Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics 4-2-4 Grande Torino - GTO

BatiGoal

The 4-2-4 Grande Torino - GTO

Let me explain why the name. It's not the car but I do love my classic cars. No, back in 2015 I had the pleasure of playing what is still to date one of my most enjoyable careers I've ever shared with the Vibe community: Il Grande Torino. The main objective was to rebuild the squad that had perished after the devastating plane crash in Italy in 1949. One of the many side missions of mine was to re-create the tactic that had brought the maroon side of Turin 5 consecutive Serie A titles, as well as worldwide fame to its manager and stars on the grass for their attractive style of play, the 4-2-4.

But then the introduction of FMH16 brought an abrupt end to my wonderful GTO. The 4-2-4 Grande Torino tactic fell apart like a house of cards. FMH17 came along next and my hopes for GTO's resurrection were crushed shortly after. FMM18 no different, many test games later the tactic remained unreliable and highly inconsistent. FMM19 saw me once more keeping the tradition alive of trying to breathe life into this (by now) historical goal-scoring machine. And you know what, it isn't perhaps as deadly as it used to be.. yet.. but it's pretty close. And maybe with a few of your tweaks it can be. Give it a try and let us know how things unfold for you. Now on to the test saves..

A-league: EPL - Manchester United

Screenshot_20181112-204737.thumb.png.5b636a8234d645044b2a5c4d44e2725e.png

Screenshot_20181110-235111.thumb.png.eb1f53cea557629b35eafc72a507a833.png

No surprise here perhaps as we're three seasons into a test career and playing a top team with top players by now. Still not a bad feat winning nearly every game, and scoring 100+ league pts and gls in the process. I did lose the FA Cup final tho, the only loss (3-4) of the campaign. In this set-up the IF was netting most goals closely followed by the P and TM. The AF was easily providing most assists followed by the AP and then BBM and TM.

• Most goals: IF, P and TM
  • Most assists: AF, AP and BBM

But this went way too easy so we required testing with something smaller..

B-league: Segunda División - Málaga

Screenshot_20181112-182844.thumb.png.46e5f8df2482cd1636608c1754365b60.png

Screenshot_20181112-182858.thumb.png.e762e5877bc25fdc26d271d5cf6f7042.png

I decided to do some more testing in Spain this time and dropped down a division. We actually started badly as I was forced to sell 3 starters due to the infamous release clause in their contract, days before the start of the competition. I decided to buy no new faces in return just to see how we'd do under such circumstances. Due to the available players in the squad I opted for a mirrored version of the original, which should work just the same. I think we did good with a weakened Málaga side nonetheless. Use the available transfer funds and you'll be winning the title comfortably.

• Most goals: IF and TM
  • Most assists: TM and IF

But I want to get more testing done.. 

C-league: Serie C/C - Potenza

Screenshot_20181112-150149.thumb.png.96b89a5995c7ca5e6ef8cc235bc0c40f.png

Screenshot_20181112-164459.thumb.png.b1380dc1a20b7032362cfa3038ccd86c.png

We're in Italy. I decided to sink even deeper this time with less talented players all the way down to the Serie C. Potenza my club of choice, it sounded like 'potential' so there was our instant click, and with the little funds I had I added 3 new names to the team sheet. This was necessary because I didn't have enough players/forwards for a 4-2-4 system to play up front and/or use as subs. Once again bumpy beginnings, but things picked up quickly afterwards and we're sitting top mid-season with a 4-pt lead and a healthy GD. Still showing signs of life down here too.

• Most goals: TM and P
  • Most assists: AF and BBM

Now that we're here anyway, why not go to the very bottom of this.. 

D-league: National 2D - Arras Football (Semi-Professional)

Screenshot_20181113-123704.thumb.png.f33cef982d05cfa9b3011d1c99034cde.png

Screenshot_20181113-124500.thumb.png.b6522e4bbb555083768aab25257c379a.png

..and at the French bottom we've arrived. Arras Football. Absolutely love this name for a club, might even continue this career and see how high I can take them. I was going to say, again a bumpy start here, but in all honestly, out of all four saves this one was the most turbulent one. I'm not gonna lie, the further down we go the more signs we detect that even this formation has its weak spots. I think another issue is that down here things just get inconsistent as hell, especially early in the season when all the puzzle pieces haven't fallen into place yet. The language these players speak is red and yellow with the occasional blue's. Green is gold in this neck of the woods. We only lost twice but the games we lost we got absolutely sledge-hammered, so things are far from perfect at this point. It explains our poor GD, but hey, we're top of the league.. just. Tho I'd recommend tweaking the team instructions perhaps to suit your semi-pro players and get a little more consistency in your performances. Patience is a virtue in these lower regions. 

