Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Where There's Grot There's Goals - A 1K Challenge

Peely

15 hours ago, Peely said:

Dear, sweet god! I just spent an absolute age writing out an update and the whole thing got wiped when I hit save! Can't face writing it all up again tonight, so it will have to wait for another day.

That sucks, sorry to hear that... 🙁 To be honest, I've been burnt before too, so now I write my update locally then just paste it in. 

Season 9

qaT6y-CIHHZOj374orJBkgbuYogVn0t1OQ-011AJ

ijNqziqwnZqre7LhcgWErJB4Cq0tB3-UTGHPR2t_

Introduction

I’d got the big job I’d been looking for – arguably the biggest job in football. It was a bit of a departure from the path my father and grandfather had taken – both had chosen to manage on the red side of Madrid – but who wants to live in their forbears’ shadows all of their life?

It was quite a daunting prospect to be faced with the extremely high expectations of Real Madrid's legion of fans; expectations that my predecessor had failed to live up to:

Spoiler

0s1TKpXjNsZkkebdtypRM1xG3EX-kH0cjAK-Sid4

Shameful.

The team that I inherited was a bit of a mess. While there were some excellent players, most of those were nearing the end of their career and the squad was bloated with no-hopers. The backroom staff weren't that impressive either:

Spoiler

vVH2pZJTYFEqer9QJKNz91KWPqLYzfKhJDtcCHaE

Quite a bit of work to be done, all in all, but it's no fun if everything's perfect and you can't make your own mark on the team.

Transfer Activity

There was one very important piece of business to get out of the way quickly:

Spoiler

45JNKBKWS4xKbp4PyjHowQqocmaOORdJVUAjxf1r

XIoPHjS4GEL3qYuGwuOJ-r3GYpT6g13sehKox36-

I'm glad to see they appreciate his talents.

The rest of my transfer dealings involved getting rid of as much of the chaff as possible, while bringing in some quality replacements:

Spoiler

R8w42N_KX2zZiNPYaj1js1siulBgwkh_f_3oUmsw

kYT9SOXqPnJbcYEl1camQ_wQovu6muI9ktEeeh__

Quite a few Ajax players came across to join Grot, as you might expect, along with a few, cheaper signings who looked like they might be of use.

S5teyUU2e14nvMwGjjsiBREZ-NPzzVPFEMa9gV5h

meTbaip4kuFMt3Q6oQAoll4sI2-9LMJ2IYiS3qTO

Nothing very notable going out the door.

The Season in Review

I was hoping that both Grot and I could make a big impression in our first year at the Bernabeu, but I wasn't sure that the team was quite up to the job, just yet. Given my predecessor's woeful performance in the previous season, there weren't too many competitions that we were in the running for.

Spoiler

Copa del Rey

uWTHmoTiwyVRrbD6-IhvGCoLhY6XnCKXmgWoe8-3

A pretty shoddy performance over two legs saw us duck out of the Copa del Rey at a rather early stage.

La Liga

We started quitewell in the league and had a comfortable lead by the start of the new year, but we suffered a bit of a slump in form over January and February, which saw our rivals closing in:

Er2opNMAAxUXdzKEmIPjM8jxicu3cPmF-YyD4esu

We managed to up our game again, but another period of patchy results towards the end of the season made for a very tight finish:

gu37qAwzFMsj_XauEXr3Y2Opupn5--MiqbugTUD-

h0tBdOk7pgvdk9o9ns2lAlW3ZUAcpOASYX9pkxTV

The closest squeak I have ever seen. We only won because the Spanish League looks at head to head performance before goal difference and we had lost to Barcelona once and beaten them once, just by a slightly larger margin.

Europe

Only the Europa league for us this season, but perhaps that gave us a chance to get some slightly easier European silverware on the shelf. We got through the group without any trouble and faced Monaco in the first knockout round. A 2:0 home victory set us up nicely to move on to the next stage:

JWUWoipnlUoBW99E37x6tR0Btff0bnZ8qb9_2C9A

Oh fiddlesticks! A shocking performance from our goalie, paired with a striker who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, saw us dumped out of the competition.

