Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Where There's Grot There's Goals - A 1K Challenge

Peely

Hello all. After a break of about four years the World Cup got me back to playing FMM and I thought that the perfect way to get back into the swing of things would be a good old-fashioned 1,000 goal challenge. I'm not intending to do anything fancy in this save, other than making a footballer bash a ball into a net until they're too old to control their own bladder, let alone a football.

Rather than lay out all of the info on the challenge up front, I thought I'd see if anyone wanted to guess the player I've chosen. Some clues:

• He's a powerhouse forward (for his age)
  • He is signed to a Championship club, but starts the season on loan to a club in his home country
  • He's got a fantastic name
  • He comes from the land of edam, tulips and clogs.

I've already played a few seasons so will try to get some updates up in the near future but first, any guesses?

Edited by Peely
4 hours ago, Peely said:

Hello all. After a break of about four years the World Cup got me back to playing FMM and I thought that the perfect way to get back into the swing of things would be a good old-fashioned 1,000 goal challenge. I'm not intending to do anything fancy in this save, other than making a footballer bash a ball into a net until they're too old to control their own bladder, let alone a football.

Rather than lay out all of the info on the challenge up front, I thought I'd see if anyone wanted to guess the player I've chosen. Some clues:

• He's a powerhouse forward (for his age)
  • He is signed to a Championship club, but starts the season on loan to a club in his home country
  • He's got a fantastic name
  • He comes from the land of edam, tulips and clogs.

I've already played a few seasons so will try to get some updates up in the near future but first, any guesses?

YES YES YES YES YES!!! Peely your career is what got me into FMH and the FM series! I am sooo hyped :D

P.S - Origi still has a special spot in my heart still

Edited by Gvicii

Thanks very much for the encouragement and kind words. I'm enjoying being back so far. Origi is always going to be my "special one", but maybe Grot can find a place in my heart, too. 😁

Edited by Peely

Introduction

I was born into one of the most illustrious footballing families in the world. My grandfather started the family obsession with the beautiful game, moving from an entirely forgettable career on the pitch into management. It's fair to say that he was a much better manager than a player and he used to hold me spellbound as a child with tales of his past glories.

My father also started his footballing journey on the pitch, but had a bit more talent than his old man. While never world class, he was a stalwart defensive midfielder and a fixture in the national team, making up for his middling talents with a prodigious work rate and 100% commitment. It was no surprise to anyone when he followed his father into management and it some became apparent that the coaching apple didn't fall far from the tree.

I continued the family tradition, with a bit of help from my father, who brought me through the youth set-up at Sporting. Turned out I was quite a bit better than my forebears when it came to kicking a ball around and I set the ptiches alight, all over Europe at club and international level.

Spoiler

5jYbsIO.png

cx8IV15.png

Now that I'm too old to get involved on the pitch, I've turned my attention to management, like my father and grandfather before me. My family name carries a lot of weight in the world of football and nowhere more than the club where my grandfather started his own managerial career, all those years ago.

Spoiler

MnxWjmVch1ej70H4BqEhgQE3-cow_Si7WySH_bPh

Now I just have to try to live up to the old man's legend.

The Player

I was pretty pleased with the Ajax team, but I wanted to bring in some new blood and put my own mark on the squad. Having been a striker in my playing days, what I really wanted was a youngster that I could take under my wing and develop into a star. I had my eye on someone already - a powerful, hardworking young striker, who was already making a bit of a name for himself, but needed a bit of guidance to help him achieve his true potential:

25ytuzItXcCRZpIo4mNFjKn-KqXgKtnnuD7cDvP2

What a monster and his name is even more ridiculous than my own.

Season 1

220px-Ajax_Amsterdam.svg.png
90269_1504_2016102613495700.jpg

Transfer Activity

While the team was pretty decent, I needed to doa bit of restructuring to suit my tactics and get rid of some dead wood.

Spoiler

mNLPsN61IEslihwEN4y_uT72X-mUT6JdeIeRLGvZ

d7H1zPcxKvPK61Bqj4MPahv4N2Cb73xgN2xBGUdP

A few extraneous strikers and a bit of dead wood out, one young protege and some sturdy defensive types in.

The Season in Review
Spoiler

It wasn't a great start in European competition for me. We got knocked out of the Champions League in the Best Placed Play Off, but I was too traumatised to take a screenshot, it seems.

The Europa League consolation prize got off to a decent start:

CfYzkg5lTrs4q7fWbkgjJFi61Wdkg_bqbFW-wK0O

But we then got knowched out in the first of the knockout rounds (no screenshot again). A poor start, but hopefully it can only improve.

