• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career The Sequel: Armstrong(er) - Accidental cheating/Career over

giphy.gif 

And I'm bringing an old friend...

tenor.gif

Wait no more, the secret's out: 

1980065621_Screenshot_20190404-213443_FM2019Mobile.jpg.1647bcefd199aceccf34378bb2a7d366.jpg

Adam Armstrong will be returning to Celtic to have another crack at 1000 goals.

He's 2 year older than the last attempt, when he snuck over the line after about 20 seasons... This time however, a) his manager actually knows what he's doing with a 1KC and b) FMM19 is considerably easier than FMM17 was; so it should hopefully be much more straightforward (and less dramatic) than last time...

Note: EME and version 10.1.3 (Pre-Winter). I played half a season with the 10.2.2, but just wasn't enjoying the struggle, so am copping out and using the easier version.

Edited by Scratch
On 02/04/2019 at 19:06, Scratch said:

giphy.gif 

And I'm bringing an old friend...

tenor.gif

*insert sarcastic comment wondering who it could be here*

On 06/04/2019 at 13:57, Gerechtigaids said:

*insert sarcastic comment wondering who it could be here*

You can't really guess unless you're familiar with my past 1KCs. That makes it a choice between Adam Armstrong, Facundo Colidio and Andrea Pinamonti.... There's one of those that's really a contender though! 

@Rob @Woody - Thanks Fellas! You might get a bit bored with this one though, because you've seen it before... First season is turning out a bit different though. 

12 minutes ago, Foxy said:

I missed this when you posted.

Same thing or not your careers are always interesting and it’s good to have you back so I’m looking forward to what you have for us 😁

Thanks mate! I'm actually finding it really interesting to repeat it with a different version and mostly different players (Pavon is back of course). Last time he had Arial of 7 and this time I've already trained him to 20 thanks to FMM19's super easy Arial training feature™️... 

34 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Not Armstrong.

28 minutes ago, Woody said:

Please say its Colidio 😀😀

Sorry to disappoint! 

496268375_Screenshot_20190404-213443_FM2019Mobile.jpg.bb859dab164d38c444dd8d26251e1e5b.jpg

Hmm the other guy who is doing a Armstrong career is using Oko-Flex, who starts at Celtic and now here you are with Adam Armstrong in Celtic... 

Arghh it's all getting too confusing! 

Anyway, good luck mate :)

2 minutes ago, RPA123456 said:

Hmm the other guy who is doing a Armstrong career is using Oko-Flex, who starts at Celtic and now here you are with Adam Armstrong in Celtic... 

Arghh it's all getting too confusing! 

Anyway, good luck mate :)

Thanks! LOL, yes I saw that! But I've already been playing for a week so couldn't do much about it (too late to change). For what it's worth, this is a replay (same player, same team) as my first every 1KC (on FMM17). 

7 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Thanks! LOL, yes I saw that! But I've already been playing for a week so couldn't do much about it (too late to change). For what it's worth, this is a replay (same player, same team) as my first every 1KC (on FMM17). 

Yeah no worries, I remember your 1k!

I am curious about how you'll be going around this however. For my 1k attempt I'm pretty much stuck in a very boring tactic that is pretty much just 90% headers and I hate it. But I picked poorly in that regard, so I'm just wondering how you'll handle your tactic. 

10 minutes ago, RPA123456 said:

Yeah no worries, I remember your 1k!

I am curious about how you'll be going around this however. For my 1k attempt I'm pretty much stuck in a very boring tactic that is pretty much just 90% headers and I hate it. But I picked poorly in that regard, so I'm just wondering how you'll handle your tactic. 

Yeah, this year's game really works for strong headers and sure enough I've trained Adam up to 20 Arial (took 3 training updates, FMM19 is really broken in this regard). So he's started scoring more from headers. He's still scoring other goals too though because he's fast and has decent Shooting and Movement (and Scotland doesn't present strong opposition) .

