Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Have you ever been sacked?

SophiaFM

Have you ever been sacked in FMM whilst trying your best, without it being a piss take save? Happened to me only once, with Monaco doing that Race to 50 challenge in last years FMM, so I can blame the Vibe for my only sack 😂 I don’t know why they didn’t give me more time, I had more wins than loses just about but I was never completing the challenge obviously. In my inbox when I got the message I was sacked I had to laugh 😂 Maybe I didn’t adapt to French football, I’ve been scarred off a save in France ever since 😆 Have you got any amusing stories if you’ve ever been sacked? 

One I'll always remember is a challenge during the Vibe Challenge Cup I think it was, or maybe Super Series. Anyway, the challenge was re coaching staff and physios - we could have neither. No staff at all and my players basically went from decent to absolutely worthless 😂 I got the sack right around Xmas 👍 

I suffered the dreaded sack on a VPL challenge last year. We had to completely overhaul a second division Portuguese team and build the squad containing only 15 year old Chinese players. I got about seven or eight games in and there it was, “the dreaded sack”. In fairness most others also suffered the same fate and to be perfectly honest I am quite proud of it lol.

I got sacked in the Challenge Cup the year before last - it was the one where you had to have old players but couldn't train them (from memory anyway). Pretty much impossible to survive.

Before that... it was a while. I used to get sacked, but either it was harder then, or more likely I'm just way better at it these days. I find it super easy to succeed now, I just know what to do - like many people around here.

I got sacked twice trying to rebuild Portsmouth, I got sacked in welsh league, I got sacked few times with international teams(most recently my own country on this FMM) 

It happens sometimes 🤷‍♂️

I get sacked a few times per save actually. Mostly play LLM or rags-to-riches manager careers moving from club to club so sometimes it just does not work out with a club although I am bringing my A-game. 

Last to Last year was when i was trying to pair up the MacGuire brothers as strikers, a challenge from @Foxy and i got the sack. And this time in FMM 20, i got the sack in the last season of my Besart Berisha Challenge while i was trying different tactics.

I Started my career with Manchester United... 

Winning the Euro Cup saved my job... in first season

In second season, awful form as well as some awful management from me left us in 8th position with 41 points. had scored only 41 goals in league. So I was shown the door after 28 games.

So luckily AC Milan had a vacancy. I joined them. Eventually AC Milan finished 9th in league

Next season was a cat walk season. No European adventure helped. We won the league.

Next season round, A mid season slump costed me my job. We were in 6th position at that time.

Then joined Arsenal. Horrifying management skills costed me my job. 

Then joined Borussia Dortmund. I am still with Borussia Dortmund. Luckily in remaining games we managed to finish in P6 in standings. Next season We finished second in league. 

Then won 7 league titles consecutively. Then lost way while attempting 8th. Finished 3rd that season 

Then again won 3 league titles.  

Somewhere in these last 3 seasons I was 3-4 games away from a sacking. Board had started to search replacements.  Somehow my boys turned it around.

A Fun Fact 

I think I have scored the least number of goals for a title winning team with my 1st league title with Dortmund. My team managed to score a whole 41 goals whole season. 

Least goals.jpeg

A couple of years ago, I got sacked by Fiorentina after 10 league games.  The annoying thing was that I was undefeated as I had won 1 game, and drawn the other 9!

I think that game must have been bugged.

A few years back we had a challenge on Vibe to take Antalyaspor as far as possible in the Turkish league featuring Samuel Eto’o & no signings. I managed to win the league by scoring only 30~ goals all season in a strange defensive counter attacking formation. 

I tried replicating this idea with Southampton in the same FM edition. I didn’t make it to January 😂 in fairness though I was too stubborn to change the tactics.

Edited by Jack

Woah... I'm surprised so many have experienced it. I haven't been sacked before but came really close once in FMM19.

I was into my second year of managing Shelbourne FC, after getting promoted to the top division in Ireland. Early in the season, I went on this horrible run with 3 wins, 3 draws and 7 losses, as well as getting knocked out of a Leinster Senior Cup Semi-final, leaving me dead last on the table and in the relegation zone. It was a bit of a shock since I was used to comfortably winning, and it also didn't help that I always select the 'winner' option on start of season expectations, so the board's confidence in me was abysmally low. 

I think I was just having trouble finding the right formation, and kept on tinkering to find a solution. It was only once I switched to a 4-3-3 that my fortunes turned around - beginning with a 9-0 win against my closest relegation rival. That probably provided the boost of confidence the squad needed, because it also kick started an undefeated run to end up pinching the trophy at the end of season by a close 6 points. It was pretty epic!

It was only after winning the league in this fashion that I realised how much I still love this game 😄

Edited by Thirsk

Although I’ve only been sacked once I’ve had the ‘the board think you should be performing better as a manager’ thing loads of times, which basically saying another 1-2 losses and you’re gone. I’ve dodged them everytime, maybe I’m good under pressure 😆

I've been sacked in plenty of saves, most of the times while managing an international side. But my most painful sack was when playing with Portsmouth in this year's game. I got them to the Championship on the first season, stayed there for 2 seasons with consistent playoff qualification and carabao cup semifinals once. Next season they asked for promotion. It was just impossible and they sacked me. That young team I built, matures and went on to get promoted 3 seasons later. I had to move to Forrest Green.

Got sacked at Grimsby Town in my first FMM20  save. Started the save unemployed, before taking over at Solihull Moors midway through the 2019-20 season. Anyway, after defeat in the National League Play-Off Final in 2021, I internally decided that I intended to manage in the EFL and was offered a job by Grimsby Town, who wanted mid-table stability. 

In my first season, I finished 14th and knocked Middlesbrough out of the Carabao Cup, so I was satisfied. However, selling club captain Jake Hessanthaler to Bristol Rovers and then an injury to pacy striker Akheem Rose meant we had a difficult start to the season and found ourselves 19th and only 3 points above the relegation zone in November. The final nail in the coffin was being knocked out of the Leasing.com Trophy at the First Round (group) stage after a defeat on penalties to Stoke U21. 

Good learning curve for me, and my next job was 6 years at Doncaster, taking them within 90 minutes of the Premier League and then to Millwall, before I lost the save.

Grimsby were in the National League North by the time I arrived at Millwall.