The Grot in Review

Of course, the biggest question was could Grot, used to the easy goals of the Eredivisie, make the leap up to La Liga and keep on scoring at a decent rate. If not, he wouldn't be the first highly-fancied player who had flopped in Spain:

Spoiler

y-wmFxQ4pZbckk85Hsa9dSqpSRTk3m618d2vZ9t6

Grot wasted no time in getting the goal train started.

TYKbN9LiwFRACbNR5sa55QwS44X9DPvOqxTdEnrW

He remembered to pack his scoring boots for at least some of our European adventures.

GNi-hUnx_4PyWZCfGONjlhMk3FuY7fOQtauzVoUk

And the warm weather in Spain seemed to suit him well. Amazing attribute growth in almost every area. Grot looks like a real beast, now.

XJXcuc-73vY49in6_h9bCM-eSysfVIbUJKavyD2X

Not a bad performance for his first season in a new and harder league, but he's definitely not making this challenge look easy.

2rFDIymxchNnH5RLJrxhmYrpdYVytjUm4mTL_yJX

Still one of the best on the world and he brought a few of his team-mates along for the ride.

SJB_h9tWUVQZgA3XzgcywakcjLgYYM2mr-G0CRIn

And Real Madrid dominated the La Liga team of the season.

Team-mate of the Season

Spoiler

R9DtVpEOay0wiYlDVvUWtHZI6moMtIQFyqbiZYlk

Carrying on where he left off at Ajax. Santana was also growing nicely under the sun of his home country.

jEeuIYybRbTtXM7DVEeDh2I8hpJdspCEV-nCZzqe

Not amazing, but pretty decent.

Cnnfq9QB-As6AuYTdKgortLujE0Nwln58jKnQgCy

Me in Review
Spoiler

boG4cWl9UEGTd4nuJjWKZKo0AYP6HvSLP14pvAUp

I'm starting to believe that there are no other Belgian managers in the game.

uK0RFEJLDv2nBNhumMwaejWezygvsH7cVmwN2l9x

Pretty poor.

-ZhEUreTdd4fceXL0Oj5AytmyGXv5sNuRD-fhE6v

Acfyd3SA1t9jLt5HImWHXcRRFdbJr26ST_URwkhn

Quite a bit of maoning in the ranks. Several players were telling me I'd treated them unfairly from the day I arrived. I can only assume that I have a doppelganger who goes around giving wedgies to highly strung footballers.

v7plUBvyv9xIVf3oig7tBPQk_wWQWWG4rUg3uMgH

pswceP40RtJRWWW_akfNBPn5REMOpmjL1TUpUifu

Not sure I really deserved this, but I'll take it.

Grot and I had a pretty so-so start to our careers at Real Madrid, but at least the board and fans seemed happy enough and I was starting to build the team into something capable of challenging for the big shinies. Grot seemed to be stuck at around the 60 goal per season mark, which is hardly terrible, but it does mean that this challenge isn't going to be over any time soon. I was also very much aware that Grot was starting to close in on the dreaded thirties, when stats start to drop, bellys start to grow and hair starts its migration from the top of the head to the ears and nostrils. This one might turn into a race against Father Time.

The Challenge

Goals Scored: 593

Goals Required: 407

Great working turning around that club which seemed to have been in a period of massive decline. Another good season for Grot too - I'd expect those numbers to go up as you settle the team around him. But...

What's up with that attribute burst? Amazing! Is it better training facilities? Better coaches? I presume both would have been pretty good at Ajax. Could it just be the size of the club (reputation or stadium size)? Or .... did we just witness one of these evogen miracles that Marc Vaughan mentioned on Facebook (as discussed in the How Deep Do Regens Go article)?

It was certainly a surprise. The facilities are top level, but so are Ajax's, and the coaches are slightly worse, if anything. It could be an evogen thing, I suppose.

Actually, I think this was when I switched him to @Nucleus's intensive training, so credit should probably go to him. The previous training he was on was similarly intense, though.

Hmm I've always resisted Intensive Training. I'll bump it up one notch (normally Phyiscal to Intensive), but that's it. Might have to give it a go if that' the result! :D

Season 10

Introduction

I found myself, rather suddenly, a decade into my career. It could certainly have been going a hell of a lot worse, but it also felt like both Grot and I could be doing a whole lot better. As I continued to mould the Real Madrid team into a silverware grabbing, defence shredding machine of ball-shaped justice I hoped that Grot would be able to up his game and get the goals rolling in.