• Most goals: IF, TM and P
  • Most assists: AF and AP

Final words

This formation works for me, so I see no reason why it shouldn't for you. Tho I need to mention the further down the tiers of football you go the less effective I feel this machine becomes. Unless you got the final couple tweaks to perfection to make it a success in any league and in any division. In case it doesn't work at all for you it's probably either because you failed to find the right players for the specific roles or you did get the right men in for the job but they're not yet strong enough to bring in the points against the stronger opposition they're facing. In case of the latter I ask you to be a little more patient and allow your squad a little more time to improve and become better players before demanding results.

Having that said, I'm handing things over to you guys now. Have fun messing with it and I hope you get it to work as good for you as it does for me. 

Tactics + Team Instructions: 4-2-4 Grande Torino - GTO

Screenshot_20181110-013758.thumb.png.a405da9d5ad3a7d7dbb468e907c1adee.pngScreenshot_20181110-013802.thumb.png.3d89576f0a1da55a75b7de5a0e75fa2e.pngScreenshot_20181110-013807.thumb.png.bd81dd301fc2bbf7d3ccd97ad6ec0ea6.png

I was getting hammered too at the beginning with Leyton Orient, it started to pick up nicely after 4 or 5 games. I am now winning with the difference of three or four goals in average. 

5 hours ago, johnvibe77 said:

2 games with burton ....  score lines 4-2 and 6-1 ... looks like you nailed it again !

Hope there's some consistency in that. 

2 hours ago, Peppy10 said:

Im getting hammered and im man city 

That's actually great news 😂 

Just now, Helio said:

I was getting hammered too at the beginning with Leyton Orient, it started to pick up nicely after 4 or 5 games. I am now winning with the difference of three or four goals in average. 

Good to hear. It does take time to gell, but if people get right players in it should get you the results. 

This looks like a crazy setup, and I love those! Got sacked as Wolfsburg Manager testing another tactic and then got the Bochum job to save them from relegation to the German 3rd division which I did. Definitely giving your setup a go to see if I can get little Bochum promoted to the First division.

7 minutes ago, panjalakuruchi said:

I score plenty of goals with liverpool but i am conceding way too much.. knocked out of champion league group stages.. 

One thing you could try is using a Sweeper Keeper (and high defensive line) instead of a regular GK if your goalie's got the skills. In my Man Utd save it improved my GA. Wouldn't recommend it for smaller teams with less talented GKs tho, but I still ended up outscoring the opponent. 

10 hours ago, Peppy10 said:

Im getting hammered and im man city 

4 hours ago, panjalakuruchi said:

knocked out of champion league group stages.. 

Can I ask you both, who did you assign as your TM? 

I think the team must have two beast in the mid like Pogba and Matic =)) i'll give a shot whenever I got quality BBM

By the way, can someone please tell me how to find player with their role?

1 hour ago, panjalakuruchi said:

Firmino and aboubakar from porto.. i dont have enough budget

added 0 minutes later

Sorry Solanke too at times

Firmino and Aboubakar aren't ideal, but should be able to do a decent job tbf. Tho I'd question their consistency. Give em time to get their Strength and Aerial up at least if you can't find proper (and affordable) TMs. 

1 hour ago, fRESH said:

This tactic is looking crazy, last i fancied to try a formation with 4 attackers but i failed so hardly. Gonna give this a try.

I love trying to get crazy tactics to work. It works for me, but if the majority here doesn't get results with it I still have to consider it a failure. It's back to the drawingboard in that case. 

8 minutes ago, 13liker said:

I think the team must have two beast in the mid like Pogba and Matic =)) i'll give a shot whenever I got quality BBM

Yeah, those two are pretty crucial. Top leagues require quality CMs obviously, but in lower leagues you can get away with less. For AP I used Lingard as alternative, to see if less worked too, he did good there despite not being a natural CM. 

37 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

Firmino and Aboubakar aren't ideal, but should be able to do a decent job tbf. Tho I'd question their consistency. Give em time to get their Strength and Aerial up at least if you can't find proper (and affordable) TMs. 

I love trying to get crazy tactics to work. It works for me, but if the majority here doesn't get results with it I still have to consider it a failure. It's back to the drawingboard in that case. 

Ofcourse it wouldnt work for anyone.  Tactics are all about players fitting to it. If u dont have right players, you cant get most out of it. Atleast i have got couple thoughts how to improve my TT tact.

