Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Could FMM Have some competition this year?

'Disclaimer' 

Before I start I just wanna say that I am no way trying to disrespect Si and what they have done for FMM by talking about a other game on here and if this thread does need to be deleted I completely understand I just think this could be an interesting topic especially for the future of FMM I know this may sound weird but I don't want to offend anyone anyways enjoy the article. 

Well hello there everyone is has certainly been a while and I could go on about who am I and stuff but I rather get straight into the topic 

Now Football Manager Mobile has been pretty much it's own thing there really has not been anything like it on mobile since it began but that could really well change this year as another mobile Football management simulation game for mobile has come out from the dust as what could maybe be FMM first real competition the game is called 

Soccer Manager 2019

Screenshot_20181023-212720.thumb.png.352fa693a0f6143be95da27f858bb0f6.png

Now the series Soccer Manager has been around for a little bit now and while before it was an OK game with a few things that FMM doesn't have it's now got a lot of interesting features coming to its 2019 Version and boy are they interesting 

3D Match Engine 

Screenshot_20181023-212850.thumb.png.7f8773f648d80dfb6e3b550bfd4863b5.png

Yep that's a thing now we all know that FMM doesn't and probably won't have a 3D Match Engine for a few year ( Not like they need it anyways) so if you can make a decent 3D engine first that will definitely get you something above the competition and do far what I have seen it looks pretty good so far and I'd they pull it off it may get some people who want something like the PC version to pick this instead of FMM

League's 

Screenshot_20181023-212900.thumb.png.86e8c0c23521ecf1e687fe120056bcbd.png

Another thing that Soccer Manager has is a lot more league's and nations if you want to manage in Greece or maybe a stroll through Austria or you can try finding the next Messi's and Pele's in South America there are a lot of leagues in Soccer Manager and with the recent adding of the German and French 3rd tier as well as the addition of promotion play-offs the league' selection is pretty stacked 

Tactics Screenshot_20181023-220731.thumb.png.e99fe834900f0fdce55d582e772fac9c.png

Now I am not completely sure about everything that they are introducing on Tactics sides this year but from what little information I have some tactics from FM18 are in the fame (like changing of tempo) as well as a feature that I saw someone say they want in FMM19 Player Instructions a way to make tactics more in depth 

Stadium Builder

Screenshot_20181023-212854.thumb.png.8f900755835508d23f2d70679ecb6e67.png

Now on to the last big feature about this game Stadium Builder I mean this is pretty cool as this is not even in the PC game and if you're doing a RTG type of save this is a great thing to make it a little bit more personal 

Now another thing about this game is that it's free which FMM so it also has an advantage in that since

Now what does this have to with FMM 

images-49.jpg.92a544a722602f949815a70c7f7cbe74.jpg

Well as you know competition is most of the time a very good thing as it pushes both sets of developers to make their game better then the others so even if Soccer Manager doesn't keep up with FMM this year they are definitely showing that they can make a pretty good football management simulation game for mobile and could always be a Rival to FMM 

Anyways guys that's all for today I hope you enjoy it and do give your own opinions and do you think it would better if FMM had competition or not? Have a nice day/night see ya. 

Simply put no and my reasoning is simple and it's Vibe. Sure I've debated dabbling with the competition when FMM hasn't been what I hoped for, even the competition put out there by SI with FM and FMT but at the end of the day FMM is 100% made worth while by this site and this community. No other game can or will have this level of community behind it and that's why no-one can compete with FMM imo. FMT especially has always tempted me but without Vibe what's the point? 

However competition is exactly what FMM needs to ensure the series is always pushing forward and I wish them luck but it'll never be FMM to me. 

1 minute ago, Ashez said:

Simply put no and my reasoning is simple and it's Vibe. Sure I've debated dabbling with the competition when FMM hasn't been what I hoped for, even the competition put out there by SI with FM and FMT but at the end of the day FMM is 100% made worth while by this site and this community. No other game can or will have this level of community behind it and that's why no-one can compete with FMM imo. FMT especially has always tempted me but without Vibe what's the point? 

However competition is exactly what FMM needs to ensure the series is always pushing forward and I wish them luck but it'll never be FMM to me. 

Fair enough as I feel it would be more the new players instead of the ones who have played for years (if it were to have any effect at all of FMM) 

2 hours ago, DarkdragonX7 said:

Now another thing about this game is that it's free which FMM so it also has an advantage in that since

What would interest me though is how much it would cost in “in app purchases” to progress quickly in the game. 

At least with FMM once you’ve paid then that is it and you can play as much as you want for as long as you want, unless you want the IGE or the other unlockables quickly without wanting to play the game to get them

I enjoy the community that has developed from the game. Ive met alot of people from discussions about fmm and what to try etc etc. The likes of @Ashez @Aaron55 and a few others who have directed me to this platform to nature my gameplay, support with ideas to try and also given me support to share my game play with others.

I have spoken to these guys for a number of years now and I would honestly class them as friends because of this. 

I have dabbled with other games similar previously but in no way do they bring the enjoyment that fmm brings to myself. 

