Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Where There's Grot There's Goals - A 1K Challenge

Peely

Smashing this mate! He’s developed really nicely too. Hope you can keep the big guns off his back, unless you plan on moving?

KIU 😁

I'm certainly intending to move at some point, but I need to build my reputation and even then, hardly any big jobs are coming up. I'd hate to fail the challenge because I couldn't hold on to Grot.

Absolutely smashing season!! Curious why you'd want to move though? I'd think goals easier to come by where you are and you'll be building the team into a world class outfit anyway...

1 hour ago, Peely said:

I'm happy enough to stay put. Just worried that Grot will decide he wants to play in a bigger league.

Got you. What I found in 2017 is that if you start winning the Champions Leagues on a regular basis, then your club becomes the biggest in the world and players don't want to leave. When I had Celtic winning the CL regularly there wasn't a player on earth who didn't want to move to Scotland...

Of course that was 2017, so not sure it holds true in 2018. The contract renewal situation in 2018 seems to be much less straightforward than 2017. In 2017 you just offered them more cash, up to the max and they'd accept. In 2018, they don't always accept, as Foxy found out in his Teutonic Treble career - but then he just bought the player right back. 

Anyway, thanks for explaining. I'm a bit stuck in a 2017 mindset at times. I didn't even think to load a secondary league in my 1KC!

Season 4

220px-Ajax_Amsterdam.svg.png
90269_1504_2016102613495700.jpg

Introduction

Grot just seems to keep getting better and better, but my joy at his perfomances was temperred by my disappointment at another very poor showing in Europe. Hopefully we could improve on the trophy front this season.

Transfer Activity

Spoiler

ocFtakHvNt0x9O-UX-rZAtSYQtWwFoEQPXjh0LYn

PUciS-26IM3W1MTO30fG1TrXrONI9zdW_PHureZQ

I forgot to do separate in and out transfer screenshots this season, but the highlights were three very good free signings and the big money going on a new goalie. Onana, my regular goalie looked decent, but had been turning in some shocking performances, so I decided I needed to splash a bit of money on the problem.

The transfers out were just players who didn't really make the grade.

The Season in Review
Spoiler

The Johan Cruijff Shield

tEg1MWqX6xmxX8FV7N5gOMJNOb7vGWrvpgOXKNv0

Another solid, Grot-inspired victory in the Shield.

The KNVB Cup

CRW-b-ut56TKmjWeOkUweZX069zD8jsZWLlOvfVq

Finally! A win by the finest of margins against a club that I should have walloped, though.

The Eredivise

2qyU3PFVbCk6c-Tlsg3o_BWwkoxkzT6a1FruRw6W

szZZqn-DmEGAsM96ac6jzNhWMkchkdCivtrkDkzb

No surprise here.

Europe

TabQJ_8K7y_WZLQgdgggDciEE-6unh16dYyX-sIX

A somewhat more forgiving group this time.

nvKYbGiXzBDIqwiHZgQyMjQYsq9IDmCNBr9yXiOg

Gah! Curse my ill-disciplined and fragile central defenders.

The Grot in Review

Could Grot carry on his upward march to greatness? Could I hold on to him?

Spoiler

N8vxZeFzTfj0-WcF0Jb9Zf1L5d3pjC74gNH_hNjC

That's an improvement, At least he wants a contract. He accepted, so I should have him for at least five more years.

mUEsp2cQoG2rMUhJ7G0zOUsGr5FHes3jZ6_-sbtS

Some slight improvements over last year.

oH-LHh8x3F9b1kgMk5r0FjswO4AcdoFQ0gWDG70m

A bit of a slip inform, but still pretty impressive.

DTxPlZsVEbAjV53oMW2H60t2otVzYAAfYtnBWUVY

Well deserved.

rgfDCqBBTNdSuKgINY1m3CKsCpcB47Y9WIWoUJWH

Still one of the best.

DSnow-g4RXkcSTTdpAcMUQpbDDjjnmV0UjJDJoT8

Team-mate of the Season
Spoiler

7QxI8pGLKk5VdcB9BvP4ZFrDJoUwfkvx2DPOiIpA

Still Mr Assist.

5NrJ-W8l58OpvTD9wP_MTK-aZ8Y7kGKoC5qqMAhO

But a massive drop in the number that he provided. Perhaps this is the reasonthat Grot didn't do quite as well.