Now that he's hit peak Arial, I've switched him to Shadow Striker and Shooting. I'm trying to improve his long shots (Marc Vaughan said Shooting is made up of two separate behind the scenes attributes: Finishing and Long Shots). I'm hoping he's be able to score from anywhere! Header from in the box? Check. 40 yard scorcher from midfield? Check... 😄

As for tactic, I'm pretty boring. It's the same 4 3 2 1 that I used for the first attempt, although I've switched up the instructions somewhat (short now instead of direct). I start Defensive and Narrow, then switch to Attacking if that doesn't get me goals (it's worked surprisingly well for me in 19 so far). Two Wingers. Armstrong is playing AF. But I do switch all the instructions around a lot depending on the opposition and the state of the game. 

Edited by Scratch
4 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Yeah, this year's game really works for strong headers and sure enough I've trained Adam up to 20 Arial (took 3 training updates, FMM19 is really broken in this regard). So he's started scoring more from headers. He's still scoring other goals too though because he's fast and has decent Shooting and Movement (and Scotland doesn't present strong opposition) .

Now that he's hit peak Arial, I've switched him to Shadow Striker and Shooting. I'm trying to improve his long shots (Marc Vaughan said Shooting is made up of two separate behind the scenes attributes: Finishing and Long Shots). I'm hoping he's be able to score from anywhere! Header from in the box? Check. 40 yard scorcher from midfield? Check... 😄

As for tactic, I'm pretty boring. It's the same 4 3 2 1 that I used for the first attempt, although I've switched up the instructions somewhat (short now instead of direct). I start Defensive and Narrow, then switch to Attacking if that doesn't get me goals (it's worked surprisingly well for me in 19 so far). Two Wingers. Armstrong is playing AF. But I do switch all the instructions around a lot depending on the opposition and the state of the game. 

Aye solid plan you've got there! 

And that Marc Vaughan quip has me intrigued, does a 20 shooting attribute mean 20 finishing and 20 longshots or is there some weird overflow? Because my guy's got 19 shooting and while he is noted to be clinical in the box, there is nothing about how good his long shots might be... 

12 hours ago, RPA123456 said:

Aye solid plan you've got there! 

And that Marc Vaughan quip has me intrigued, does a 20 shooting attribute mean 20 finishing and 20 longshots or is there some weird overflow? Because my guy's got 19 shooting and while he is noted to be clinical in the box, there is nothing about how good his long shots might be... 

We'll have to wait and see how solid it is! 😄 Working okay so far, but some attributes are lower than I'd like (Decisions, Stamina, Strength) and I don't think he has much development left in him.

Marc Vaughan's comments are in this thread on the SIGames site and he says:

The game displays a slightly 'simplified' view of some of the attributes in the game and behind the scenes they might actually be two attributes which are combined into one for display purposes (mainly because of the size of a mobile phone screen) - so 'Shooting' actually is 'Long Shots' and 'Finishing' behind the scenes, one for long range shooting and the other for close in scoring .... when you train some training regimes are biased slightly more heavily to one or the other when training 'Shooting' ... so a midfield role is more likely to train long-shots heavier than a poacher role etc.

But that's it. No more information than that (that I'm aware of). So there's no way to know how much each is etc. I *think* I've seen some players who weren't that good from long range but had a 19 or so. But really it's all just guessing on my behalf. 

Edited by Scratch
11 hours ago, Nucleus said:

Any plans to draw level with me again this year? 😛

No, not yet. Too far away from FMM20 for me to plan my late run yet. I do still have the Pedro / Beijing save stashed away though and he scores every time he turns around! :P 

Actually Armstrong is way above expectations already. He is 21 so it should be an instant start, and he has developed incredibly quickly, and it is Scotland, but he's definitely 1.5K material, maybe more... So maybe I won't leave it too late this time around..

added 0 minutes later
6 hours ago, Rob said:

This. 

Shh.. don't tell Nukes, but I plan to actually pass him this year. But it's a secret right, just between you and me. 🙂

11 hours ago, 1759 said:

Good luck, I look forward to your first update.😀

Thanks mate! I'm halfway through season 1 now, so should be sometime this week.

8 hours ago, ManlikeReus said:

Ooh another Armstrong arises!

Definately looking forward to it and will see what I can learn from this!

It's always good to see an Armstrong career here! I'll be follow your one too - let's both pass Nukes score! 

