Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career North Vs South: The Race to 1k

North vs South: The Race to 1k

Last year @Rob@Woody and myself did a collab save where we played the same save taking it in turns to play the seasons. The challenge we did was the Converted Winger challenge with the goal of 1k combined goals. It was a fun save that can be found here.

We have decided to revive the concept of a collab save but this time make it more competitive by having two teams competing against each other and add the element of the age old battle between the Nasty North and the Southern Softies.

So as I say we have two teams this year with two Vibers in each team and we will be again playing alternate seasons with the goal of 1000 combined goals but I will explain the challenge a little more after we have met the teams.

The Nasty Northerners

As we all know the North is like a post apocalyptic waste land but I have been able to find two proud northerners who will try and do justice to there homeland.

@Woody: The Potteries Pele may live in Stoke which many would say is the midlands but as far as I’m concerned anything north of Moreton in Marsh is “The North” so he more than qualifies especially as he has family roots in the Newcastle area. Woody is not a man to be messed with and as a teenager he was the leader of a notorious gang in the Potteries area called the Wedgewood Appreciation Society. They used to fight pitched battles with the Emma Bridgwater Bandits using shards of broken pot as weapons but luckily Woody has left those days behind him now he is a responsible family man.

@1759: Joining Woody and make his Collab save debut is the man we all know as Ian despite his real name actually being 1759. As you drive up the A1 and enter Tyne and Wear a huge structure sits looking down on you. It is known as the Angel of the North. 

D15E75FD-13B5-4986-B7B8-BAF62DD52B44.thumb.png.39f4caa4cb50a60eb56da3a0c6ab363b.png

This is a structure shrouded in myth and legend with the Wikipedia page about it spouting some rubbish about the artist Antony Gormley designing it. In fact this structure was made by Ian’s own hands in one night in 1998 and he then carried it from his secret underground workshop just outside Berwick upon Tweed.

No one actually knows why Ian did this and he has remained tight lipped on the subject ever since.

The Southern Softies

It goes without saying that the south is the land of milk and honey, where the sun always shines and everyone is happy. Well the south west anyway where Team South originate from.

@Rob: The Dorset Destroyer will be leading the south on there quest for 1000 goals and he is a man who is no stranger to a quest. Legend had it that a huge bear lived on Brownsea Island just of the coast from Poole and was swimming across to terrorise the local peasants. They called upon the help of the local hero Sir Robert of Vibe who armed just with his mobile phone ventured onto the island and spent 7 days and nights living there in the hope of slaying the beast. No one actually knows if Sir Rob managed to rid the island of the Bear but he did manage to complete 15 attempts at the Strikerless Challenge during that time.

@Foxy: Little is known about this mysterious canine that lives in the darkest reaches of Gloucestershire but roving reporter 1759 has spent some time looking for more information on him.

Partnering Rob is the ‘Gloucestershire Gladiator’ Foxy who is a proud Gloucestershire man whose main hobby other than FMM is actually training for and taking part in The Cooper’s Hill Cheese-Rolling and Wake event that takes place annually on the spring bank holiday at Cooper’s Hill near Gloucester.

559E6FEF-BF44-40D3-9B4E-9E55BF8119C0.jpeg.a193ab9da1ee6500845f95bc0af9df73.jpeg

Basically a lump of cheese is rolled from the top of a hill and the participants then chase after it down the hill with the first person to get to the bottom winning the cheese.

Unfortunately a lot of injuries occur at the event but Foxy is one of a select few participants to actually not ever suffer an injury although he has never came anywhere near to winning the event but as Foxy says ‘it’s the taking part that counts’.

The Challenge 

As the name of this thread suggests this is a race to 1000 goals between the two teams but this isn’t a 1kc. Each season both teams will be using a different striker with the goal to get as many goals as possible with that player in 1 season. Then the save passes over the other team mate who must sell or demote that striker and buy a new one. The winning team will be the one that reaches a combined total of 1000 goals from these striker in the least number of games.

That isn’t the complete story though as each team can only use a nationality once in the whole save for there striker and if another team uses a player then that player can’t be used again by either teams. So for example in season 1 The North buy Messi that means the South couldn’t use Messi at any point and the North cannot use another Argentine striker during the save. The south could still use an Argentine though so long as they haven’t already. We also won’t be using any regens and in season 1 the striker needs to be brought in.

The Clubs

We wanted to manage teams that were evenly matched in terms of budget, squad, facilities and weren’t necessarily superpowers in there league. We also wanted to play in a league none of us have managed in much this year so we choose Germany and some debate.

Both teams we will be managing are in the Europa League so plenty of games in season 1.

The North: They will take the more northern team from the duo we picked and will be managing RB Leipzig.

The South: The Southerners will be managing Eintracht Frankfurt.

Both saves are identical with the top divisions of Germany, England, Spain and Portugal loaded and we have gold coaching badges with normal rep.

I think that covers everything except that season 1 will be played by Woody and Rob.

All four of us are looking forward to this as it is shaping up to be a fun save and competition. Which team will you be backing?

