Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Requesting advice from the experts!

Chris

As a long time FM veteran I am slightly ashamed to be requesting advice. One would think I would have mastered these games by now; and until I joined this site I thought I had! Not to blow my own trumpet (quite the opposite actually) but each year I have had amazing success with my own tactics at all the different levels of the footballing world. So why am I asking for your help? 

I am after a new challenge. You guys have introduced me to a side of FM I never knew existed, with the likes of 1k and striker less challenges, and I want in. The only thing is, my tactics simply aren't on the level required. Sure, I can win the quadruple, season in, season out, with a mediocre team. Winning golden boots with ease, and having my entire team finish with an average rating of 7.5+. No problem. However, the best goals per game I have managed with my front man is just over 1.00. I know this is not bad at all, but I am hoping for some advice from one of the masters to help me increase this to the godly numbers I see from many of you! 

I'm not asking for a tactic, just some advice on my own. If someone is willing to offer some help could you either pm me or post on here. I'll post my team and tactic if anyone wants to help! 

Many thanks! 

Edited by itzChris92

A lot is trail and error but a few pointers of things I do.

• Everything needs to be about the striker. That means the team is working to give him the ball and as little as possible not playing for themselves. Think about player roles and what they are going to do when they get the ball will they look for a pass or will they go for a shot themselves.
  • What sort of striker is he? Is he quick and a good finisher, is he big and strong and will thrive on crosses, even better will he do a bit of everything. Set your team up to play to the strengths of the striker that you plan to use and pick a role to suit as well.
  • Buy the best and most suitable players that you can for your team to complement your striker.
  • Be paitient if you striker is young and follow the Rule of Bati which states that all goals before he turns 20 are a bonus to his total. Once your striker turns 20+ that is when it is time to try and hit the big numbers.

I know these are general tips and nothing specific but I don’t want to give all the answers because trial and error and working it out for yourself is all part of the process and the fun imo.

6 minutes ago, Ashez said:

You could always focus on team based challenges instead of player/goal based ones :)

All this free advice 🤔

Maybe we need to start charging and call it something catchy like the “Supporters Club” 💰💰💰

31 minutes ago, Ashez said:

You could always focus on team based challenges instead of player/goal based ones :)

I plan on that too :) I don't think I'll need so much help with them! 

31 minutes ago, Foxy said:

A lot is trail and error but a few pointers of things I do.

• Everything needs to be about the striker. That means the team is working to give him the ball and as little as possible not playing for themselves. Think about player roles and what they are going to do when they get the ball will they look for a pass or will they go for a shot themselves.
  • What sort of striker is he? Is he quick and a good finisher, is he big and strong and will thrive on crosses, even better will he do a bit of everything. Set your team up to play to the strengths of the striker that you plan to use and pick a role to suit as well.
  • Buy the best and most suitable players that you can for your team to complement your striker.
  • Be paitient if you striker is young and follow the Rule of Bati which states that all goals before he turns 20 are a bonus to his total. Once your striker turns 20+ that is when it is time to try and hit the big numbers.

I know these are general tips and nothing specific but I don’t want to give all the answers because trial and error and working it out for yourself is all part of the process and the fun imo.

Some brilliant tips here, thank you. I respect the comments in the last paragraph, and I have been doing lots of trial and error. I've had the game since it released but just havent trial and errored the right things it would seem.

I also don't have the time that I used to, due to now being a family man. Else I would probably still play the PC version! 

Thank you for the replies again. 

1 hour ago, Foxy said:

• Buy the best and most suitable players that you can for your team to complement your striker

This is so important IMO. 

17 hours ago, itzChris92 said:

As a long time FM veteran I am slightly ashamed to be requesting advice. One would think I would have mastered these games by now; and until I joined this site I thought I had! Not to blow my own trumpet (quite the opposite actually) but each year I have had amazing success with my own tactics at all the different levels of the footballing world. So why am I asking for your help? 

I am after a new challenge. You guys have introduced me to a side of FM I never knew existed, with the likes of 1k and striker less challenges, and I want in. The only thing is, my tactics simply aren't on the level required. Sure, I can win the quadruple, season in, season out, with a mediocre team. Winning golden boots with ease, and having my entire team finish with an average rating of 7.5+. No problem. However, the best goals per game I have managed with my front man is just over 1.00. I know this is not bad at all, but I am hoping for some advice from one of the masters to help me increase this to the godly numbers I see from many of you! 

