Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun/Games 2020 Vibe Premier League

samhardy

Week 7 Results

So here we are with the final set of results of the league campaign. We already know that Ian, Bati and Crash have secured their places in the playoffs but any of those three could still top the league phase. The real question that needs answering is that which of the five other participants will be joining them as it’s still possible for any of them to make it.

As usual with the final week the results are being posted in a different style, as they came in so everyone can see what the permutations were result by result and how everything went down.

Here is a reminder of how the table looked before this week along with the fixtures.

Spoiler

image.png.20ec17ec9e616926616b767a0d4ea5f4.png

image.png.3e181b0acf64fe1299b504856bcc7cf8.png

The first result to come in was that of already qualified @Crashhart who chose to manage PSG. I instantly knew that it was a monster score that he’d achieved as he managed to unlock all 12 targets, something I didn’t expect many to do. In fact he was the only one to get all 12 done meaning there were very big points on offer. Not only did he get them all completed but the last one was ticked off in January! Simply a huge total thanks mainly to 84GD points and 21 goals from his free agent striker Wilfred Bony.

• Crashhart - 239

@Ian chose Barcelona and was the next score to come in and all he needed to do was beat Woody in order to finish top of the league phase. Unlike Crash though Ian couldn’t get through all the targets and didn’t come all that close, not achieving the targets set for the goalkeeping or midfield positions. However he did get a healthy dose of points from his striker with Franck Etoundi who bagged 32 goals, and 48 GD points to give Ian a total of 144. All of a sudden now Crash looks like he has a chance of topping the league as his total looks very likely to be bonus point potential but Woody’s “result” would be the key here.

• Crashhart - 239
  • Ian - 144

Next up was the first submission from the key fixture of the week, @smoggy90 who went with PSG. A draw wouldn’t be enough for Smog against Mike here, he needed to win to qualify. As it happened his result was eerily similar to Ian’s. The only positions Smog unlocked were that of the defender and striker, but absolutely crucially he managed to haul himself above Ian’s total to give him a footing in the weekly standings. This was mostly down to Dani Schahin’s 40 goals. Mike now had a target to beat, not that he knew that though, and that number was 154. Remember a draw between the two opens the door for Tree.

• Crashhart - 239
  • smoggy90 - 154
  • Ian - 144

The next to submit his results was @Kanegan who also went for PSG. As you can see by Crash’s result Kane would have had to put in the performance of his life to even have any chance of qualifying here. To be fair though he had a good go at the targets, managing to unlock 11/12 just falling short in the midfield section. Unfortunately though he just couldn’t accumulate enough points in the time he gave himself, Bony bagged 30 goals and he got 10 clean sheets but he finished on 149. This means that Crash has beaten Kane so Kanegan is the first manager to be mathematically unable to qualify. Another score that was below Smoggy’s though so that raises the excitement levels further!

• Crashhart - 239
  • smoggy90 - 154
  • Kanegan - 149
  • Ian - 144

Now onto a key result in another important fixture as both @BatiGoal and @Mr Tree submitted within close succession of each other. Tree needs to win this to have a chance of qualifying; same for Bati if he’s going to top the pile. Bati got off to a superb start, quickly unlocking 9 of the targets and completing the GK, defender and striker positions. However after Wilfred Bony scored 9 goals for his Milan side he suffered the dreaded damaged spine 10 month injury :O No more striker points but a nice 54 from GD coupled with a ridiculous run of about 18 consecutive clean sheets salvaged the week for Bati but what a beatable total for Tree as the Dutchman only manages to score 138, the lowest so far!

So effectively to defeat Bati Tree needed to better Ian’s total of 144, but he suffered a setback by not unlocking the goalkeeper or midfield targets. Still a chance though as PSG allow opportunities for goals and therefore goal difference.  Sadly though it fell apart a bit for Tree as simply put it took far too long to complete the striker targets. February came along by the time the 3rd was ticked off, and this only gave him 15 games for Giuseppe Rossi to make a mark and he could just manage 9 goals. Over 100GD was needed now and it was just too much left to do as Tree could only muster 85 points this week and we won’t be seeing him in the playoffs. This encounter could still end in a draw however, as there’s no-one separating the two in the weekly standings at this point.

• Crashhart - 239
  • smoggy90 - 154
  • Kanegan - 149
  • Ian - 144
  • BatiGoal - 138
  • Mr Tree - 85

Now the all important result of the week, 155 or more for @MikeF and he’ll be taking that final playoff spot, but less than that and it’s 90% Smog who leapfrogs him at the death. PSG was the choice of club as it was for most people but there was no points from the goalkeeper as Mike couldn’t get all 3 targets done. As expected though there was no issues in the defender and striker section, 35 goals from Schahin and 49GD points gave him a running score of... You guessed it 154! Exactly the same as Smoggy, and since neither completed all 12 targets it would go to league points and Smog had more!! So effectively it all came down to whether Mike could do what his opponent couldn’t and unlock the midfielder section...

And yes he did! With plenty of time to spare as well allowing him 13 assists and 39 extra points. So Mike beats Smoggy and takes 4th spot. Well done to him.