Me in Review
Spoiler

8GeXKv0Rn3YWFrFAb8g-O55UG9R9H4D6VNS5O38U

Blah blah, Raymond Goethals Trophy.

GBCBAQRaJSlcHrDi4ok7cjbaMyZ5KoVwje8X2Vm3

Z1AaZ95XeYAdr3r2LdlB8HzxjBMINzdDSOdbTf8_

Continental! That's a step inthe right direction.

hg-B6NQHln4tu7tEOK-4bHCW3SE5RAzqBhUpXCPs

A bit of a down-turn in form from Grot,but pretty minor in the grand scheme of things and he's still well on track for the big 1K. I was glad to tie him to the club for another five years - if nothing else it gives me time to achieve some great things and make Ajax a more attractive home for his ever expanding head. It was good to finally win the KNVB Cup, even if it did cost me most of the little hair I have remaining. Now I just need to crack that pesky European stuff.

The Challenge

Goals Scored: 293

Goals Required: 707

He's a beast, shame he dropped off slightly but still well in track. I'm still not used to you using young strikers though 😛

Solid season, despite the slight drop. Going to kick on on from here, I'm sure! Shame about the CL though - that game could have easily gone your way if you hadn't gone down to 10 men. Still, there's always next year!

8 hours ago, scratch99 said:

Solid season, despite the slight drop. Going to kick on on from here, I'm sure! Shame about the CL though - that game could have easily gone your way if you hadn't gone down to 10 men. Still, there's always next year!

Yeah, I'm not overly concerned that Grot's scoring has dropped off slightly - it's still high enough. Europe has been a bit of a tough nut to crack for me in this career. I generally do better, quicker but it's probably due to me still getting to grips with the tweaked tactical system. The tactics good enough to crush the league, but not quite consistent or strong enough to beat the best in Europe. A bit of experimentation and tweaking should sort it out.

Season 5

Introduction

My fifth season at Ajax and my main goal was to improve our performances in Europe. Not only would it Give Grot even more chnace to score, but it might convince him that Ajax was the sort of club that a young fotballing star could go places with. If not it would, at least make my chance of moving onto a top club a bit greater.

Transfer Activity

Spoiler

ux0cvC83VLVQBljT1QQrWh9nU-0Yj9mF7HgnN7Pe

I spent a bit of money on bringing in some more quality, experienced players, along with some potentially interesting youngsters, who headed of to Jong Ajax to prove their worth. I was pleased to get Filip Kostic at the bargain price of free. While he's not going to be my first choice on the wing, he's provides some quality backup for Younes.

TtVtWmsiaWkQycLLQAS47VphvRpSQ7Eqj8LAi3eQ

On their way out, a bunch of players who hadn't made the grade and were out of contract and Bebe, who had been a useful member of the team, but was getting a little long in the tooth. I figured it was probably my last chance to get a decent amount of money for him and he wasn't really needed with Kostic and Martins joining the squad.

The Season in Review
Spoiler

The Johan Cruijff Shield

L6Mx6S5kRoHJS-731xf79eAiZ8acPmZ1jv2tsPRV

No need to change my comment from last year - Another solid, Grot-inspired victory in the Shield.

The KNVB Cup

ewGjnf5MJN0WDX2QMAA5NF7dU6iGIploOPVQP7_w

A disastrous early exit to a bunch of nobodies.

The Eredivise

hYe_RtrkdOr0U6erVapTLAp6P9ytLqblFwvG5JWC

ebPzRLLgbbT4TK1V2Z1bHfyVJpmRS04HnYgd1doF

Winning the league was never in doubt, but a much less convincing record than last year.

Europe

I8CWC9DT98ONsAov1gZzoxM6MvY0wBARjnRlLWRQ

Another group of death.

daGnQCQIc9SGtnncS9qGW4bEtCYeRUaV4bciaC1R

But I somehow managed to top it. Could this be our year?

frI1pJLphAmzON2pishJFGa4g4wctXvIg5x-oNSn

No. A creditable draw away to Manchester United was followed up by a disappointing loss. We couldn't score and our Goalie was being less than impressive.

The Grot in Review

Grot slumped a little last year, but could he step back up a notch?

Spoiler

g4TEQ3kgny-e2GGvvDYluVwOi0z_mF_ejH1l5B4n

Q1ss8KZigODUMKzoBNK8Q2wTicMNi3C1-QQlsISv

He had a few quality games, although I'm not sure I'm happy with him getting twice as many assists as goals in a match.

