Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Anyone on Here Interested in Statistics and Programming?

Gvicii

Would you be interested in creating a program that reads the FMM save file and provides behind the scenes information about the players? Even better with the ability of editing the data.

It would be really interesting to export seasonal data and analyze it using Stata or R. I thought of this after watching Moneyball and was wondering how one could approach constructing a model that demonstrates the impact certain behind the scenes variables have on important statistics such as goals, assists, clean sheets etc.

What do you guys think? :D 

Edited by Gvicii

I am working on an app, though phase 1 will just focus on scouting (and a view of your team).

I'm hoping to add more to it later, such as the ability to track a player's development over time (you will have to open the save in the app at the points you want tracked), track a player over a challenge (such as a 1KC), have some sort of squad sorting (I want a way to categorize players or add notes against them), maybe a team report for the year, etc.

It will probably have some sort of export to csv at some point so you can add stuff to a spreadsheet or other app that supports csv if you want, but it won't get into to much statistical analysis itself. 

The first part (scouting) is not far off being ready - I just need to stop playing and spend another week or two on it. Realistically though that will be a month or two by the time it will be ready. Android only, at least at the start. 

The rest... Well I'd like to do it all, but some of it may not even be possible, so it's more wait and see...

16 minutes ago, Lord Danish said:

😥now that’s shit

Sorry! I'm using a programming language that can compile to IOS pretty easily, so it is in my plans, but there's a lot of stuff I need to work out with loading files etc. From first glance, I'm a bit worried about what's actually possible with accessing the save etc. Likely still possible, but probably not as nice for the user, and definitely harder for me to sort out. 

39 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Sorry! I'm using a programming language that can compile to IOS pretty easily, so it is in my plans, but there's a lot of stuff I need to work out with loading files etc. From first glance, I'm a bit worried about what's actually possible with accessing the save etc. Likely still possible, but probably not as nice for the user, and definitely harder for me to sort out. 

Oh yeah forgot about that. Good luck

You should check with the guy who made his own save editor on here couple years ago. Could load a save then look at stats/info of clubs, staff, players and even edit your save . It was out for Android and IOS ! Why are most edits etc Android only or Android first ? 

So you brining analytics to world football 🤔

7 minutes ago, DIRECTFX said:

You should check with the guy who made his own save editor on here couple years ago. Could load a save then look at stats/info of clubs, staff, players and even edit your save . It was out for Android and IOS ! Why are most edits etc Android only or Android first ? 

So you brining analytics to world football 🤔

Because Android is an easier OS to develop for, doesn't cost to be able to distribute your app, and you have full access to all the data without requiring a jailbreak. ;)

Data extraction and things like that isn't my bag. But if anyone wants some general programming advice about this kind of topic, or even maybe with a view to building something that could work on the web, get in contact. :)

I am a solution architect for this kind of tools, but not on mobile though. However, the sparse free time that is available I rather play the game than look at code again same like during business hours. :D

For those interested in what I've been doing: I just started with PHP in the browser as a proof of concept and to work out the base logic of where stuff was in the save file: 

fmm-scout-app.JPG 

Easiest for me to do, but not easily scalable beyond 1 person (me) uploading a 22MB file to the server each time they wanted an update. I might still revisit this and build out a web app around it, because I sort of like the big screen when there is lots of data. That said, if I do, I will probably make a way for you to view the data from the mobile app on the website, rather than you having to upload the full save to the website. But that's all 'for later'...

Anyway, once I had enough there that I was comfortable that I could do this, I moved to developing a mobile app. I decided to use Flutter to develop it, largely because I could publish to both Android and Apple with that. But I need to get my head around the Apple side of things, which is a little hard because I don't have an iPhone! Maybe I will 'borrow' the kids iPads. 🙂 I'm suspecting that some of the stuff I can do on Android with finding the file and opening it won't just work on iOS. Anyway, here is a very quick look at the app as it is now:

I need to build out the individual player view and the search form etc. I have all the data and search logic itself sorted out, but need to build the interface for it etc. The only problem is that I'm playing too much and not working on this enough! 😄

At this point I have no plans to allow editing, although I'm sure people will want it. I don't really want to step on SIGames toes too much (if people stop buying the Editor because of this app, they may not be so happy). That said, I haven't entirely ruled out adding a few small things that their Editor doesn't do. 