I'm not asking for a tactic, just some advice on my own. If someone is willing to offer some help could you either pm me or post on here. I'll post my team and tactic if anyone wants to help! 

Many thanks! 

I’m in the same boat of you on this. I can win everything no problem but when it comes to these insane challenges I just can’t get the consistency and goal to game ratio that others seem to. 

One thing I’ve picked up from lurking in countless challenge threads that hasn’t been mentioned here is your supporting players teamwork stat is very important so they’d naturally want to pass the ball to your striker instead of trying to take the glory themselves.

6 hours ago, LenTheWelsh said:

I’m in the same boat of you on this. I can win everything no problem but when it comes to these insane challenges I just can’t get the consistency and goal to game ratio that others seem to. 

One thing I’ve picked up from lurking in countless challenge threads that hasn’t been mentioned here is your supporting players teamwork stat is very important so they’d naturally want to pass the ball to your striker instead of trying to take the glory themselves.

Glad I'm not the only one :P

I do try to only sign players with teamwork of 15 or more really. Also, most, if not all, of my first team players have greens in all their highlighted stats plus the ones I consider to also be important.

Also, I'm not sure if I am just imagining it but I feel that shots in general have been made less accurate in the most recent update. Even with my midfield dominating, and my striker averaging around 12 shots per game, he is struggling to grab 40 goals per season (also worth noting that this is with a short passing game, and work into box selected). This doesn't seem right to me, and it's a shame I can't roll back to a previous version to confirm my suspicions. 

Edited by itzChris92

You've had great answers above and I’m not the best to answer and I only started doing challenges around Christmas time.

Anyway what teams have you been trying goalscoring challenges on? I say this as the team or league you pick can make a big difference. For example I did my only ever 1k a couple of months ago and it was an easier one at PSG and with a decent wonder kid. Now at PSG you play a lot of lesser sides in the league and if you compare that to the EPL where even the lower teams are fairly decent you get a massive difference in difficulty.

1 hour ago, 1759 said:

You've had great answers above and I’m not the best to answer and I only started doing challenges around Christmas time.

Anyway what teams have you been trying goalscoring challenges on? I say this as the team or league you pick can make a big difference. For example I did my only ever 1k a couple of months ago and it was an easier one at PSG and with a decent wonder kid. Now at PSG you play a lot of lesser sides in the league and if you compare that to the EPL where even the lower teams are fairly decent you get a massive difference in difficulty.

My current save is with AS Monaco funnily enough. Just finished my 3rd season and Pellegri is sitting at 112 goals (last season and a half was much better than the first after the good advice I've been receiving). He has just turned 20 now, so we will hopefully see him start to bag more. He is averaging about 10 shots per game with my current tactic but not converting as many as I'd like. I think the latest update is partly to blame. I can't be sure but I think they have made shooting less accurate overall. Some of my old goal scoring tactics are no longer scoring since updating too. 

2 minutes ago, itzChris92 said:

My current save is with AS Monaco funnily enough. Just finished my 3rd season and Pellegri is sitting at 112 goals (last season and a half was much better than the first after the good advice I've been receiving). He has just turned 20 now, so we will hopefully see him start to bag more. He is averaging about 10 shots per game with my current tactic but not converting as many as I'd like. I think the latest update is partly to blame. I can't be sure but I think they have made shooting less accurate overall. Some of my old goal scoring tactics are no longer scoring since updating too. 

Yeah the new update has definitely hit younger players hard and far too hard imo. It makes it difficult to work out how good a younger player is going to be when he gets older. I haven’t tried a 1k since but in the saves I’ve done I’ve noticed my striker suffering more inconsistency. Anyway I wouldn’t give up on that yet as his numbers will only improve from now on. He’s 20 now and from my experience of the new update he might need to be 22 before he’s clsssed by si as a peak aged player.

11 hours ago, itzChris92 said:

Also, I'm not sure if I am just imagining it but I feel that shots in general have been made less accurate in the most recent update. Even with my midfield dominating, and my striker averaging around 12 shots per game, he is struggling to grab 40 goals per season (also worth noting that this is with a short passing game, and work into box selected). This doesn't seem right to me, and it's a shame I can't roll back to a previous version to confirm my suspicions. :P

I have a feeling this could be right based on my experiences pre and post update, and it could be why a number of people say their tactics aren’t working anymore. Reason could be their players aren’t converting their chances like before.