• Crashhart - 239
  • MikeF - 193
  • smoggy90 - 154
  • Kanegan - 149
  • Ian - 144
  • BatiGoal - 138
  • Mr Tree - 85

Mike getting the job done meant that @Woody couldn’t qualify regardless of what he did. However we now turn our attention back to the top of the table where it’s arguably now Crash in pole position! These were the permutations:

If Woody scored 139 or more - Crash finishes top of the pile.

If Woody scored 138 or less - Ian wins the league phase.

Unfortunately that’s where the excitement ends as Woody didn’t submit due to personal reasons. So Ian hangs on at the top and Crash is potentially denied top spot right at the death.

• Crashhart - 239
  • MikeF - 193
  • smoggy90 - 154
  • Kanegan - 149
  • Ian - 144
  • BatiGoal - 138
  • Mr Tree - 85
  • Woody - 0/DL

Results Recap

MikeF 3-2 smoggy90, Mr Tree 0-1 BatiGoal, Woody 0-1 Ian, Crashhart 3-2 Kanegan.

And that’s that! Congratulations to @Ian who finishes top of the league after 7 weeks of competition. He will face @MikeF in the semi finals who qualified in 4th, whilst 2nd place @Crashhart will face 3rd place @BatiGoal in the other semi.

@smoggy90 and @Mr Tree miss out on the playoffs but finish in a respectable 5th and 6th place, whilst @Woody finishes in 7th with @Kanegan ending in 8th.

Here’s the final table.

image.png.aacbf29799d90aab48e922827437dfd2.png

Thanks to everyone who has followed and participated in this over the 7 weeks, I hope it has been as enjoyable for you as it has for myself and @Foxy to run. The final standings don’t really do justice to how tight the competition was as 5 of you could still qualify going into the final week!

For the remaining four all still in with a chance of glory though your hard work will start next week. Here is the route to the title...

image.png.4605261e0c3bacd30cb3c56da6f5d6b8.png

1 hour ago, smoggy90 said:

Wow that was a nail biting read! Congrats @MikeFand all the other qualifiers. I just couldn’t get those 3assists in one game to unlock my midfielder. 
Thanks to @samhardyand @Foxyfor their excellent work. Great fun!

Jeez that was close!

Well played @smoggy90. That went to the wire!

Took me a while to get 3 assists too and I went all season without conceding a penalty let alone saving one. 

Well played everyone. 

Ah well, I've fairly proven that I suck while also earning my participation certificate and having a lot of fun. Many thanks to @samhardy and @Foxy for all the work they've put into organising this - very impressive!

I'm not too sad about going out now cos I've got a project coming up once I complete the last five seasons of my career in Italy, so It'll be good to get that started.

Otherwise I'll sit back and look forward to seeing the overall champion come from the @BatiGoalvs @Crashhart semi, cos I beat the other two semi-finalists so they can't be much cop ;)

5 hours ago, smoggy90 said:

Thanks to @samhardyand @Foxyfor their excellent work. Great fun!

Second that. Tremendous work so far 👏 

4 hours ago, Mr Tree said:

Ah well, I've fairly proven that I suck while also earning my participation certificate and having a lot of fun.

As Sam said, it really is much closer than it looks. Everyone beat everyone at some point but it also is a matter of luck at times. When do you unlock, when do you save a pen. How well do you read 😂 I suffered to nasty injuries to my strikers Vs Ian and yourself which could've moved the table quite a bit. 

2 hours ago, Crashhart said:

And @BatiGoal  Let’s go Champ...

Beat you once beat you again 😁 

My bonus players seem to enjoy picking up injuries more than anyone else this competition. If I'm relieved of this curse I'm not worried 😉 

Monster score @Crashhart and well done to all the semi-finalists. Just couldn't unlock the 3 assists in a match from Draxler so could not avoid the wooden spoon. It was fun to participate though so thanks @samhardy and @Foxy.

Looking forward to find out the winner. 

9 hours ago, samhardy said:

And that’s that! Congratulations to @Ian who finishes top of the league after 7 weeks of competition

Lucky bastard. Everyone's been lucky except me. My achievements have been hard work, no one else can say the same 😂 😂 

Jokes aside, congrats Ian. Congrats on winning the groups phase AND getting knocked out in the semi's 👍 

Yes, after shithousing my way to the playoffs last year I’ve somehow managed to top the league phase this year.

On the other hand I always say if you get luck lasting any real length of time then is it really just luck?

Hard lines to those who narrowly missed out on the playoff and congratulations to those who made it.

I’ll prepare for the playoffs now where I’m the major underdog so pressure is off and I can just try my best and hope the others have off days. 

It’s great to here you have all enjoyed this event even with the brain twister of a challenge in week 7. These events take a bit of organising and work so it makes it worth while to know that the effort is appreciated :)

Congratulations to those that made the playoff stage and commissions to those that didn’t although as has been mentioned this is definitely one of the closely contested events Vibe has seen in a long time so everyone really did step up.

1 hour ago, samhardy said:

@Ian @Crashhart @BatiGoal @MikeF

The playoffs will get underway tomorrow and @Foxy will be posting the semi final challenge.

