Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Scratch Tries: A Long Way To The Top [Complete]

Scratch

I've been playing with FMM19 for half a day and gotta say it looks great. I've been trying to work out what to do, so that I can sink my teeth into it a bit more.

It's a bit too early in the game's lifecycle (bugwise) to start a full 1KC, so I'm going to try It's A Long Way To The Top. It seems like a good time to do it.

Basically, I'm starting at the very bottom: In England with all divisions loaded, unemployed with a reputation of Unknown. My job is to find a job and start the long climb towards being awarded the superstar manager event, eg:

superstar-manager.jpg

I'll be switching clubs whenever it seems sensible. That will be refreshing after finishing a long 1KC at the same club (even if that was my club!). The part of the game I love the most is coming into a new team and rebuilding the squad. After 4 or 5 years of that, it gets a bit stale. The squad becomes so optimised it's hard to do much more with it. So changing clubs is a great reboot. 

Anyway, I started a career:

longway-season00-01.jpg.b3eff915dc1b5216fb1e3c62df9e97a3.jpg

And here is the required screenshot showing you I'm unknown:

longway-season00-02.jpg.31ae66f9bc88811ed81b6eff96627e7a.jpg

And here are the available positions at the start of the game:

longway-season00-03.jpg.23e2c4da8fca20f5cb5e5eb70f3bdeb9.jpg

I decided to apply for all of them! Let's see which one I get... Well, actually I already know, but you'll have to wait for the next instalment... :D 

Edited by Scratch
Just now, Nucleus said:

Straight back on the horse I see?! All the best mate!

Thanks mate. I figure if I get in early I won't need to risk alphabetical ordering in order to top the leaderboard. 

I almost went with a 1KC, but too much can go wrong if there are bad bugs. I still would have done it if I could have got Adam Armstrong to Beijing... Alas... Not to be...

13 minutes ago, Cockers2505 said:

Wow check you out straight into the saddle 🏇, no learning to walk, just straight into running.

good luck mate with Braintree 😄👍

Thanks mate. Truth is I was starting a career here, closing it, starting another one there, etc etc. All good for having a look around, but I actually need a proper career to really get into it. 

It's not Braintree by the way! 

9 minutes ago, Kanegan said:

Wow. Not even a day to waste i see. Good luck with this.

Thanks! I had about a day with no FMM action and was starting to get itchy! :D

9 minutes ago, samhardy said:

You're brave :P

I sure am! I'm quite worried that at some point the 'best' option will be Sunderland... Imagine having to succeed there for the good of the challenge... Having legit nightmares... 

6 minutes ago, Woody said:

Very brave! Good luck mate i shall be keeping an eye on your progress.

Thanks mate. It's a bit of a change from managing Newcastle at the very very top... But sort of fun. A bit like that time in Scotland in the CC... :) 

Just now, BatiGoal said:

Wait. You're buying the game within days after release just like the rest of us? What's going on? 

I'm reformed mate! No longer so addicted to 1KCs that I'd start one close to a release. Also I have @Foxy as my back up - I start talking about a 1KC close to a release and he shuts that idea right down. A bit too brutally to be honest, but I need it! :D

I tend to begin every FM by starting at the bottom like this, can be difficult getting to grips with a brand new game using a team and a league you're not familiar with but it's good fun and rewarding once you get into it!

Good luck, interested to see how you get on 😃

3 minutes ago, Twister045 said:

I tend to begin every FM by starting at the bottom like this, can be difficult getting to grips with a brand new game using a team and a league you're not familiar with but it's good fun and rewarding once you get into it!

Good luck, interested to see how you get on 😃

Thanks mate! I sometimes (not always) start with this sort of career too, it's quite a lot of fun! And if there be bad bugs about, it might mess up a season or so, but I can recover from that. If you're doing a 1KC and have a season stuffed up, it has a bigger impact on finishing successfully.

Anyway, thanks - hope you post whatever you're doing too. :)

Just now, chewkaiwen said:

Don’t tell me Maccelsfield offered you the job! That would be insane tbh!

You got it! I took a screenshot of me still being Unknown because I thought people might not believe it!

I created the challenge in FMM18 and tried it out there and there was no way I could get a L2 job - VNN (2nd bottom level) was the best I could get. So was super surprised when they offered it. They were in the VNN last year and are expecting a fight against relegation, so maybe their hidden reputation score is really low. Not sure. But of course I took the job. 

Yeah Macclesfield offered me too, didn't even apply 😂 reputation is unknown as well!

Turned it down though, had my eye on Germany so I've ended up at Fortuna Koln in the German 3rd division.... the journey starts here

Edited by Twister045
1 minute ago, Twister045 said:

Yeah Macclesfield offered me too, didn't even apply 😂 reputation is unknown as well!

Turned it down though, had my eye on Germany so I've ended up at Fortuna Koln in the German 3rd division.... the journey starts here

Cool, so not just me! Must be the internal reputation thing (or maybe a bug!). Argentina didn't give me the job though... :(

I'm hoping it's a sign that it's a little easier to move clubs this year.. took far too long to build up reputation in 18 unless you were winning trophies every year. Would be nice to sample a few different clubs on the way up

I suspect they made it easier to get jobs on unknown haha. Something like seeing you as a long term solution maybe? Last year, you wouldn’t get a job till January at least lol!

4 minutes ago, chewkaiwen said:

I suspect they made it easier to get jobs on unknown haha. Something like seeing you as a long term solution maybe? Last year, you wouldn’t get a job till January at least lol!

Part of the offer message was "The board believe you have the raw aptitude to succeed at the club despite your lack of experience".

So, yeah, I told them I was from Vibe and they said "Alright! we'll give you a chance if that's the case"! 😄