Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nucleus

FMM19 Wishlist: Training and why it should be improved

659027583_Trainingtitle.png.8051e56088890d91758fae99cc858377.png

Training, a vital part of a footballers career, a part that you could say makes a player. Legends are made under the dazzling lights of stadiums, but they are born on the training ground. It’s also unfortunately a part that is very limited to us as FMM players. Here’s where I think SI could improve on in regards to training for FMM19 and beyond.

First of all let me clarify that I’m happy to keep the current training system we have in place as it is. That could serve as the Team’s General Training Regime, maybe add a few more slots so we can variate a bit more freely, but otherwise it’s a decent template for a Mobile Game. What I would like to see introduced however, is Individual Player Training. Individual Player Training would allow us to mould our players whichever way we see fit, and I’ll tell you how.

Additional Focus Training:

Additional Focus Training could be used to give a player extra training in specific attributes alongside the team’s general training regime. Additional focus would play an important part in shaping your players development, but more importantly it would give you much more freedom to shape a player to your needs.

For example, you could set these additional focuses to each player:-

• A specific attribute focus - With this, a player would spend his additional focus time on improving a single attribute. Got a striker that you’d like to have more shooting? Then give him additional focus on the shooting attribute. Got a defender with poor decision making? Then give him additional focus on the decisions attribute, and so on. Remember, your team’s general training regime is always in play, all these are are extra training regimes filtered down to your individual choice for that player.
  • Role Focus - With this a player would spend his additional focus time on improving a “set” of attributes related to a tactical role. Got a player you use as an advanced forward but you fancy his chances as a target man? Then an individual focus on the TM role would try and improve his Aerial, Shooting, Aggression and Strength. Key attributes for a target man. What this does, is allow more attributes to trained but it would obviously have a lesser effect on each one trained as the training time would be shared amongst each attribute.

Positional Training:

Or to be more precise, the scrapping of the current system. Ever witnessed first hand, the frustration of trying to retrain a player that you believe could play in a certain position, only for your “coach” to tell you he has zero aptitude in training for that position? I have, and it sucks. For example, a poor example actually but still an example. Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia, two natural wingers but have somehow found themselves playing as wingbacks. Gareth Bale, a left full-back by trade, pushed up the wing after the tactical instruction of Joe Jordan and look at him now. Sergio Ramos, Javier Mascherano, Vincent Kompany, Thierry Henry the list goes on. All of these players found success after switching positions. Positions that we have now all been accustomed with them playing in.

The point I’m trying to make is that we should be the ones to determine where a player can retrain to,  not an in-game coach who as we all know don’t really work effectively anyway. Granted, it wouldn’t always work, but it would make the game much more immersive than it is right now in my honest opinion. Imagine the joy of deciding to push your full-back up the wings or even as a striker and realising a world class player develop under your eyes!

Player Trait Training:

Player Trait Training could be used to train a player to learn a new trait or forget an unwanted trait he already has. Before setting Player Trait Training up, it would be important to make sure that the trait would be beneficial for the player, because remember, all this extra training adds to his workload and he could be at risk of injury if pushed too much. For those of you not sure what I mean when I say traits, I’m talking about the text you see on a player’s position page:-

4B3E4689-518E-43EA-906C-3F302ACB522D.thumb.png.c3825e7ed2547b3b5ba3ff2e6223f4bf.png

As you can see here, Mbappé has a few traits as an Advanced Forward on this page, the three we see are “gets into opposition area” “moves into channels” and “places shots”

If there’s plenty of interest, I’d be happy to write an article describing what each trait does in-game.

There’s two ways to train a player to learn a new trait:-

• Coached by Club Staff - This one speak for itself. One of your coaches would train the player to learn a new trait. This is where we could have more use of the staff in-game. If I wanted one of my defenders to learn a defensive trait, I’d assign that task to my defensive coach, and vice versa with an attacking player learning an attacking trait.
  • Player Mentoring - This would be a nice fun and possibly useful addition to the current set up. This is simply getting an older, more experienced player at the club to tutor a younger inexperienced player for a set amount of time. This could be teaching the younger player a new trait, or even going as far as to change his personality. For example, a ‘professional’ tutor could teach a young eccentric player to be more professional. Or a “determined” tutor could try and rub off on a player who needs some guidance and pushing in the right direction.

These are just a few ideas that in my opinion would improve on the current game.

What are your thoughts on training? Do you agree with what I suggested above? Please let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

As always Vibe, Thanks for Reading.

Good read for training I wouldn't mind an option to make your own schedule currently you can just edit the current ones but I would to have more than just technical fitness attacking defending goalkeeping. We should be able to make our own and name it whatever as I would have different ones for full backs center backs and all the different types of midfielders.  Also maybe not related but learn from an experienced player

Personally I think all of this adds too much to the game. Especially if everything here were to be added (which obviously won't happen). This is not a criticism of any of the points made, but just me stating what I feel are more game-changing and essential out of the points mentioned in the post.

