Chat FMM20 General Discussion

FuddledFox

Will you be buying FMM20  

414 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buying FMM20

• Yes
    • No

Very good to everyone.

I had a doubt when starting my new season in the game, is that I am new to mobile, how many seasons are available in the game? 10? twenty? infinite?

7 minutes ago, adrirnx said:

Very good to everyone.

I had a doubt when starting my new season in the game, is that I am new to mobile, how many seasons are available in the game? 10? twenty? infinite?

Each save lasts 30 seasons.

7 minutes ago, adrirnx said:

Very good to everyone.

Hi, not sure what i'm doing here but i have a problem on FM 2020 mobile, i started a Sunderland game, the screen telling me what my transfer budget was popped up then the following screen said that the club had purchased some players and spent all of my budget so instead of the couple or so million I should have had i now have nothing and about 40k to play with wages wise, which in this game is nothing, if i ask the board for more transfer funds they just say they feel i have enough to do my job with, it's the first time this has ever happened to me, has anyone else experienced this and could this be a bug?? Sorry if i've posted this in the wrong area, to be honest it's the 1st time I've ever posted on a forum. Thanks :-)

37 minutes ago, WinkyRidg said:

Hi, not sure what i'm doing here but i have a problem on FM 2020 mobile, i started a Sunderland game, the screen telling me what my transfer budget was popped up then the following screen said that the club had purchased some players and spent all of my budget so instead of the couple or so million I should have had i now have nothing and about 40k to play with wages wise, which in this game is nothing, if i ask the board for more transfer funds they just say they feel i have enough to do my job with, it's the first time this has ever happened to me, has anyone else experienced this and could this be a bug?? Sorry if i've posted this in the wrong area, to be honest it's the 1st time I've ever posted on a forum. Thanks 🙂

Did you disable the first transfer window in settings before starting the game? Accidentally maybe. That’s usually the message that comes up when you do that.

Anyone experienced this one? Just cropped up in my Shearer challenge. I don't think it's a bug but it seems odd to me. Not sure why the Chairman would get involved, he's not even a first team player and there's £156m in the bank.

mZT28R2.jpg

Edited by Schwantz34

After several years of not playing FM I decided to pick up FM Mobile to while away those hours sitting on the throne, and, well, it's glad to see FM remembers me and hates me with a passion. Currently on a 8 match losing streak including one of those great matches where the opponent scores from a deflected off target shot, a penalty and an own goal. Now my players hate me so much that 2 of them got sent off in the last match I'm pretty sure just to spite me. Even a team near the bottom of the table casually knocked 5 past me

I hate 4-3-3 but it seems to be the only formation that mildly works. 

And as I write this, I concede in my next match within 3 minutes to a 20 yard thunderbolt. I'm pretty sure my players can't even kick the ball that far.

Loving it so far...and yes I know I need to learn what tactics work in the new engine. When the chips are down though and the commentary tells you that your opposition score a total fluke that was more than likely offside what can you do?

I've also found the guy who literally only plays against me. 3 matches this season, scored 7 goals, hasn't played a minute outside of those 3 matches

Edited by CUFCfan
6 hours ago, CUFCfan said:

After several years of not playing FM I decided to pick up FM Mobile to while away those hours sitting on the throne, and, well, it's glad to see FM remembers me and hates me with a passion. Currently on a 8 match losing streak including one of those great matches where the opponent scores from a deflected off target shot, a penalty and an own goal. Now my players hate me so much that 2 of them got sent off in the last match I'm pretty sure just to spite me. Even a team near the bottom of the table casually knocked 5 past me

I hate 4-3-3 but it seems to be the only formation that mildly works. 

And as I write this, I concede in my next match within 3 minutes to a 20 yard thunderbolt. I'm pretty sure my players can't even kick the ball that far.

Loving it so far...and yes I know I need to learn what tactics work in the new engine. When the chips are down though and the commentary tells you that your opposition score a total fluke that was more than likely offside what can you do?

I've also found the guy who literally only plays against me. 3 matches this season, scored 7 goals, hasn't played a minute outside of those 3 matches

Nothing seems odd to me. I’ve managed to lose like 15 games straight while as PSG manager back then. You’ll develop alot if you follow this community 

Anyone ever notice that there seem to be rounds where all the top teams draw (or lose). I like to call these catchup weekends. I tend to draw or lose as well, but if you can pinch a win, you can often catch up with / get ahead of your rivals.

Here's an eg where 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th all drew:

frenchy-toon-season03-05.jpg.d33f453d487f5176ed8b26c6d420b7b5.jpg\

I've noticed these sorts of rounds every so often in every version for years and years. I don't think they are coincidence (though they could be). I think it's the game making it tougher for the top teams to make sure that they don't win too much. 

Or am I crazy?

2 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Anyone ever notice that there seem to be rounds where all the top teams draw (or lose). I like to call these catchup weekends. I tend to draw or lose as well, but if you can pinch a win, you can often catch up with / get ahead of your rivals.