B3zbrYx24-xTHIXf8qStq8rbbjSlDDoBRN4RF2AJ

My physios tell me he's very rarely injured, but not imune, it seems. Fortunately this was only three matches or so from the ned of the season, so he didn't miss much.

HzeAz2iPccf1yWWdM8zq22_VRlp_h04_D6UkYv_7

Improvements to tackling, decisions, movement and positioning. That'll be due to me having him on defensive training (alongside attacking) to try to boost his aerial skills a bit. It doesn't seem tobe working, since he hasn't moved from 15 for years.

XHTlkDabcgN2PNQR90IqiHVZNBCABP3arn_CaGHR

Another slight drop. He should be closing in on his prime, not going backwards.

mz7D5tjSl7FLGPWG3GFHm6ON1upuDcGOzWxL-Iv8

Of course.

YFmVMqiIbjaOdNrMCj3GDNzBNlNHYueEAZ78WF6o

d4lo6bW-3JCgBeBdiCu-Bx5cuaTjac3-QClJUx-1

He's in exalted company.

Team-mate of the Season
Spoiler

5ioJuVIo6EOyXzcibMtMMkSme38dV4TQb6DYMo6k

Who else?

iYEbBV8yCSZUkO04344RGJCxSiMDAh0CKK9L-EBNNot quite back Not quite back to his best, but still a nice improvement over the previous year.

Me in Review
Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7d0688c37960613c007177b16421c1b7.png

No comment needed.

CvdVADgQ3Y02nzuJL7yFkMhxfpBuOrBQhFGtB9PC

UZTn76fAFsmrJ6xiHs8CpDjTIuZHCgr9hvMoqygI

Dropped from 13th to 14th, but still looking okay,

n80IoKsyTtgPdwvI2Ntc5L0NW1_hQfXOqeH-P-J6

8yU19UAqEm-BVzSQsoEspNmDKih4b1tBa_3iUYca

Still struggling in Europe, Grot's scoring still on the slide, but still plenty of time to go. I was encouraged to be able to give the likes of Bayern a sound thrashing and I hope that it bodes well for next season.

The Challenge

Goals Scored: 362

Goals Required: 638
Edited by Peely

I feel like you're close to a breakout season where you'll just get that bit of luck you need to make it further in Europe and where our man Grot will bounce back to the 80s (goals, not the decade). But even if that doesn't happen next season, you're still in pretty good shape. Go Grot!!!

Season 6

ajax-logo-jpg.3156

Introduction

Moving into my sixth season at Ajax everything was ticking along reasonably well, but not spectacularly. The fans weren't complaining with dominance in the Eredivise and the occasional domestic trophy and nobody really expected Ajax to be puching for European silverware, but nobody ever made a name for themselves by consistently meeting expectations.

Transfer Activity
Spoiler

gksZ5mqC00N2nvMxLP5_v3hrDcjx8gwRID0_2pUl

E0AR29M1Rml1L8MuSTR7r-7qXxBRAZFsfWA2iIvZ

A big season for transfers in. Mainly super-promising youngsters, but a bit of exerience as well, with Lemos, Hojbjerg and the bargain of the season - Denis Zakaria on a free.

qBJV56iWBGgc9XK9a-2n1cl1Rh3hUfFskgHKL3QU

On their way out, a couple of stars that had got too big for their boots and thought that they needed to leave and a bunch of failed youngsters.

The Season in Review
Spoiler

The Johan Cruijff Shield

UOF0z44yE0j3wg6HMOIbf9XI-uKt9McuSji4qNSB

Another easy win in the Shield. Less Grot-heavy this time, though.

The KNVB Cup

IuQMG3-qDjpoc9Mn8u6rx5efHLdmTO2WsDoDDVtL

emdppQCUGuAIQX3VWxxJHXwz7P48ya-bsUf4Ajo0

A couple of good matches in the Cup for Mr G.

PgQSDL3lQxlG8xy1YFKJT0JgkB1N6Zb0sR96tix3

And victory in the final. Boom!

The Eredivise

QYZUb1DVaaPxZXpaRa2v6zlnSRx-grtDBlsHOFS-

I seem to have forgotten to take a shot of the final league table, but another dominant season.

Europe

3tORJWnodPrIxRaPoccl185xsBA3fQurZht-loNt

A reasonable group and fairly comfortable qualification to the next round.

