Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Midfield Role advice sought

Meestercat

Hi all, I'm you might be able to help me.

I'm enjoying the new version and have had reasonable success over a few seasons with Southampton, but something is nagging me - I'm having real issues with my midfielders. 

They're not getting particularly brilliant ratings, which I can live with to a degree, but they also seem to be performing poorly when viewed during matches.  My preferred formations are fairly standard 4231 or 4411 and it seems that my midfield 3 are either too deep when attacking, causing the forward to be isolated; or too far forward when defending, leading to large gaps in front of the defence.

In previous versions I've found BBM & DLP behind an AP to be pretty effective, but it doesnt seem to be working for me this time around. I'm wondering what roles people have been using? 

This is EME and I appreciate that there are certain variables based on what players you have at your disposal.

Cheers

Can’t see an issue with those roles you mentioned to be honest, so my guess is that the problem lies within your team instructions maybe?

Hmmmm, interesting.

To be honest I usually try to keep things as simple as possible and don't mess too much with the instructions - Use Control when at home, unless against a bigger team, use Balanced or Counter when away and leaving the rest at default.  I've experimented with using a Narrow formation a little too.  Mixed Passing, standard Tempo, etc.

Perhaps its just that Hojbjerg, Lemina and Harrison Reed aren't the greatest!

I'm doing ok.  I've qualified for the Europa league each season, so I suppose I'm being a bit picky!  But a lot of my wins are scraped 1-0s with a fairly low possession % and relatively few shots on goal.  I think sorting out the midfield might be the thing needed to push into the Champion's League bracket.

Have you tried narrow with short passing? Maybe even a slow tempo too. That should help you keep possession more. All depends on your players mind!

I have been doing pretty well with a midfield combo of a CM and DLP or a DLP and BWM both set ups have an AP infront of them. I rarley use the instructions as I am not 100% what affect they have on the game. In my experience for the role to work you have to have the right player to do this i make sure the player has at least 13 in the stats highlighted for role.

Thanks both.

I've brought in Naby Keita as a BBM and am experimenting with BBM, DLP and AP with shorter and slower passing.  I'll see how this works out.

12 hours ago, Meestercat said:

In previous versions I've found BBM & DLP behind an AP to be pretty effective, but it doesnt seem to be working for me this time around. I'm wondering what roles people have been using?

I find the BBM to be a much more attack oriented role this year so that could explain your "gap". 

it seems that my midfield 3 are either too deep when attacking, causing the forward to be isolated

That's your DLP. 

or too far forward when defending, leading to large gaps in front of the defence.

And that's your BBM. 

If it works, result-wise, leave it. The formation as a whole has found its balance. Otherwise I'd always go with a straightforward CM for either of the two. 

On 29/11/2018 at 23:41, BatiGoal said:

I find the BBM to be a much more attack oriented role this year so that could explain your "gap". 

That's your DLP. 

And that's your BBM. 

If it works, result-wise, leave it. The formation as a whole has found its balance. Otherwise I'd always go with a straightforward CM for either of the two. 

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve actually switched to a 3421 with a CM and a DLP behind an AP and an AM (with a Libero as well!) and it’s proving much more solid - some nice passing triangles and good coverage in both attacking and defensive phases.

Edited by Meestercat
6 hours ago, Meestercat said:

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve actually switched to a 3421 with a CM and a DLP behind an AP and an AM (with a Libero as well!) and it’s proving much more solid - some nice passing triangles and good coverage in both attacking and defensive phases.

Nice. 

I think the CM role is very underrated in FMM.

10 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

I think the CM role is very underrated in FMM

I think that’s because people don’t understand how the role works. All the other roles are pretty self explanatory.

Such a genuine and helpful comments, anyway I have tried a lot with BWM and BBM in 4-2-3-1 with AP and bringed me a lot of possession. If you want to spice it up then I suggest using 4-3-3 with 2 DLPs and 1 BWM in centre. The 3 strikers can be whatever you like to but I generally use 2 Advanced Forwards and 1 Poacher (again the poacher is in centre). The instructions are flexible though you can make the team close either everything or in your own half whilst keeping the defensive line high up pitch. The attack can be whatever you like and still work.