One thing just to clear up is that it will be straight H2H and not the “goals” scoring format that was used for the league phase - simply whoever has the highest score in their semi final wins and progresses to the final :)

Is it possible to get a tiny 2-4 week extension on the semis, definitely nothing to do with all my tactics changing 

We have reached the semi final stage and here is a reminder of the fixtures as @Ian, @MikeF, @BatiGoal and @Crashhart all look to get to the final. This is now a straight H2H with the competitor with the highest score winning his match and going to next weeks final.

Playoffs.png.548758d04d430e10a1b68d2b7462e970.png

Please make sure you read the rules of the challenge correctly and just ask if you have any questions as a DNQ now would mean the end of the road.

FE5FE2FF-1108-4097-8CE5-72606E6282D5.jpeg.fea4f7d42644699b00c5ca80c414e506.jpeg

If you are unfortunate enough to have to listen to TalkSPORT for too long it is inevitable that at some point you will hear some ex pro talking about the “good old days” when players didn’t need a rest and would play 70 games a season on one leg as the other one had been broken in 5 places by a “hard but fair reducer”. To an extent he will be right in that clubs had smaller squads in the 80s and players did play with more injuries due to the over use of painkilling injections, something that has led many of them to be all but crippled in later life.

As an example of this the Aston Villa team that won the top flight in the 1980/81 season only used 14 players all season and seven players played in every match. Except this isn’t a good example as even at the time this was considered a “throwback to the 19th century” and was unprecedented even in early 80s English football with clubs perhaps using more like 18 to 20 different players a season. In fact Villa had over 30 players listed in the squad but manager Ron Saunders choose to keep a winning team as much as possible and it certainly worked for them.

This challenge is going to be a throwback for you guys as well as you look to achieve as much as you can with a squad of just 14 players.

The Challenge

The basic premise of this challenge is to build a squad of 14 players and win as often as you can but as you might expect there is a bit more to it than that.

Club Choice: You may choose any Premier League team to manage so long as they are not in either the Europa or Champions Leagues.

Bonus Pts Player: You must pick one British or Irish player in the squad to be your bonus points player. He will get you a point for every goal and assist he grabs in all competitions.

Transfers: The rest of the squad must be sold or demoted and not used at any point during the season. These players will be replaced with a maximum of 13 other players who you will buy (no loans or free transfers) and who must all be British or Irish to create a 14 man squad.

Transfer Rules: As stated above you may only buy 13 players and they must all be British or Irish. You may also only spend 10% of the money you make from your sells on these replacements and cannot use any of your original transfer budget. As an example if you sell as many of your squad as you can and raise £100m you will be able to spend £10m on building your squad.

The 13 players must be purchased in the first transfer window and you may not do any business in January either in or out the club. You may only buy a maximum of 13 players during the first window and that will be your only transfers in all season.

Points: League Pts + GD + 3 points for every cup round you pass 1 pt per goal and assist from your bonus points player.

Clarifications and Rules

• This is a full season challenge.
  • You must use the original (Nov) DB.
  • Your bonus points player must already be at the club when you take over and must have either English, Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish or Irish as his first nationality.
  • The rest of the squad must be sold or demoted and can never be used.
  • Maximum squad size must be 14 players and in the event of injuries of suspensions you may play greyed out players but they can never be given a contract.
  • All players in the squad must be British or Irish as there first nationality.
  • The 13 players you bring in must be bought and no loans or free transfers are allowed.
  • Those 13 transfers in are the only players you may buy in the whole season.
  • You must only spend 10% of the money you raise from player sells on your transfers in and none of your original transfer budget may be used.
  • No transfers in or out are allowed in January.
  • In the event it’s a draw your league points will be used to determine the winner.
  • Usual rules apply of no editing, reloading or cheating in any way.
  • Results must be sent to @samhardy in the PM you already have set up.
  • If asked you must provide the save file and failure to do so will result in a zero score.
  • Have fun.

Screenshots Required

• Bonus points players attributes at the beginning and end of the season along with his end of season history.
  • Transfers in and out at the end of August and then at the end of the season.
  • Squad before the first game of the season.
  • Manager profile and history.
  • League Table.
  • Games you get knocked out the cups.
  • Squad listed by appearances at the end of the season.

Deadline: Wednesday 4th March 2020 @11.59pm UK time

Any questions then please just ask.

Great challenge yes yes but dear me, this is going to take some planning. 10% only??? Yikes 😂 

Goodluck to all 3 competitors on this sick ride. 

4 hours ago, Foxy said:

That was meant to be 1% but bloody autocorrect made it 10% 🤬

I thought you're gonna say @samhardy decided on 1% but you insisted on 10. I would've believed that 😬

Nice challenge and I can see there is a real danger of suffering the dreaded sack for me. I’m genuinely a bit ill at the moment so probably won’t be quite so quick in finishing this week but no real risk of me not submitting with the deadline being a good distance away. 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Nice challenge and I can see there is a real danger of suffering the dreaded sack for me. I’m genuinely a bit ill at the moment so probably won’t be quite so quick in finishing this week but no real risk of me not submitting with the deadline being a good distance away. 

Take your time, no rush ;)