Also, I'm not focusing on staff at the moment because it just doesn't interest me much and I'm not sure what value it would provide. I know the game stores CA and  PA for coaches but I don't think the game uses it, so there's not much I can add that the built in search doesn't already do...

Anyway, that's what I'm working on (when I'm not working, parenting or playing FMM20!!). 

It is very good to see this back in fmm community, I am a programming dummy myself..jailbreaking and installing custom kernels via flashing is the best I can do 😂😂 if you need testers in the future I can do it do 👍

On 05/12/2019 at 04:49, Scratch said:

For those interested in what I've been doing: I just started with PHP in the browser as a proof of concept and to work out the base logic of where stuff was in the save file: 

fmm-scout-app.JPG 

Easiest for me to do, but not easily scalable beyond 1 person (me) uploading a 22MB file to the server each time they wanted an update. I might still revisit this and build out a web app around it, because I sort of like the big screen when there is lots of data. That said, if I do, I will probably make a way for you to view the data from the mobile app on the website, rather than you having to upload the full save to the website. But that's all 'for later'...

Anyway, once I had enough there that I was comfortable that I could do this, I moved to developing a mobile app. I decided to use Flutter to develop it, largely because I could publish to both Android and Apple with that. But I need to get my head around the Apple side of things, which is a little hard because I don't have an iPhone! Maybe I will 'borrow' the kids iPads. 🙂 I'm suspecting that some of the stuff I can do on Android with finding the file and opening it won't just work on iOS. Anyway, here is a very quick look at the app as it is now:

I need to build out the individual player view and the search form etc. I have all the data and search logic itself sorted out, but need to build the interface for it etc. The only problem is that I'm playing too much and not working on this enough! 😄

At this point I have no plans to allow editing, although I'm sure people will want it. I don't really want to step on SIGames toes too much (if people stop buying the Editor because of this app, they may not be so happy). That said, I haven't entirely ruled out adding a few small things that their Editor doesn't do. 

Also, I'm not focusing on staff at the moment because it just doesn't interest me much and I'm not sure what value it would provide. I know the game stores CA and  PA for coaches but I don't think the game uses it, so there's not much I can add that the built in search doesn't already do...

Anyway, that's what I'm working on (when I'm not working, parenting or playing FMM20!!). 

Wow very impressive! Already 10 steps ahead. How were you able to figure out how to read the data in the save file?

7 hours ago, Gvicii said:

Wow very impressive! Already 10 steps ahead. How were you able to figure out how to read the data in the save file?

Have you seen the Matrix? It's a bit like that... When I look at the FMM screens, I can see the HEX floating behind each value... 😄

Nah, I wish! Basically I spent a LOT of time tracking it all down. There's a lot of information here on the site - just search for HEX, although this post is probably the best place to start: 

Then apart from that you get the Editors, make a change, then compare save games to see what changed... Some stuff is easy to track down, some very very difficult...

8 hours ago, Scratch said:

Have you seen the Matrix? It's a bit like that... When I look at the FMM screens, I can see the HEX floating behind each value... 😄

Nah, I wish! Basically I spent a LOT of time tracking it all down. There's a lot of information here on the site - just search for HEX, although this post is probably the best place to start: 

Then apart from that you get the Editors, make a change, then compare save games to see what changed... Some stuff is easy to track down, some very very difficult...

That's fair - I always wondered if you guys had some trick up your sleeves but it sounds like its just good ol' hard work. I am assuming the individual stats must be quite difficult to track down? 

19 hours ago, Gvicii said:

That's fair - I always wondered if you guys had some trick up your sleeves but it sounds like its just good ol' hard work. I am assuming the individual stats must be quite difficult to track down? 

Yeah. I've started work on that and made a little progress, but not enough for it to be usable yet. I'll get it in the end though! 🤞

On 13/12/2019 at 20:28, Roverandout said:

This is great @Scratch!

did you ever release the FMM19 version?

No - was getting close to that point, then 20 came out so I switched to making it work with that (there were some differences in the save structure that broke it). Will be working on getting it out for 20, but still don't have a firm timeframe.