Competition is healthy and should be alive in order for SI to improve every year otherwise the game will just become dull. 

If Vibe didnt exist the situation would be hugely different. 

Its FMM regardless and I for one love this game I would not play any other football game..... Plus the community here is great always offer advice and help from which I have benefited 

Edited by Markcoad

Over the years I've tried loads of CM/FM/FMM competitors and enjoyed some of them, but I always come back because it's the best and most realistic (yes I know, it's got loads of holes, but it still does a much better job than anything else I've seen). Competitors would be great, as it would push them forward, but I can't see anyone coming up with an alternative that's actually better. And like @Ashez says, the community is here, and that's a big part of the appeal these days...

I for one really love this series, never thought about playing other football sim series. Android gets so many games this time of the year though, with titles like Dead Cells and Stardew Valley coming. First time I had to contemplate whether FM'd be my priority buy. Got 17 and 18 at release.

Edited by Modestep

It looks good, but for me the whole in app purchases kills it. Having to earn "coins" to upgrade stuff is just not for me. I'd rather pay £10 for the game and that be that. FM purchases I can live with because I don't really use them and they are what they are - extra money if you want it, but don't feel like you need to buy them to progress.

The plus with FMM is just the one-time purchase. All other achievements can be earned, except for the IGE, which I never buy myself, because I'd rather have my career progress naturally.

1 hour ago, stripeyfox_ said:

It looks good, but for me the whole in app purchases kills it. Having to earn "coins" to upgrade stuff is just not for me. I'd rather pay £10 for the game and that be that. FM purchases I can live with because I don't really use them and they are what they are - extra money if you want it, but don't feel like you need to buy them to progress.

52 minutes ago, Jeroenvk94 said:

The plus with FMM is just the one-time purchase. All other achievements can be earned, except for the IGE, which I never buy myself, because I'd rather have my career progress naturally.

Exactly my thought. The strongest & the only thing that FMM has that no other competitors have is the limited optional microtransactions. Mobile games plagued by excessive microtransactions, gamblings, ads, yet FMM is different. It has none of those. Yes, the features, the sleekness of the UI, & everything else there helps, but if it's just like other mobile games around, I do not think FMM would have the same popularity & fanbase. So for that, kudos to SI Games & Sega.

As for your question, yes, it would be best for everyone if FMM has serious competitors(ideally 2 of them). But first, they who want to compete with FMM need to ditch the heinous mobile games culture of excessive microtransactions, etc.. & only then they could properly compete. Otherwise, no way.

Edited by Guest
Adding answer for the OP's question.
On 23/10/2018 at 15:27, DarkdragonX7 said:

as you know competition is most of the time a very good thing as it pushes both sets of developers to make their game better then the others 

This is the key line from the OP. FMM has no competition, and that’s one of the reasons the game has declined over the last few years.

5 hours ago, samhardy said:

This is the key line from the OP. FMM has no competition, and that’s one of the reasons the game has declined over the last few years.

Thanks for the reply mate

I am really enjoying reading all of your replies and it shows how strong this community has become and how much it effects FMM. Now I do have one little question for all of you guys what is your biggest concern for FMM in regards to the future? 

57 minutes ago, DarkdragonX7 said:

I am really enjoying reading all of your replies and it shows how strong this community has become and how much it effects FMM. Now I do have one little question for all of you guys what is your biggest concern for FMM in regards to the future? 

My answer is related to my previous statments, is that I am worried that Sega will eventually cave in to the awful mobile games culture. Imagine FMM with loot boxes or gacha system for buying new players. Or you have to wait for your energy bar to refill to play a match. Or you cannot customize player pictures or logo emblems & replaced by DLCs for bunch official icon packs. & honestly, considering how much revenue those kind of games get, the temptation is definitely strong.

That's why we need to vocally support their current business practice(or maybe even ask to improve it by removing any microtransaction). We want to get new features & all, but once FMM plagued with greedy practices like those, everything would change. Drastically & for the worse.

1 minute ago, TheServant said:

My answer is related to my previous statments, is that I am worried that Sega will eventually cave in to the awful mobile games culture. Imagine FMM with loot boxes or gacha system for buying new players. Or you have to wait for your energy bar to refill to play a match. Or you cannot customize player pictures or logo emblems & replaced by DLCs for bunch official icon packs. & honestly, considering how much revenue those kind of games get, the temptation is definitely strong.

That's why we need to vocally support their current business practice(or maybe even ask to improve it by removing any microtransaction). We want to get new features & all, but once FMM plagued with greedy practices like those, everything would change. Drastically & for the worse.

Fm would not bring in stamina bars or any other money making in app purchases. We pay a price to pay for the game, that kind of money making crap is for "free to install" games. The in app purchases it has currently I'm fine with, as most are unlockable anyway. 

57 minutes ago, JonDoe said:

Fm would not bring in stamina bars or any other money making in app purchases. We pay a price to pay for the game, that kind of money making crap is for "free to install" games. The in app purchases it has currently I'm fine with, as most are unlockable anyway. 