Transfer Activity

Spoiler

Bxf5S1hShxihfRACg2_dZOVBYsDjHulb0J9J_wvm

I went for quality rather than massive quantity on the transfer in front. Zakaria joined me again from Ajax and Donnarumma aimed to sort out the goalie issues that my predecessor had left me with (loads of goalies, all of them dreadful).

035EraR1yRAO-LOd0J4xIdxZnUo3Gw28eAi3HsOD

8LzSaToOo-9andJcOYiJkXhkBvsJTG-4TPvKKoGg

Loads of transfer out, mostly continuing the spring cleaning of oldies and baddies. Wallace Silva de Sousa decided that he was a "big fish in a small pond" and wanted to move to a bigger club! I've seen this a lot since I've joined Real Madrid, to the point where I'm wondering if something is bugged with the club's reputation. We're the top team in Spain, which is the top team in the world (I've checked the league standings). There are no bigger clubs!

The Season in Review

I was hoping, very much, to build on the modest success of last year. With my new signings I felt like we had a better chance of getting our hands on some tasteful trophy cabinet stuffing.

Spoiler

Supercopa de Espana

u3SWwapRmPlKcDQXpB80kMTlVN3Tbc7UFiP124hj

Oh damn and blast. Defeated by our arch rivals in the first cup of the season.

Copa del Rey

JKk7sO4pbbN2fLw0fSwlWtcHQktX9JLsgfhs4hqw

One stage further in the Copa del Rey, but a very disappointing defeat.

La Liga

IOtGYXWn8McUFwfmGYMsE_ivCeMNLUQu3z8mt64V

We had to put up with this sort of nonsense in the league. My expensive goalie wasn't looking like the greatest signing.

vlssBQadyPD_WHmfDHOgZwyHVvND8oVg0dHc_4Rl

Atletico Madrid were definitely our bogey team and Rayhaan Tulloch is a name that I'm learning to hate. He's an English regen and doesn't look all that, but he loves to score against us. I've considered buying him just to make sure he can never do it again...

zxFSiES7cVBVu2JU_RG2lRcv4WGKu_NYfMNEoTdt

Jf5g1zZPHfkXEciMMAVII2-IWah_IndmUX1hKPN1

However, we managed to be more consistent throughout the season than the hated Mattress Makers (what a nickname for a club) and were crowned champions of Spain, once again.

Europe

GjC1QS7YeVEtLd8qiMVkc26Z1Sk1JpZwHNo0ZAHV

We got a reasonably gentle group and came out on top.

Qeh0PUcOFeHJ96OvnxYrxZgrTyYdTUjRR2hURyab

We faced Benfica in the first knockout round and utterly destroyed them. Grot scored seven goals over the two legs.

jytu8UhB7eNHMf_Gm83zUXLC3NlMG6kdtK_gXSOo

We headed off to face our old friends at Ajax in the Quarter Finals. We walloped them in the N Van Frankewalk Arena, which allowed us to be a bit less convincing at home.

BVN9QUmqTO5fHj7dTyx1RIMOu3OKtdnSKa_t8SRZ

Bayern Munich gave us no problems in the Semi Final. We were off to Milan for the final where we would face... Atletico Madrid. Crap!

g5ENQ-nJN3tsUK_5gK68e0D9jKAdUuss-l0gKCmu

It doesn't get much closer than that. We may have been beaten by them repeatedly over the course of the season, but we won through where it really mattered. I was a wreck after this game.

FI74moIQPu-OJTxw7uOo-n0odlvxuizJMqT8ag45

Hooray!

The Grot in Review
Spoiler

GCYi7ed-psStzDSuCBqHaxS7jwEGcCsvghlnj6Pe

Closing in on 30, but still looking good. Absolutely no change to his attributes this year.