I have played 4 teams in 4 different countries. In 4 different leagues too, and tho the last one proved tough, and yes got the hammering as well, I managed to do fairly well remaining at the top of the league. And that was early in the career when my team was not yet its strongest. 

Sure everyone is following the advice in the OP??? 🙄

3 minutes ago, Stevohosking88 said:

Im following the op, this is the team I'm using as I've just started a new career.

Screenshot_20181114-104604_FM 2019 Mobile.jpg

U cant smash premier with that kinda midfield to be honest. Get proper midfielders is my advice.

18 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

The 4-2-4 Grande Torino - GTO

Let me explain why the name. It's not the car but I do love my classic cars. No, back in 2015 I had the pleasure of playing what is still to date one of my most enjoyable careers I've ever shared with the Vibe community: Il Grande Torino. The main objective was to rebuild the squad that had perished after the devastating plane crash in Italy in 1949. One of the many side missions of mine was to re-create the tactic that had brought the maroon side of Turin 5 consecutive Serie A titles, as well as worldwide fame to its manager and stars on the grass for their attractive style of play, the 4-2-4.

But then the introduction of FMH16 brought an abrupt end to my wonderful GTO. The 4-2-4 Grande Torino tactic fell apart like a house of cards. FMH17 came along next and my hopes for GTO's resurrection were crushed shortly after. FMM18 no different, many test games later the tactic remained unreliable and highly inconsistent. FMM19 saw me once more keeping the tradition alive of trying to breathe life into this (by now) historical goal-scoring machine. And you know what, it isn't perhaps as deadly as it used to be.. yet.. but it's pretty close. And maybe with a few of your tweaks it can be. Give it a try and let us know how things unfold for you. Now on to the test saves..

A-league: EPL - Manchester United

Screenshot_20181112-204737.thumb.png.5b636a8234d645044b2a5c4d44e2725e.png

Screenshot_20181110-235111.thumb.png.eb1f53cea557629b35eafc72a507a833.png

No surprise here perhaps as we're three seasons into a test career and playing a top team with top players by now. Still not a bad feat winning nearly every game, and scoring 100+ league pts and gls in the process. I did lose the FA Cup final tho, the only loss (3-4) of the campaign. In this set-up the IF was netting most goals closely followed by the P and TM. The AF was easily providing most assists followed by the AP and then BBM and TM.

• Most goals: IF, P and TM
  • Most assists: AF, AP and BBM

But this went way too easy so we required testing with something smaller..

B-league: Segunda División - Málaga

Screenshot_20181112-182844.thumb.png.46e5f8df2482cd1636608c1754365b60.png

Screenshot_20181112-182858.thumb.png.e762e5877bc25fdc26d271d5cf6f7042.png

I decided to do some more testing in Spain this time and dropped down a division. We actually started badly as I was forced to sell 3 starters due to the infamous release clause in their contract, days before the start of the competition. I decided to buy no new faces in return just to see how we'd do under such circumstances. Due to the available players in the squad I opted for a mirrored version of the original, which should work just the same. I think we did good with a weakened Málaga side nonetheless. Use the available transfer funds and you'll be winning the title comfortably.

• Most goals: IF and TM
  • Most assists: TM and IF

But I want to get more testing done.. 

C-league: Serie C/C - Potenza

Screenshot_20181112-150149.thumb.png.96b89a5995c7ca5e6ef8cc235bc0c40f.png

Screenshot_20181112-164459.thumb.png.b1380dc1a20b7032362cfa3038ccd86c.png

We're in Italy. I decided to sink even deeper this time with less talented players all the way down to the Serie C. Potenza my club of choice, it sounded like 'potential' so there was our instant click, and with the little funds I had I added 3 new names to the team sheet. This was necessary because I didn't have enough players/forwards for a 4-2-4 system to play up front and/or use as subs. Once again bumpy beginnings, but things picked up quickly afterwards and we're sitting top mid-season with a 4-pt lead and a healthy GD. Still showing signs of life down here too.

• Most goals: TM and P
  • Most assists: AF and BBM

Now that we're here anyway, why not go to the very bottom of this.. 