If there's anything I desire more than anything, it's trait training. There's some traits that the game doesn't particularly flag as important for some roles, but is one that I strongly prefer to have on my players in that role. For instance, I like my wingers to hug the line but can rarely find one that doesn't want to cut inside. I've resorted preferring to push up wing backs to play in winger roles (because screw what the game tells me is natural), and it's worked wonders.

Position training is something that honestly has been revamped recently, and it's really much better than the old one. I'd rather have this than a poor revamp. That said it can still be improved, I really never liked the game directly telling me I can't do. I do agree with most people that we should be able to retrain our players however we like, but fundamentally I suspect I'm thinking of something completely different. It might probably rub people the wrong way, but retraining should be strongly tied to versatility, so it gets increasingly difficult the more positions a player has. And you should be able to discover dead ends (never going past red/orange/yellow etc.) without the game ever flagging it to you, at least not as blatantly as directly telling you he has no aptitude on the retraining screen. Oh and regens should pop up with no natural positions, only 1 or 2 yellow position as a recommendation, kinda like a "Hey this kid played midfield/defender/wing in the youth ranks, so he's decent here". It should solve the problem of regens of popping up with a billion natural positions from a versatile old dude and simulate some difficulty stepping up to the first team.

Specific attribute and specific role focus might be a nice touch, but honestly I wouldn't hunt down anyone to add this in. If training a bunch of traits together that is of use to a certain use in that role includes the one he sucks in, it's good enough for me.

Assigned coach training and player mentoring feels like a bonus on top of a bonus, plus it risks adding much more complexity to a game that's supposed to be a simpler version of FM proper. It's a cool idea certainly, but probably shouldn't be top of the priority.

Edited by Meow

Wonderful article and I agree with all your points, I want anything that will make my save and my players unique to me, I want to be able to influence the game across the board to make it mine. Training hasn't changed at all iirc and traits are the most frustrating filler feature I can think of as they change on a whim and we have zero control on them. 

FMM is currently like a Lego kit where you stick to the instructions in the box, however Lego is more fun when you use your imagination to build whatever you can come up with. It's a poor choice of phrase but I've witnessed FMM be dumbed down in most areas in the previous decade which makes it feel less like a game and more like a puzzle where SI have the answers. I understand why the tactics got simplified but being able to mould my own players would open up so many doors for me. 

Great article! Training really needs some tweaking and improvements.

I'd love to see what each traits do, at least it'll help some of the newer players to this game know what's what.

On 20/09/2018 at 15:00, PriZe said:

Lovely article man! I fear a lot of sensible suggestions won’t be added as they want to keep this a pick up an go game.

i

Cheers Prize. Totally agree with you, which is a damn shame for some of us 

16 hours ago, Gelaktronikz said:

Great article! Training really needs some tweaking and improvements.

I'd love to see what each traits do, at least it'll help some of the newer players to this game know what's what.

Thanks mate! I’ll definitely consider writing a guide on traits in the very near future 😁

On 20/09/2018 at 15:00, PriZe said:

Lovely article man! I fear a lot of sensible suggestions won’t be added as they want to keep this a pick up an go game.

i

Yet time savers like search features, menus, squad management, ITN, training setting and stuff like that is broken or a mess of menus 

51 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Yet time savers like search features, menus, squad management, ITN, training setting and stuff like that is broken or a mess of menus 

Hey.. the game needs to be hard in one way or the other😂

Great article, the trait training is the priority for me, I'd love to train a BPD in a 3 man defence to bring the ball out Maguire-style, because as it stands playing 3 centrebacks is only ever a defensive choice on this game.

I'd also like to see some Goalkeeper traits, like 'Looks to start counter-attacks' or 'Punches the ball [often]'.

I hope there will be more staff slots in fmm19 too, so that Lascelles can teach the next generation of centrebacks how to 'Mark tightly'.

Another aspect of training could be reducing aggression - we have seen in real life that Shelvey has massively reduced the number of cards he receives, but on fmm18 his aggression is permanently sky-high. Can't I at least have a chat with him about it?

1 minute ago, Towny said:

Great article, the trait training is the priority for me, I'd love to train a BPD in a 3 man defence to bring the ball out Maguire-style, because as it stands playing 3 centrebacks is only ever a defensive choice on this game.

I'd also like to see some Goalkeeper traits, like 'Looks to start counter-attacks' or 'Punches the ball [often]'.

I hope there will be more staff slots in fmm19 too, so that Lascelles can teach the next generation of centrebacks how to 'Mark tightly'.

Another aspect of training could be reducing aggression - we have seen in real life that Shelvey has massively reduced the number of cards he receives, but on fmm18 his aggression is permanently sky-high. Can't I at least have a chat with him about it?

Agreed! Too much of the game is out of our hands as it is right now

Nucleus ol' mighty seer, can you please tell me my future 😄

Also, I really hope they do implement stuff like trait training and player mentoring!! They're like must-haves!!