Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help How to adjust wage structure when promoting

I'm playing Crewe in EFL2.  Currently at the top of the league.  I'm getting a bit ahead of myself with this question as I may not promote, but I want to be prepared.

I've read a lot of articles about Wage Structures in the full FM game.  I assume, as I've never played it, that there is an actual wage structure function in the full game. 

Since I'm trying to keep my tight budget on the positive side, I've attempted to create a spreadsheet with a wage structure.  It is really just the max wage the board will allow me, set as the max wage I can give a key player, and then £500 less for First Team, then £500 less again for Rotation, and so forth.

My question is, how do I adjust this for promotion.  Obviously my wage and transfer budget should go up and I should be able to adjust it as needed.  However, I also assume the wages by status will grow more for Key players and First Team as wages increase.  For example, most of the online examples are Tier 1... and those wage structures are not a linear £500 difference like mine. 

Here is what I've built my spreadsheet on, a Tier 1 wage structure that is more exponential between squad status.

wages-1.png

(image from https://www.thehighertempopress.com/2017/05/guide-transfers-wages-squad-structure/#respond)

Any suggestions on how to grow the wage structure when promoted is appreciated.

Thanks!

I can’t help but think that you are slightly overcomplicating things here.

The game gives you your budget in the finance section as below and you can click the adjust budget button at the bottom to alter it from transfers to wages. It even shows you the maximum wage you can offer a player.

88C47B92-3ED9-41E4-8153-CCD8CEF86EBE.thumb.png.de5eb1218e7247d3e9d100a8a27ac060.png

You can of course go over your wage budget if you offer too high wages to a few players at once but generally the game handles your budget quite well.

If you want to ask the board for more budget as well as other things you can do so in the board request section of the managers area as below.

86EE5B2D-37C6-40AE-B86B-265214CA7BB6.thumb.png.048fcde02b11dfdf5263031ca9ae9dfc.png

Thanks, Ian.

I realize my making a spreadsheet outside of that game is overcomplicating things, however, I may have confused the question I was asking.  I have seen the finance section and know how to adjust the budgets between wage and transfers.  I was talking more along the lines of keeping player wages based on status at reasonable levels after a promotion.

For instance, my max wage from the board right now is 3.1K and my highest-paid player is 2.4K.  I assume that when I promote the board will increase the maximum wage I can offer and that I will need to bring in some players at higher wages.  But I don't want to hurt myself by bringing in a Backup player that is demanding Key Player wages.  So I thought establishing limits for myself would give me a guideline.... I just don't really know how to re-evaluate my guidelines when I move from EFL2 to EFL1.  It may just be an experience or trial and error sort of thing.

As an aside, I've noticed that the transfer spending and transfer income must be rounded or recalculated in-game differently than normal maths.  I had 55K in spending and bought a player for 130K, but my in-game total spending is now 180K, not the 185K that calculates too.  Likewise, I had 95K in income, sold two players for a combined total of 320K, but my in-game transfer income is 425K, not the 415K that actually adds up to.  I'm not sure what the game is doing.  All that to say, if the game is doing some unseen maths, my spreadsheets won't be accurate.

Thanks!

The mobile game is pretty basic really when it comes to wages (at least in my experience). You might be expecting more from it than it actually does! 🙂

As far as wages go, I always keep them as low as possible and wait until the player asks for an increase, even if we've just gotten promoted. They will generally ask after they get a run in the team after they've levelled up a bit - most likely if their reputation, which is hidden, increases. I don't think that promotion makes a huge difference, other than in increasing their reputation.

They don't seem to care what other players are on. You can give that backup player 100K and your main striker will be happy to stay on 3K until he feels he's earned a rise (because his reputation has improved).

The amount you can offer in wages also seems to be related to reputation, this time of the club and to a lesser extent the league they are in. And budget too, you need to have enough money, but the board will limit how much you can spend even if you have a huge excess. When you get promoted you can offer more, although I think that's because your club's reputation has improved rather than the fact you were promoted by itself. I could be wrong though.

The reputation of the league does come into it at some point. For eg, I built Celtic to a 5 star reputation club, winning the Champions League every year, and I had 2B sitting in the bank, and the board still wouldn't let me pay a sign-on fee of more than 1.2M.

If I start a new game as Newcastle, I can offer a sign-on fee of 2.2M right off the bat, even though the club's reputation is on 3.5 stars. I'll be able to offer more as I improve the reputation of the club (by winning, increasing the capacity of the stadium etc), but the starting point is that much higher in England than Scotland. I don't believe it is related to the actual board, or Newcastle would only offer a packet of chips as a sign on fee, no way they'd offer 2.2M. 😢

Note: I'm talking about sign-on fees here, but the principle is the same with wages themselves. 

As for the numbers (wages, transfer fees, etc), the game actually stores a different amount and rounds what you see. If a player shows as costing 130K on the game screen, the actual value stored in the database could be 127,760 or 132,230 etc. It's a little strange that they don't just store nice round numbers to keep it simple, but I'm building a scouting tool and that's what I found in the DB as I pulled it apart. I don't think there's anyway for your spreadsheets to be accurate because of that, sorry. 🙁

11 hours ago, Mr Tree said:

great couple of posts this morning, @Scratch- thanks for taking the time to share the knowledge :) 👍

Thanks @Mr Tree - although, that's just what believe based on what I've seen. May not be correct. Hopefully others will jump in if they've seen something different or believe something else. 😄

Thanks, @Scratch for the insights.  Your input will definitely change the way I'm using my spreadsheet... to less of something I expect to be accurate and more to something that I'll use to just have an idea of how transfers will impact my budgets while hopefully in the black (or green in-game).  The original intent of the spreadsheet was just to be something easier to see loads more information without having to swipe from screen to screen on the tablet.  I just started adding more and more til it started causing more questions than answers.

Thanks, also, for the information on wages.  So much of the information available online is about the PC game, it is hard to know what is or isn't actually in FMM.  While I expected wages (and budgets in general) to be less complicated, I wasn't sure how much budgets in FMM were like what I read about FM. 

I look forward to your scouting tool.

Edited by bumgarb
On 11/07/2019 at 23:22, bumgarb said:

I'm playing Crewe in EFL2.  Currently at the top of the league.  I'm getting a bit ahead of myself with this question as I may not promote, but I want to be prepared.

I've read a lot of articles about Wage Structures in the full FM game.  I assume, as I've never played it, that there is an actual wage structure function in the full game. 

Since I'm trying to keep my tight budget on the positive side, I've attempted to create a spreadsheet with a wage structure.  It is really just the max wage the board will allow me, set as the max wage I can give a key player, and then £500 less for First Team, then £500 less again for Rotation, and so forth.

My question is, how do I adjust this for promotion.  Obviously my wage and transfer budget should go up and I should be able to adjust it as needed.  However, I also assume the wages by status will grow more for Key players and First Team as wages increase.  For example, most of the online examples are Tier 1... and those wage structures are not a linear £500 difference like mine. 

Here is what I've built my spreadsheet on, a Tier 1 wage structure that is more exponential between squad status.

wages-1.png

(image from https://www.thehighertempopress.com/2017/05/guide-transfers-wages-squad-structure/#respond)

Any suggestions on how to grow the wage structure when promoted is appreciated.

Thanks!

What I do is look at the average wage of the squad then have a quick look at the wages of the players in the division above and decide how far I'm willing to go from the average wage of the squad