D-league: National 2D - Arras Football (Semi-Professional)

Screenshot_20181113-123704.thumb.png.f33cef982d05cfa9b3011d1c99034cde.png

Screenshot_20181113-124500.thumb.png.b6522e4bbb555083768aab25257c379a.png

..and at the French bottom we've arrived. Arras Football. Absolutely love this name for a club, might even continue this career and see how high I can take them. I was going to say, again a bumpy start here, but in all honestly, out of all four saves this one was the most turbulent one. I'm not gonna lie, the further down we go the more signs we detect that even this formation has its weak spots. I think another issue is that down here things just get inconsistent as hell, especially early in the season when all the puzzle pieces haven't fallen into place yet. The language these players speak is red and yellow with the occasional blue's. Green is gold in this neck of the woods. We only lost twice but the games we lost we got absolutely sledge-hammered, so things are far from perfect at this point. It explains our poor GD, but hey, we're top of the league.. just. Tho I'd recommend tweaking the team instructions perhaps to suit your semi-pro players and get a little more consistency in your performances. Patience is a virtue in these lower regions. 

• Most goals: IF, TM and P
  • Most assists: AF and AP

Final words

This formation works for me, so I see no reason why it shouldn't for you. Tho I need to mention the further down the tiers of football you go the less effective I feel this machine becomes. Unless you got the final couple tweaks to perfection to make it a success in any league and in any division. In case it doesn't work at all for you it's probably either because you failed to find the right players for the specific roles or you did get the right men in for the job but they're not yet strong enough to bring in the points against the stronger opposition they're facing. In case of the latter I ask you to be a little more patient and allow your squad a little more time to improve and become better players before demanding results.

Having that said, I'm handing things over to you guys now. Have fun messing with it and I hope you get it to work as good for you as it does for me. 

Tactics + Team Instructions: 4-2-4 Grande Torino - GTO

Screenshot_20181110-013758.thumb.png.a405da9d5ad3a7d7dbb468e907c1adee.pngScreenshot_20181110-013802.thumb.png.3d89576f0a1da55a75b7de5a0e75fa2e.pngScreenshot_20181110-013807.thumb.png.bd81dd301fc2bbf7d3ccd97ad6ec0ea6.png

Hello again. Tactic is working after 4 or 5 matches. But I wonder why don't you select any "Final Third" option? Is there something else you know? What was the reason for choosing and trying this tactic?

42 minutes ago, un4givenn said:

Hello again. Tactic is working after 4 or 5 matches. But I wonder why don't you select any "Final Third" option? Is there something else you know? What was the reason for choosing and trying this tactic?

I didn't want to mention the final third instructions in the OP as I wanted to keep the entire tactic as simple and "plug-and-play-ish" as possible without any tweaks mid-game or ways to exploit opponents etc. Not enabling anything here keeps things balanced. 

So to answer your question, the better my players the fewer final third instructions I like to give them. Great players won't need more of one or the other as they're great either way. Generally speaking, every option works for them. However, go down divisions and you'll find yourself working with weaker players and much more limited skillsets. Instructions help getting the most of their specific skill, which varies per player. So if your attacking players have good shooting "shooting on sight" is what you want. Excellent passers go "through balls", creative as well click "work into box", high in technique and dribbling then try "run at defence" etc. I do look at these things when fine-tuning my own tactics, of course depending on the ability of my players.

So the reason I selected none of them is to keep it balanced which should work best for the majority of you. Now it's up to you guys to fine-tune it to meet your team's needs. Hope that helps. 

3 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

I didn't want to mention the final third instructions in the OP as I wanted to keep the entire tactic as simple and "plug-and-play-ish" as possible without any tweaks mid-game or ways to exploit opponents etc. Not enabling anything here keeps things balanced. 

So to answer your question, the better my players the fewer final third instructions I like to give them. Great players won't need more of one or the other as they're great either way. Generally speaking, every option works for them. However, go down divisions and you'll find yourself working with weaker players and much more limited skillsets. Instructions help getting the most of their specific skill, which varies per player. So if your attacking players have good shooting "shooting on sight" is what you want. Excellent passers go "through balls", creative as well click "work into box", high in technique and dribbling then try "run at defence" etc. I do look at these things when fine-tuning my own tactics, of course depending on the ability of my players.

So the reason I selected none of them is to keep it balanced which should work best for the majority of you. Now it's up to you guys to fine-tune it to meet your team's needs. Hope that helps. 

First of all thanks for your kind answer. I understand well. You want this tactic in every league and be playable with normal players. But it is hard to understand every player's situation. It takes too much time. 

11 minutes ago, un4givenn said:

First of all thanks for your kind answer. I understand well. You want this tactic in every league and be playable with normal players. But it is hard to understand every player's situation. It takes too much time. 

You're welcome and you're right. Every tactic posted on this site can't work great for everyone. It's a solid base and a good tactic at best but it'll need tweaks and fine-tuning to make it great.