Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Gateshead in Europe: First K/O Round v Spartak Moscow

samhardy

7 hours ago, AnonymousLietchensteiner said:

I remember in FM18 I led Eastbourne to FA cup semi finals, stunning Crystal Palace on penalties and a four nil drubbing of Cheltenham. We faced Man City and  lost 8-0. I got promoted to the League Two (I had done a season before) but got sacked at the end of that season as we were relegated, and were humiliated 2-0 by Billericay (including an own goal from my striker)

I'd previously had a run to the semis as well with a non league team, Aldershot I think it was. Must have been 7 or 8 years ago though.

More of this coming soon :P

Back to the "FA Cup" type style for the knockout rounds.

Europa League First Knockout Round

flag-england2x.png&key=32908f503b67f98de Gateshead v Spartak Moscow flag-russia2x.png&key=8629f47cdafd0f1a30

First Leg

We started on the counter against the Russians as we did to such success in the group stages. However they made their intentions clear very quickly...

Screenshot_2019-01-02-14-50-52.thumb.png.4d90dd83562d141fa38bab2e5d81ab53.png

As you can probably guess the defences were on top in the first quarter of an hour but a potential killer blow was struck just after that. It took a stunner from Sofiane Hanni to break the deadlock in what was their only shot on target and earn Spartak a crucial away goal which to be fair was the only way other than an error where a goal was coming from.

We had the better of the game in the second half but ultimately our lack of offensive quality showed as we couldn't break down a well organised outfit. Spartak took a 1-0 lead back to Russia and a mammoth task was facing us if we were to continue this magical run.

Screenshot_2019-01-02-14-59-14.thumb.png.b1f5feadd8bea0770873c3d309d10e6d.png

Second Leg

If the Russian side were defensive in the first leg that was nothing compared to what they were in the reverse fixture. In a surprise move they sacrificed almost all possession of the ball and tried to kill the game at every opportunity.

We struggled to create any clear cut chances at all. With 10 minutes to go though Ben Hinchcliffe had a glorious chance to send the tie into extra time but spurned his chance from close range.

Look at the match stats! A heart breaking way to exit the tournament especially as we were the better side over two legs :(

Screenshot_2019-01-02-15-24-12.thumb.png.80efa57e773f35aec24975c01910481a.png

Overview

I played these two legs on the 9th January and still haven't quite got over it 😂 

That does though bring an end to this run and therefore the career so thanks to everyone who has enjoyed the journey. I thoroughly enjoyed the chance to play in Europe with a League 2 team after a once in a lifetime first season and would have took getting out the groups before hand but the way it ended was infuriating.

The save itself lasted a few seasons after this but I haven't played it in about 6 months. I might do a round up of what happened after this season but equally I might not in fairness.

Cheers

I missed this career (and most others) so got a real shock when I saw a @samhardy career! Great write up mate, sad it's ended. I especially enjoyed the part where you knocked Sunderland out of the cup, thanks I needed that! :P