Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Wrasslin’, MMA, Boxing, et al

Rob

UFC again tonight! By the look of things, it's going to be on at a decent time here in the UK.

Not going to lie though, other than the main event I'm not too fussed. Will still watch as it's on at a decent time and Holloway is always fun to watch.

The Featherweight division is so weak though. Literally just two guys in it. (Volkanovski and Holloway) 

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

UFC again tonight! By the look of things, it's going to be on at a decent time here in the UK.

Not going to lie though, other than the main event I'm not too fussed. Will still watch as it's on at a decent time and Holloway is always fun to watch.

The Featherweight division is so weak though. Literally just two guys in it. (Volkanovski and Holloway) 

Yeah it’s not got many big stars on it, but on paper some of the fights should be really good I think, some exciting fighters. Holloway is so much fun, massive test for Yair, it he wins (doubt it) we have a new challenger for Volkanovski but if Holloway wins they he has to get another shot.

I really want to see Holloway go up a weight, but take his time doing it so his body has time to adjust. He always looks so skinny when he cuts weight! 

@RichI've just looked at the Featherweight ratings and this is the top 5:

1. Max Holloway (lost twice to Volk)

2. Brian Ortega (lost to Max and Volk)

3. Yair Rodriquez (fighting Max tonight but hasn't fought since 2019)

4. The Korean Zombie (lost to Ortega)

5. Calvin Kattar (got destroyed by Max)

Not a great top 5 is it? I can't see anyone challenging Volk. A lad very local to me "Arnold Allen" is just outside the top 5, being rated at 6th so hopefully he can get into the top 5 and show what he can do.

I believe Max has said before about moving up to Lightweight. I can see him doing really well there tbh.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

@RichI've just looked at the Featherweight ratings and this is the top 5:

1. Max Holloway (lost twice to Volk)

2. Brian Ortega (lost to Max and Volk)

3. Yair Rodriquez (fighting Max tonight but hasn't fought since 2019)

4. The Korean Zombie (lost to Ortega)

5. Calvin Kattar (got destroyed by Max)

Not a great top 5 is it? I can't see anyone challenging Volk. A lad very local to me "Arnold Allen" is just outside the top 5, being rated at 6th so hopefully he can get into the top 5 and show what he can do.

I believe Max has said before about moving up to Lightweight. I can see him doing really well there tbh.

Agreed with you for sure, not looking that interesting to be honest. Arnold Allen has looked great every time I’ve seen him, could be a real contender, I like Giga Chikadze he looks really good, there are a couple of undefeated fighters in and round as well Bryce Mitchell and Evloev but they haven’t fought anyone of great note tbh.

I've not actually heard of Mitchell or Evloev. I'll keep my eye out for them though.

On the prelims there's a guy fighting at Featherweight that is 6 foot 2! Very tall height for a Featherweight.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I've not actually heard of Mitchell or Evloev. I'll keep my eye out for them though.

On the prelims there's a guy fighting at Featherweight that is 6 foot 2! Very tall height for a Featherweight.

That is very big! Wales are playing now against Belarus so I will probably watch it in the morning now, I would defo have more fun watching UFC though 😂

What a great fight. No Spoilers from me so....

Spoiler

I say Max is my favourite but I hate watching him. He'll take fire to land more fire. That's just the way he is. He's not a KO artist either so he's always likely to fight the scheduled 25 mins which means there's always the likelihood someone could land that on KO punch or kick on him. Some of the shots landed by Rodriguez KO most of the division. What a chin!

I don't think people give him credit and just call him a terminator-like fighter, just walking forward and striking but tonight, against a very gifted fighter he had a very obvious gameplan. Yes, stalk him but every time he was kicked he fired back with  two or three punches or kicks. 

Man, I just love him. He is box office! And, I still think he beat Volkanovski, both times. I've watched them back numerous times and the first was maybe a draw but I'd lean towards Max and the 2nd was definitely Max's. It makes me sad. 🤣

I may have a slight man crush. 🤣

I'm ashamed to say I haven't watched either of the Volk vs. Max fights. I know, shame on me! 

I may have to give them a watch soon though. 

As for the fight last night my laptop died on me just as the first round ended. I've seen who has won though so will probably give it a miss.

Didn't realise there was boxing on last night. Have you watched it, or seen the results? @Rich @Dai_

Spoiler just in case you haven't.