XDevEtGMMnFeZt2KhhIUKa1nzgj5h6C2mXi6wJ7l

A familiar sort of outcome. he really loves the sixties.

ytkW-jmheVJkb7r2qQ14rt6cu-CQxh5-DYCZ9Jn5

The best in Europe.

iFdBGfhH7zq465_orx8GvsVvjcifZPs_TquWWzj7

Best in Spain, too.

kf-OWFNR8sDLEJBXn5imvIMPRAJ8JsXORRSz_7P8

And one of the best in the World.

Team-mate of the Season
Spoiler

dNCO_gU8bEs7ptF1-3eJbKEYj_GOp1s2cMlfnKw4

One of the few real gems at Real Madrid when I took over.

ItLhgirOKWkKVSh_Qs33yKJhuKvOePEAw_jrJrI-

An impressive assist to game ratio.

An honourable mention has to go to this guy, though:

uY0v81Rcj-xrysuZvP1TXX7a4Qfymp1R8_JfF9eJ

34 years old and still a hulking beast of a man and fitter than 99% of the other players in the team. If Grot ages like Varane he'll still be going strong at 50.

Me in Review
Spoiler

NSwBa_H3utrN1l1QyKmylomW6P2XxlbWupH6VZuS

Ooh!

M76kxEr2dR0TNyYHR3BH9arAX1SK_r5uMuzjuAeL

LN1OoszWewxswm1aFdG0aBs3bN-PKZG7OmTvA4Af

YPygPDKTJj5g6Qz0TACZaD9fu6jrTx4WtVWAQzZD

luUujbOwKG-gmWP47cYjSXNl8m8PI9R6cR-8r1nm

Rather better deserved this season.

87_MPZiioPdya-sgAkNz4QgGJMHrCcB3EcFeuJwi

A season of ups and downs and quite a few frustrations, but winning the Champions' League makes it all a whole lot better. Grot did reasonably well, again, but he seems to be a slow and steady (hopefully) wins the race, rather than an outstanding striker. Consistency is good, but none of us are getting any younger.

It will be good to have two additional cups to aim for next season, with the additional games that come with them. Let's hope Grot has a few good seasons in him before age starts slowing him down.

On a slight tangent - what happened to World Player of the Year (or it's current equivalent) in FMM? Presumably it was removed somewhere between the 2015 version and the current one, but why?

The Challenge

Goals Scored: 657

Goals Required: 343

It’s gonna be tight! But I reckon you’ll get over the line. Great job so far, KIU

Rayhaan Tulloch is a real player by the way, he plays for West Brom I believe and is on the wonderkids list this year.

As for WPOTY award, it’s disappeared from my saves this year too, only to suddenly come back one season then disappear again the next! Other folk have never had a problem with it however and it remains a constant in their careers. I’ve come to terms with how buggy this years version was by now though 😅

11 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

It’s gonna be tight! But I reckon you’ll get over the line. Great job so far, KIU

Rayhaan Tulloch is a real player by the way, he plays for West Brom I believe and is on the wonderkids list this year.

As for WPOTY award, it’s disappeared from my saves this year too, only to suddenly come back one season then disappear again the next! Other folk have never had a problem with it however and it remains a constant in their careers. I’ve come to terms with how buggy this years version was by now though 😅

Yeah I think he'll get there in the end, just depressingly slowly. Let's hope he doesn't pick up any nasty injuries. 

Interesting to know that the object of my hatred is a real player. I'll try to resist the urge to send him hate mail :D

I never imagined that the lack of WPOTY was a bug. That's pretty poor, even by the standards of FMM. Poor old Grot, never having the chance to get golden balls. 

3 hours ago, smoggy90 said:

Great read this is and what a player Grot has become.  Keep it up!

Thanks very much for the support. He certainly looks the part, but it would be nice if he could score a little more :)

Season 11

Introduction

I started my third season at Madrid feeling a bit more chipper. The last season had certainly had it's frustrations, but we'd proved ourselves the best team in Spain and in Europe. Grot was chugging along at his apparent cruising speed of sixtyish goals a season and, as long as he didn't get hit by a bus or suffer catastrophic knee failure, it looked like the 1,000 goal mark was within reach. With two additional trophies to compete for this season I was hopeful that we could achieven some great things.

Transfer Activity
Spoiler

mLvuzCHI1JbNHDkm1UfX_BhAzVDBSuFbnWCV3MEp

A couple of great freebies and a bunch of players to strengthen the squad. Kai Havertz was a steal at £34 million.

