Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help My team is so good and yet they're failing so bad!!

Hi this is my first post here but I have been playing FMM for 2 years now, with FMM18 and FMM19, and I have been using this "all out attack" tactic ever since I started FMM19 pretty much, and it has served me well, achieving 5 1st places in as many years and winning promotion from the National League North, the worst playable league in the game, to the Premier Division, being very successful along the way too. However last season when I eventually reached the Premier Division I came 10th, which for the squad I had then was impressive, but now in my second season, I have failed to replicate the success of last season, and despite being in 8th position in the league, my team is pretty much all 4/5 stars and in player quality at least I'm pretty sure we are the best team in the world, though I'm not sure. So my question is, why am I not in the top 3? I have the squad and money to do so, nearly £100m and a ridiculous wage budget.

My team is young as you can see, with the average age around 22, and although it has been much younger as I have ascended the leagues I don't think that's too much of a problem because it has never been before. 

So now to my question. What tactic should I be using with the team I have? I currently have a 4-2-3-1 but most of my players can play in at least 3 more positions than the ones I have them in on the screenshots. Also, I'm not too keen on 5 or 3 at the back tactics because then I find it sometimes nullifies the effect of the wingers, who I have as either APs or IFs depending on opposition. Also, I'm worried that I rely too heavily on the striker to score goals, and even though he has 19 in 22 If he gets injured the rest of the team except from Rodas when played as a striker are poor goalscorers.

Please help! 

Any more info and I'll try to give.

Screenshot_20190816-142142_FM 2019 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-142157_FM 2019 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-142213_FM 2019 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-142312_FM 2019 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-142323_FM 2019 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-142316_FM 2019 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-142327_FM 2019 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-142330_FM 2019 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-142338_FM 2019 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-142344_FM 2019 Mobile.jpg

It’s tricky because you seem to have done really well. I see you’ve got ap’s out wide but just looking at the roles they can play I can’t help but think that the inside forward role might be better for them and they might then add a bit more goal threat. If your striker is a strong target man type then it can be good to use the wide areas to try and get some crosses in. I’ve mentioned inside forwards for your wide players but if they have good crossing then you could try them as wingers but inside forwards should be ok as looking at your full backs I’d probably give them a try as wing backs as it seems as if they could play the role. Your midfield could be ok depending on the players as if they are all round types with decent positioning and tackling then fine but if not you’ll probably be lacking defensive strength there with only two players there. I see Neves is the DLP so he should be ok but not sure on the other guy. If you go with some of my other advice then three in there might be better.

I’d be tempted to knock the creative freedom up to balanced or maybe even expressive as it seems your boys are great players. I don’t personally like the high defensive line as I’ve found it to really tire the players out but I do like the high closing down and tackling but again it can be a negative for fitness at times so I’ve been using it occasionally and at other times just knocking them back to balanced. 

In terms of final third I’d look at your striker and if he’s got good pace and movement I’d keep the through ball but if not then I’d drop that personally as it could lead to wasted balls. I’m also not too keen on direct passing especially as it seems you have a good team so I’d be trying mixed or even my favourite short. 

Just some things based on how I approach the game. It’s not the right answer as there’s plenty of ways to be successful and everyone plays differently. 

I would say try change some roles like AP to W and midfielders to CMs and also the T to either AM or AP and finally change the DFB to FB

The instructions like Creative Freedom and Width should be put on Balance while Defensive line on balanced to

The trough ball would suits a Poacher more than a Target Man as I would put it on early cross and also passing in mixed area with short style is going to create some more scoring chances for a TM

2 hours ago, Ian said:

It’s tricky because you seem to have done really well. I see you’ve got ap’s out wide but just looking at the roles they can play I can’t help but think that the inside forward role might be better for them and they might then add a bit more goal threat. If your striker is a strong target man type then it can be good to use the wide areas to try and get some crosses in. I’ve mentioned inside forwards for your wide players but if they have good crossing then you could try them as wingers but inside forwards should be ok as looking at your full backs I’d probably give them a try as wing backs as it seems as if they could play the role. Your midfield could be ok depending on the players as if they are all round types with decent positioning and tackling then fine but if not you’ll probably be lacking defensive strength there with only two players there. I see Neves is the DLP so he should be ok but not sure on the other guy. If you go with some of my other advice then three in there might be better.

I’d be tempted to knock the creative freedom up to balanced or maybe even expressive as it seems your boys are great players. I don’t personally like the high defensive line as I’ve found it to really tire the players out but I do like the high closing down and tackling but again it can be a negative for fitness at times so I’ve been using it occasionally and at other times just knocking them back to balanced. 

In terms of final third I’d look at your striker and if he’s got good pace and movement I’d keep the through ball but if not then I’d drop that personally as it could lead to wasted balls. I’m also not too keen on direct passing especially as it seems you have a good team so I’d be trying mixed or even my favourite short. 

Just some things based on how I approach the game. It’s not the right answer as there’s plenty of ways to be successful and everyone plays differently. 

Ok thanks very much for your advice, would you recommend that I keep the formation or switch it up a bit? As you can see I'm very inconsistent in the league and struggling to strike up a winning tactic, because with those players, and some that I have just got back from loan spells, I should be aiming for top 3 to be honest. Also, I know IFs score more goals, but if I switch to them, will my striker get as much service? And if I did play IFs, would I be better focusing the passing straight down the middle? Thanks again.

My personal opinion is switch your striker to AF and have an AP behind him. I don’t tend to use AP’s our wide so I can’t comment on them, I’d either use IF/W. Then maybe switch your fullbacks to either FB or WB, but everyone has different success with each save. So trail a couple of different things.

You’ve had success with your current tactic so you might just to make a little changes here and there.

1 hour ago, David_1276 said:

Ok thanks very much for your advice, would you recommend that I keep the formation or switch it up a bit? As you can see I'm very inconsistent in the league and struggling to strike up a winning tactic, because with those players, and some that I have just got back from loan spells, I should be aiming for top 3 to be honest. Also, I know IFs score more goals, but if I switch to them, will my striker get as much service? And if I did play IFs, would I be better focusing the passing straight down the middle? Thanks again.

The inside forwards should still supply as I find they seem to go central like the wide ap’s but a touch further forward and will be more keen to get up into the box at times. If I went with wing backs and inside forwards out wide I’d personally prefer a three in midfield but that’s just my preference. I’ve used a BBM, DLP, AP set up in centre midfield to good effect but it depends on your players really. The BBM in particular I like to have great physical attributes including pace if possible. A lot depends on your forward as if he has pace at 15+ and good shooting and movement I’d have him as an advanced forwards or poacher myself.

In terms of the passing focus I tend to use mixed most of the time but if during a game I notice the wing backs losing possession of the ball out wide then I switch it to centre and it helps. It usually happens with weaker teams as good quality players can play themselves out of poor positions more easily.

Another thing I’ve noticed is you mentioned your team has an average age of 22 so I’d be looking at their leadership numbers as that attribute tends to increase with age and it can make a big difference. If you have a lot of players with low leadership then you might start to see things like late comebacks against you and generally conceding poor goals.