The Dutch Cup

EYsBZCq8v5brCs-1naHHPiq1-WBQDkWd31Iom37y

Another disappointment. The Ajax ans must be starting to wonder if I'm really a worthy successor to my old grandaddy.

The Eredivisie

_5zmdUuHTFa8wkjrVDhMSK6W0slco6-QywyRW0xw

Hooray. Some success at last.

BUu0sjbRCG1GlRoVwS1MGZTDcsX3-mKB42rPBUos

A pretty dominant performance.

Summary

4-ebIx3agTvigoM9G03DsVcgJw-2OR_DKCQuSZkG

The Grot in Review
Spoiler

-CaBJAOOOiovIEjQBC2pUfu9sfmrFPnFEcYH_AC4

A strong start with a goal on his debut.

sidqqOHjId8ZkTExAa33yLAnIeqYYVlwMdQrT_FP

His first hat-trick followed soon after.

wzMKJm-U1RVN3RXVSM3Agrhd8KbtMVPDMo38I_A5

Game of the season for Grot.

jFqbvdj4I4pKlxYQJwOwbnPWzLZ9uFBcdGfbntjg

Some decent development in his stats.

DTZXk7e02D_PioCZVCw5zvDzJG4AhmRh2NT-Bsea

A fantastic performance for his first season. Scoring more than a goal a game is always a good sign.

DTnguPAZwR7syrecROwNP248dLjMeCnJ6zrqcQY1

Team-mate of the Season
Spoiler

nZyPohJAHTab_rb2gsXDVsmKNIYXGc1IVA0GQrX4

beUJl6TIFfDQSK9Zo0sVfQEA056PdhkcfezzLlnM

Younes is an assist machine.

MxrlpnIPYpb6lIfhSx2rlv0LMZDNAYMfW0dwIYNi

He even beat Grot to the Golden Boot.

Me in Review
Spoiler

ayNAGV38AueOw10g7X16BnHhV3VOJbhzDycFksu7

I had to look this one up. An award especially for Belgian football managers.

CriW8wAwoM0kxkBhkXEoKdVzBU0XmZX0u--cW1QT

Nice to have it.

HDFZPSSUkX28t4GVxiV3ogaMsVwAblN6MQkwm6Qg

The board seem reasonably pleased with me.

So a mixed start at club level, but a great showing from Grot. As long as I can keep hold of him, this should be very achievable.

Edited by Peely

That's a great start! More than 1.5 goals per game. This lad is going somewhere (all the way to 1K or more likely 1.5K). And Younes had an incredible season. I'm struggling to find a player who will provide that many assists without scoring too much...

Anyway, fantastic start and can't wait to see the next installment.

Season 2

Introduction

I had made a reasonable start to my career with Ajax last season - nobody's going to complain about winning the league - but was a bit disappointed in my cup form. I'm conscious that I'll probably want to move clubs to further my career (and Grot's) at some point in the future and winning the Eredvisie isn't really going to catch the imagination of the boards at major clubs. On a more positive note, my young protege had made a fantastic start to his time at Ajax and I was confident that he would go on to achieve great things, hopefully with me trailing behind him lapping up all the vicarious enjoyment of his achievements.

Transfer Activity

I carried on my overhaul of the Ajax team, bringing in some promising youngsters and ditching a few of the more mediocre members of the squad.

Spoiler

HTi0aqPvh0gUdJPw-NHUsGf4Z0x8x1wIB3pr6mMX

FffdWn3VA7_zow6EcXZLkB9O4kdwbP-tCGwtG_gH

I suspect that Wallace Silva de Sousa may be Kaka reborn, but I haven't looked into it in details. Ondrej Mazuch was the only older player that I brought in, but he's been a great addition to the squad and a bargain at £2.5 million.

BPRhbfcnl6bslyzT0Dsbl9_T-V7P941Ei0spKN-E

I seem to have lost the top of the transfers out. Clearly some reasonably large sales missing from those shown. Is suspect that the majority of the difference is down to Kaspar Dollberg. A great young player, but a bit surplus to requirements while Grot is around.

The Season in Review

The Johan Cruijff Shield

AKHY_TM_S9s5OWZT-q1bY46ZD_tcIoRF2duGHpqY

A good performance by the team and, in particular, young Mr Grot got the season off to a winning start.