LBKQvfHR-eqe97WF1SDSBmhuOjxpse5UaAhHoTE8

W0t4UxX27xCC4DELBV9D6LJER89R8NtXmoRozvgb

The usual deluge of rubbish pouring out the door. I seem to get a load of players promoted each year, even when I only choose one or two of the available crop of youngsters.

The Season in Review
Spoiler

UEFA Super Cup

lfGp-BBzPv_lEIlNlLNs04Mv3kR4oX0Mr4s524wB

A disappointing start to the season.

Supercopa de Espana

GkLKYocclwAFPTpbVkIk22X9n8tWMmtBCXDy2TRF

pvTnQPhm4CTpkueUxoMaLnUR1sjqUkKXEh_BteXp

Another dire perfomance, with the balme lying squarely on the shoulders of my goalie.

Copa del Rey

swVpnrVgCy7ZwqKtUUAkJEUaRVk2k0lPqOlrvxjH

One step closer to the final, again, but another disappointing loss to a pretty crap team.

FIFA Club World Cup

n7bAXtMyt19rEu2OoYEkTrL8Eqh4iJur7kmbsb5D

This is normally a formality, but a combination of poor finishing and dodgy goalkeeping led us to the penalty shootout, where we failed miserably.

La Liga

xif__NVXrKDXQ0nERdltUmIC6yQ0QtvS03OIqqGz

T3VDZgM56p5B6y9BqKwCEIEVvE9P3zlZXt9chiTP

Unlike every other competition, so far, we absolutely stormed the league. Perhaps my paleyrs are a bit shy of the big games, although most supposedly thrive in big matches.

Europe

fHLJL8CLIvzNR2mWiJQhOnL1YfrSLe3M-unh4MRy

A pretty good group, but we failed to top it, thanks to a couple of rubbish performances against Spurs.

diDfTOzXXTwQ4zff7rCIGq0ZVD8kL5Ml_SH5Li5g

Ajax got their revenge for last year in the first knockout stage.  Sad.

The Grot in Review
Spoiler

1kn1kJ6ZglKcG1buVIYF2Ihd3d2OOPlw-7iYPDDf

Just turned thirty and already some deterioration in physical stats. Nothing too concerning just yet, but it's not a good sign.

ixxzEAKzgvaydRiuDu_FHITNQ5aEvyostQClp9q1

A dip in scoring, too. Not so good.

n7w2sETucf9OGLlH1MFrBIfc3e5-R8sEayo42ESp

Still good enough to get this.

hjB-aitfFUHqt28_vOnBz4ysMH0oO_Rn3MEkJJKf

Alongside my nemesis in the team of the year.

2NVAcaUnsIK8GKsRDh6QJpfcqxb_yR7oHh7Lk7JP

A lot of Madrid white in the World Best XI

82XJB8IMorXzCObCkMNDgaegqAGiTw_UCUC09aaM

You ungrateful whelp! I know it hasn't been a fantastic season, but you've got some delusions of grandeur there, Grotty-boy.

G95kk3S3rbRj_Y7GJyPnrqXUSk09CyqBU7veFLU9

Fortunately he saw sense when I started waving money around. Five more years, barring mishaps.

Team-mate of the Season
Spoiler

y3Yc-RnpAe8j7V8LNScFOjfxoVxiBdtV0VLVhh3i

One of my new signings made a big impact.

InTAUHpy_X4SEt_U1BiDQMumJ1Bz3XeNIPyXBwaC

Pretty decent.

9Z-f0-aPEk2pqfeyOwlPOVuOd8QvzpjDkBoc6RzD

Varane hung up his boots at the end of the season, but could have gone on for another five years, looking at his attributes.

RuiGPAJ_qs_WcL2sQiBBcM8zdTVNiJPmX_Y5cw5h

Hojbjerg seems to be bagging a few too many goals. Hernandez is my back-up striker, so he's allowed to score as many as he likes :P

9mgQd7dAj5mI287cw0Qz8kfSroABr_1E3FebXIu8

The rest of the assisters.

