Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Favourite Tactical Instructions

Thirsk

Favourite Tactical Instructions  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What are the final third instructions that you tend to use the most? You can make multiple selections.

• Early Crosses
    • Look For Overlap
    • Shoot On Sight
    • Work Into Box
    • Run At Defense
    • Through Balls
    • Usually None Selected
  2. 2. What is your preferred passing style if you had the perfect team for it?

• Short
    • Mixed
    • Direct
    • Long
  3. 3. What passing focus have you used the most this year?

• Centre
    • Both Flanks
    • Mixed
  4. 4. What team mentalities have you used the most this year? You can make multiple selections.

• Contain
    • Defensive
    • Counter
    • Balanced
    • Control
    • Attacking
    • Overload
  5. 5. Your favourite tactical roles this year? You can make multiple selections.

• Sweeper Keeper
    • Full Back
    • Defensive Full Back
    • Wing Back
    • Inverted Wing Back
    • Ball Playing Defender
    • Sweeper
    • Libero
    • Defensive Midfielder
    • Deep Lying Playmaker
    • Ball Winning Midfielder
    • Anchor Man
    • Central Midfielder
    • Box to Box Midfielder
    • Advanced Playmaker
    • Wide Midfielder
    • Winger
    • Defensive Winger
    • Inside Forward
    • Attacking Midfielder
    • Trequartista
    • Shadow Striker
    • Poacher
    • Target Man
    • Deep Lying Forward
    • Advanced Forward
    • Complete Forward
    • Defensive Forward

So it just occurred to me that out of all the final third instructions, the one tactical instruction I rarely ever use is 'Work into Box'. I always prefer my players to 'Shoot on Sight' or neither at all. And that made me really curious as to what everyone's favourite tactical instructions and roles are!

Of course, with tactical instructions often being built around the team, some of the questions aren't about your favourite instructions but which are the ones you have used the most this year.

Personally, I'm doing okay with defensive and controlling with Western United in the A-league, but have to resort to mixed and direct crosses to my Target Man since my team's passing is horrible 😟 I'm loving Box to Box midfielders and Ball winning midfielders this year though!

8 minutes ago, SirSpankorama said:

You forgot Central Defender and Goalkeeper. Great idea though!

Thanks! I actually left those out because they seem so default by nature and regularly used, I thought I'd save the trouble for everyone having to select them 😄

5 hours ago, Thirsk said:

So it just occurred to me that out of all the final third instructions, the one tactical instruction I rarely ever use is 'Work into Box'. I always prefer my players to 'Shoot on Sight' or neither at all. And that made me really curious as to what everyone's favourite tactical instructions and roles are!

Of course, with tactical instructions often being built around the team, some of the questions aren't about your favourite instructions but which are the ones you have used the most this year.

Personally, I'm doing okay with defensive and controlling with Western United in the A-league, but have to resort to mixed and direct crosses to my Target Man since my team's passing is horrible 😟 I'm loving Box to Box midfielders and Ball winning midfielders this year though!

i rarely use "work into box" as well, but if the attacking midfielder or striker has great dribbling, aka Firmino, i will consider using "work into box". Great idea!

Interesting poll here

I’ve been using work into the box in every single tactic I made. Short and mixed passing focus are a no brainer not to use them.

For roles I found Libero and Sweeper surprisingly great this year with BPD doing good as always. Anchor Man have been my main DM roles currently having good balance attacking and defensively. DLP, BMM, CM, and Wingers are the classic favourites. Poacher and AF are the only effective role for strikers sadly. Target Man are very inconsistent for some reason

5 hours ago, xjdeis said:

i rarely use "work into box" as well, but if the attacking midfielder or striker has great dribbling, aka Firmino, i will consider using "work into box". Great idea!

Oh that's nice tip: dribbling for working the box. It makes sense since they could use the extra control on the ball especially in the final third. I'll have to try that (when my team learns how to dribble) 🤣

1 hour ago, Lord Danish said:

I’ve been using work into the box in every single tactic I made. Short and mixed passing focus are a no brainer not to use them.

For roles I found Libero and Sweeper surprisingly great this year with BPD doing good as always. Anchor Man have been my main DM roles currently having good balance attacking and defensively. DLP, BMM, CM, and Wingers are the classic favourites. Poacher and AF are the only effective role for strikers sadly. Target Man are very inconsistent for some reason

Yep.. so far the poll shows that I'm in the minority... I guess most people prefer to work into the box? What is this madness lol.

