Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun/Games 2019 Vibe Premier League

samhardy

If I had something to play for, I'd probably go Sydney, but as I don't, I won't - I've gone unconventional, and immediately regretted it of course.

Btw @samhardyi presume midfielders can play in the AM R/L/C positions?

1 minute ago, Woody said:

Do we have to clarify the players we use for the bonus points before we start?

No you need to use the players Sam has specified for each club. So if you pick Sydney your 3 bonus point players are the 3 defenders he names in the challenge post.

They are all listed in the challenge post under a spoiler.

These are the bonus players that you will be using once you've chosen your club/in order to help you choose it.

Adelaide - Michael Jakobsen (D), Ben Halloran (M), Baba (S)

Brisbane - Jack Hingert (D), Stefan Nigro (D), Adam Taggart (S)

Central Coast - Jacob Melling (M), Connor Pain (M), Ross McCormack (S)

Melbourne City - Ritchie De Laet (D), Bart Schenkeveld (D), Luke Gallo (M)

Melbourne Victory - Thomas Deng (D), Kosta Barbarouses (M), Ola Toivonen (M)

Newcastle Jets - Pat Langlois (D), Kaine Sheppard (S), Roy O'Donovan (S)

Perth - Chris Oikonomidis (M), Jamal Reiners (S), Andy Keogh (S)

Sydney - Alex Wilkinson (D), Rhyan Grant (D), Michael Zullo (D)

Wellington - Mandi (M), Max Burgess (M), Nathan Burns (M)

Western Sydney - Brendan Hamill (D), Alexander Baumjohann (M), Oriol Riera (S)

1 hour ago, Foxy said:

No you need to use the players Sam has specified for each club. So if you pick Sydney your 3 bonus point players are the 3 defenders he names in the challenge post.

They are all listed in the challenge post under a spoiler.

Ok that wasnt showing for me. Dont know why, thats why i asked!

It was showing as a blank page on my phone. I could click on the tab though, seems its my end that causing it. Ive just popped on my laptop and it showed up on that so thanks for the confirmation @Foxy 

Finished my attempt now. Really nice challenge to end things with. Brought back memories of my Parking the Bus challenge career.😀

Will upload later tonight or tomorrow morning.

1 hour ago, samhardy said:

All done! Have I just clicked continue for the last time in this year’s VPL? :O

Let’s hope so eh!

I don’t hold out much hope for myself but I’ve had a blast during the campaign.😀

Just need to work out who I’m going to root for in the playoffs now.🤔

On 22/03/2019 at 20:20, samhardy said:

And failing to read the clarifications properly has meant @Nucleus score has had to be pretty much halved

I made the same mistake 😡

All results in.

What a fucking incredible set of results and week this has been. Never seen anything like it. Twists and turns and it went down to the final result but how did it end?!

See you all tomorrow for the results. Don’t miss it 😘

8 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

@Woody I’m intrigued to know what your job is? Apart from a 24 hour piss taker obviously 😛

Im a Military test engineer for a subsidury company. Sounds a mouth full i know.

Dont work directly for the military but i test and service all cables and harnesses that go into fighting vehicles and Flight refuelling.

5 minutes ago, Woody said:

Im a Military test engineer for a subsidury company. Sounds a mouth full i know.

Dont work directly for the military but i test and service all cables and harnesses that go into fighting vehicles and Flight refuelling.

That’s one way to put me firmly in my place 😂

added 0 minutes later

That sounds dead interesting to be fair

19 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

That’s one way to put me firmly in my place 😂

added 0 minutes later

That sounds dead interesting to be fair

Sorry dude....i do work ridiculous hours. Some days i do upto 12 hrs if work is needed.

Week 7 - Results

Well here we go. We've finally arrived at the conclusion of the VPL league season. Foxy is the only person guaranteed qualification and we know that Tony is already out but all other 5 managers are still battling for play-off places, even if it would take something remarkable for Smoggy or Nuke to miss out.

I'm going for a completely different style in the results post this week because like I said last night this has been hands down the most stunning and exciting week of results I've ever seen and I don't think that would come across if I just did the regular match reports.

Here's how the table was looking going in to this week of fixtures:

Spoiler

League table Wk6.png

And here's the final round of fixtures:

Spoiler

Fixtures wk7.png

It's become a bizarre trend on vibe recently to leave a soundtrack at the start of a post to give the readers something to listen to so here's my attempt with the first song from the best debut album of the 21st century :)Disclaimer: This may or may not have a second meaning of winding up a particular fellow participant.

And I've rambled enough now so here are the results...

The first to submit this week was... of course Welshman @Nucleus. I make that 6 out of the 7 weeks that has occurred but let's get straight into it. He's against Ian this week, and all he had to do was avoid the lowest score of the week and he's home and hosed. According to Nuke, in this thread he "smashed it". I can confirm he did indeed smash it, shame he didn't read the rules though and played his defenders out of position! Not the time to be making schoolboy errors like this. He finished 2nd in the league with Sydney and got 16 clean sheets but his original score of 200 was almost cut completely in half as he finished with 110. A mistake but surely it won't matter with the position he's in in the league but potentially he's now going to get a much tougher semi final.