Thanks for reading and all comments are appreciated.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

Once myself and @Foxy storm to victory in this I plan to build a wall to keep those smelly Northerners away

I was wondering who’d be the first to lower the tone and I hope everyone realises which team it came from😛

51 minutes ago, 1759 said:

I was wondering who’d be the first to lower the tone and I hope everyone realises which team it came from😛

Yep, first... cos that's where we will be finishing. 😁 

19 minutes ago, Foxy said:

I'm with @Rob Trump!!!

The Romans got it nearly right they just put it in the wrong place.

I'm getting the Trump haircut for this whole challenge. Going to join me?

14 hours ago, Ashez said:

Replaced in a matter of hours 😭😭😭😭😭

Good luck lads!

I had had a few drinks and @Rob flashed me his winning smile and his 8 inch Samsung tablet so how could I resist.

On 25/06/2019 at 18:57, Titjes said:

Looks like a fantastic idea guys. Following this for sure :)

Good luck all ;)

On 25/06/2019 at 19:14, Gunners Rishi said:

What he said 

On 26/06/2019 at 02:14, Ran7777 said:

Good luck to all participants😜😜

1 hour ago, Chazza111 said:

This is excellent!

Cheers lads.

I think both @Rob and @Woody have finished there first seasons so I’m sure there will be updates soon.

52 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Cheers lads.

I think both @Rob and @Woody have finished there first seasons so I’m sure there will be updates soon.

Can I ask how you have done a Collab save?

6 minutes ago, Chazza111 said:

Can I ask how you have done a Collab save?

Once one of us has finished our season we then send the save file to our teammate using Dropbox and then they have there go before sending it back.

2 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Once one of us has finished our season we then send the save file to our teammate using Dropbox and then they have there go before sending it back.

Oh ok, where do you load it up. Just thinking of doing something similar with my friend

3 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Out of interest is that what pirates mean when they talk about sending a link?

3 minutes ago, Chazza111 said:

Oh ok, where do you load it up. Just thinking of doing something similar with my friend

We upload the save file on Dropbox and then send the link so that the other guy can download it.

If you need some more help just drop me a PM.

North Update: Season One.

Welcome all to the 1st season of the North V South challenge.

As you all may know by now me and my esteemed colleague @1759 have been placed in charge of caffeine addicts Redbull Leipzig.

We both decided that i would take the the plunge 1st and after alot of left field though i went for a young Scot who had the world at his feet at one stage but who has enjoyed a spell in Germany in the past.

My converted winger of choice would be...

Screenshot_2019-06-27-21-34-44.thumb.png.5199bfe08d128eea65c2911a362f6fc5.png

A player from last years challenge Oliver Burke.

---------------------------

As season one is essentially squad building i tried to get in as much quality as possible.

Trying to get youth in the process as to aid the development of the squad in the future and to give Ian a sound starting block.

Screenshot_2019-06-27-21-26-19.thumb.png.a404d78f44e7558e14e705b2ae64925c.png

Screenshot_2019-06-27-21-26-24.thumb.png.ecf4f543403ea0dc44bf0c73239ddc17.pngScreenshot_2019-06-27-21-26-31.thumb.png.3878621d9666b8ccc4c88b87e428bfce.png

hopefully Ian wont be too upset i sold Werner but we needed cash.

Notice no Burke on that list as due to the signing loaned players bug.

Screenshot_2019-06-27-21-34-32.thumb.png.559caff60a788a1304225eefbefc9f62.png

Screenshot_2019-06-27-21-34-19.thumb.png.8fd5d85d3ceeb161392611c0337c415e.png

We did sign him for £33m.

----------------------------------

As far as cup competitions go we were awful domestically but Europe was a different venture altogether.

We flew through to the final where we came up against Spaniards Villareal.

Screenshot_2019-06-27-21-23-44.thumb.png.a748851e9012bed8397c9a768666957f.png

A fantastic win for us. Which gives Ian champions cup football next season.

-----------------------

The league campaign was a strange one for various reasons.

Im not one for escuses and when im crap im crap!

But......this update has been a pain in my arse and has effected my performance. I struggled from game dot to have a settled 1st 11 due to fitness issues.

We ended the season in a reasona le position but nowhere near where i wanted us to be.

Screenshot_2019-06-27-21-24-07.thumb.png.f80dbafff03f8c7dcba9a44bfff59d99.png

Hugely disappointed in our finish and our goals tally was really amateur to say the least.

So how did Burke get on in our 1st season.

Well he only managed 45 games in total as his fitness prohibited more games.

He did train up as a striker though.

Screenshot_2019-06-27-21-24-19.thumb.png.ef5add63b8753d4b5da52049205d4ece.png

So due to lack of games and in game fitness issues Burke ended the season with just 34 goals!!!

Screenshot_2019-06-27-22-07-45.thumb.png.dde0a14ae999e5351555f3da220dae6f.png

So a largely disappointing finish but the save passes on to Ian now who i have the upmost faith in having a far better season.

Thanks for reading our 1st update and hopefully a much needed improvement in my 2nd turn.

North

Season 1 - Woody: Oliver Burke - Scotland: 34 goals in 46 games

Total so far: 34 goals in 46 games

South

Season 1 - Rob: ?