We faced Chelsea, Manchester City and Juventus in the next three rounds and managed to defeat them all, with only Manchester City giving us a real run for our money. We were thorugh to the final, but had to face-off against the might of Barcelona. Could this be our year at last?

WDpx_nVC7GgynI_MB-YRXjgtW-fBtXszv1S1Q2ix

Championnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnns! No goal from Grot in the final, but I believe he still managed to come out of it as man of the match.

W4P1tM6evHOInVYwdHZwZwrmeHC6JZcF_Sg_wH6G

The Grot in Review

Would Grot continue the slow decline, or could he pick up his game again?

Spoiler

P6C1aM9sieB4ovUncioxct_jfqb2_Tn17jDROAkP

Ungrateful whelp.

u1N1FUZkJqNXlyD4OhJQCJ_fw7WcZKra0b2ojsPx

No, no, no. Mr Grot is not for sale. Good day to you sir. I said, good day to you sir!

IKEY889LCPHLUX2IFaCeNBUW8HjLOZWgTS-7oMLn

Oh dear.

E48MZKrg4EuY_YWQ3TjrVWzZbonGbs-YfhT8qLtu

Drops in creativity, pace and stamina. Lazy as well as disloyal?

DIpXTF2BB7QjEcRJkoQKT88DvwR2jny4oA7cIs32

Six fewer goals, despite ten more games. Not so good, Grotty.

oWAaC8dZC-Avr85zfXKnMR1nueCV8HdQ97VPTQGW

Still enough to get the shiny metal footwear.

j3klL8wR09PIgJnGd2FOpmHCfnBWBqGR-iT0vtRl

And still considered one of the best in the world.

Team-mate of the Season
Spoiler

oER9zWveY2NWHv2Vgcs-rH2jIdRPLwyfsRJ-Woe1

Still the top source of goals.

zYTi1xu4yllSY-Y_lDDNJsOUIrSqK0Mm8LLVBKuN

But not really hitting the highs.

Me in Review
Spoiler

RDI0OWnEi4nQXoKkTb4Me-nFfi7-wXbCqkINDEib

ju7U0bSDMXjCPgM56dGml5hRoMutkGeh2OAxzawq

Ooh! That's nice.

dknKKu95mpOYrbiGUXgh-lUJmUBe64wNcI1PHTUY

Clean sweep.

3oN0luDKYMxR81XxC-Wa4FHHDj2SusVbsJIx3epn

World Class and into the top ten managers.

NLmoYfHMmgYzMxTYrBSa8t94IB_hFfq2MI60HklS

Happy board.

qnCWhQUOpjONex6_cP00O1sD8bv7_nECVipWDqPF

A great season for me and the team, but a troubling one for Grot - continuing the slide in goals scored, stats dropping a little and clamouring for a move. I'm somehwat hopeful that the Champions League success will help persuade him that Ajax is worth sticking with, but at least my personal successes mean that I'm more likely to be able to move to a club that can fulfil his demands for a more high-profile home.

Closing in on the half-way point in terms of goals scored, I'm still quite confident that Grot will be able to achieve the 1K, but it doesn't look like a foregone conclusion, by any means.

As always, I'd welcome any comments, observations or encouragement.

The Challenge

Goals Scored: 425

Goals Required: 575
Edited by Peely

There is so much drama in this season! I'm interested to see if you can convince him to stay or if you gamble and see if he can make the step up in a bigger league, then again even signing him could be tough with the new irritating bidding wars. Out of interest what leagues you got loaded? 

Unfortunately I haven't got the greatest selection: Netherlands, Belgium, England and Spain. 

Belgium was there because I was originally looking at a Belgian player for the 1K challenge, but ended up choosing Grot instead. I've got a soft spot for the English leagues, but not such a great choice these days with the post-brexit work permit nonsense. Spain is likely to be my destination if I move, but only one major Spanish job has come up so far and it was too early to move at that point. 

Fingers crossed it all comes together in the end. 

Season 7

ajax-logo-jpg.3156

Introduction

I went into season seven riding high on the crest of a great big Champions League wave, but with one eye on the murky depths beneath, where I feared a nasty shark called "Grot's Ambition" was waiting to bite me in the rear end. I wasn't the only one that was finding Grot's histrionics a little trying:

Spoiler

gmVwHYEBJthgPpDU8qSR_t9PEOxv6vlFFN_hclMT

Sw8GH6nDLgePGTy7H2swpXk3yucVBGyRA8vjkOki

Can't say I blame them.