The KNVB Cup

You can generally rely on the KNVB Cup to offer some good scoring opportunities:

M9IJBoVd2TszgQI1Le1I5CAwVsXrJPPSbE05ZaIp

X8fy_WB8VA8Rdm_tA-Y5orhVEDGtR_tN9LNlA0Kl

Unfortunately an embarassing defeat to Feyenoord dumped us out of the competition at the Semi Final stage. Old glass-legs Van Persie showing that he still has it.

The Eredivise

tBjakqiJeJ8Q1c3WzBHSBcTB231_11QOLhqLxyqU

yewGILUpO17x2uojXEEliVC_3upf1eiI2DCn7Pzc

Another reasonably straightforward season.

Europe

Another disappointing season in European comeptition. I got knocked out of the Champions LEague early enough to be put into the Europa League, but I didn't do much better in that competition:

0dx6TFlzOhgGKtn1bzb0jVOZTKt6x2xXBC9Z-dFh

A decent second leg wasn't quite enough to offset the first leg drubbing.

The Grot in Review

After his fine first season, could Grot grow as a player and achieve even more?

ifFv5yv2tUBv1omzXAAETvrf7F59VoRS9sYziuuI

His best match of the season. He must have a foot (and head) like a traction engine!

irJJqE4_YfZMJcs1F8m5oub8DsjnVPHT_QbdWkXZ

Hmm, peaked so soon? Let's see what he looks like.

cMXr78g-IwMZFreM9gbrIfIO8Fk6nbcLb0IeVA6Q

Good growth in his stats. I'm particularly impressed by the improvement in his shooting ability.

P0yqzh9xxIM2tadGpYUO7NaD0wvl75Lef6ZybBKJ

He gets to be the bride, rather than the bridesmaid,this year.

rk28GQSkQpyHaLYgum8VnMEfTtPMEf1ztODXNUo0

Boom! Lovely stuff.

Team-mate of the Season

2s3uX0hpzGxnN-i6YzX-lwtWR-QUTSo5qm-QhDbU

It's that man again.

_ljADfOPjxfwvAM4RW5SJ9bQ-d7En0P8Mw9LOqJx

Not quite as impressive as last year, but I won't complain.

Me in Review

sqTmLo0MCdrjErHBdFKl5M3EnoOYantHSj0pU8OX

Another one of these. Thanks, I suppose.

CddsWRYH1urev-WCFklRJt-8fbS3-fcxYPL8Gwgp

Meh!

oEK9jUtfzEENrY0fG9DIdUzhGV4EKQB5EKmoo99L

w5pxX5WFyRRacncg-zV9U0uEwaa2AbLIWokwqxF0

Another great season for Grot and good progress towards the challenge. I'm still struggling to make progress in Europe and I'm concerned that Grot will start to attract the attention of larger teams if he carries on like this. I either need to achieve great things at Ajax or move on to a bigger club to keep him happy, but I'm not making much progress on either front at the moment. I've also noticed that very few big jobs have become vacant so far.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Any comments are always very welcome.

The Challenge

Goals Scored: 138

Goals Required: 862

Edited by Peely

Gah! managed to mess up the spoilers and I can't work out how to un-pick it with this new-fangled system. It wasn't like this back in the old days of 2014, you know. We wrote our updates with quills back then.

5 minutes ago, Peely said:

Gah! managed to mess up the spoilers and I can't work out how to un-pick it with this new-fangled system. It wasn't like this back in the old days of 2014, you know. We wrote our updates with quills back then.

Faintly remember! Formatting anything took forever due to all the coding! 

wasn’t this the one for spoilers [\spoiler] 

something like that anyway 😂

I wrote that as you used to have to do and hey presto! It still works! 😂 I didn’t write much back then and I think all that coding was the reason why. Thank the lord Putzy upgraded the site to what it is now

Woah....wth!

Had Grot as aback up a few times never thinking he could become as beastly as you have him.

Super goalscoring mate and love the write ups.

Keep em coming and nicely done 😆

Season 3

Introduction

My second season had been marginally more succesful than the first, in that I'd secured some additional silverware in the form of the Johan Cruijff Shield, but minor Dutch domestic trophies weren't going to butter any crumpets when it came to building my reputation. I was glad that Grot had continued to devlop and was showing every sign of becoming a star; I was just a little worried that he may out-grow me if I didn't up my game.

Transfer Activity

I continued to stengthen my squad with a mix of experience and youth.