I'm also surprised to find that Early Crosses aren't popular. I guess it's hard to find a poacher that has good pace AND aerial? Or perhaps it's really meant for playing on the counter, which is rarely used to begin with? In any case a very interesting find.

Regarding roles, those would be some of my classic favourites too. I haven't tried Sweeper enough yet but would like to one day...

I haven't had the best Target Man this year so he's been inconsistent for me too.. But last year, I had a monster of a Target Man who was terrorising defenses and scoring for fun so I still have hope! 

On a side note though, it's really nice to see that all tactical roles have found people finding success with them. I guess it's time for me to start experimenting more! 

Regarding passing style, it is really a pity that direct and long passing are completely useless (and guess what, no one use them). A few years ago, direct passing was working, don't think long ever provided good results though

6 hours ago, chouchou said:

Regarding passing style, it is really a pity that direct and long passing are completely useless (and guess what, no one use them). A few years ago, direct passing was working, don't think long ever provided good results though

I probably should have worded the question about passing style differently to see how many people play direct or long this year, rather than favoured passing style. But yeah, it's probably not many though.

Playing direct or long can be detrimental to ball possession so it makes sense why most wouldn't play it for the full 90 mins. I wouldn't say it's completely useless as it can be useful to overwhelm poor aerial defenses, or break defenses on the counter. I only ever use long passes when in the last 5 mins and need a miracle to stay in the game but rarely does it ever help me lol.

Yeah, to be frank, neither direct or long ever worked for me last year or this year. Despite long should make sense for poor teams against better teams or in lower leagues with general poor passing skills.

For direct, passes largely end up in opponent's feet more than it should. this is a pity as such a play style could be good along with gegenpressing

Great poll @Thirsk - really interesting to see the results.

I'm definitely in the short passing, work into the box camp. That said, I did have a LOT of success with Long passing in the lower leagues last year. Just get a fast striker and let your team whack the ball into open space and watch your striker stream past the slow defenders. This is what you get: 

Doesn't work at higher levels though, I think because the defenders have better Positioning and can cut out the passes. Haven't tried it this year though. I was expecting long ball to be more putting it on a TM's head, but a pacy AF does so much better.

In my current career, I get most of my goals from the striker's head, so you'd think that I'd go for early crosses (he sometimes scores from quick crosses) or look for overlap so a good cross will be put in, but things just seem to work better if you leave both those off. Same with the passing focus. I want it to go down the right, even down the flanks in general, but turning those setting on seems to make my team play worse. If I leave them off, it seems to go down the right a lot more than if I tell it to do that... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Might just be like that for my tactic though...

Anyway, great poll and good starter for a thought provoking discussion! 

Long ball to a fast AF! I never would've thought of that! I always thought playing direct or long ball meant you had to use a TM...

Damnit @Scratch I wish you replied sooner... because as of now, I actually no longer have a club after losing 4 games in a row in and falling out of the title race!! 😆 Reason being, I tried to make an all Aussie team in the A-league from the get go but it went so wrong in the second season. Like Unai Emery, I'm going to have to say it wasn't completely my fault - the team couldn't pass the ball for peanuts and always hid like scared little girls in the big matches!!

But anyway... 😂 how strange that sometimes not selecting the passing focus to the right flank can end up more on the right flank. Could it be when the players have good decision making, they know better when to down the right? I wonder if creativity also has any part to play in this too...

Whenever I see my players have both good pace and aerial (for early crosses) but also have good wingbacks (for the overlap), I'd select neither in hope that it's a 50-50% attempt from both. Same with shoot on sight vs work in the box, or run with ball vs through balls. Is this how everyone else plays too?

One thing I just noticed from the poll results is that more people are playing through the centre than the flanks. I'm probably doing it wrong since I never had a good experience with the centre lol. What I'd like to know is how are you folks managing this, especially when the other team has 3 defenders or 1 or 2 DM?

And I really didn't expect this many results from a random idea so a big thank you to everyone who's contributed to the poll! Hopefully we can get even more results to see a clearer picture of how everyone prefers to play!

Edited by Thirsk
7 minutes ago, Thirsk said:

I always thought playing direct or long ball meant you had to use a TM...

I generally pick Direct passing with Attacking ment. and/or Short passing with Control ment. These two combo's work best for me. 

11 minutes ago, Thirsk said:

One thing I just noticed from the poll results is that more people are playing through the centre than the flanks. I'm probably doing it wrong since I never had a good experience with the centre lol.

When I've got too much time on my hands I like exploring the opponent's formation for weaknesses (such as space to exploit), "risky" player role combos (like multiple BPDs or BWMs) and/or players in the wrong positions. I select the passing focus to exploit those areas. 