Transfer Activity
Spoiler

3_dydhWQiVwLSy17SmHRrAkd-3Ub8n5kZS5kUH2x

Some big names coming in for free at the end of the season - Kimmich and Bentancur. The rest fall into the promising youngster category, except for Udokhai, who added some depth in the middle of defence.

Hp_aYU8G4EJfUyOCqn78YqxfZe5_8TxtlGqp6LOZ

Cashing in on a couple of old guys and one or two players heading off at the end of their contract. I would have liked to have kept Gbamin, but he didn't want to sign a new contract. Maybe Grot drove him away.

The Season in Review

A few new competitions to play in, thanks to the Champions League win. How exciting,

Spoiler

The Johan Cruijff Shield

znDGhrW1z-2Ipl4dwoY_VNaVLaJBknPiJzYt4U11

Not my usual steamroller job, but a win's a win.

UEFA Super Cup

AYL-ShIH224ILP8w1IyHfjlry8ZLKvf6Qti_KYJW

Cementing our place as best in Europe.

The KNVB Cup

Plenty of goals to be had in the KNVB, as per usual:

xz4yydPCnKVapqbFufhRPTrXgeoqNWGnZWXNIVpJ

x4eiNB0NJfY_fRxZDDX5B2nPT4QE2v1wyWJy8A3W

That's 1.1% of the challenge completed in a single match.

bTXTHruo4QNS94Uj-EaAvMd2T4iGVldgPu7yiMYc

A very comfortable win in the final.

The World Club Cup

PtZaQE_r0i1whTE3tjv3v5-k04G_GvMFGJoCv965

Best in the World!

The Eredivisie

-Bx7KnEQzOynDQCjTf0bPhKd7aOwVsO0L9FtrCWN

-SfSJxbzv-ajWoBvGaSkwlzZkLthxFeonT4X82SG

Undefeated in the League.

The Champions League

68SBd4sBJJzznMlK2XsoFSCsGDa28JXOweKrDR6r

Some frustrating results in the group stage.

gZqz-Mh7rnH8Wox1OGAwILjuQW5GJonZg7i-_G88

A win, but two penalty misses from Grot. That's not good.

SQ1rpyYKA1iWLSvRWtQRpRRP4-otl3A_k1DOmzP3

A couple of disappointing results meant we only managed second place in the group, but at least we were through.

We faced the other great Spanish club in the final this time. Could we overcome the might of Real Madrid?

ZEF_93wBWQByTf6b1BXQJQpLvimKEaeX4qq6etOJ

Oh yes. No goals from Grot, though.

The Grot in Review

Could the increasingly stroppy striker halt his slide from previous years? Would he even still be at the club by the end of the season?

Spoiler

MbrpkLLpk35f4uBi5ScTP_bVj-H7wLgnsgOSeqOp

Well that's a relief. For me, I mean. Everyone else in the team hates his guts :P

i8L4zsCcLnDmdYFHGMe-1chYDG88EhzASFBcscbK

Some serious slippage in his attributes, What could be the problem?

kijt3fNEzwNdwZJmDR8E3MM_qWLbraTFSe3WBkWL

At least he's picked up a little on the scoring front, but not really great for a player hitting his prime.

XkNNIyvbKmeWRHef3AJY_YU4gjCe_XewAcCXHdmQ

Damn and blast. That explains the dip in stats and his absence from the Champions League final. This really is the last thing I needed.

b-3qSM3iVK3AtumDDmZZMBkcVf8z2m7Y9gqLj-fo

He'd done enough before his leg exploded to keep hold of the boot.

Team-mate of the Season

It's the Amin Younes update slot!

Spoiler

lDRT9WoAUVuvUKr3HJPJZFIPqTC1JBbgGJ0BFtdx

You're not Amin Younes!

kPgItzISddJ5dwDer8YPpdmEGWju839h6Plj_TSB

Ooh! Nice work, though.

8D1A5n3tZdXk-WyA7l7K2Nm0IVWxkmr5C1ymXxLb

He even displaced Grot in the World Best XI

Me in Review
Spoiler

sPbQKeoJAkhLZ7KZXFOA5kQLFQ05kMYnbyhZKx3O

RIC5y-cdO_K1NothobKBGEAgvHqHoZZABNQnwayN

The cleanest of clean sweeps.

