Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun/Games 2019 Vibe Premier League

samhardy

Interview with @Woody before the VPL.

Hello Woody, we’ll get straight down to business in this pre-VPL press conference. What is your favourite fruit?

"Bananas....but just before they turn brown, i like them sweet not crunchy."

Last year you had a nightmare “judgement week”, essentially relegating yourself by not submitting a score when a score of 1 would have been enough. Do you still have nightmares about that to this day?

"I'd rather not talk about it to be honest...i've had extensive therapy and i just want to move on from that dark time."

There’s no Dutch duo of PriCe and BatiFail participating this year. Does that make things easier or would you have preferred them to be involved? 

"It's a shame they are not involved but there is still some top talent involved but i'm hoping to perform well."

What is your favourite song by Nirvana?

"Smells like teen spirit of course but i'm quite parcial to Come as you are."

Earlier today Foxy made what could be seen as a “threat” towards the rest of the competition. What were your thoughts on that?

"Hot air to be honest! Its only because  Bati and Prize arnt involved 😉"

Where do you think you will finish in this year’s VPL and who are the main contenders for the title?

"Hopefully winning but i cant see that happening so as with all Woodys i will be hoping to finish strong."

On a scale of 1 to 10 what is your favourite colour of the alphabet?

"A Blue X and its a strong 10."

And finally, do you know who this is?

Spoiler

22F5C76E-2773-436B-8D3A-2137613DBD69.jpeg

"Mike Ashley & Lee Charnley's love child?"

Week 1 - Challenge

C.B. Fry

Usually, whether an individual has "made the most" of their life is a nearly impossible question to respond to. However one man that the aforementioned question is easy to answer is English sportsman, politician, diplomat, academic, teacher, writer, editor and publisher Charles Burgess Fry. I mean I don't think it's possible to fit more into a life if you try but for this challenge we're leaving out the boring bits and focusing on his sporting career, which as you've guessed by now, spans more than just football.

r8NTNOPsr7-768x459.jpg

He was actually best known for being a cricketer who represented England, but he also played football professionally for Southampton and Portsmouth, played once for the England national football team, as well as for amateur London side Corinthians. If that wasn't enough he also equalled the then long-jump world record in 1902, the same year he reached the FA Cup final with Southampton, played Rugby and Athletics to a very high standard at Oxford University, and to quote, "Fry was also a decent shot putter, hammer thrower and ice skater, representing Wadham in the inter-College races on Blenheim lake in the winter of 1894–95 and coming close to an unofficial Blue as a member of the Oxford team who took on Cambridge on the Fens, as well as being a proficient golfer.

If this doesn't sound bonkers enough already then get a load of this: Despite having absolutely no links to the country whatsoever, he was offered (and declined) the Albanian throne, presumably due to his achievements, but I can't find the official reason. But it makes a good challenge for FMM.

The Challenge

Fry made his debut aged 16 for Corinthians but since they're unplayable it'll be Southampton that are the club used in this challenge where he reached the cup final. The challenge, of course, has an Albanian twinge to it.

He was a full back but for this challenge I'll allow centre backs to be used too, with pace being his key strength. You will buy a 16 year old English defender with pace of 10 or above, full back or centre back, to be "your C.B. Fry" and he'll have to play in every league game. I will allow you to buy 2 in case of No.1 getting injured, but the back up can't play any part unless he's stepping in due to injury.

Then to the other end of the pitch, and the Albanians. You must buy 3 Albanians (none can be green as a natural striker) but they must be able to score and assist goals. Whilst they aren't permitted to be "green" as a natural striker, they are still allowed to be deployed there.

The task will be to tear the league apart with your 3 Albanians, whilst keeping the ball out of the net at the other end.

Clarifications

• Take charge of Southampton
  • This is a half season challenge, meaning you play the first 19 league games of the season.
  • The 4/5 players you bring in are the ONLY transfers in allowed. No more incomings.
  • You can sell players
  • The centre back must be 16 y/o, English and have pace of 10 or above.
  • The Albanians can not be any shade of green as a natural striker, but can play there.
  • Whilst they don't make a huge difference, no coaching badges allowed either to keep things equal.
  • No cup games count towards points.

Points System (19 League Games)

League Points

2 points for every league goal scored by an Albanian

3 points for every league assist by an Albanian

3 points deducted for every league goal conceded.

Example: 40 points + 20 goals + 15 assists - 12 conceded = 89 points.

Deadline - Monday, 11th February 11:59PM GMT

You should already have a PM with me regarding the VPL, please use that one when submitting results in order to save PM space.

After all the results are in and I've posted the results (which will be on Tuesday) I will send the screenshots from my challenge to my opponent.

