Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help About Counter Attack Football Roles?

Hello everyone,

I wonder which player roles is suitable for counter-attacking football? For example in midfield Bwm or Cm or Dlp ? Which positions in defence,midfield and forward are suitable?

Not sure about counterattack tactics as I'm a possession based tactics guy but I'm pretty sure that AP suits CA tactics while also use either overload or counter mentality. For defence I suggest using high pressure to retain the ball more often and of course fast tempo

6 hours ago, un4givenn said:

Woow! The biggest "Fm Forum" but there is one answer. Just one.

It might be because most forum user here didn't use the counterattack tactics as most of them are doing goalscoring challenges

I think @Lord Danish is right most people don’t play in an out right counter attacking way. I think most people are looking to score lots of goals and dominate the ball. A look at the tactics index shows you this.

https://fmmvibe.com/forums/topic/42193-fmm19-tactics-index/

The other reason you may not have many responses is because counter attacking doesn’t seem to be that effective as a long term tactic.

I have experimented with making some counter tactics and they have never been that effective. The counter mentality really is just a more defensive mentality than balanced but not as defensive as the contain or defensive mentalities. This coupled with a faster tempo, deeper line, less pressing and more direct passing should give a more counter attack style but the game doesn’t seem to give you that in an effective way. That is even when I have bought some real top players or players that would suit counter attacking.

What it doesn’t seem to do is make the team any more likely to break quickly when they win the ball and hit teams on the counter. Simply I have found that attacking teams dominate you and usually find a goal from somewhere and smaller teams play defensively and you get a borefest on your hands.

On a short term or individual game basis I think it can work but I’m not sure it is a viable long term tactic tbh but I hope I’m wrong. I haven’t totally given up on making a counter tactic and revisit it from time to time but it is always frustrating when I go back.

2 hours ago, Foxy said:

I think @Lord Danish is right most people don’t play in an out right counter attacking way. I think most people are looking to score lots of goals and dominate the ball. A look at the tactics index shows you this.

https://fmmvibe.com/forums/topic/42193-fmm19-tactics-index/

The other reason you may not have many responses is because counter attacking doesn’t seem to be that effective as a long term tactic.

I have experimented with making some counter tactics and they have never been that effective. The counter mentality really is just a more defensive mentality than balanced but not as defensive as the contain or defensive mentalities. This coupled with a faster tempo, deeper line, less pressing and more direct passing should give a more counter attack style but the game doesn’t seem to give you that in an effective way. That is even when I have bought some real top players or players that would suit counter attacking.

What it doesn’t seem to do is make the team any more likely to break quickly when they win the ball and hit teams on the counter. Simply I have found that attacking teams dominate you and usually find a goal from somewhere and smaller teams play defensively and you get a borefest on your hands.

On a short term or individual game basis I think it can work but I’m not sure it is a viable long term tactic tbh but I hope I’m wrong. I haven’t totally given up on making a counter tactic and revisit it from time to time but it is always frustrating when I go back.

This is very true as I've tried counterattack last season with Burnley rebuild for half a season and finish mid table.

Changed to high pressing, possession based 41221

brought me 1UCL, 1 UEL, 2PL, 3Carabao, 2FA and Treble in first season

Counter attacks are automatically triggered in game anyway, so realistically the counter mentality is meaningless.

added 0 minutes later

There are instructions that can help increase the frequency of the automatic counters but as @Foxy said, it’s realy not worth it