I've noticed these sorts of rounds every so often in every version for years and years. I don't think they are coincidence (though they could be). I think it's the game making it tougher for the top teams to make sure that they don't win too much. 

Or am I crazy?

Rubber banding imo mate 

I've always found it's at its worse around January-March but March is always my "it doesn't matter what I do month as the games decided I'll struggle". 

The amount of times I can get to January basically undefeated for the wheels to fall off so the AI can "challenge". Or give the sense of a challenge. Admittedly it's not always a full gone conclusion you'll find form once they're in distance but it's so bloody cheap. That's one massive reason I've gone off the game as it makes me question too much.

How can everything essentially work perfectly then just stop for a month or two without funny business? 

The best ones are when they change it up and it's actually the start that's bullshit then you walk the second half of the season. 

It really does make me feel like I'm the least important factor in how this engine/game plays. 

But I'm sure SI don't call it rubber banding oh no, it's a feature!! Obviously you're complacent and switching off due to your commanding lead, or its the weather change (remember when they claimed these streaks were due to bad weather @samhardy 😂). 

Too much utter bullshit has become a "feature" in the last decade in this game. 

Hmm. Again, from the last real-life season I just experienced, pretty much all that "unrealistic" stuff happened in the Championship in real life...

50 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Or am I crazy?

Woah never thought about that. It doesn’t seems to be a good one for teams at the bottom though since imagine us trying to get out of relegation zone and this happens

5 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

Hmm. Again, from the last real-life season I just experienced, pretty much all that "unrealistic" stuff happened in the Championship in real life...

And was any of it fun? 

Kinda extreme circumstances as well tbh. Maybe I'd understand if form disappeared if we stopped playing for a couple months. 

But if we go one for one are you suggesting the Championship is rigged like FMM to produce moments of tension? Or do you think it happens naturally in real life? As there is nothing natural about it in game. As the game isn't natural. It's programmed to say "not today." At least in real life you have a 50/50 chance and millions of factors at play. 

@Scratch and @Ashez This is so true! Or where you win 4 in a row then lose 4 in a row then draw 4 in a row for example 

If you look at your results you will regularly see patterns of similar results in clusters throughout the season 

For example in a 38 game season you might find this 

WWWWWDDDDLLLWWWWDDDLLLLWWWWDDDDLLLWWDL

Surely with it being just a game and not real life some sort of coding has to happen for certain results , maybe it's just coincidence but I don't know 

For example if the game was rigged if you played a game didn't save and played the game again and repeated this surely the score for the game would be the same every time 

BUT

if you play a game and don't save and then play it again and repeat this USING EXACTLY THE SAME TACTIC , PLAYERS , INSTRUCTIONS etc the result is always different , sometimes you win and sometimes you lose , surely this shows that the game could potentially just be a random results generator?

2 hours ago, Ashez said:

And was any of it fun? 

Kinda extreme circumstances as well tbh. Maybe I'd understand if form disappeared if we stopped playing for a couple months. 

But if we go one for one are you suggesting the Championship is rigged like FMM to produce moments of tension? Or do you think it happens naturally in real life? As there is nothing natural about it in game. As the game isn't natural. It's programmed to say "not today." At least in real life you have a 50/50 chance and millions of factors at play. 

The weekends where we were the only one of the top eight to win were great, yeah. And I don't think it was anything to do with the virus - that sort of thing happens any season. It's actually just the law of averages, but you don't notice all the "average" weekends, just the outliers... It's like when people talk about the Manager of the Month "curse", rather than them being due a defeat because they're unbeaten in six...

If the Championship was rigged, it wouldn't be to Brentford's benefit :D

People produce 38-0-0 seasons on here - doesn't that immediately refute your points? Or if you want the game to reflect cold hard programming, wouldn't the league table be...

Liverpool 38-0-0

Man City 36-0-2

Man Utd 34-0-4

Chelsea 32-0-6

Sunderland 0-0-38

It's not though is it? Because there must be a lot of factors at play in the game too. You'll never be able to recreate real-life "nerves", so there surely is some artificial element within the game - but I think you guys are exaggerating it a bit too.

It speaks to a typical football fan thing that bugs me, actually - a belief that "if we just turn up and do our best, we'll win." Well, what if the other team does that too? Hmm...

1 hour ago, AdamNufc said:

@Scratch and @Ashez This is so true! Or where you win 4 in a row then lose 4 in a row then draw 4 in a row for example 

If you look at your results you will regularly see patterns of similar results in clusters throughout the season 

For example in a 38 game season you might find this 

WWWWWDDDDLLLWWWWDDDLLLLWWWWDDDDLLLWWDL

Surely with it being just a game and not real life some sort of coding has to happen for certain results , maybe it's just coincidence but I don't know 

For example if the game was rigged if you played a game didn't save and played the game again and repeated this surely the score for the game would be the same every time 

BUT

if you play a game and don't save and then play it again and repeat this USING EXACTLY THE SAME TACTIC , PLAYERS , INSTRUCTIONS etc the result is always different , sometimes you win and sometimes you lose , surely this shows that the game could potentially just be a random results generator?