Rules + Screenshots Required

Spoiler
  • Enhanced match engine only
  • Own tactics only
  • No coaching badges
  • No unlockables, IGE or outside software
  • SI approved databases only
  • No holidaying or reloading
  • Evidence via screenshots will be required
  • Failure to meet the deadline will equal 0 points - no extensions
  • If you fall under any suspicion you will be asked to submit your save for inspection. Failure to do so will result in immediate ejection from the competition.
  • Tiebreaker is league points
  • And the most important rule - have fun :)

Screenshots Required

• Attributes of signed defender + 3 Albanians on the day of the signing
  • Squad list in order of appearances
  • League table
  • Manager profile
  • Player history pages of signed defender + 3 Albanians
  • Full fixture list from beginning to end of the challenge
  • Transfers page

Wow great challenge to start! I already know which CB to sign who i have used regularly but no idea where to start with the Albanians! Thanks Sam, look forward to getting this started.

Edited by smoggy90
spelling
8 minutes ago, smoggy90 said:

Wow great challenge to start! I already know which CB to sign who i have used regularly but no idea where to start with the Albanians! Thanks Sam, look forward to getting this started.

Nathan Wood? 😛

6 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

Fu**ing work permits!! Piss off Sam!!!

Not an excuse. I've already checked to see if there's a suitable amount of players available and... there is ;)

I did forget to repost the fixtures though so here they are.

Fixtures Wk1.png

Just now, samhardy said:

Not an excuse. I've already checked to see if there's a suitable amount of players available and... there is ;)

I did forget to repost the fixtures though so here they are.

Fixtures Wk1.png

I’m fine with the work permits, as long as they’re consistent, which they aren’t! 

How the hell can I sign an uncapped, unknown Albanian for pennies with no hassle whatsoever. Yet I cannot sign a player that’s in a decent-ish league, in the national side and has a few caps under his belt?! CA588BAF-343F-4891-AD86-2FC724C91CAC.gif.ff0adbbcd9a40db2d10693a2c5d42da1.gif

I really enjoyed the read through, in my mind i had you spending hours researching the material. 😆

I hope to make it worthy by smashing a huge total(promise i wont cheat) 😲

43 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

You’re damn right I’ve finished! I can do 19 league games whilst having a shit 😂

Thats a vision i could of done without...😫

Just to clear one small thing up: It says that your "C.B Fry" replacement has to play in all 19 league games, although you can sign a replacement in case he's unavailable.

This means that all points from any games you play without either "Fry" or his replacement will be scrapped.

Results from @Nucleus and @Foxy in so far.

This tournament instead of constantly posting who’s yet to submit I’m just going to keep the list in the OP and will update it when someone submits. Easier to keep track that way and stops me from the direct reminders :P

OMG how have i missed all of this???

I only got a notification 1 hour ago.

Let me read through all of this and get up to speed. Back in a jiffy...

First off - I don't understand the 'real football' points system but that's probably me being very thick. I'll just find out what points/goals i get when @samhardy posts them up right?

Of course that leaves me wide open to be stitched up but I'm not the greatest player by any stretch of the imagination so that wont be necessary anyway 😁

This looks super fun and my goal is to come at least 7th...

That being said I want to get off to a good start and I'm secretly optimistic about this first challenge.

I plan to have this completed by tomorrow.

Good luck worms! (Not really - you wont need it)

26 minutes ago, DutchTony said:

First off - I don't understand the 'real football' points system but that's probably me being very thick. I'll just find out what points/goals i get when @samhardy posts them up right?

The easiest way to explain it is with an example. Let's say the scores are as follows:

• Foxy - 90
  • Smoggy - 80
  • Me - 70
  • Tits - 60
  • Tony - 50
  • 1759 - 40
  • Nuke - 30
  • Woody - 20

The top 2 in the leaderboard for the round (Foxy and Smoggy) would get the maximum of 3 goals. Me and Tits would get 2, yourself and 1759 1, and Nuke and Woody would be goalless.

Therefore the scores for this week would be as follows.

Woody 0-1 Tony

Smoggy 3-1 1759

Me 2-2 Tits

Foxy 3-0 Nuke

And it's as normal 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw. The highest scorer in the leaderboard gets a bonus point in the table and the lowest scorer is deducted one.

28 minutes ago, samhardy said:

The easiest way to explain it is with an example. Let's say the scores are as follows:

• Foxy - 90
  • Smoggy - 80
  • Me - 70
  • Tits - 60
  • Tony - 50
  • 1759 - 40
  • Nuke - 30
  • Woody - 20

The top 2 in the leaderboard for the round (Foxy and Smoggy) would get the maximum of 3 goals. Me and Tits would get 2, yourself and 1759 1, and Nuke and Woody would be goalless.

Therefore the scores for this week would be as follows.

Woody 0-1 Tony

Smoggy 3-1 1759

Me 2-2 Tits

Foxy 3-0 Nuke

And it's as normal 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw. The highest scorer in the leaderboard gets a bonus point in the table and the lowest scorer is deducted one.

Ahhh i get it now.

Thanks.