Me in Review
Spoiler

AIbNsyGOSBOCI4M8_TrwVVlAZdtV4_aBrWUcaCha

11 years in a row. Such a surprise.

oVl4mnJR2daKT0fIy01933ElCK2SEEqRckOpfd2T

A disappointing season.

AAPwDm2l-BcfCdNSbtNqbV8g87pKnEk5FnqvrDmd

8sud1rb2pvfao3TuNSlLJWi6f9O3f0DRXOhYnbMZ

KqU_NO1Lq1H_ZPggZya2SUnPwMNHj3lg-AVqSHiV

A pretty dire season in most respects, aside from dominating in the league. I'm a bit concern at the drop in Grot's physical stats and his slump in scoring, but with at least five more seasons I'm hopeful that he will still be able to make it. Comments etc. are always welcome and I could do with the encouragement :P

The Challenge

Goals Scored: 714

Goals Required: 286
Edited by Peely

Shame about the dip in attributes/Goals, and very unlucky in the Cup Competitions!

Just out of interest, how does Tulloch look attribute wise?

42 minutes ago, malekhit said:

286 :)

good luck, 6 season each 50 gooals and GG!

or 5 more seasons at last season total +1 extra goal, easy you can do it go Grot

1 hour ago, Nucleus said:

Shame about the dip in attributes/Goals, and very unlucky in the Cup Competitions!

Just out of interest, how does Tulloch look attribute wise?

He looks very ordinary. A few green stats in important places, but mostly blue with a few oranges. I'll see if I can get a screenshot of him. 

45 minutes ago, malekhit said:

286 :)

good luck, 6 season each 50 gooals and GG!

Well spotted. It certainly looks more achievable when I do my subtraction properly :)

Season 12

Introduction

After a pretty dire season, I felt that it was time to freshen up my tactical approach. We seemed to be struggling to create chances and our conversion rate on the chances that came our way wasn't great. The fact that our goalie seemed to spend most of each game half asleep didn't really help matters. In my attempt to give Grot as much chance to score as possible I had been trying to avoid him facing too much competition in the box from teammates. That might have been fine if Grot was a Ronaldo-like goal wizard, but he wasn't quite reaching those standards, so I decided to let some of my other players get a little closer to the box. Time would tell if this would create more room for Grot and present him with better chances to score or simply leave him lumbering behind younger, fitter, more talented teammates.

Transfer Activity

Spoiler

rhB0krOgMyNdbfBwhy3pZQdrnC88M0r1l_-FB6sg

Not a lot of activity on the transfer front, but I was pleased to be able to bring in Sessegnon from Ajax.

dswVe1Xc2_RgTi8akhq3CP5uiE4X8i4hPmjPUSyN

Quite a few malcontents or no-hopers heading out the door. Embolo is a great player, but spent most of each season on the treatment table.

The Season in Review

Would my tactical changes bring us greater success this season?

Spoiler

Supercopa de Espana

u0mwyZZVvCwswNhTfDFVAzr6Yp9H5kh67b8u3GX6

A narrow win, but a win nonetheless.

Copa del Rey

Xv018NM1FBw57tt_gMEX4-24hnznWvG_t0BeAdTL

Some high scoring matches in the Copa del Rey this year. I think Grot scored nine over the two legs.

_OmF50673H7J7isTeay1DuUFLrmAk3qV8W08J9z4

He had a starring role in the final, too, unlike our bloody useless keeper.

La Liga

lD9HJFEUif7RrBEoGhK1rJVEgdwW5GX7T_OqRe69

6yhPiXNxzYvEd1L7-_WDVa7Ezzw6mHLx4VHoCN7r

Grot very much enjoyed our meetings with Lugo in the league. 12 goals in two matches.

B4XU_Qu0Tryp46pwE9A-eJS2Cw9OtZGI28FmOZYm

nMomPW5xKGxQVhUh0genZ_VSf7nCu_2kDvjw23kH

A fairly comfortable victory after a rather poor start that saw Atletico Madrid open up a ten point lead. Unfortunately for them they couldn't maintain their form.

Europe

b7xhxhlkD2J7eMiEbIiRMPFwxzOvP7o96ohXgTsy

A reasonably tough group that we won, despite a few questionable performances.