• Nucleus - 110

Next result in belonged to Nuke's opponent @1759. Ian knew he needed a bit of a miracle coming into this week and that even a win might not have been enough. All he could do was plough in a good score and hope for the best. Ian also went for Sydney but managed to read the challenge post and had a good run at things. He won the league and got a decent amount of clean sheets as well, racking up 99 bonus points and finishing with a total of 176! Now things could be getting interesting as that will surely be enough to get the win against Nuke but he needs his score to be the highest or his opponent's to the lowest too which looks unlikely at this stage.

• 1759 - 176
  • Nucleus - 110

@Mr Tree came in next and this was the only match against Foxy that had no play-off permutations but Foxy was still wanting top spot and in Tree's own words he "wanted to avoid 3-0". He went for Melbourne Victory and won the league easily picking up 70 points from combined league and goal difference. He also managed a healthy 52 bonus points which splits the first two managers to submit, that means Tree definitely won't have the worst score this week and I'll wager that we now have a concerned Welshman scrolling down this screen.

• 1759 - 176
  • Mr Tree - 122
  • Nucleus - 110

So it's now confirmed that Ian has beaten Nuke but as previously mentioned that won't be enough if I beat Woody and someone comes in lower/higher than Nuke's/his scores. A brief breakaway though to the top of the table now as @Foxy submitted next and a win would be enough to claim top spot due to his win over Smoggy earlier in the campaign. Like his opponent, Foxy also went for Melbourne Victory and earned 12 more points from the league than Tree. He also outscored the Irish Ilex on bonus points as well to take his score up to 160 which is decent enough and higher than Tree's, but does this let Smoggy back in at the top as if no-one splits Foxy and Tree then Smoggy will top the league with a win!

• 1759 - 176
  • Foxy - 160
  • Mr Tree - 122
  • Nucleus - 110

Into the key match of this week now which is myself v Woody. A win for me would see me qualify and now we know Ian beat Nuke, the only way for Woody to qualify would be to secure a bonus point win. I went for Sydney too trying to rack up a lot of clean sheets and take the game away from my opponent and after the first 5 games with 3 clean sheets I was thinking here we fucking go. Unfortunately it "fell off a cliff" to use an Ian phrase and I started conceding a lot of late goals and drawing too many matches. My final total finished just short of Ian!! 174 was my final total and this concerned me a lot as I knew that Woody has the capability of beating that and at this point I feared for my place in the playoffs.

• 1759 - 176
  • samhardy - 174
  • Foxy - 160
  • Mr Tree - 122
  • Nucleus - 110

If I was concerned at this point it was nothing compared to what Nuke would have been feeling as this was the first time where of the week where I even considered the possibility he could go out. But in yet another twist @smoggy90 came to the rescue of Nuke, continuing his fantastic season with a smashing total of 202. 94 points from league and GD and a huge 13 clean sheets sent him top of the pile and now he's arguably the favourite to win the league as nobody has split Foxy and Tree yet. Huge sigh of relief for Nucleus though as he now just needs one of Woody or Tony to finish below him and he's though. All Ian's hard work could be coming undone and the potential miracle could be off here. It was already pretty much certain but this score secured Smoggy's place in the playoffs.

• smoggy90 - 202
  • 1759 - 176
  • samhardy  - 174
  • Foxy - 160
  • Mr Tree - 122
  • Nucleus - 110

Now onto @DutchTony who has had nothing short of a nightmare VPL but I think everyone apart from Smoggy and Nuke are hoping he puts in a good showing here. He went for Sydney here and... Tony was another one who absolutely smashed it!! An outstanding performance from him to finish off the season, winning the league with 17 clean sheets!! That put him on 223 and would have put him top of the pile. But he also didn't read the rules and a gut-wrenching turn of events he lost over 100 points 😱. What did he finish on?

The disastrous mistake took off 104 points... That means he finishes on 119!! Nuke is now in major fucking trouble, Ian is now very much in with a chance of pulling off one of the biggest miracles I've ever seen in vibe competitions and Smoggy is starting to think of topping the table! And this was meant to be such a straightforward week for the favourites :O

• smoggy90 - 202
  • 1759 - 176
  • samhardy - 174
  • Foxy - 160
  • Mr Tree - 122
  • DutchTony - 119
  • Nucleus - 110

So, as I mentioned last night everything went down the final result. 7 weeks of competition, 28 H2H's, 56 submissions sorry 54, and everything and I mean the title and the playoffs came down to what @Woody scored. He certainly kept me waiting, just an hour and half were left on the clock when he submitted. Here's a reminder of the permutations:

IF Woody scores less than 110 - Myself and Nucleus are through. Smoggy wins the league phase.