We won't be doing anything like 'stamina bars' in the game while I'm in charge of designing it - I'm a firm believer in keeping in-app purchases to things which are unlockable in the game normally or not required in order to play and enjoy the game (for instance the editor).

As for having rival titles - I welcome anyone making sims and wish them all the best, I'm friends with quite a few people who make sports sims in other genres and miss the healthy rivalry which used to exist in SMG's back in the early 2000's when there were a good half dozen titles around.

(that being said I intend to keep FMM as compelling and fun to play as ever ;) )

4 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

We won't be doing anything like 'stamina bars' in the game while I'm in charge of designing it - I'm a firm believer in keeping in-app purchases to things which are unlockable in the game normally or not required in order to play and enjoy the game (for instance the editor).

As for having rival titles - I welcome anyone making sims and wish them all the best, I'm friends with quite a few people who make sports sims in other genres and miss the healthy rivalry which used to exist in SMG's back in the early 2000's when there were a good half dozen titles around.

(that being said I intend to keep FMM as compelling and fun to play as ever ;) )

Wahey, a big wig! Lol. Fm was, is and always will be the best football simulation there is. 

9 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

Thank you very much. I am glad that you're brave enough to take a stance on this. Like I said, it could've been better, by removing any form of microtransaction just like the mainline FM, but I am still grateful with your current stance. Especially considering how many mobile games are chokeful of awful business practices. Be strong. & if you veer of course, the fans will be there to remind you.

Some of us Old folk (@Scratch) remember the old style FM and CM which were good, and they kept the trend up with no other price but to buy the game. Then Mobile games came to fruition, including FMM which I have played and bought from day one, and there is no other game on the market that can entertain, enjoy or get people divorced and all for under a £10.

SM19 looks good, as did all the other Fantasy football, Football Managers and Chairman mobile games, but as most have highlighted we all (those especially associated to the Vibe site) always come back to FMM, will these other Apps have users create challenges to keep us interested, and for free, no I don't think so, that is what makes FMM unique, once purchase has been made, no other monies has to be spent, no adverts pop up annoying the bejesus out of us, no in app purchases have to be made unless YOU choose to, but lastly and the most important is FMM comes with VIBE, and that in my eyes is the best thing ever, without you guys reading, writing and joking about on these forums, the game would be as boring as ever, my tick in the box will ALWAYS be FMM 100%

To end, I thank all associated with the game, people like @Marc Vaughan is what makes it brilliant, the people of VIBE is what makes it brilliant, I lift my hat and bow in respect to you all, thank you from an old codger like me who is always trying to keep up with the young ones 👏

Edited by Cockers2505

Ive played SM18 because my son was into it (and I couldnt get him interested in FMM) but only for a couple of months so take this with a grain of salt. I like some of the things it has to offer eg i think that what Ive seen of its regen system is better. Players are generated completely new with a mix of skills and positions. I havent played it long enough to tell but it looks like retiring players dont come back. But things like tactics are limited to preset formations and matches look like they are pre-canned eg if you replay a match, players get injured at same time, goals get scored at same time etc. Though it does respond to tactical changes in match. You can play without buying things - progress is just slower. The training system is different, you choose 4 skills that you want the players to improve in and thats it (though you can change them week to week). So if you choose to concentrate on passing then all players are given option to improve in that area (but only a limited subset will actually grow in that ability). Its does give you a sense that each player is uniquely benefiting from your coaching but its frustrating that you can only concentrate on certain areas each week. So Id call it a cut down version of FMM with each product frustrating in different areas but FMM offering a lot more functionality. 

I should add that another thing I liked about the game is that you get in-app "points". You can choose to assign these points to different areas eg put them into things like advertising to get more money for transfers or into creating a stadium that ends up intimidating visiting teams (which has an effect on game performance) or into training etc. Does allow for a game that feels more unique and gives you a target to aim for. But challenges looks like they would be tricky since the game is poor at tracking how players, coaches do

SM19 properly have screwed up so don’t think so.

I preordered SM19 only for it to be a dodgy first BETA version which they took down.

You know FMM won’t do that 

13 minutes ago, Jazzydrury said:

I preordered SM19 only for it to be a dodgy first BETA version which they took down.

What's dodgy about it? Could you share it here?

I don’t know how to share but it didn’t work so I looked on there twitter page, it was it was an early beta, and the game if played would have numerous errors.

They have to wait for apple to clear the version.

Bumping this for any more opinions off people if any of you have played much of this? 

Is it more of a challenge than FMM in terms of difficulty etc? Thoughts on the game itself. 

It gets a pretty good average rating on the play store 🤔

I avoid any game that has IAP at the core of its game play. I also think there are plenty of other football management games similar to Soccer Manager 19 but there's nothing out there similar to FMM.

On 23/10/2018 at 15:46, Ashez said:

Simply put no and my reasoning is simple and it's Vibe.

That is an interesting perspective. Obviously FMM doesn't rely on, or need Vibe to be the quality game that it is. But having such strong community behind it, especially those in the community who continue to support it, provide essential feedback, and act as an informative resource for other players, well... I can't think of many other games that can point to that.