SHm9kdh8YOiWMC3JG1mwpjMf5WGZH1GS5UnvbxLK

The first knockout round saw us head to Old Trafford and, after the first leg, it looked like our European adventures would end there.

0_Snn2F1nCpgegM-qHT_c04WRHUmSTus4qDkosmw

However, super Grot-stand-in, Juan Hernandez saved our bacon.

QKF371LF_fbeA2jNw_UibtFaAxZv3e1zQKBMp53B

We walloped Bayern Munich over two legs in the Quarter Finals

IAdoHJgCz91BgWt92ujrgX-VEg_AVe957Ol89DSY

And Hernandez came to the rescue again in a very close match-up against our deadly rivals.

The final saw us facing Ajax, who had continued to be a dominant force in Europe, even without my help.

nHXoVwFXw6bS0ABQPWHblLQGBEYAPuF4NVgX6bRJ

Uduokhai! A disappointing end to our European campaign.

The Grot in Review

He certainly managed to score well in the league and Copa del Rey, but was largely absent from the Champions League. Did the new tactics help or hinder Grot in his scoring escapades?

Spoiler

YRB6Vqw58EWMc5aNbBFIbjmFTjouZXSCj_JZ5Vhg

A bit slower, fatter and weaker than last year, as age continues to take its toll, but his other stats are holding up pretty well and he's definitely not ready for the scrap-heap yet.

6QROLpcF8r5F3xTKuOrH50Pl9ACzl-xZQdqWrjAe

What the! An astounding season from the Grot-meister. So close to the fabled hundred goals.

41kG6xPPe3N8M3F-urxHAGq7j9NfqGKrAQeVVIdF

x9hrtZ9-hWIzz7XSeAKbxiwgLlRVhndaiLwc9KWc

With a performance like that, it was no surprise that the awards came rolling in.

qgaIxcassPigOKutH1o1tzIVPzZr8oDmBBGx3KDN

Another Real Madrid dominated team of the season.

HD94kBgqbyUHvKjHWXW7BELgeCbkF2AZuvS3b_z1

And we were well represented in the World Best XI, too.

Team-mate of the Season
Spoiler

CmEhutJhm94KKKRnxgAwfNYjpSXWXPyM1-jCx1A9

It's that man again. Looking like a bit of a monster.

O0AWeKGK1uFwPqwFdqRJKVrSNiGE6QGnktY-TlMD

A good assist to game ratio. Most of my other players don't see anything like as many matches as Grot, since I pretty much run two teams and rotate them.

vbJpZu_4Byw_4O8BxNYijo_IWt2LO6XRZ1Na3ma6

Despite a more attacking formation, with two inside forwards, the rest of the team left most of the scoring to Grot.

2rqozHXaHt0XUBEZKEJ_oF90-Pna-6XTFmtVsJuB

A good spread of assists around the team.

Me in Review
Spoiler

caA26TcdDfF2Kw7NgXfBHKmGCY3AfoT0Ppic0BC3

What! That's my trophy. Give it back!

u7VmYJbmSRuPDXhrMpjNVi1zcH3MGC7oC6Pxyg_X

So close to a clean-sweep, but I can't complain after last season.

cxlTQZ3OYkfSXa6BbLPwzfRX6MxfuIx4fbXYgjk5

g28ZsqEVhfPfUO9brttvfLrz7qb8DwXEaD1qrMxj

Nice to see that my squad actually like each other now.

What a difference a change of tactics makes. I was shocked by how much it increased Grot's scoring; I suppose having more players bothering the box created more space and better chances for the big man. The challenge is definitely looking achievable now.

The Challenge

Goals Scored: 808

Goals Required: 192

Wow, massive season! Well done! I was just starting to go the other way (try to get players further away from my striker), so maybe I'll pause that.

I laughed (or was that cried) when I saw that rating of 3 for Donnarumma a few updates ago. I've had problems with him in my ITN team: several times he's tried to dribble past the opposition striker only to trip on his shoelace or something and leave them with a tap in! He was much more reliable for me in 2017. 

I've never seen the World Player of the Year at all. I guess maybe my striker has just never won it and I have the filters set to local? Or it's a massive bug!

Anyway, that's a great season - hope he continues this way. You'll pass 1K in a few seasons.