Not sure I believe that - there can be clusters but there can not be, too. And the options at the end appear to be "the game is rigged, or it's a random results generator"...... Reckon it's somewhere in the middle, myself :)

My personal one is that it seems to decide some sessions it'll be nice to you, and sometimes it just says "oh fk u". For example with this week's challenge, I was eight unbeaten last night, picked up this morning and played six games without a win. Frustrating!! Sometimes I like leaving it for a while as I'm fairly sure, when you pick it up again, the game goes easy on you - like it's saying "I'm sorry I messed you around, let's start again, look, wow, you're really good" :D

3 hours ago, Mr Tree said:

oh fk u". For example with this week's challenge, I was eight unbeaten last night, picked up this morning and played six games without a win. Frustrating!! Sometimes I like leaving it for a while as I'm fairly sure, when you pick it up again, the game goes easy on you - like it's saying "I'm sorry I messed you around, let's start again, look, wow, you're really good" :D

Your tactics, squad decisions and transfers must be on point if a determining factor of a tactical strategy game is "when did I last play" 😂

That's the big point I'm making, screw realism and always winning and that shit, the point is it's a strategy game where the strategy is essentially irrelevant. The game isn't about having the best tactics or players, it's about pleasing the engine. Remember this is the realism engine where nothing is luck/RNG but every tiny thing is caucluated which means the game activity screws you and your tactics regardless of how on point they are. 

And I get the point, but "essentially irrelevant" is hyperbolic language and just not true. There's a huge amount of variance that goes into a real football match and a virtual one. You can have everything on point but the ball just doesn't bounce your way, etc. It's one of the things that made Liverpool's run this year all the more impressive.

2 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

essentially irrelevant" is hyperbolic language and just not true.

Granted it is a tad OTT but it's where I've got too with the series. 

And as we've discussed at various points the strength of your tactic and squad IS irrelevant. Be it rubber banding, how often you play, the Sims like mini games influence, injuries and BS or "bad luck" at times the tactics and strategies of a tactical and strategy game are irrelevant. And like i said this isn't RNG or luck based but calculated and it's something we can't counter act. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

and yet, as i said, people somehow have seasons of 38-0-0...

From personal experience they are rarer and things that happen usually later in saves once "god squads" are built but it's a fair point. 

LoL, what did I start? 🤦‍♂️ Oh well, this thread needed some livening up...

I'm smack bang in the middle of the opposing views on here. I think all of the following:

• FMM does a pretty good job with many things, but could definitely improve in some areas.
  • What it's trying to do is actually pretty damn hard to do really well. I haven't found any other football management game that's a patch on it.
  • That it has too many bugs and they don't get fixed quickly enough (or at all).
  • That it probably does a pretty good job for most players, ie it's general target audience who are probably more casual than some of us here.
  • That for people who play it a lot (ie us), you start to find ways to win more easily than most people (too easy, hence 38-0-0), start noticing problems and inconsistencies and things that don't make sense, and start to notice the game mechanics like the rubberbanding mentioned above.
  • Speaking of which, I don't think the game has ridiculous rubberbanding, like strict patterns for when you win or lose or keeping you in touch with first no matter how bad you're doing, but..
  • I definitely think it has autocorrect functions for the AI teams to try to keep things more realistic - ie when the top teams win too much, I think it occasionally says "right, time to drop some points now buddy", so that we don't get 38-0-0 from the AI teams.

Anyway, I'm out for tonight...

28 minutes ago, Scratch said:

That it probably does a pretty good job for most players, ie it's general target audience who are probably more casual than some of us here.

That's the one right there. 

We're the niche and I'm the niche within the niche 😂

My vision of how FMM could have developed and could have gone is wildly different to what we got. It is just FM light instead of trying to make it's own identity which like it or lump it is what the casuals want, hence the constant 3D engine requests. 

Yeah all good - I was just a bit worried we were talking hysterically when we could be a bit more honest and sophisticated in the discussion. But that's partly football's fault, like I say - fans tend to simplify it all too when it's really quite complex.

There's definitely still a lot of room for improvement within the game and I agree that they don't necessarily improve it in the direction that "we" would want... We live in hope!

1 hour ago, Mr Tree said:

and yet, as i said, people somehow have seasons of 38-0-0...

No I did managed to do that a few times. I believe that one of my Vibe’s A-Z challenge submission got it. Yeah I remember using Domigos Quina and Marcus Rashford. I can say if you could get a team with about 15+ players with at least 4.5 star you’ll be able to do this and of course a little bit of luck

Edited by broodje kip