Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Sheffield Utd Tactics; A Discussion

Hey Football Manager Fam, what’s good!

After following them for the first half of this season, I’m looking for help at attempting to recreate a tactic that’s reminiscent of Sheffield Utds’s current tactics with Chris Wilder.

Creating a plug n play tactic isn’t as easy as it used to be, although I feel now you can have more of a specific/personal tactic where it’s easier to find and train players in the Louis that one is looking for.

In this instance, I’m looking for help with a couple of questions;

• For a back 5 (or a back 3 with Wingbacks), how would you play the overlapping centre backs? As a Liverpool or Ball Playing Defenders? 

• What would you have the third Centre back play?

• How would you have the three midfielders play?

• How would you have the two forwards play (Target Man + Defensive Forward / Deep Lying Forward + Poacher / etc.)?

I ask as I’m a little unsure how the players and their roles would translate into FMM2020.

The role of the team for example would be pretty straight forward I feel, in terms of overlapping, work into the box, pressing high, overloading in attack and so on.

Your thoughts on this would be great and it would be great to see how these tactics would be implemented!

First off, good questions you raise :)!

i would recommend for you to work with the combo in front of the TM and the Adf. I see none of sheffields games, but find that combo to work pretty good :)

8 minutes ago, AndersJ said:

First off, good questions you raise :)!

i would recommend for you to work with the combo in front of the TM and the Adf. I see none of sheffields games, but find that combo to work pretty good :)

Thanks for the advice Anders!

His tactics are revolutionary in my opinion. He has two Centre backs overlapping the midfield that help support the attack, generally with at least one striker dropping deep to link up play.

My conundrum is how closely the players in real life would reflect the player roles in what would essentially be a 5-3-2 formation with Wingbacks, 2 Libero’s and a 3 man midfield 

2 hours ago, AndersJ said:

That sounds extreemly fun to test how to replicate! Is there anything on your drawingboard we can start to test with ?

Sure thing; tactics a list below.

Shape = Attacking / Balanced / Normal / Balanced

Defence = High / All Over / Normal / Yes / No

Attack = Look for Overlap / Work Into Box / Through Balls / Mixed / Mixed / Mixed

Like I say I’m looking to replicate Sheff Utd tactics specifically with overlapping Centre backs (which I guess in this case are Libero’s), meaning I need to figure out how to have the midfield and forwards positioned 

Did you consider using midfielders for the roles as liberos? I read somewhere that somebody recommended it - that sounded interesting imo.

13 hours ago, AndersJ said:

Did you consider using midfielders for the roles as liberos? I read somewhere that somebody recommended it - that sounded interesting imo.

Yeah DLPs with green in CB are great for the role, or if you can afford him, Stones is a BEAST in Libero.

4 hours ago, SirSpankorama said:

Yeah DLPs with green in CB are great for the role, or if you can afford him, Stones is a BEAST in Libero.

Ok this helps a lot.

However, I’m still looking for guidance on how to put together the midfield and forwards.

Question; does anyone on here actually know how Sheffield Utd play?

5 hours ago, Tomwalker2286 said:

Ok this helps a lot.

However, I’m still looking for guidance on how to put together the midfield and forwards.

i saw them humble us a couple of times last year, plus we sold them two of the gd CB's - but, it's too clever for me. I agree, Wilder's done a phenomenal job and should be applauded. not really sure how you'd translate their quite unique style to the game.

the only thing that occurred to me, bigger picture, was that maybe we would want a "formation in possession" and "formation out of possession" screen. obviously there'd be a temptation to get silly, but then if players get caught out of position, it's your own fault. it just occurred to me because out of possession, those CB's are pretty solid, maybe even NCB's! :)

On 07/01/2020 at 02:52, Tomwalker2286 said:

Ok this helps a lot.

Hi! I happen to be a Sheff Utd ST holder :) It's great to see people are noticing us and our style of play!

I see the LCM and RCM as b2b, the CM as DLP - Forwards we have done a few styles, but McGoldrick being the almost ever present is a combination of Defensive/deep lying forward/target man.