Yeah, the 20 Arial thing makes this a LOT easier than last time. Typical game: two goals, one from a corner, one from a cross, both headers. He is scoring other goals too, but he's scoring a lot more than any of my other 1KCs except for the abandoned Pedro in Beijing one (my only other FMM19 one). 

41 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Yeah, the 20 Arial thing makes this a LOT easier than last time. Typical game: two goals, one from a corner, one from a cross, both headers. He is scoring other goals too, but he's scoring a lot more than any of my other 1KCs except for the abandoned Pedro in Beijing one (my only other FMM19 one). 

Ooohh boy! Trust me when I say that's going to get boring real fast. I play on commentary mode now because of how boring its become. 

17 minutes ago, RPA123456 said:

Ooohh boy! Trust me when I say that's going to get boring real fast. I play on commentary mode now because of how boring its become. 

Yeah, it probably will... 🙁

Update - Season 1

So here we are again, Scratch doing another 1KC with Adam Armstrong, and it's at Celtic (again)... Yawn...

Sorry, but when I was looking for a career, this was the only one that excited me. I only just scraped over the line the first time round and Adam is 2 years older now (21!), making it that much harder.

Offsetting that was the fact that I know what I'm doing this time around and that FMM19 seems much easier. In particular, the training system will allow me to shape him the way I want him.

So... How will it turn out this time? Only time will tell.

A Few Notes

It should be noted, I am taking the easy way out and am using the pre-Winter Update version... As I've said elsewhere, this version is really too easy, but while the Winter Update and hotfix make it more challenging, it also sucks the enjoyment out of it for me. I can't play 15 seasons of that.

I reset my achievements before starting, so I'm no longer a superstar manager, I started with no coaching badge and none of the unlockable are available (until I unlock them!). On the coaching badge thing, I made it to Gold just before the end of the season.

armstronger-season01-27.jpg.7cc2abf2bd4b229b4ad09e305d272400.jpg

I never realised that you get updated based on how many achievements you unlock (5 for bronze, 10 for silver, 15 for gold). I was on silver for a long time before realising this, at which point I went and won a game using Direct, won a game using Mixed passing, fined a player and got my Gold badge! Is it only me that didn't know about this?

Transfer Philosophy

I'll start with a couple of important philosophical points:

1. My Scrapbook will remain empty in this career. That's right, after a couple of regen heavy 1KCs, I'm back to my original Armstrong 1KC approach of not targeting regens. I'll probably sign a bunch of them by chance, as I'll try to sign the best youngsters I can find, but I won't be targeting them.

2. I won't be buying players just to sell them and make money. I reserve the right to sell a player without playing him much if I get him to the club and discover he's enigmatic or lazy or disruptive, but apart from that, I'll keep them for at least a season and I'll only sign them if they have a part to play.

I'll still probably buy too many players of course. That goes without saying...

Transfers

With that out of the way... Let's get to the bit where I pull apart the club from top to bottom.

I cashed in on a bunch of players, so I could buy players who would grow into better players than those sold. You can't get established world class players at Celtic (at the beginning), but you can get some fantastic youngsters.

Going out:

Spoiler

armstronger-season01-31.jpg.cd4585ad62a2df6b12954f139dad6123.jpg

armstronger-season01-32.jpg.d62606df800e2c18ac5aa01c37aa36e0.jpg

• Scott Brown: The heart and soul of the club. I almost kept him, but in FMM he will shortly fade away into nothingness like Luke Skywalker. He's played his part.

• Rogic: I was sad to let another Aussie go, but he's not going to take us to the next level, so he had to make way.

• McGregor: He's turned out alright for me in the past, but there's no development in him in this version, so he's in the same category as Rogic.

Coming in:

Spoiler

armstronger-season01-33.jpg.1cb29863d9fea6bb86734ed9c454b8ac.jpg

armstronger-season01-34.jpg.58fadcbdda6e5e7bb3854f8cf273a732.jpg

• Pavon: I think I sign him every single save. He cost more this time around as others wanted him too, but we really need his assists.

• Tonali: He's turned out great for me before, so was one of the first players I targeted.

• Palacios: Ditto.

• Morilla: Ditto.