Peace out ✌

Solid first season Woodster, and I totally agree it’s much harder than you think. You have made some great signings too.

Our job is to lay the groundwork for @1759 and @Foxy to build on. In fact, any good score from them following our first seasons should be 100% credited to us. 😭

Edited by Rob
1 hour ago, Rob said:

Solid first season Woodster, and I totally agree it’s much harder than you think. You have made some great signings too.

Our job is to lay the groundwork for @1759 and @Foxy to build on. In fact, any good score from them following our first seasons should be 100% credited to us. 😭

Your right mukka 😂

Season One - The Beautiful South

90CAA3E8-E415-4B79-8D41-6D417B202AA4.thumb.jpeg.5fc9353c7e02223022262d748a2433a4.jpeg

The first season was always going to be the hardest in this. A new team, with a squad not built for multiple competitions... especially when factoring in the stupid conditioning issue.

So I boarded the bus to Frankfurt with three key objectives:

⁃    Grow the squad with fresh youngsters;
    ⁃    Get in to the Champions League,
    ⁃    Try and improve the staff, training facilities, etc

Taking of strikers, I opted to go with a Malian. Moussa Marega joined us.

E3F0B242-1BAC-43B1-BE14-E2153D38B2A5.thumb.jpeg.2cb88687f0d62a19743fa6fd0b8f7f16.jpeg

Some greens in good areas and from a nation that isn’t one of the obvious ones, especially when you consider that, at 27, he is in his prime.

I signed Jovic using his buyout and then sold for a profit. I wanted the money to grab the players needed to grow the depth of the squad and pay for club improvements.

0A6CC2F8-7136-42C7-9EDA-2FD8EF4C6FDA.thumb.jpeg.1d557cf66eaf734fd5076df730efc2ac.jpeg

Vagnoman came in to strengthen cover for fullback and should be useful in a season or two. Pavon, Palacios, Rajkovic, and McKenna are most of our FMM favourites. Luan provides cover in many positions. Zarzana holds a special place in my heart and will hopefully replicate his beastliness from another of my careers.

A6AAA25F-8C60-4FE4-8EAE-EFAD33EBDB8F.thumb.jpeg.fb7a21f439d904fb952de0ae3d30be3f.jpeg

Some of the older players left. No one major. The screen seems to have glitched with Hrgota... typical SI. I can assure you we didn’t sell him twice.

Our first tournament was the German Supercup, where we faced the mighty Bayern.

CD66BE5F-2025-41AA-933C-D5D697EBA601.thumb.jpeg.12a7f2948009e227021d2865eb0f4cb2.jpeg

We burgled them, with Marega picking their pockets in a 1-0 victory.

By Christmas the team hit a nice patch in the league. Winning a good percentage of games, but not exactly pulling up trees. This game was fun though:

CE974F91-A2D9-43B7-99DD-7753C5B4683B.thumb.jpeg.6709b4d3cba6f852b57046affa30a86c.jpeg

Sadly, in April we got utterly trounced in the German Cup.

F103AAF5-4513-433C-80E3-7670A357DF1F.thumb.jpeg.2ebb628dd9f0d25c245ad783a6537172.jpeg

Not even one shot! By this point of the season squad depth was playing a major factor and I was pretty much having to play the reserves in Cup competitions... and our reserves aren’t that great yet!

A decent run the Euro Cup got us to the semis, where sadly United knocked us out over two legs.

0B794F28-178E-4FCF-B398-0D2661A6935D.thumb.jpeg.09b68f0ae9977485d77ee0d9c996706b.jpeg

Now, of my three targets, I do feel like the squad is now much fresher and we did manage to earn a place in the Champs League.

29C56D84-59E9-4DC4-8656-77F4FE47B524.thumb.jpeg.62dbab803496361a36bcc7d758455d64.jpeg

A good third place finish, winning half of our games. We didn’t actually score that many, mind you. @Woody had the same issue.

The third target of improving staff and facilities was only half complete, as the staff is now all gold but the board will not budge on improving anything. Hopefully the season two review of the club that the board does at the start will sort this out for @Foxy and allow him to invoke improvements.

On to Marega’s goals. He managed 53 in 49, which I am delighted with considering how tough first seasons usually are on here. Hopefully I have left the Fox with good foundations to build on for Season Two. 

B6B2A559-4CB2-427D-A5BB-75C7F636C590.thumb.jpeg.59ff123c7c6a97f90166410d503dacd8.jpeg6BFA481F-F339-4EE4-A61E-F2D7F64D9D91.thumb.jpeg.5761cd8ae67ce6369b2aeea07d4beb99.jpeg

North

Season 1 - Woody: Oliver Burke - Scotland: 34 goals in 46 games
Total so far: 34/46

South

Season 1 - Rob: Moussa Marega. 53 goals in 49 games.
Total so far: 53/49

Overall

Score: North 34 - South 53

Combined nationalities used (A-Z):

Mali, Scotland

Over to @1759 and the Fox for season 2.

Just now, Chazza111 said:

Good work @Rob, I’m from Southampton so cheering you on all the way, and a strong start

Thanks for the support. Not far from me.