Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic How are the old legends doing as managers?

Jens

Hi guys,

I was just reading an article on Bleacher Report about Gerrard still 'having one eye on the title race' with Liverpool and I was wondering; how are the old legends' performances being rated in the UK? Guys like Gerrard, Lampard,... don't get a lot of attention over here and I find very little article actually rating their performances.

So in this thread:

1) How are Gerrard and Lampard perceived?
2) How are other old legends of our favourite game stacking up? Any ones you want to talk about?
3) Can you recommend other blogs/news sites like Bleacher Report where they offer insight rather than just news?

Can’t answer the first two questions but I can the third. 

I read a lot on bleacher report, there’s always something different on there. Personally there’s no other website that comes close to what it delivers. If you are looking for a bit of variation, ESPN is a pretty decent alternative.

14 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

Can’t answer the first two questions but I can the third. 

I read a lot on bleacher report, there’s always something different on there. Personally there’s no other website that comes close to what it delivers. If you are looking for a bit of variation, ESPN is a pretty decent alternative.

I do love B/R too. Only downside is I can't seem to find their interesting articles by visiting their website. I have to 'stumble' upon them via their social media. Any hints for that? 😛 

I get all my takes from podcasts tbf, I read very little football content apart from BBC's. 

Podcasts I'd recommend would be The Football Ramble, which covers mostly the UK and On The Continent which covers Europe. Both are pretty light hearted and funny but I enjoy both alot. 

Lampard has done a bang average job at Derby imo they haven't improved or regressed much at all. With the squad they have they should be doing better, especially with the loans he seems to be "entitled" to but Derby have underperformed for years whichever manager they've had in the dugout.

Can't answer much on Gerrard but I think next season will be the big one for him.

17 minutes ago, Jens said:

I do love B/R too. Only downside is I can't seem to find their interesting articles by visiting their website. I have to 'stumble' upon them via their social media. Any hints for that? 😛 

Download the app 😛

BB4DB8D9-56C7-4F9C-8BC2-887EA1FF926C.thumb.png.f720fc2086c89b04f18df966ae7c99c0.png

You can select which “teams” you want to follow and get subsequent articles on. Teams go as broad as entire channels that cover a whole league mind. Plus you can add the boxing or MMA and the likes if you fancy, even WWE which I follow 😂

1 minute ago, samhardy said:

Lampard has done a bang average job at Derby imo they haven't improved or regressed much at all. With the squad they have they should be doing better, especially with the loans he seems to be "entitled" to but Derby have underperformed for years whichever manager they've had in the dugout.

Can't answer much on Gerrard but I think next season will be the big one for him.

From what I can tell, Gerrard seems to be doing quite good. I was in Scotland in August and media were still very unsure, saying he had a lot to prove, but looking at the ranking, I'd say he's doing quite alright.

What do you mean it'll be the big one for him?

Just now, Jens said:

From what I can tell, Gerrard seems to be doing quite good. I was in Scotland in August and media were still very unsure, saying he had a lot to prove, but looking at the ranking, I'd say he's doing quite alright.

What do you mean it'll be the big one for him?

He'll have had a season to "bed in" when it comes round to next season and with Celtic far from secure and settled especially with the managerial situation it could be an ideal time for Rangers to pounce. If they have a bad season next year I don't think he'll be in the dugout the season after.

I think it’s gone ok for Gerrard so far as when he took the job I wasn’t sure how it’d go as Celtic seemed just too strong. Rangers seem to have closed the gap slightly this season but next season the expectations of the fans will grow and he’ll probably need to get really close to Celtic or as Sam says he’ll be gone. 

Paul Scholes has also had a spell in the dugout at Oldham but that didn’t go to plan at all.

Yeah, I heard something about that as well :D Left Oldham after a month. Not really great managerial talents thos United boys, it seems. Giggsy didn't cope too well either iirc

1 minute ago, samhardy said:

It was Neville who failed yet he still gets a free ride talking shit on the TV every weekend.

Phil is somehow doing well tbf 😛

Gerrard has done a decent job so far I'd say. Took over a shambles of a squad and had to rebuild completely over the summer. Got to the group stages of the Europa League all the way from the first qualifying round. Got us our first win over Celtic in seven years. Disappointing in the cup competitions though, going out at the semi-final and quarter final stages. League results have been a bit inconsistent, as we really struggle to break teams down when they just stick everyone behind the ball. 

Next season after another transfer window, I'm hoping to see a big improvement in our creativity to help against these teams. 

Overall, in his first season in management, he's done okay. Looks like the league title is going to be out of reach this year, but I'm confident he's got the ability to lead us to our next title 👍

In terms of Gerrard, I'd have to agree with Aaron that ultimately he's done okay if not spectacular. The ultra-critical, impatient sections of our support would disagree but there has definitely been a visible improvement at the club both on and off the pitch since he came in, albeit with some patchy moments. A large turnover of players in the Summer is never going to lead to instant success but it was necessary and gives him something to build on for next season where I think we'll be a lot stronger!

So yeah, he's done alright so far but next season needs to be better and he knows that as much as anyone else. I think he'll do well up here in the long run!

Gotta love the majority saying Gerrards done an ok job so far. What ye expecting? For him to win the treble??

Compared to the mess last year hes improved everything, added strengh to every position,  broke Walter Smiths undefeated european record,  when did we last profit £5m??  7years since we've had bragging rights & the way we done it made the unwashed look like a bunch of amateurs...  We knew it was never gonna be an overnight success but now theres stability in the squad & natural born leader managing & inspiring them.

Gerrard 40.jpg.gallery.jpg