Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Should SI call time on OME?

URz

29 minutes ago, Rob2017 said:

Then build on both. With our toolsets we still maintain legacy stuff because people still use them. IMO with FMM it should be the same.

Sure, if enough people still use the OME - but of course then they have less time to spend on other things. I personally don't use the OME, so obviously I'd prefer them to spend that time on other things. 🙂

I guess it comes down to two things: a) how many people still use the OME and b) whether SI still see a future for it.

Obviously we don't know for sure what SI are thinking, but it's a good bet they don't see much of a future for the OME, so I guess it comes down to how many people use it. If 30% of people use, then they probably have to keep supporting it. If only 5% of people use, then they are probably better pulling the plug. Just how many people use it and where the 'pull the plug' line are is anyone's guess.

1 hour ago, Scratch said:

Sure, if enough people still use the OME - but of course then they have less time to spend on other things. I personally don't use the OME, so obviously I'd prefer them to spend that time on other things. 🙂

I guess it comes down to two things: a) how many people still use the OME and b) whether SI still see a future for it.

Obviously we don't know for sure what SI are thinking, but it's a good bet they don't see much of a future for the OME, so I guess it comes down to how many people use it. If 30% of people use, then they probably have to keep supporting it. If only 5% of people use, then they are probably better pulling the plug. Just how many people use it and where the 'pull the plug' line are is anyone's guess.

My guess is more people use EME than OME, simply because the first time game starts, the game somehow always recommends EME(at least the last 2 games) even if EME runs slower than OME.

Edited by Guest
Removing the word "play."
5 hours ago, Rob2017 said:

Then build on both. With our toolsets we still maintain legacy stuff because people still use them. IMO with FMM it should be the same.

Keep in mind, if something is still getting updates, it's not truly a legacy product - I've learned the hard way to be careful with my definitions for that thing at work. 😛

My opinion here is that the OME will continue in the same state as it does now until support for older, slower devices is dropped entirely - and I don't think that is going to happen until Apple discontinue iOS support for the first generation iPad Air, and iPhone 5S. That may be the next iOS release - which will probably mean FMM21 taking advantage of increased OS version requirements!

Where I stand on this at the moment is that there is no reason to take out OME at the moment. It's used by an overwhelmingly small set of users but still valuable for people with low-end/old Androids in particular and the level of support required for it is not huge. The all-new tactics last year were implemented for OME but obviously with the engine's limitations the effects won't be quite as visible as in EME. 

The scope for further improvement of the OME is quite small by this point, that's the only thing to be aware of.

9 hours ago, Alari said:

Where I stand on this at the moment is that there is no reason to take out OME at the moment. It's used by an overwhelmingly small set of users but still valuable for people with low-end/old Androids in particular and the level of support required for it is not huge. The all-new tactics last year were implemented for OME but obviously with the engine's limitations the effects won't be quite as visible as in EME. 

The scope for further improvement of the OME is quite small by this point, that's the only thing to be aware of.

Thank you for the response & for your hard work for this game. Could you comment on how EME is processing match faster than OME on iOS while EME is slower(sluggish, in fact) than OME on Android?  Is there any possibility for EME to be as fast as OME on Android?

On 11/10/2018 at 14:50, samhardy said:

I hope @danovic78 doesn’t read some of the comments in this thread 😐

I have indeed @samhardy

Firstly, I would just like to apologise for my lack of presence here on the site. A change of personal circumstance and some health issues led me to a break for a few months. I shall update all the challenge leaderboards shortly as my inbox is overflowing.

With regard to this discussion, I love the OME mainly I think because it reminds me of when I first picked up the game in the mid 90's on my Amiga and the simple gameplay just hooked me in for hours, days, weeks. I carried on with Football Manager on the PC but ditched it after wasting hours and only just getting past pre-season. This game bought me back in the franchise a few years and I was hooked again.

The EME is just something I cannot get on with, its too slow (in my opinion) and not because I am running a Nokia phone or Blackberry tablet because I am stubborn bugger and love the rapid game play. I admit to being a plug and play player, I simply do not have time for tactics building, various testing games but if SI did ditch the OME then I would probably give it a go but I doubt it would grab my attention enough. I know I am in a minority that still plays the OME but it just suits my style of gameplay and reminds me of my glory days signing Chris Bart-Williams (who? the kids say) and ruling the world!

1 hour ago, danovic78 said:

I have indeed @samhardy

Firstly, I would just like to apologise for my lack of presence here on the site. A change of personal circumstance and some health issues led me to a break for a few months. I shall update all the challenge leaderboards shortly as my inbox is overflowing.

With regard to this discussion, I love the OME mainly I think because it reminds me of when I first picked up the game in the mid 90's on my Amiga and the simple gameplay just hooked me in for hours, days, weeks. I carried on with Football Manager on the PC but ditched it after wasting hours and only just getting past pre-season. This game bought me back in the franchise a few years and I was hooked again.

The EME is just something I cannot get on with, its too slow (in my opinion) and not because I am running a Nokia phone or Blackberry tablet because I am stubborn bugger and love the rapid game play. I admit to being a plug and play player, I simply do not have time for tactics building, various testing games but if SI did ditch the OME then I would probably give it a go but I doubt it would grab my attention enough. I know I am in a minority that still plays the OME but it just suits my style of gameplay and reminds me of my glory days signing Chris Bart-Williams (who? the kids say) and ruling the world!

Its like your in my head...i also love the OME....but i'm having a sordid affair with the EME!

54 minutes ago, Rob2017 said:

One thing I would say about EME is that it is soooooo much faster on the iOS thank android. 

I hate apple!! Im android all the way but i dont really get bothered by the lack of speed.

I just upgraded my note 4 to a Note 9 and thats fast!

1 hour ago, Rob2017 said:

One thing I would say about EME is that it is soooooo much faster on the iOS thank android. 

No idea how fast iOS is compared to android. What I do know is that OME on iOS is soooo much slower than EME

1 hour ago, Woody said:

I hate apple!! Im android all the way but i dont really get bothered by the lack of speed.

I just upgraded my note 4 to a Note 9 and thats fast!

As fast as EME is for you, it's nothing compared to OME. And OME on Android is as fast as EME on iOS. Confusing? You're not alone.

33 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Doesn’t it all just be pend how good the device is you play the game on :S My iPad is rapid at running all the game but my old Android phone I use not so much as it 3 or 4 years old now.

Like I have said, I have tried many Android devices from different OEMs with different SOCs, all of them cannot run EME nowhere near as fast as OME, when EME runs faster than OME on iOS. How's it the other way around? A more advanced engine runs faster than simpler engine on iOS? Or maybe EME was built from the ground up for iOS?

& for comparison, FMM18(OME) running on Xperia XA2(SD 630) is slightly slower than FMM18(EME) on iPhone X.

FMM17(OME) running on ZUK Z2(SD 820) is slightly slower than FMM17(EME) on iPhone 7 Plus.

Edited by Guest
Changing FMM18 to FMM17.