Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics Peps Pups - an IWB tactic for EME

Burn

Hi all. So first an admission, I've been registered here on the site since 2012 - and was a lurker for a long time before that - but I don't post much. This is only my 7th post ever, as I'm a passive user that just logs in annually, grabs the Wonderkid lists and some tactics, and then disappears again until the following season.

I've never ever made a tactic before, I've gone through years of playing FMM relying solely on the tactics created by the likes of Prize, Ashez, Bugel and others.

This year I got the game on day of release, so there was no tactic to grab, I then read a post the next day talking about how 2018 tactics were not working, so it seemed I had 2 options... stop playing and wait, or make my own tactic. Meh, no time to wait, I better try to build a tactic then!

As a West Ham supporter, it seems obvious that I need to start with them and try to achieve something worthwhile, the benefit being if a tactic works well for West Ham then it should theoretically work well for most teams.

So I sold the majority of the first team, who were mostly old, useless or both of those things, and went about using the funds to invest in an array of future stars. Problem here of course is that throwing youngsters with potential straight in to the first team is often a recipe for disaster and subsequently the sack - but hey ho, let's see what we can do.

Year 1 was pretty successful I think, given that I had sacked all of the staff, sold most of the 1st team, and had to use knock-kneed kids all far short of their ultimate potential.

Aurnatovic, who I kept, scored so many in the first half of the season that the big boys came calling and I had no option but to sell him. Felipe Anderson won player of the year, and I myself won Manager of the Year for taking a team of wet-behind-the-ears schoolboys to second place in the Premiership...

pep3.jpg.6d8bbb02105828135e6f4efaf8e8606a.jpg

pep2.jpg.0d3fbdb8cab10fd96344fd581583fe77.jpg

Second! Is that it? Second sucks! We demand tactics that deliver dominance from year 1! A tactic that delivers every title, immediately, and forever thereafter!

Don't worry, we got there, from year two onwards we started winning everything, title after title, cup after cup, even the cup games I didn't want to win were being won, my biggest issue became managing fixture congestion, squad rotation, player fitness and morale!

pep1.jpg.d8945ffc8fc0edacdb8bfbb44251abd9.jpg

I think most would class that as a reasonably successful first 6 and a bit years. Complete domestic and European dominance, solid managerial stats and a handsome profit to boot. 

So enough of my blah blah, here's the Peps Pups tactic...

The rules of engagement are very simple... if your opposition uses wingers then use your left-footed Inverted Wing Backs on the left, and if your opposition uses Inside Forwards then use your right-footed IWB on the left to counter them cutting inside.

Players of note for the IWB role include Vagnamon, Mbambu, Weiser, Passlack, Dalot, Tierney - they don't need to be both footed (but it's a bonus if they are), they do need to be re-trainable to play on the opposite side.

shape.jpg.c8baeb2ede664201c67773cd08aaa8ec.jpg

IMPORTANT EDIT: After multiple seasons at multiple clubs, I now use only regular Goalkeeper, NOT Sweeper Keeper as shown above.

def.jpg.91ed436bb4f536d0d6cb5c8d03f24984.jpg

att.jpg.570b4250362ca9d89430e866b578e37b.jpg

Edited by Burn
typo

Quote [The rules of engagement are very simple... if your opposition uses wingers then use your left-footed Inverted Wing Backs on the left, and if your opposition uses Inside Forwards then use your right-footed IWB on the left to counter them cutting inside.]
Agree!! That's really a great tactics!!

Edited by william815
20 hours ago, bb said:

What are your possession numbers in your matches 

Nothing special, between 50% to 60% typically, but high possession was never the intention.

The more important bit is that, with a team of mostly raw kids, West Ham won the Premiership, FA Cup and Champions League in only their second season...

season2.jpg.1820c56765da5100f468f4f9cc35d45c.jpg

On 15/12/2018 at 13:06, FMLover:) said:

If you find your team in disadvantage , what do you do ? 

Don't know if I can help much as I've not really had any problems, the tactic is pretty much plug and play, very little tweaking or in-game babysitting is required other than making necessary substitutions based on player poor condition or poor performance.

Some updated notes from multiple seasons on multiple careers...

I now only use regular goalkeeper, NOT sweeper keeper.

I try to ensure that all player morale is good or better - to aid with this I try to sign players up as Rotation rather than First Team, and never as Key Player.

I'm quite strict with fines for any performance of 5 or below, or any sending off that is for violent conduct.

All 3 midfielders have average to poor stats, I believe this is a game issue rather than a tactic issue - as even the regens of Busquets, Toure, Vidal, and Schweinsteiger only average a low 7 rating.

On 18/12/2018 at 14:47, Burn said:

Don't know if I can help much as I've not really had any problems, the tactic is pretty much plug and play, very little tweaking or in-game babysitting is required other than making necessary substitutions based on player poor condition or poor performance.

Some updated notes from multiple seasons on multiple careers...

I now only use regular goalkeeper, NOT sweeper keeper.

I try to ensure that all player morale is good or better - to aid with this I try to sign players up as Rotation rather than First Team, and never as Key Player.

I'm quite strict with fines for any performance of 5 or below, or any sending off that is for violent conduct.

All 3 midfielders have average to poor stats, I believe this is a game issue rather than a tactic issue - as even the regens of Busquets, Toure, Vidal, and Schweinsteiger only average a low 7 rating.

Thanks once again for your long and informative answer . 😄

Brief update, new PSG career using this tactic...

Sold every non-French player, rebuilt team with entirely French players and staff, youths like Upamecano, Tolisso, Cuisance, Mukiele, Ndombele.

First season, won everything including Champions League.

Third season, went whole year unbeaten while rotating youth players to ensure they all got adequate development time.

Now scouting for newgens of Ribery, Evra etc while waiting to hopefully get offered the France national team job!

Tactic (with GK not SK) is proving itself completely plug, play and forget - making it ideal for ripping through a career on fast commentary-only settings with minimal issues.

Edited by Burn