VEJtE5p3bUGyS8F_mN01vw0LrYGGMnQf7P_UyGCf

dTwUF8Df3glJTpHHzRoHRxdZuCDIOUhzE7LGjW22

Club News

A new item for this season only.

Spoiler

Bs9cUI5sVikFNKeX0MpyXQ1_HQUqj870v7uRKtEJ

Very interesting. What could I possibly call it?

5t-1R3NhbVTpsD7FpE6EV2ZKZeftk70ixg_Tu7Tv

I'm not an ego-maniac. I decided to name it after my old Grandaddy, who's an Ajax legend in his own right.

oBzaLjPWM1W8BLjunTCpQtEgGWTEvG5Hafh_wUDJ

I pondered this one long and hard. Inviting a sugar daddy to the party could make things a littlle bit too easy at club level. On the other hand, the extra money and boost to the club's reputation might be vital in keeping Grot in Amsterdam.

yzD5tmluRaVwdnHzHfWvLzWysAS2J8guQTFw1c0C

£350 million? That's just ridiculous. I have very mixed feelings about this, but with no big jobs coming up I needed to make Ajax as atrractive as possible to the big, moany goal-hanger. I was "rewarded" almost instantly by him breaking his leg.

So, a rollercoaster of a season with triumphs in every competiton, but tragedy for Grot and his fragile little leg. Next season is going to be largely Grot-free and I just hope that he can recover fully from the long lay-off and it doesn't ravage his attributes too badly. I'm still hopeful that I can complete the challenge, but it will rely on him staying fit in future and getting back to his best as soon as possible. The physios tell me he's very rarely injured and that has been true, up until now.

The Challenge

Goals Scored: 491

Goals Required: 509
Edited by Peely

I think he'll need all the luck he can get. By the time he's back on the pitch he'll be 27, which should be his peak time for goal-scoring, so if he doesn't get back into the swing of things quickly the challenge could really go off the rails.

I wonder how long I'll be able to keep him playing for. Players seem to be a bit quicker to retire this time round, but I'm hoping that, given his good physical stats and plenty of gametime, he'll stick around well into his mid to late 30s at least.

Oh man... That's unlucky... :( Still time for him though I think. 

Congrats on the two CL wins. That will be a big help in keeping him and attracting other players. You might need that sugar daddy money to replace the whole team if they all hate him! Does he have the status of Outcast in the new Happiness view (in the Detailed squad views)?

I haven't checked, but it only seems to be a handful of players that really dislike him at the moment. If he can stop mouthing off for a bit about how much he'd like to move to a bigger team he might make some friends.

Just about to head off camping, so internet access and time to myself are going to be distant dreams for the next week. I should be able to do an update or two when I get back. 

Season 8

yQmDJczSA19c3Q5WgjtIQC5TBfondeaRZSTfJiNJ

Introduction

The last season had been great for the club, but decidedly less so for my favourite talented-but-moany goal-botherer. Grot was going to be out for the majority of the season, so Ajax would have to get by without it's main source of goals. Fortunately we weren't short of able understudies, with a couple of world class forwards who had, until now, being plying their trade on the wings. Suffice to say I wasn't worried on the goal-scoring front, but I was definitely concerned about the effect that such a long lay-off would have on Grot and his march to greatness.

Transfer Activity

Spoiler

U1KPti-y-AuJpIcakAXKOr9tr54EzhKK0aQR6fhv

A couple of big-money signings to strengthen the squad, along with a few cheap, but promising youngsters and two amazing freebies.

zlzXElSOaYE9KAa2O9ERFLqm3v230qV9kf0twIcn

The loss of Bernat was a huge blow - he's one of my favourite players and had been doing brilliantly for me. Unfortunately he refused all offers of a new contract and headed off to Merseyside.

The Season in Review
Spoiler

The Johan Cruijff Shield

GqWqvAwvBotm_0d-oAfjtbPRuB5yJgr7MUHkjxMh

My dominance in the Shield continued, albeit with no Grot involvement. Guzzo bears a striking resemblance to a certain Mr C Ronaldo, but with the stamina of an asthmatic, 40 stone octogenarian.

The UEFA Super Cup

rpybaQJ9HYp-NwmjNU5sB3usFC0rpFAR-M_RCBrr

Another Super trophy. I haven't really looked into who Perez might be the reincarnation of. Possibly Aguero...

FIFA Club World Cup

aHCb1CBtutQQQKzu1Y912VK3n3-g8S19plI41M2r

More shinies.