It's kinda hard to prove that works but it certainly seems that way tho. At least I'd like to think it contributes to getting the results I do. As you say, part of it might be the player's Decisions or hidden Intelligence attribute. 

On 12/02/2020 at 11:54, BatiGoal said:

I generally pick Direct passing with Attacking ment. and/or Short passing with Control ment. These two combo's work best for me. 

When I've got too much time on my hands I like exploring the opponent's formation for weaknesses (such as space to exploit), "risky" player role combos (like multiple BPDs or BWMs) and/or players in the wrong positions. I select the passing focus to exploit those areas. 

It's kinda hard to prove that works but it certainly seems that way tho. At least I'd like to think it contributes to getting the results I do. As you say, part of it might be the player's Decisions or hidden Intelligence attribute. 

Thanks @BatiGoal, those are some really handy tips. I'd like to think exploiting opponent's weaknesses does work since the options to focus on certain areas I assume were added for that reason. Sometimes in the big matches, I like to check which of the opponent's defenders are weaker or are suffering from poor form, and try to target them. Or if any of them are on a yellow card, I'd have my players run with ball towards that defender, which is fun when they get sent off from a second yellow card lol.

And another look at the poll results reveals that the vast majority of players have mainly been using control/attacking mentalities. Really makes me wonder if that has anything to do with the game being too easy for most players... Is balanced mentality the new 4-4-2? 

On 12/02/2020 at 10:34, Thirsk said:

Long ball to a fast AF! I never would've thought of that! I always thought playing direct or long ball meant you had to use a TM...

Yeah, I had the same impression for many years that Long Ball = TM.

From memory, I came across this in a lower league scenario in the Challenge Cup a few years ago. I had a team with fast strikers and I couldn't really get my tactic working in the lower league. @Dar J and gave us all a hint that we had to remember it was low league, so I switched to Long Ball. I didn't have any TMs, so I kept using AFs and BAM it started working.

Damnit @Scratch I wish you replied sooner... because as of now, I actually no longer have a club after losing 4 games in a row in and falling out of the title race!! 😆 Reason being, I tried to make an all Aussie team in the A-league from the get go but it went so wrong in the second season. Like Unai Emery, I'm going to have to say it wasn't completely my fault - the team couldn't pass the ball for peanuts and always hid like scared little girls in the big matches!!

Sorry! Hope you try again. 🙂 I keep meaning to play a career in Australia, but haven't gotten around to it. Not quite sure why. I don't follow the A-League, even though I should. Maybe a career would help kick start that too! But we'll see.

But anyway... 😂 how strange that sometimes not selecting the passing focus to the right flank can end up more on the right flank. Could it be when the players have good decision making, they know better when to down the right? I wonder if creativity also has any part to play in this too...

Whenever I see my players have both good pace and aerial (for early crosses) but also have good wingbacks (for the overlap), I'd select neither in hope that it's a 50-50% attempt from both. Same with shoot on sight vs work in the box, or run with ball vs through balls. Is this how everyone else plays too?

One thing I just noticed from the poll results is that more people are playing through the centre than the flanks. I'm probably doing it wrong since I never had a good experience with the centre lol. What I'd like to know is how are you folks managing this, especially when the other team has 3 defenders or 1 or 2 DM?

All of this is sort of related in my head. I tend to leave more stuff to Mixed or leave settings like Early Crosses or Overlap off than I used to, at least with good players (ie with good Decisions value), as I *think* (or maybe it's just imagine) that they work out when it's best to do those things, instead of always trying to do that even when it's not the best choice. 

There might also be an element of the other team predicting what you're doing, eg if you always go down the flanks, maybe they can predict that and defend against it better and make it less effective. I'm not sure if that's real or my imagination though. And even if it is real, I'm not sure if that's a thing they've programmed in to the match engine on purpose or if it's just the way the match engine works.

4 hours ago, Scratch said:

There might also be an element of the other team predicting what you're doing, eg if you always go down the flanks, maybe they can predict that and defend against it better and make it less effective. I'm not sure if that's real or my imagination though.

Some truth in it ime. Not so much in predicting, but rather the formation and/or specific players you're up against. 

Not in every single career I play, but definitely the large majority, is that there's always 1-2 teams that are tough to beat. And I'm not talking about the big teams, no, teams like Watford or Sassuolo etc scraping draws or small wins and never a 4 or 5-0 wipe out like the rest of the pack. There's often those same specific teams around in a career that just with the combination of formation/players hold up very well against yours. Until.. the AI revamps the club.