Spoiler

Wow, Kid Galahad and Terri Harper both knocked out and lose their world titles. 

Harper's knockout was scary she literally froze on the spot, kind of like David Price when he fought Povetkin. Galahad was dominating Martinez but got dropped heavily at the end of round 5 and knocked out 6 seconds into round 6.

Shockers.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Didn't realise there was boxing on last night. Have you watched it, or seen the results? @Rich @Dai_

Spoiler just in case you haven't.

Hide contents

Wow, Kid Galahad and Terri Harper both knocked out and lose their world titles. 

Harper's knockout was scary she literally froze on the spot, kind of like David Price when he fought Povetkin. Galahad was dominating Martinez but got dropped heavily at the end of round 5 and knocked out 6 seconds into round 6.

Shockers.

Spoiler

I knew it was on but didn't watch it. Between the Wales game and the UFC my night was all booked up.

I knew the results though. Seen a few people mention the Kid Galahad one on Facebook. I've seen the KO since. I'm shocked, tbh.

I did watch the UFC card yesterday, what a great cards in the end, sometimes the ones with “less stars” turn out to be the best, was really good. The main event was one of the best, I say that every week these days about a fight!

Really surprised about the Kid Galahad one, very shocking, only seen the knockout so don’t know how the fight was going before that. 

4 hours ago, Dai_ said:
  Hide contents

I would say Woodley took a dive but looking at it, nahhh, thats as clean a KO as you'll see.

Spoiler

Yeah I agree, especially to go face first in to the Matt, if it was going to be rigged that’s probably the most dangerous and painful way to fall 😂

Just finished the UFC cars now and that was good, Derek Lewis is one of my faves, glad he’s got the most knockouts in ufc history now. Can’t believe he threw his cup out to the crowd wtf 😂😂

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

These ‘Paul’ brothers… they actually any good?

Not the worst, tbh. Jake is better than Logan. Although Logan went the distance with Mayweather. He is twice the size of him and there was a no KO clause as there always is. Logan also lost to UK YouTuber KSI. 

What you need to understand is that if these guys keep adding no KO clauses against their opponents then it shows how ridiculous the whole thing is.

Jake is a talented kid who seems decent at anything he tries but there are levels and if he steps up to actual boxers who have trained nothing but boxing their whole careers then he will be in serious trouble. Even mentioning Canelo is just ridiculous. 

9 minutes ago, Rob said:

So is Woodley is a bit poop?

Was a beast in the UFC for years. Talked about as the best in the division. Ever. That was until the fame got to him and movie deals came as well as him thinking he's a rapper. When you don't need to win to provide for your family the hunger of fighting goes. Same with McGregor tbh. Usman came along with that hunger and dismantled Woodley. Since then, Woodley lost 4 in a row in the UFC. He's never actually been a boxer. Has a wrestling background. Don't get me wrong. Has serious power if he connected with a punch but his style was always based around wrestling. 

Spoiler

Moreno vs Figgy 3 was a good fight. Not 100% sure I agree with the decision but I don't mind because there's going to be a 4th fight. Maybe even a 5th, which is crazy!

As for the main event, I wasnt really looking forward to it anyway. As much as I love seeing KO's, especially when  Francis connects with a punch I just thought Gane would have too much movement for him. How wrong was I. Francis fought so intelligently. Plus, it didn't help that Gane looked terrified from the get go.

Rumble is coming soon, cannot wait, like you @Dai_ it’s my fave event of the year, haven’t looked at any news for a week now, hope it’s a good event 🤞🏻

I'm pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the Rumble.

A few matches were a bit crap but you'll always get that. 

Both rumbles were good. The alarming thing though is the distinct lack of quality in the men's rumble. That's what you get when you sack your better talent. 

The outcome of the men's one was obvious, tbh.

Women’s rumble > Men’s Rumble

Thats again for me, men’s rumble you need a surprise or two, only is Shane McMahon (who I love) but still I didn’t think it was a great rumble. The people they left out of the men’s rumble who they could have built up is mental to me.

Proud of the effort from Liam Williams 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿. Too eager early on to knock Eubanks head off. Perfect case of trying too hard and getting caught. Other than that I think he bossed the entire fight. He was in with a real shout of stealing a draw before a push was counted as a knockdown in the 11th. Shame.

If Eubank wants to be a World champion he'll have to box better than that in the future.