IF Woody scores between 110-122 - Myself and Ian are through. Smoggy wins the league phase.

IF Woody scores between 122-160 - Myself and Ian are through. Foxy wins the league phase.

IF Woody scores between 160-201 - Myself and Ian are through. Smoggy wins the league phase.

IF Woody scores over 202 - Woody and Ian are through. Smoggy wins the league phase.

He went for Western Sydney Wanderers so it's not just all about clean sheets for Woody. 52 league points and an 18 GD makes 70, putting Nuke on the brink and unfortunately for Woody it doesn't look like it'll be enough for him.

And it wasn't. He added 64 bonus points giving him 134, meaning in another twist Foxy steals the top spot from Smoggy at the last hurdle! I also qualify with a win over Woody. And...

It can finally be confirmed that in one of the biggest shocks in vibe history, one of the favourites for this title Nuke is OUT! Absolutely incredible stuff here as an Ian shaped knife is plunged into the back of the Welshman, and after being on -1 point after 2 weeks Ian has pulled off an absolute miracle and we will be seeing him in the playoffs of this competition!

After looking dead and buried last week that marching band of Ian's have risen from the dead and started playing again.

Full list of scores and results

Spoiler

smoggy90 - 202
1759 - 176
samhardy - 174
Foxy - 160
Woody - 134
Mr Tree - 122
DutchTony - 119
Nucleus - 110

Nucleus 0-3 1759

samhardy 2-1 Woody

DutchTony 0-3 smoggy90

Foxy 2-1 Mr Tree

And this is how the final table looks. Absolutely incredible as Nucleus effectively knocks himself out by losing a point, Foxy wins the league and Ian makes the playoffs alongside me. Woody finishes 6th.

League table Wk7.png

Final Thoughts

I would like to thank everybody who has taken part in this year's competition, it's been the closest vibe event I can remember and the fact that it went down to the last result further supports that. It has been a joy to run the event as been made as easy as possible by all the participants.

Due to the fact I have qualified for the playoffs @Ashez has kindly agreed to take over for the semis and the final so I can concentrate on playing it.

The semis will be posted by the Shrewsbury Spearman on Monday coming up. Here's how the second phase looks:

Playoffs Semi.png

That’s why you need to read he rules properly. One little error sees me going from the second highest score of the week to the lowest and out of the competition.

Enjoyed being a part of this competition this year, it’s been a blast. Massive credit to @samhardy for all the challenges he came up with. I know first hand the time and effort that goes into these tournaments 👏🏻

Can’t help but feel sorry for @Nucleushere. It’s a bit of a shithouse way of going through but I can do little about it. I thought I’d done well with the challenge and once I knew about the misreading of the rules fancied I could win the tie but never thought for a second all other results would fall into place too but that’s that.

Wow what a week!!! I thought @samhardy was taking the piss when he told me the final placings of the league table for the graphic.

@Nucleus hard luck mate that is a rough way to end the competition.

@1759 fair play mate you have really picked up the pace with 4 wins in 5 weeks and however you made the playoffs you earned yourself a shot at it and I look forward to our semi final.

@smoggy90 really well played and it’s a bit unlucky that you didn’t top the final table tbf.

@Woody causing drama as usual I see 😛

@DutchTony bad luck this week mate as that was a hell of a score. I think 7 loses is pretty harsh as when you look at it you only had the worst score twice I think so on another occasion you might have got some wins or draws tbf.

@Titjes I’m not sure if I mentioned it at the time but I hope all is ok mate and it’s a shame you weren’t able to finish.

Thanks to Sam for hosting and I look forward with trepidation to what @Ashez has in store for us.

13 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Wow what a week!!! I thought @samhardy was taking the piss when he told me the final placings of the league table for the graphic.

@Nucleus hard luck mate that is a rough way to end the competition.

@1759 fair play mate you have really picked up the pace with 4 wins in 5 weeks and however you made the playoffs you earned yourself a shot at it and I look forward to our semi final.

@smoggy90 really well played and it’s a bit unlucky that you didn’t top the final table tbf.

@Woody causing drama as usual I see 😛

@DutchTony bad luck this week mate as that was a hell of a score. I think 7 loses is pretty harsh as when you look at it you only had the worst score twice I think so on another occasion you might have got some wins or draws tbf.

@Titjes I’m not sure if I mentioned it at the time but I hope all is ok mate and it’s a shame you weren’t able to finish.

Thanks to Sam for hosting and I look forward with trepidation to what @Ashez has in store for us.

I had finished the night before but it was late with me decorating. Got in late from work yesterday so my posting was late. 

Well done though mate.

Wow.......Thank God I didn't enter as my guaranteed play-off place would have meant we'd have missed out on this drama!

@Nucleus The Challenge starts at the reading!!!!!!!! Golden rule!!!!

So what type of challenge do you guys want? Brutal or fun?

@smoggy90 @Foxy @1759 @samhardy

For this round I can be nice and give you a reward, or guarantee you work for that final glory! 😛