Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics Tree's very simple but effective 4-2-2-2

Mr Tree

Just wanted to record this - it's obviously not amazing or innovative - I'm quite conservative and get easily put off experimenting by one or two bad results!

I've won Champions Leagues with Dunfermline and Anderlecht playing like this:

1712183124_Screenshot_20190818-120634_FM2019Mobile.thumb.jpg.d0721572eebef9eb486bb9bee5cbe43b.jpg

1583491295_Screenshot_20190818-120640_FM2019Mobile.thumb.jpg.30d7d35a6fa53ebb190fb37db21bb191.jpg

1708372534_Screenshot_20190818-120646_FM2019Mobile.thumb.jpg.0f76835a0979d4ee00494d9337373a84.jpg

Actually, my Anderlecht team, super-dominant domestically, now uses WB on both sides plus SK keeper.

I don't mind both CB's being BPD, or just one, whatever, depending on personnel.

And up front, I generally use TM and P, but it's worked with two TM's too. I don't think two P's work - I would put the stronger one as TM...

I tend to keep them Disciplined until the success comes, then switch to Balanced.

And finally, I generally switch to Short passing when the squad gets good enough. But Mixed can be effective too, so I've been happy leaving it like that for my Anderlecht team.

If I'm chasing a goal...

Step 1 - put "Early crosses" and "Shoot on sight" on

Step 2 - turn on all the defensive options except Time Wasting (obv). So defensive line High, closing All Over, Committed tackling plus Offside Trap.

Step 3 - go to Overload. But I've been going away from this, don't really find it effective.

If I'm 3-0 up I tend to switch to Control, Expressive, Sit Back, and Run at defence and Shoot on sight.

And if I'm hanging on, I'll change the full backs to DFB, the poacher to DF, and maybe the AP to BBM or BWM. But I rarely bother these days - I've had challenges where I've been chasing goals and generally, attack does prove to be a pretty good form of defence.

Any questions just let me know, but I guarantee with good recruitment, this is an effective tactic.

Edited by Mr Tree
27 minutes ago, AndersJ said:

Hello @Mr Tree

did you test the tactic with some teams in the first 1-2 seasons?

Yep, I've used this the whole time in my current career posted on here - finished 2nd first season in Belgium, then won every year since, plus 3x CL in 6 seasons

If you dont mind me asking how successful have you been with this? I play 4-2-2-2 frequently in the league but find it fairly inneffective in the CL. Also my team is pretty much all 4/5 stars with good stats, and my wingers are fast and super tricky so should i put creative freedom to expressive? Thanks.

1 hour ago, YaboyBWA said:

So WB or FB on both sides? 

FB. I've only just started using WB recently, because of the players I have, but FB was very successful for a long time.

39 minutes ago, David_1276 said:

If you dont mind me asking how successful have you been with this? I play 4-2-2-2 frequently in the league but find it fairly inneffective in the CL. Also my team is pretty much all 4/5 stars with good stats, and my wingers are fast and super tricky so should i put creative freedom to expressive? Thanks.

Yeah mentioned I won champs leagues with Dunfermline and Anderlecht, plus numerous promotions. Check out some of my careers here - a lot of seasons played with this formation.

I'm surprised it doesn't get picked apart, and occasionally I get overrun in midfield, but generally I cause them more problems than they cause me, and it seems well balanced.

I personally don't like starting Expressive - I've found Disciplined to be very effective, but then I take the reins off (move it up to Balanced) when my players are awesome, don't want to restrict them too much.

Edited by Mr Tree
19 hours ago, AndersJ said:

Hello @Mr Tree

did you test the tactic with some teams in the first 1-2 seasons?

oh i remembered, i used exclusively this in my Roma / Marcondes career too, fyi...