Spoiler

f6giDuXikpxtJxo2XP8g9Qf8UCgjV2BzaTjN3hm9

FDQq01Zmf0MpZ9KSHcW_4xsRpj0O6r-clwXKcBZP

I'm sure Bernat will be familiar to most of you - he's been one of my favourite wingbacks/midfielders for years - but Daniel Amartey is worth a bit of attention, too. A very talented defensive player who can be trained to play in all sorts of positions. Lerma and Ndong were both great successes in the center of midfield and Penalba is a very talented young regen defender.

O-xebGLtthL03aD_QJbuqd7pjBvTskpn9DfsDRY-

3C9tQG55cFRMTMuHiMW4R7I8KUB6u_tqDkqXb7j8

On their way out - a couple of decent Ajax originals, who just weren't as good as the newer players and moany, lazy Alex Song.

The Season in Review
Spoiler

The Johan Cruijff Shield

G7GGjDYIjZZ90d1FAp9t0LA1-AbFweuWKkKBGYf_

A fantastic vistory with a lot of help from Grot. What a way to start the season.

The KNVB Cup

k7_IYAaRgv9OldXjH9byJtdWIhGlPucnKmUMGveK

The whole of Dordrecht is covered in a thick layer of goal pie.

yZ0dIgQR3aLaTq5WMUVJd6LTgkFoqlowiEvqvagh

Eat my scoring, PSV!

Y2QYKgpawjY7Y57pJg2sA51GekP32nuC-Hl11wOI

The shame! The shame!

The Eredivise

cUYPDDI3rnnzS2OxwJ0WtcMhE5Tk1UZ1XczPE6f-

There were some good games for Grot in the league.

H4mIOFapduavtUjnh0iha3JCNJloqrsycI0-qCon

And what a performance from Mr "Here, let me help you to that goal" Younes.

gaDAXbdWo0aRpMjSokdQ683_-efin5tuszf_8pYD

Zok523njHU4Bl19fTsq4z4cHVuWt691Qw-m9nrlB

Never really much in doubt.

Europe

JcfK3Ph2fjKIGVo-jjtj1C1Tc0-q1VkyIqx-zF1E

Now that's what I call a group of death.

G46CgNMEclvSXtqRga0r4bnLlauOwGxuRTrT1IFO

Yup. Pretty deadly. Not even Europa League consolation for me.

The Grot in Review

Could Mr Grot keep improving after two imense seasons?

Spoiler

FKEnOb7PZkM74wsMk6_estNvwP1MD5GWauHAlKXx

SoZ9kdSDqFWItGQ7IzKnU7sLzpC1JecHAq0taGSK

Some of the big teams had started to notice my star striker and he wasn't too happy at me turning away their advances,

zrHbdz7EF2jGCxXwO8mOYmFavwlkZ_B7Q3QXz-gE

He didn't make a fuss over me turning this offer down, however, so that's mildly encouraging.

E5LYad6UO53R1ieOvnaN_eYgldPKVQY06t4Q--dB

Some modest improvement over last year (although a slight drop in stamina). It seems most of his development is done, but I can't complain.

MFRjs_cjQvc4Na6sG2uWOBeVruPidVhcZ3uT6qO0

Kablammo! Another great season from the Grot-meister general.

Jpq-Lomtc_Oe07XBxq2P2cuyZFQI4CZmzDg_S-Yt

Inevitable.

AydGMQ9HALcj0c2g_g8k1fnWjuk6hWuACzs_QA13

Oh yeah! He's one of the best.

77NvYhhrYX9PV05Fqu04e70FBlIZTf5eSXP_Dvgx

Team-mate of the Season
Spoiler

zoD1Ig6ca7BBtunx59mfn9ajbwdIS4NPo1V_eQek

Who else.

nZewHoEbf4g1zS5OKvjzfsxzxmTysOl_HcGRUETd

Almost an assist per game and a few goals, too.

Me in Review
Spoiler

pa6Av4_BKxclXo3F0bGo7XdAPDLNH5-NluOQFqoj

Predictable.

IzTTNMUwyxMCANjFc_O_82j2ofdI7JjHZvfPbQT5

serxInhQn5Pgs-qTHvkevuODSpad1ph9v8DRRvuX

Still only national reputation. I'll need to work on that.

nvMGZfsY8pEkif3OpXNZ_5kqWiLj9HYkj0IBc1FL

g2GvKS1Mornh8559aZc5gTSt7BxhijBOmQ40zMD6

So another great season for Grot, another mediocre season for me. This is starting to become a bit of habit. I'm a little worried about whether I'll be able to keep hold of Grot if I can't start making more of mark in Europe. As always, encouragement, comments, insults and so forth are always welcome.

The Challenge

Goals Scored: 221

Goals Required: 779