Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Wing Back Movement Attribute

Scouse Mouse

Hi guys, Wing Backs do not have movement as a "key" attribute.  But I would have thought it was vital.  Going up the pitch, they need to be in a position to receive a pass, or even know when to run behind the opposing full back and into the box.  IMHO it's more important than dribbling, and perhaps pace.  I'm watching a YouTube of Andy Robertson - perhaps the world's best Wing Back IRL.  I see positioning, movement and crossing.  His stamina is famous. I don't see dribbling or pace (even though the video is called "amazing dribbling...").  I realize in FMM19 they only provide attack on high mentalities (I play overload, just for this reason), but even on lower mentalities they need to have an unblocked passing lane from the passer.

Am I wrong?

Movement here is movement off the ball (and maybe something else combined from full version?) so the key stat for a wing back is their positioning when the team lose possession as opposed to making runs looking for the ball. The two tend not to go hand in hand as if you make a lot of runs off the ball you’ll typically be out of position a lot. 

Playmakers and attackers will have high movement as they make runs but their positioning is usually low. 

i wouldn't worry too much - at the end, the "key attributes" are the opinions of four or five people, who could argue it convincingly their way, but many other people could argue for other attributes. game of opinions innit. like saying Robertson is the best wing back in the world...........

I wouldn’t call it a key attribute but I agree it should be a secondary one, or one I’d look for rather. Movement is always the first attribute I look for in a striker and an attacking mid in which I want them to find those little pockets of space in the centre of the pitch to drag defenders out of position. If my wingback had a movement rating of say 10, then I’d be more than happy

To me it’s not an attribute they need a high number in simply because of the position they play. They play in a relatively narrow corridor of the pitch and wouldn’t necessarily be heavily marked like a winger might be. Without that close marking they are free to then attack the space in front of them and they don’t need amazing movement to be able to do that compared to a midfielder or striker who play in a more crowded area of the pitch.

Positioning is kind of the defensive version/stat of movement. A wing back needs good positioning to be able to find the right and safe opportunities to break forward by his positioning, and unlike movement he needs to always keep his positioning in mind not to be caught out defensively. Then once he's in attacking positions like @Foxy said he's basically working in his own corridor just looking to cross, he's not going to be cutting in or be doing much work in a more crowded area of the pitch like a midfielder or looking to get in behind defenders like a striker. 

For wing backs I personally only look for stamina, positioning and crossing while I'd say the secondary attributes are dribbling, decisions and pace. Yeah I pretty much ignore tackling, purely because I think positioning is more important, didn't one of the greats say that if he has to make a tackle he's already made a mistake?