• Curtis Nelson: Turned out super solid for me in an Oxford United save I was playing around with. Not here for a long time, but a great option until I can level up a bit.

Competitions

We won everything domestically of course. There's no opposition for us in Scotland. We had the league wrapped up by February, that's how cakewalking it was.

Spoiler

armstronger-season01-10.jpg.6b7ef037ca54b53d7f0841d860b2e4fc.jpg

armstronger-season01-28.jpg.60d41ae00e31a5cb756a44912ac5525c.jpg

armstronger-season01-30.jpg.3b67910e951a4b7761522918d8e53541.jpg

As for Europe, we cleared the qualifying round, scraped through the group stages, beat Valencia on away goals, beat Barcelona 4-3 on aggregate (3 goals in the last 30 minutes), then went out on penalties to Real Madrid in the semi. Not bad for a first attempt...

Spoiler

armstronger-season01-20.jpg.d835297e2ec960b564bf3f40a158b20d.jpg
armstronger-season01-23.jpg.ffd685e1547744920cd7baf2c85e21b8.jpg
armstronger-season01-26.jpg.e47ce055925dc24df01c42e9621177c6.jpg

Assists

Who made the goals?

armstronger-season01-35.jpg.0c957106252ceee348748b049a3dc52a.jpg

Pavon lead the way of course, but I was really impressed with youngster Mikey Johnston (who didn't have corner duty except in emergencies).

Player Development

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... Well, an animated gif is worth even more:

armstronger-development.gif.91a7ed3fa7b54a20673521200d4ef6d9.gif

You can see those insane Arial jumps that FMM19 delivers. As I mentioned up above, I had him training as a Target Man and focusing on Arial for the first 3 updates. Once he hit 20 Arial, I switched him to Shadow Striker and Shooting, hoping to increase the long shot ability.

I'm pretty happy where he ended up, although I really want to improve Decisions, Stamina and Strength. Hopefully he has a couple more increments in him, but he hit the "needs to play at a higher level" message after the 4th update. Those Champions League games are critical now.

I used to regularly rest 2017 Armstrong in Champions League games. I was keeping him fresh for games against the lambs instead of wasting him against the lions. I guess I was actually slowing his development... My personal belief is that the training system is largely the same, we just couldn't see it back then.

Also, I played half a season on the Winter Update + hotfix (before restarting) and Winter Armstrong reached the "needs to play at a higher level" message after the 3rd update, rather than the 4th. I think that means I lucked out with this Armstrong and he has a higher PA than the Winter one. I'm pretty sure that 21 year olds still have variable PA at the start, right?

Injuries

Just the one injury this year, for 3 weeks (keeping him out for 7 games):

armstronger-season01-18.jpg.19f7b1392d538ccb047a6070cd02be39.jpg

Could be worse.

Loyalty

Adam got so good he started attracting attention from down south:

armstronger-season01-16.jpg.80fda2007831ee7c34444a74259f5524.jpg

But I just offered him a new contract instead of responding to them and he signed it right away. He's enjoying it here. He said it feels like the right place for him, like he belongs here, almost like he's been through this before and knows we're heading to greatness...

Towards the end of the season, he told me I was his favourite person in the game. This, despite the fact my reputation is only Regional. He knows I'm gonna take him places few can dream of.

Goals

A great start by Adam, 81 goals in 58 games:

armstronger-season01-37.jpg.9e8035ccda0d589db078e9af6a728303.jpg

Could not have asked for more! Probably two thirds of them are headed, which goes to show just how important 20 Arial is in this years game.

Progress

22 (EOY) Season Total
Club Goals 81 81

The Future

By strange co-incidence, 81 goals is the most goals in a season that 2017 Armstrong scored in his whole career. 2019 Armstrong equalling that in the first season seems to be a good omen. I'm thinking it's not going to be nearly as big a struggle as it was the first time around.

Next season? We have to be going for at least 90 if he stays fit. But sooner or later we'll be knocking on the door of 100 goals. It's onwards and upwards from here.

Edited by Scratch

WHAT IS THIS SORCERY! 81 GOALS IN ONE SEASON :OOO THIS AINT IT CHIEF.Genuinely,Nice work mate.Keep up with the goals.Next season 120+ goals? ;)