The KNVB Cup

Q4RlA_oPOzkztKpWVyeRwk9bricBZu5L9Zhl6CWV

Another KNVB Cup victory and look who's back and firing on all cylinders.

The Eredivise

Gu_Jws3GFzlB1_O7h_xdllhDblLWCWhmOAR389C4

2AwTpbrBlcS6qFGlPWbp9YS3p982BCO2DrYjF6kW

So close to perfection.

Europe

vKbOKLTDdjfAYhLbTByB-L4h17aL7DcK2gLjfXxv

A perfect record in a fairly easy group.

GQswfZB78343L5-eZUmsROQE5t8UmfwLKlVPMEGo

But a shameful exit in the next stage.

The Grot in Review

He was out for over half the season and came back bearing the marks of a long lay-off. Could he salvage anything from the remains of the season?

Spoiler

3To-ZDhnXpaWIXzMYSAY_l7Jm7E0oOPXYsUO2IuV

This is how he looked when he returned to the squad. A shadow of his former self. Just look at that technique!

UtIBgB1eqbImbdmKQ-elhS2ega70SGzscZFWOaRh

It didn't take him long to get back into the swing of things, though.

Mct34ynOw42nBRO1EayymJOU1uYjWInCtky6JSOv

Much improved by the end of the season and more or less back to his best in terms of attributes.

7HFRP_MBokEfHbw_jvAV1EncEqctIAaDc1dAyq74

An amazing tally, all things considered. At least his injury hasn't dulled his scoring ability.

Team-mate of the Season

Most of the assists didn't go Grot's way, of course, but one player stood out above the rest.

Spoiler

vrbizgZb7kXicfGIYDoL0i8aQ-eW_gyX_HMOxWYE

Uht76UTYCkNrFymLwjBxFDgbkVXat2w0MHR-6BlX

Nice.

Me in Review
Spoiler

w5k0cEnPRyDFvm8BOSQNzuTkGbTePCNKB8cwSASV

x7D2OZokYgH9q3xckVqSdFEYAiwRMOE5qs5EW1uR

Shame about the Champions League, but a fantastic season otherwise. I'll miss the World Club Cup next season - always such a great source of a few additonal goals.

S07TyBv2rG3KiG3kQbMPPM7IgfIFmAJcGeY6l4od

WvgsJcG7KEo0-Co14Rtg85_s_ZIYFjX7zzx5GHMT

Honestly, moaning about the handful of young players I signed for a pittance, despite all the big names I brought in.

What could ahve been a disastrous season for the challenge was saved, somewhat by Grot's explosive return. While it definitely didn't look like 1,000 goals was going to be easy to achieve, it was, at least, still looking possible. However, there were storm clouds on the horizon:

Spoiler

yrreku-iSghOR2rBheigkCZkIfc2Fye3goP8FiQs

Oh scruttocks!

Looks like I need to find a solution to this little problem before Mr Grot's contract expires.

The Challenge

Goals Scored: 532

Goals Required: 468
Edited by Peely

Fantastic result for Jay-Roy given the circumstances. Great ratio! Hope he kicks on next season in similar form.

The request to leave is my biggest worry in 2018 to be honest. Somewhere up yonder I said "just win more CLs and he'll want to stay", but since then I've realised that's much easier to say than do in 2018. I know someone else (maybe Foxy maybe Nucleus) lost their striker and bought them back, so there's always that (or moving to another club).

Anyway, hope you get his head straight and his boots firing. :)

Thanks for the encouragement :)

The "wants a new challenge" is probably the worst reason for a request to leave, since it's unlikely that I'll be able to change his mind by throwing money at him or the club being super successful. I think I need to move somewhere big enough, rich enough and exciting enough to cure his hunger for change.

If only a REALy big job would come up...

Spoiler

lUIIIUv8FpMM049t7RMPV4GUqC4BtmXhsF60Fc97

Ooh!

eAbsGB2LzTcniK8TxNQlzB1DJ5XiE_eZKR7qk_Hi

Aah!

Dear, sweet god! I just spent an absolute age writing out an update and the whole thing got wiped when I hit save! Can't face writing it all up again tonight, so it will have to wait for another day.

Edited by Peely
22 minutes ago, Peely said:

Dear, sweet god! I just spent an absolute age writing out an update and the whole thing got wiped when I hit save! Can't face writing it all up again tonight, so it will have to wait for another day.

I know that feeling too well! Took me a week to write mine all up again 😂