing is though: he kept playing well and he was still very popular in the dressing room. So, he's still with us.

Anyway, this highlights that despite some success this season (read below!), players still consider Newcastle as small fish. It's up to us to change that and quickly.

Competitions

Here's how we did in the various competitions this seasons:

• Finished 3rd in the Premier League. Not bad for the first season. We were only 1 point behind first place with 3 games to go and I thought we'd be able to pull it off, but no cigar. Didn't score many goals though.

• Won the FA Cup, with a 2-0 win over Liverpool in the Final.

• Got knocked out of the League Cup by Southampton in only the 3rd round. It went to penalties but we missed 4 out of our 5 attempts!

Spoiler

pinamonti-season01-25.jpg.abfc5271c1fa79d9fe1d317b1ce1cb6a.jpg

pinamonti-season01-26.jpg.9d966cd320efb67b9de359886f09bbb9.jpg

pinamonti-season01-99.jpg.ceddd02cd75651e15b3430f5245a712d.jpg

Injuries

My staff report that Pinamonti is "very rarely injured". However, in February he went ahead got injured. At least he scored a couple before going off.

pinamonti-season01-12.jpg.9b424ce9dfa94e006d02c1d2ff608206.jpg

What was the damage? One month:

pinamonti-season01-13.jpg.bcfbd84a6f2d51af5fd700163b3156d3.jpg

Not ideal, but that's football... Worth noting that his understudy made the most of his chance with Pinamonti being out and scored a quadruple in a topsy turvy match:

pinamonti-season01-17.jpg.bce7b5c0477b23ed8f86f4c73d31fa5c.jpg

Development

Pinamonti started the season looking like this:

pinamonti-season01-04.jpg.3690693272fffbc81ad75e6eb0cd6bb7.jpg

And ended the season looking like this:

pinamonti-season01-36.jpg.b5b2a31b262295f6a43d799ed6ff0594.jpg

Decent progress. I'm not using Intensive Training or anything, but I have bumped Physical training up a notch at the expense of Motivation.

Awards

This is really meant for Pinamonti, but it was another of our young players who won Player of the Year this year - Gustavo Scarpa:

pinamonti-season01-40.jpg.be5e65bd296c446b07454aaa95651d5c.jpg

Doesn't look that flash on paper, but easily our best player (the only one averaging over 8):

pinamonti-season01-44.jpg.c52d15f3b8fb13f7c537660cbceeb891.jpg

Other

We could call this section "Bad News For @samhardy", but I'll resist that urge. Sadly for Sam, it looks like not even Rafa Benetiz can save Sunderland:

pinamonti-season01-20.jpg.1342cbef4cd03250ac2c475b7572482a.jpg

They haven't sacked him yet. Maybe he can still turn it around. Or maybe he still has the best interests of Newcastle fans at heart.

Goals

Pinamonti scored one hat-trick this year:

pinamonti-season01-21.jpg.8075947a07b408f3cde3a973f6bfe67b.jpg

He scored 25 goals in 38 appearances:

pinamonti-season01-37.jpg.d18ecaa1efe7c2d8cdb1fcb7cbd75914.jpg

I consider that a decent start for an 18 year old, especially given the injury. I know others get a whole heap more goals out of their players straight away, but I'm more of long game player. I make it to the 1K just by persistence rather than any earth shattering goal tallies or super tactics! 🙂

Progress

19 years old (EOY) Season Total
Club Goals 25 25

The Future

A decent start. The team coming together. Things are looking up! I reckon he'll score 35 goals next year - not quite ready to predict 40, but I'm quietly hoping... Bring it on!

Edited by scratch99

Smashing start that mate all things considered. The tactic you use is very similar to my 1k one, just a few differences here and there. Keep it up!

Nice start mate and it looks like you are getting the squad sorted for bigger and better things. I'm with you on Arthur, if he is performing and not upsetting the rest of the squad then keep him at the club you don't want to become a selling club.

Putting the hideous choice of club to one side, it’s good to see you finally over on the 18 forum and *enjoying* (is that the right word?) the game once again.

Looking forward to following this adventure.

Now that’s out the way, FA Cup success already? Benitez hired and almost fired by Sunderland? 🤢Searching for that delete thread option...

10 hours ago, Nucleus said:

Smashing start that mate all things considered. The tactic you use is very similar to my 1k one, just a few differences here and there. Keep it up!

Thanks! I think I'll keep playing with the tactic. I had wingers for Armstrong in 2017 (he wasn't good enough to score unless I kept the better players out of the box and hit them on the counter), one winger and one AP for Colidio (he was good enough and that created more chances, not counter anymore), now two APs for Pinamonti (as he can't win anything in the air!). 

Actually in season two, I'm currently using only one CB, with a DLP in the DM spot and a TM next to Pinamonti and it's working surprisingly well. I'll probably go back to one up front in the next season or two, but will continue to play around with the formation. I'm always tweaking the instructions too.

7 hours ago, Foxy said:

Nice start mate and it looks like you are getting the squad sorted for bigger and better things. I'm with you on Arthur, if he is performing and not upsetting the rest of the squad then keep him at the club you don't want to become a selling club.

Yeah, no real benefit to selling him right now (apart from the money, but I'd rather have the player). At Christmas in Season 2: he's still complaining, his performances have dropped, he's not very popular anymore but no one is upset with him, so I'm persisting with him. If he get's any worse I may just sell him, but I'm hoping that if we win the EPL this year he can convinced to stay. 

4 hours ago, samhardy said:

Putting the hideous choice of club to one side, it’s good to see you finally over on the 18 forum and *enjoying* (is that the right word?) the game once again.

Looking forward to following this adventure.

Now that’s out the way, FA Cup success already? Benitez hired and almost fired by Sunderland? 🤢Searching for that delete thread option...

😧 Delete thread option? Actually Sunderland just got promoted. Mid-season, which is unusual for sure and I forgot to get the screenshot, but they're doing really really well. I'm sure you want to see how they go in the Premier League, no need to delete it... 

LOL, they're actually 8th in the Championship and only a few points off the playoffs, so it's not that bad... 

I think the game is too easy at the moment. Probably going to win the EPL this season (unless I do a Keegan). My first save on 2018 was really difficult, I could only get Oxford to about 15th by mid season. My second save (after the app updated) was much easier - Oxford in top place around the same time. This save is going that way too. But I am really enjoying it...

Probably should save this for the next update, but this is the formation I'm using now:

Screenshot_20180716-032924.jpg.9eca5fe057d896e997311765e79507c0.jpg

I wasn't planning on playing two up front at all, but when looking at Mitrovic, he seems liked a good partner: tall and strong, high teamwork, etc and I started wondering if a traditional TM / P partnership might work. I think eventually Pinamonti will be a CF and up front by himself, but this is working for now.